PDA

View Full Version : Super Monkey Ball

DogcowUK
Jul 10, 2008, 01:10 PM
Ok.. it looks great but am I the only one finding it insanely difficult :o

I must have fallen off 50 times in the last 15 minutes and it's beginning to drive me nuts.

JakeN488
Jul 10, 2008, 01:14 PM
lol It's very hard for me as well... i just cant seem to get it :o

dazedandlost
Jul 10, 2008, 02:29 PM
Can't believe it, not available in iTunes Ireland yet !!!

terrrrrible
Jul 10, 2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, it seems like it takes some getting used to. Hard to figure out where exactly the "center" is.

tobefirst
Jul 10, 2008, 02:34 PM
I've only played the first few levels, but it is very difficult to get the hang of. You have to hold the phone at a 20° angle or so to get the ball to stand still. i wish that it were completely horizontal or vertical. I feel that would have made it a bit easier. I'll get used to it, though.

alabare
Jul 10, 2008, 02:44 PM
How the hell do you save your progress? Driving me nuts.

And there really should be some sort of accelerometer setting adjustment or something. My god Sega. I'm middle aged!

ncsmith4
Jul 10, 2008, 02:46 PM
Ok, glad Im not the only one. Its SO EFFING HARD!

Btw, does anyone know how to get OUT of the practice level and back to the main game? Am I missing something?

iunnohead
Jul 10, 2008, 02:53 PM
Ok, glad Im not the only one. Its SO EFFING HARD!

Btw, does anyone know how to get OUT of the practice level and back to the main game? Am I missing something?

Click the timer thing iirc. ;D

jsehome
Jul 10, 2008, 03:15 PM
Having difficulty with it here too. It's just too darn sensitive!
How about a sensitivity option???

Please, Saga, give us an update!!!

ChazDaSpaz
Jul 10, 2008, 03:16 PM
It's hard but I've become used to it now, it's a way better control method than it was on the GameCube. I think there's a way to pause but I seem to set it off without knowing what I've done?! I think you need to hold the iPhone vertically to activate pause, but by then your monkey will have fallen off the edge of the level... Am I right or is there a proper way to pause the game mid-level?

atari1356
Jul 10, 2008, 03:19 PM
It's hard, but very cool. I'm amazed at the image quality, and smoothness of the animation. A year ago I would never have thought an iPhone could do that.

I wish it had monkey bowling like the SuperMonkey Ball game for Nintendo DS. That will probably be a separate release. :D

chris1016
Jul 10, 2008, 03:20 PM
It's hard but I've become used to it now, it's a way better control method than it was on the GameCube. I think there's a way to pause but I seem to set it off without knowing what I've done?! I think you need to hold the iPhone vertically to activate pause, but by then your monkey will have fallen off the edge of the level... Am I right or is there a proper way to pause the game mid-level?

Tap the clock in the top-middle. ;)

I like the game, but it's very difficult!

alabare
Jul 10, 2008, 03:21 PM
Has anyone figured out how to save their progress so that you can pick back up where you left off when you return?

ChazDaSpaz
Jul 10, 2008, 03:49 PM
Tap the clock in the top-middle. ;)

I like the game, but it's very difficult!

Thank you! I must somehow manage to touch the clock when I hold the iPhone vertically... I thought that was how you pause it as well, to hold it vertically... :p

elistar
Jul 10, 2008, 03:51 PM
When I read all these comments above mine, it seems like the game super monkey ball is hard to get the hang of... Should I get it?

rglatter
Jul 10, 2008, 03:54 PM
it is very difficult but how many games have you played where you are tilting the controller and the screen? It is a very new way to control games.

I am also looking for a way to save your progress, I haven't found one yet.

Lava Lamp Freak
Jul 10, 2008, 03:56 PM
Just as I start to think I'm getting it, stupid monkey accelerates to a super speed and plummets to his death. :confused:

ChazDaSpaz
Jul 10, 2008, 03:57 PM
When I read all these comments above mine, it seems like the game super monkey ball is hard to get the hang of... Should I get it?

It's incredibly intuitive, you may find it too sensitive or too insensitive at first but after about 5 (or 10 at the most) minutes you'll get the hang of it and then you'll never go back. It's a great investment of £6/$10. :o

Michael CM1
Jul 10, 2008, 04:35 PM
You think out of all people that Sega would've thought to put some sort of settings thing on the game. It's WAY more difficult to control that Mario on a ball in Super Mario Galaxy. There also needs to be a setting for the camera. I don't want it to start flipping around every time I overcorrect because it's so erratic.

WIth an update, this will be a good game. Right now, it's kind of annoyingly hard. I also miss the other mini-games in the console versions, but I know it's just launch day.

Dorfdad
Jul 10, 2008, 04:58 PM
While I love the game graphically I am worried about the games for Iphone.

The motion control on ALL theses games is FAST and LOOSE which means unless a Game is made PERFECTLY they will control craptastic.. This has me worried.

GreenLightJerky
Jul 10, 2008, 05:11 PM
Its not that complicated. If you think about it, Monkeyball control is like putting a marble on a record sleeve and controlling the movement of the sleeve not the ball.

fluff
Jul 10, 2008, 05:19 PM
It gets easier and really fun, just tell me how to save my spot so I dont have to replay every level again...What am I missing??

JakeN488
Jul 10, 2008, 05:32 PM
I got the hang of it, awesome game!

awesomator
Jul 10, 2008, 07:03 PM
read this dont get up it is very hard at first but after a while probably 20 to 30 minutes it gets MUCh easyer.

For the question of saving is you cant save in between sets. Each set is ten levels one of them being a bonus level.

For each world there in 10 levels for easy and 10 different levels for hard.

beat all 20 to get to the next world.

koshper
Jul 10, 2008, 07:16 PM
hey guys

are there any mini games at all, there seems to be four options on the game screen to choose from.

just seems that it was crying out for them

ncsmith4
Jul 10, 2008, 07:20 PM
read this dont get up it is very hard at first but after a while probably 20 to 30 minutes it gets MUCh easyer.

For the question of saving is you cant save in between sets. Each set is ten levels one of them being a bonus level.

For each world there in 10 levels for easy and 10 different levels for hard.

beat all 20 to get to the next world.

So just to clarify... it DOES save your progress after you beat each set of levels? Or is it basically a brand new game every time you open it?

michaelsaxon
Jul 10, 2008, 07:32 PM
I like this game, but the camera doing its own thing on occasion is maddening.

onionperson654
Jul 10, 2008, 07:35 PM
hey guys

are there any mini games at all, there seems to be four options on the game screen to choose from.

just seems that it was crying out for them

Yeah, Monkey Ball was the first game I played on the Wii, and I rarely played the central game (primarily because it was single player). There were 50 mini-games that took up most of the time.

Someone mentioned that there was no monkey bowling. How about "flying bird?" Or the cannon shooting?... Anything?

cualexander
Jul 10, 2008, 09:51 PM
Super Monkey Ball really is amazing. It's hard as crap. Just when I'm going along good, he goes crazy. And if you tilt it the wrong way and get all turned around you can pretty much forget it.

But if someone told me I could play a 3D game on my cellphone one day, I would have told them they were crazy. It's my demo app for showing off the new firmware to people because everyone is like, geez thats your cellphone doing that?

Definitely worth the money. Now if I can just figure out how to take a corner well with no edges I'd be happy.

ncsmith4
Jul 10, 2008, 10:31 PM
I like this game, but the camera doing its own thing on occasion is maddening.

OH I KNOW! WTF is up with that? Cant the camera always be behind the monkey ball?

almostaskater62
Jul 10, 2008, 10:46 PM
okay so how do you unlock new stuff?
i completed the 1st 10 and it was like "congratulations" but nothing happened...

cualexander
Jul 10, 2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah after the first 10, you have to do the Hard levels which are actually different so you can unlock the next world.

Took me forever to get the first 10 unlocked and I stopped there. But its really cool. I mean I wouldn't have wanted it to be too easy. I have to stop playing. I'm addicted already.

beppo
Jul 10, 2008, 11:08 PM
the graphics don't seem that great(but that's just from the pictures)

southyde4eva
Jul 11, 2008, 12:36 AM
FWIW, For those of you that find the controls a little too "loose" with no way to adjust them in SMB, I just downloaded the Crash Bandicoot game and it allows you to control the sensitivity of the accelerometer in that app. I would give that one a shot if you like racing games, because its pretty fun too.

sam10685
Jul 11, 2008, 12:55 AM
Where is the board game Monopoly? And other board games.:confused:

robbiekins
Jul 11, 2008, 02:54 AM
Any way we could get Sega to release a quick patch for this to allow us to control sensitivity and to fix the darn rotating camera? This game is so good but those two problems are really just frustrating :(

mr.stinki
Jul 11, 2008, 02:57 AM
I swear, I was stuck in a stage, and i spent like an hour playing world 1 - Hard (I got stuck on the one with the platforms that move up and down), and after FINALLY passing that lever, the app crashed.

I didn't feel like playing anymore, but I got a laugh from it though xD.

Stardotboy
Jul 11, 2008, 03:27 AM
I must have played this game for about 25 minutes last night and it does get easier to control as you get used to it - still it's damn hard though!!

Taking corners with no edges... I still can't get the hang of it.

Great game to showcase what the phone can do graphically though - I'm impressed.

Korb91
Jul 11, 2008, 07:20 AM
It's definitely a fun game! I miss saving, though. So it doesn't save between the stages at all? You have to finish the entire world at one time to continue? That sucks.

TransientWolf
Jul 11, 2008, 07:45 AM
Downloaded on the app store over iPhone and wont work - keeps quitting to home screen after the splash screen and sega screen. £5.99 wasted :-(

I wonder if its like the AIM app that only worked properly if downloaded on the mac first then transferred over?

Anybody else had problems or bought over the air rather than on the mac/pc?

MooseDPM
Jul 11, 2008, 08:27 AM
i really wish there were an option to listen to my own music. especially if i could listen to my own music and still have the sound effects play. that would be awesome.

jthrasher
Jul 11, 2008, 08:50 AM
Yeah after the first 10, you have to do the Hard levels which are actually different so you can unlock the next world.

Took me forever to get the first 10 unlocked and I stopped there. But its really cool. I mean I wouldn't have wanted it to be too easy. I have to stop playing. I'm addicted already.

I finished the "hard" levels on the first map and it said congratulations but it didn't unlock a new map. Does anyone know how to get to the next map?

MooseDPM
Jul 11, 2008, 12:08 PM
I finished the "hard" levels on the first map and it said congratulations but it didn't unlock a new map. Does anyone know how to get to the next map?

you gotta collect all of the bananas and never fall off

asouns
Jul 11, 2008, 12:34 PM
Ok.. it looks great but am I the only one finding it insanely difficult :o

I must have fallen off 50 times in the last 15 minutes and it's beginning to drive me nuts.

wondering if there's a free download :D

Jeff321
Jul 11, 2008, 01:21 PM
I also found this game to be harder than expected. Even on easy difficulty, I keep falling off.

elistar
Jul 11, 2008, 04:15 PM
How do I buy an app? I click buy app and i type in my password, but it won't let me buy... I usually use itunes gift cards to buy form itunes, can i use it also for apps? or do i need a credit card?

brisweeney
Jul 11, 2008, 04:20 PM
i want super monkey ball!!!!!!

but i cant buy it from the u.s itunes store cause im in ireland, is there any other way to get it?

B1gMac
Jul 11, 2008, 04:49 PM
Pricing Problem?

Did anybody get overcharged when buying Super Monkey Ball?

I had a $15 dollar iTunes gift card. I only purchased the super monkey ball app, and now my balance says $4.27. That's about a 7.4% mark-up. Does that mean that there is tax for the apps????

Sherb
Jul 11, 2008, 05:27 PM
A fun game, but they need to let us adjust the sensitivity!

ChazDaSpaz
Jul 11, 2008, 05:33 PM
Pricing Problem?

Did anybody get overcharged when buying Super Monkey Ball?

I had a $15 dollar iTunes gift card. I only purchased the super monkey ball app, and now my balance says $4.27. That's about a 7.4% mark-up. Does that mean that there is tax for the apps????

I've heard that some states get taxed on top of the price the Apple Store shows. So some people see the prices on iTunes store without tax.

Dorfdad
Jul 11, 2008, 05:36 PM
How the hell do you save your progress? Driving me nuts.

And there really should be some sort of accelerometer setting adjustment or something. My god Sega. I'm middle aged!

Crash Bandicot Racing has this and it's AWSOME so you can set it. I think everyone needs to include this from now on out and SEGA needs to update this one with that as well.

Another thing I dislike about this game is when the phone rings you bail out and when your done with the call. Tough you start all over.

gusapple
Jul 11, 2008, 05:43 PM
Dang, it keeps on saying that my iPhone can't be written to or something. :(

westernmass
Jul 11, 2008, 09:03 PM
Downloaded on the app store over iPhone and wont work - keeps quitting to home screen after the splash screen and sega screen. £5.99 wasted :-(

I wonder if its like the AIM app that only worked properly if downloaded on the mac first then transferred over?

Anybody else had problems or bought over the air rather than on the mac/pc?

Same problem here!!! Anyone else if was problem before point to place to get help please. :)

00hkelly
Jul 11, 2008, 09:14 PM
I am loving this game and not finding it too hard. I have found that the trick is to use pretty tiny sideways movements, whereas you can be quite vigourous with the up/down.

Just remember; really small sideways movements, slowly. Ie. as your coming to a corner, slowly start a very gentle turn. Rather than getting there and slamming it down to the left/right.

Hope that helps somebody,

westernmass
Jul 11, 2008, 09:17 PM
Same problem here!!! Anyone else if was problem before point to place to get help please. :)

Okay I was trying to play with it pluged into to the charger. I unplugged it and rebooted and works fine. WOW this is tough game I can see hours of fun :)

robbiekins
Jul 11, 2008, 10:46 PM
Controlling that monkey is more difficult than learning to parallel park.

Red Sox
Jul 11, 2008, 11:38 PM
It took me a few tries to get the hang of it, and now I'm hooked. I think it is an excellent game. So far I unlocked the second level, and it is very challenging.

trunksu
Jul 12, 2008, 03:57 AM
ditto for me. the keys are

1. learning the controls. it's super important to learn where the "neutral" position is. once you u can keep the monkey ball from moving forward/backward. you'll have a much easier time.

2. don't speed through lvls. it's fine in the beginning but at the end precision is way more important.

i was super frustrated at first to the point i thought i wasted $10. but once i figured out what the neutral position is, the game became really fun.

Dorfdad
Jul 12, 2008, 07:45 AM
IM still not sold on the controls, but im getting there still hard some of these maps are too thin! Ok so after I complete a level and I did not get all the bannanas I have to replay the entire section of maps again!? to clear those?

So basically unless you get every bannana every map do not move on or it will not open the next set?!?

Can't I complete the section and just click on the ones I need to re-do?

happylittlemac
Jul 12, 2008, 08:44 AM
I'm also not convinced about the controls with Super Monkey Ball or any that use the accelerometer for control. I look forward to the possibility of a button-controller addon that could plug into the iPhone or Touch, accelerometer control is overrated.

DogcowUK
Jul 12, 2008, 09:57 AM
The biggest problem is the camera rotating, suddenly your attempt to roll left can become a big roll in another direction. Finding the neutral point and not using large movements is definitely the key, it's such a shame it isn't a game you can hand to anyone and let them play.

Nitromaster
Jul 12, 2008, 10:34 AM
i want super monkey ball!!!!!!

but i cant buy it from the u.s itunes store cause im in ireland, is there any other way to get it?

Same here

Sega fail :(
I spent over half an hour looking for Super Monkey Ball on the Irish store with no luck. I only realised it wasn't available when I clicked a link and it said it wasn't available in the irish store :(

Theres only 1 game when I go to the Games section on the Irish store, 'Mr Shuffle'

baseballbent
Jul 12, 2008, 12:18 PM
I beat the game last night. I posted a picture of the last level in the thread called "super monkey ball challenge"

It was hard at first but after I got used to it I could breze through the levels

03sho
Jul 12, 2008, 12:46 PM
Man, how hard are the controls.

Whorehay
Jul 12, 2008, 01:39 PM
I beat the game last night. I posted a picture of the last level in the thread called "super monkey ball challenge"

It was hard at first but after I got used to it I could breze through the levels

Does it have any replay value or is that just $10 out the window? Haha.

itsaka
Jul 12, 2008, 01:46 PM
I've definitely felt the same way a lot of you are expressing. At first, failed miserably playing it due to how sensitive the controls are and figured I just wasted $10 bucks. After playing it for like 10 - 15 minutes, you start to figure out sweet spots and how to control it without making the monkey ball go nuts. I found myself holding the upper left-hand corner with my left hand and holding the lower right-hand corner with my right hand. I find it keeps it more stable and allows for more precise tilting. That probably won't make any sense to anyone.

I do wish they would add the ability to allow for the user to pick how the camera interacts with the monkey ball. Once the camera gets turned around where I'm seeing the front my character and its moving literally towards you, all I have to say to that is... Good luck! Might as well just restart the level.

MattGTO
Jul 12, 2008, 02:25 PM
I have absolutely no problem with the game...the sensitivity is definitely needed on some of the higher levels, I use the rotating camera to my advantage, and I am now exactly half-way through the game (desert hard) :D

Sega won with this.

greenmymac
Jul 12, 2008, 02:26 PM
I have absolutely no problem with the game...the sensitivity is definitely needed on some of the higher levels, I use the rotating camera to my advantage, and I am now exactly half-way through the game (desert hard) :D

Sega won with this.

This game is so hard.....

MattGTO
Jul 12, 2008, 02:55 PM
http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p328/MattGTO/IMG_0041.png

Finally...almost done!!!:D

meagain
Jul 12, 2008, 03:49 PM
Matt - wow. Nice.
Need more nice games like this. Very nice! I've gotten a bit used to it but can't finish level 7 (I think) yet.

eddx
Jul 12, 2008, 04:35 PM
I love Super Monkey Ball!!!

MattGTO
Jul 12, 2008, 05:42 PM
The hardest level so far...level 10 on Space Case easy...its impossible.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p328/MattGTO/IMG_0061.png

I've tried 100 times, still no cigar...I've gotten to the final platform, but my time ran out. :mad:

pianoplayer1
Jul 12, 2008, 06:43 PM
Im stuck on level 6 desert easy - the one with the gradual humps... I always end up going to slow and then i lose control.

Is it just me or is it only too sensitive when you are moving slowly?

EDIT: nevermind - i got it this second

nintendofreak93
Jul 12, 2008, 06:51 PM
Is there a way to save if you don't complete a world and difficulty?
As in If I get to 2.7 on easy, then quit, I have to start back at 2.1, right?

MattGTO
Jul 12, 2008, 07:11 PM
Is there a way to save if you don't complete a world and difficulty?
As in If I get to 2.7 on easy, then quit, I have to start back at 2.1, right?

not presently...it was really annoying as I accidently pressed the home button on 5.10 on easy...:mad:

DiamondMac
Jul 12, 2008, 10:08 PM
Some don't like it so difficult

I enjoy that. I don't want a game that is so easy that I beat it within a few days

nintendofreak93
Jul 12, 2008, 11:01 PM
Some don't like it so difficult

I enjoy that. I don't want a game that is so easy that I beat it within a few days

The Wii one is difficult with GOOD control.
The iPhone/iPod Touch one is difficult with HORRIBLE control.

bigm978
Jul 12, 2008, 11:13 PM
does it matter which of the four characters you use or are they all the same

rishio
Jul 13, 2008, 12:08 AM
I didn't like the game at first - but after a net 3 or 4 hours of play I began to appreciate the sensitivity. Enjoyment is kind of acquired as you understand how to control the monkey..

Just completed the easy level (i think that's 10 scenes..). I'm hooked!

rotarypower101
Jul 13, 2008, 02:37 AM
I really believe either the accelerometer or the programming for the accelerometer on the 3G must be different from the original iphone, my guess is the former.

Try and use the game on a first gen phone and then switch over to the 3G…. form your own opinions, but after playing on both, the original iphone feels much easier playing the same levels for me.

It seems like the neutral point is much fatter and the ball doesn’t seem to speed off so quickly.

Anyone care to add to or corroborate that theory?

pianoplayer1
Jul 13, 2008, 08:43 AM
I really believe either the accelerometer or the programming for the accelerometer on the 3G must be different from the original iphone, my guess is the former.

Try and use the game on a first gen phone and then switch over to the 3G…. form your own opinions, but after playing on both, the original iphone feels much easier playing the same levels for me.

It seems like the neutral point is much fatter and the ball doesn’t seem to speed off so quickly.

Anyone care to add to or corroborate that theory?

Well, I'm on the original and I like it...
Have you actually tried both or you are just guessing? Maybe its the shape of the new phone - or it could be your theory.

EDIT: sry I just saw that you wrote "after playing on both"
So you felt a clear difference?

Korb91
Jul 13, 2008, 09:08 AM
So I have to get all the bananas with one try to get a crown? Cause I got all the bananas in level 6, but didn't get a crown, same as level 8, 9 and 10. How can I reach the second world. Get every crown or beat the hard mode?

pianoplayer1
Jul 13, 2008, 09:18 AM
So I have to get all the bananas with one try to get a crown? Cause I got all the bananas in level 6, but didn't get a crown, same as level 8, 9 and 10. How can I reach the second world. Get every crown or beat the hard mode?

Just beat the hard mode - you don't need any crowns - but if you want crowns its all the bananas in one try. After you fall off once, the banana count indicator will leave the screen.

Another thought: I think the controls are fine - im in volcano easy now. When you get far enough, go back in practice mode to world one, easy, level 7 (the "hard" one).

I now can easily get it in one try.

ToM-RSC
Jul 13, 2008, 09:43 AM
I loooove this game! :D

Volcano hard now. :D

Edit: Space Easy - Stuck on level 5. - I think. :P

Edit 2: Now stuck on 5.9 easy argh.

Edit 3: Playing on the Matt's dreaded level of doom. 5.10 easy. :( This is impossible!

Edit 4: I'd like to take a quote from Matt where I got the same: 'I've gotten to the final platform, but my time ran out. '

thesdx
Jul 13, 2008, 10:53 AM
I'm about to buy it, but I've heard some negative reviews of it, saying that the accelerometer controls are too sensitive and hard to use. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion here before I buy it. Is this true?

kkachurak
Jul 13, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'm about to buy it, but I've heard some negative reviews of it, saying that the accelerometer controls are too sensitive and hard to use. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion here before I buy it. Is this true?

It has a learning curve, but don't let that scare you. Took me about 30 minutes of consistent playing to learn where the neutral position is and how to easily maneuver the monkey.

***Speaking of which - are we tilting the monkey or the platforms? 'Cause it seems to me that we're tilting the platforms and the ball is just rolling at its own discretion.***

After you get past the learning curve, this is that game you'll be opening up while waiting at the Dentists or DMV. You just click and go and it's fun to kill some time. Just be sure to turn the volume down :)

pianoplayer1
Jul 13, 2008, 11:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Got space easy 10 on my second try xD

The game is tricky but very fun if you are patient and very careful.

ooo
Jul 13, 2008, 11:34 AM
I'm still stuck on 1.7 =(, but I'm not complaining. It seems to me that we are tilting the board as well.

nintendofreak93
Jul 13, 2008, 12:24 PM
I'm still stuck on 1.7 =(, but I'm not complaining. It seems to me that we are tilting the board as well.

That one was HELL!

*GG*
Jul 13, 2008, 12:31 PM

That's the one I am stuck on as well - I don't think I shall ever get passed it.

cualexander
Jul 13, 2008, 12:42 PM
I too was stuck on 1.7 forever. You just have to tilt it up at the right times to slow down around the turns. Easier said than done I know. It took me forever to beat it but I just sat down the other night and kept playing and playing and it was great once I beat it.

I've replayed it a couple times since then and its just as hard.

Sdancott
Jul 13, 2008, 02:36 PM
I have a problem with super monkey ball, the sound during gameplay is constantly low, like, really low, can hardly hear it. the sound on everything else is OK, music, videos, other apps etc. just super monkey ball, turning up music and SFX in game settings makes little difference, i've tried deleting and re-installing, even re-downloading the app from iTunes, but no good. anyone else have this problem?

findnemo
Jul 13, 2008, 04:23 PM
Wasted 10$. Worst controls ever. Even the free beer game has better/more accurate acceleration.

It seams to me the way it's based is that what ever the direction the monkey faces......the control changes based on that.

Every other game based on the accelerometer is absolutely perfect (chopper.) However this game is just flawed. They need to base the controls on the ball and not the monkey.

The free box game is another example of good acceleration.

AHDuke99
Jul 13, 2008, 05:52 PM
So this game can't save progress? Are you serious? This is a travesty.

krimedog
Jul 13, 2008, 06:04 PM
Why can't it save the state so that I don't need to restart if I get a phone call????? By the way, I hated this game in the beginning because the controls were SO HARD. But now I love the controls. It's a challenging game, I'm only on the 2nd stage (Hard Levels).

pianoplayer1
Jul 13, 2008, 06:26 PM
I'm stuck on 100 - (space 10 hard) - and I pressed the home button by accident :(

I Finished!!!

buccsmf1
Jul 13, 2008, 06:51 PM
i personally think its a great game. outstanding graphics, great level design, solid controls. it also will probably take 4-5 hours to beat.... so its not like you pay $10 and finish it in 45 minutes. yes, there is a learning curve for the controls but i had mastered them in about 20 minutes.

yayaba
Jul 14, 2008, 01:27 AM
There definitely is a learning curve. I think the real test for everyone is 1.7 easy. Before then all the edges have rails.

I've played maybe an hour now and I can feel myself "getting" it. I got past 1.7 and the first time I tried world 1 on hard I got all the way to the sixth stage. Not bad.

You definitely need to find the center point though. It's the only way to not make the ball move like crazy.

r21hugo
Jul 14, 2008, 01:41 AM
i think the main thing with this game is the the center is not with the phone parallel to the ground but rather hold it in a 45 degree angle.. that 's the center and it's also ergonomic ;)

nikiski
Jul 14, 2008, 03:00 AM
Downloaded on the app store over iPhone and wont work - keeps quitting to home screen after the splash screen and sega screen.

It did that to me too, but after shutting down my iPod touch and then restarting it made it work.

ju5tin81
Jul 14, 2008, 01:55 PM
Just as I start to think I'm getting it, stupid monkey accelerates to a super speed and plummets to his death. :confused:

Ha ha, me too... Level 10 on 'hard'! That hilly bit at the end driving me nuts!

I Finished!!!

git :o

B1gMac
Jul 14, 2008, 02:04 PM
The real key to the controls, as someone posted on here before, is that you need to carefully bear left and right, but you can move up and down much quicker without disorienting your monkey...lol

Scott90
Jul 14, 2008, 04:10 PM
After finally having completed level 1.9 with a crown I now have unlocked the hidden stage. To complete it isn't that hard, but to complete it with a crown seems impossible to me at this moment. I tried for 45 seconds to get only 1 banana, but I couldn't. Any tips how to complete it with a crown ? Should I roll in the same direction as the moving island or the opposite ?

pianoplayer1
Jul 14, 2008, 04:31 PM
After finally having completed level 1.9 with a crown I now have unlocked the hidden stage. To complete it isn't that hard, but to complete it with a crown seems impossible to me at this moment. I tried for 45 seconds to get only 1 banana, but I couldn't. Any tips how to complete it with a crown ? Should I roll in the same direction as the moving island or the opposite ?

I just started replaying the game to get the hidden stages - and so far thats the only one I unlocked.

I have the same problem but I have an idea on how to do it. All the bananas are at equal radius from the center, so try getting one banana and staying stationary in the same circle while the bananas come to you.

Scott90
Jul 15, 2008, 10:19 AM
Well, after having played for a long time on some very hard levels I now am at 4.4 easy. Well, it says easy, but it seems impossible to me. It's that level with those blocks flipping in the opposite direction... How did you do it ? By staying in the middle, on one side ? Or by moving from one side to the other all the way long ? High speed or slowly ?

ChrisN
Jul 15, 2008, 10:22 AM
Can someone tell how to save in this game. I just can't seem to find a way.

ChrisN

pianoplayer1
Jul 15, 2008, 05:07 PM
Well, after having played for a long time on some very hard levels I now am at 4.4 easy. Well, it says easy, but it seems impossible to me. It's that level with those blocks flipping in the opposite direction... How did you do it ? By staying in the middle, on one side ? Or by moving from one side to the other all the way long ? High speed or slowly ?
I think kinda midway between the middle and end. And a moderate speed. Just try to stay in control. I kinda just got lucky every time I played it.
ChrisN
Every time you finish 10 levels at a difficulty (bananas do NOT matter), and you see "CONGRATULATIONS!", the game saves.

Niiro13
Jul 15, 2008, 05:14 PM

ChrisN

There isn't currently...one of the largest drawbacks of this game.

JoshJosh117
Jul 15, 2008, 05:56 PM
I can't get past freaking level 7!:mad:

ChrisN
Jul 15, 2008, 08:17 PM
Ok I just beat all of the first 10 levels on the first world but the second world won't unlock, i am missing 3 or 4 gold crowns but besides that i did the other ones perfectly, why won't the 2nd world unlock?

ChrisN

pianoplayer1
Jul 15, 2008, 08:19 PM
***Crowns do not unlock anything except the last hidden levels***

Click on the same world, and choose the "HARD" difficulty. When you finish that series you will unlock the next world.

ChrisN
Jul 15, 2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks pianoman1 i just thought hard meant you have less time to complete it :/.

ChrisN

pianoplayer1
Jul 15, 2008, 08:23 PM
My iPhone just buzzed this second...

I guess MobileMe push email really does work

ooo
Jul 15, 2008, 08:56 PM
I just beat 1.7 and I lost at 1.10.... great now I have to redo all that =(

ChrisN
Jul 15, 2008, 09:00 PM
I like how they say do you want to continue and give you 5 more lives:D

ChrisN

dalvin200
Jul 16, 2008, 01:06 PM
I can't get past freaking level 7!:mad:

ack.. me too...

it's driving me crazy...

i even just practice level 7 with infinite lives and i still cant beat it!! PITA..

will get it eventually, but with no saving progress, it's gonna be really annoying really quick...

B1gMac
Jul 17, 2008, 01:59 PM
I think another good feature to have would be the ability to listen to your own iPod's music while playing Super Monkey Ball

Jeff321
Jul 17, 2008, 11:29 PM
Well I got a bit farther. I'm on World 3 Easy. It's getting kind of tough to get through all 10 levels at once, even with using all of the continues, heh.

t.white
Jul 18, 2008, 12:52 AM
I've almost passed the game (without bonus levels). I just died on the 9th level in the 'Hard' half of the final world. Almost...

pianoplayer1
Jul 18, 2008, 07:15 AM
I've almost passed the game (without bonus levels). I just died on the 9th level in the 'Hard' half of the final world. Almost...

That ones a killer. I suggest going really, really, fast over the vertical gears and then slowing the monkey when you get to the first horizontal one.

DreamPod
Jul 19, 2008, 01:37 AM
I just got this game, and I think the problem with the controls that makes it so hard for beginners is not really the sensitivity. It's that there's absolutely no dead space - the Wii version, for example, you have to tilt the controller a certain amount before it starts affecting the world. Not much, just a little bit, but that little bit makes a huge difference - it's always easy to return to level, and know that you are holding it perfectly steady at level.

Someone asked the difference between the monkeys, in the previous versions of the game, they had different mass: the first two monkeys were average, the baby was super light, the ape was super heavy. Not sure if this one is the same.

Oh, and am I the only person who thinks it lame that you've got this amazing 3D world, but the monkey is quite obviously a stationary 2D sprite with only a few frames of animation?

nintendofreak93
Jul 19, 2008, 10:46 AM
I just got this game, and I think the problem with the controls that makes it so hard for beginners is not really the sensitivity. It's that there's absolutely no dead space - the Wii version, for example, you have to tilt the controller a certain amount before it starts affecting the world. Not much, just a little bit, but that little bit makes a huge difference - it's always easy to return to level, and know that you are holding it perfectly steady at level.

Someone asked the difference between the monkeys, in the previous versions of the game, they had different mass: the first two monkeys were average, the baby was super light, the ape was super heavy. Not sure if this one is the same.

Oh, and am I the only person who thinks it lame that you've got this amazing 3D world, but the monkey is quite obviously a stationary 2D sprite with only a few frames of animation?

QFT. The monkey is 2D it's so fricken stupid. And the motion doesn't go with the ball, you tilt with the monkey and which way it's facing in the iphone one. thats why its so hard to control.

tkermit
Jul 19, 2008, 09:48 PM
I think another good feature to have would be the ability to listen to your own iPod's music while playing Super Monkey Ball

As far as I can see, that is already possible. If there's music playing when you start up the game, it will pause and be replaced with the in-game background music, but as soon as you are on the game's main screen or during gameplay, you can double-tap the home-button and press the play button to resume your own music and then play on.

adamfishercox
Jul 28, 2008, 08:43 PM
a game is total shut. It needs to be less sensitive and save after every level. I still haven't gotten past level 1.7.

scotty96LSC
Jul 28, 2008, 08:45 PM
I've taken mine out of the rotation for a while. Maybe a fix will make it less sensitive. I'm sticking with Trism for now.

paulinhadrp
Jul 28, 2008, 11:32 PM
This game is irritating the heck out of me!! How can I be so uncoordinated?
I hate these stupid little monkeys! I so wished I was good, because the game looks like it would be so much fun if I ever managed to move my monkey where I wanted him... I suck...

Mr. Giver '94
Jul 28, 2008, 11:54 PM
So after reading all of this, I ask you, should I get it? Is it fun or just irritating? Also wondering if it gives a reasonable amount of time to complete each level.

Red Sox
Jul 29, 2008, 12:05 AM
I just finished beating it. I think I died 50 times on the very last level before I was able to beat it. It takes patience and skill!

In my opinion, it is worth the $10.

toxicbomber
Sep 12, 2008, 09:17 PM
I just finished beating it. I think I died 50 times on the very last level before I was able to beat it. It takes patience and skill!

In my opinion, it is worth the $10.

Sorry for the bump but I JUST finished it twice. Once was not enough for me. THis game is well worth your money. Give it time and practice. Then you will be a pro!

adamfishercox
Sep 12, 2008, 09:33 PM
I've given it way more time than I'd like and have nothing to show for it. Fact is, it's a crappy app because even though its possible to figure out how to use it, it takes way to long and the fun is lost.

zap2
Sep 12, 2008, 09:34 PM
Could have been great, but if the end, it was sub par....not worth the 9.99. One of the worse app I've bought.

Oh well!

toxicbomber
Sep 12, 2008, 11:02 PM
Apparently you guys aren't hardcore gamers. :p

Gokunama
Sep 13, 2008, 01:24 PM
Love the game, but since my iPhone keeps crashing, I'm getting a bit tired of having to start again from level 1.

toxicbomber
Sep 17, 2008, 07:51 PM
I will admit I was like this: "WHAT ENDING SCENE?" :( Sega fail. I worked for nothing. :P

DenniZ
Sep 18, 2008, 01:26 PM
I think the little diagram that shows how much your tilting (on the tutorial) should be on permanently not just the tutorial.

redgaz26
Sep 18, 2008, 03:03 PM
I've not played it for a while but I will go back to it, I'll tell you this though it's much better than star wars;)

gocardsfan1
Sep 19, 2008, 03:27 PM
After all this time I have finally beaten the entire game! That includes getting all the bananas on all of the levels, even the hidden stages!!

luhem181
Feb 23, 2009, 08:25 PM
Is there some kind of record on the youngest person to finish super monkey ball on apple iphone. My son finished all 5 islands (200 levels) right before his 3rd birthday.

wvuwhat
Feb 24, 2009, 03:09 AM
Is there some kind of record on the youngest person to finish super monkey ball on apple iphone. My son finished all 5 islands (200 levels) right before his 3rd birthday.

Impressive. I'm 22 and haven't been able to do that yet.

RTiii320
Mar 14, 2009, 12:28 PM

There is actually 105 levels, and i find it unimaginable that a 2 year old could finish this whole game

and as others have said... level 5.10 easy, seems impossible, not enough time to cover such a large map! frustrating!

kevin0807
Mar 14, 2009, 12:54 PM
i am proud to say that i finished this game and beat all the levels. took a week or so. haha

OneMike
Mar 14, 2009, 01:01 PM
^ guess I have to start playing more. I like that game but am no where near done.

OrangeCuse44
Mar 22, 2009, 10:04 AM
Is your progress saved or do you have to beat this all in one shot?

intempo808
Mar 22, 2009, 04:23 PM
I love Super Monkey Ball. It was the first app I downloaded, which was when all that chaos happened with the release of 2.0, when the servers went down or something crazy like that, I dunno.

You get used to the controls after a while, but, admittedly, they are slightly oversensitive! Still, the game is worth £5.99, which is how much it cost when I brought it!
:rolleyes: