Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Remote Desktop Client version 1.2.4 in your Software Update:

The Apple Remote Desktop Client version 1.2.4 update delivers improvements to security, performance, and reliability of the Apple Remote Desktop 1.2 client software running on Mac OS X versions 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3. For more information on this update, please refer to http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n107670 [/url]

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm always a little wary about installing ARD updates. When we first installed Apple Remote Desktop Client 1.2 at school, it didn't work and then we couldn't reinstall version 1.1 either, until I figured out to trash the version 1.2 Receipts file by hand before running the version 1.1 installer. They probably have these upgrade issues ironed out now, I suppose.

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I don't have ARD so why did it pop up in SW update for me?. Is this apart of the OS? like apache, should I install this.

a_kim

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
DC
tricked

I was tricked. Got all psyched about 10.3.2 showing up in software update, and then saw Remote Desktop Client. Oh well.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by Mr.Hey
I don't have ARD so why did it pop up in SW update for me?. Is this apart of the OS? like apache, should I install this.

ARD client is part of Panther.
If you don't use it, no real need to install it. But I can't imagine it doing any harm... (could be forced to eat these words later on :D )

oogje

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2002
nyc
Where's the new command line tool located:

---
Enhancements delivered with this update

+ Includes a new command line tool [that] can be used in lieu of the GUI preference pane.
---

I didn't see it in the Archive.bom

Thanks,

ber

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I just installed it, but it brings be to an annoyance I have been experiencing with SWU. I moved all of my iApps to a folder in my Applications folder to clean up the general clutter but because they are not directly in the Applications folder, I keep getting told that I need to install the latest updates for iMovie and iTunes when I already have the current versions. Is there a way to make SWU think they are already installed so they don't pop up all the time?

Back on topic, though, it seems to have worked just fine, so don't worry about the update. I haven't experienced any issues after installing perhaps 40 minutes ago.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
A problem we've been having with ARD at our 10.2.8 Server-run school with Panther clients:
Code:
Oct 30 15:57:54 localhost
/System/Library/LoginPlugins/URLMountUIProxy.loginPlugin/Contents/Resources/UIProxyServer.app/Contents/MacOS/UIProxyServer:
kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of session
allowed for root and console user only
^^^
That's ARD Agent trying to launch under the wrong account at the wrong time.
That's a Panther machine that hangs at logout.
Nearly any network user that logs out will not see the login screen return.
I was so damn excited to go about installing ARD 1.2.4 on all my Panther machines...until I found out it didn't help.

10.3.2 won't help either.

xtekdiver

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
ARD vrs VPC

I use ARD quite a bit. It is actually faster on my 1GHz G4 than running VPC. I use it because my work makes me write in .Net still. I am hoping the new VPC on a G5 will allow me to do this without ARD (the screen redraw is still a bit slow in higher screen resolutions), but on a G4 VPC is really unusable, so ARD works well. I have never had a problem with it so if the update makes it work faster all the better.

Anyone know of a remote client for connecting to Linux?

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: ARD vrs VPC

Originally posted by xtekdiver
I use ARD quite a bit. It is actually faster on my 1GHz G4 than running VPC. I use it because my work makes me write in .Net still. I am hoping the new VPC on a G5 will allow me to do this without ARD (the screen redraw is still a bit slow in higher screen resolutions), but on a G4 VPC is really unusable, so ARD works well. I have never had a problem with it so if the update makes it work faster all the better.

Anyone know of a remote client for connecting to Linux?

1. You're talking about RDC, not ARD. ARD is Mac-to-Mac. RDC is many-to-Windows XP/2K Terminal Server.

2. Chicken of the VNC is a Mac OS X client for VNC. (There's also a server version, OSXvnc.) If you're using a standard Linux distribution, you should be able to start a VNC server by typing "vncserver", providing a password then go into Chicken of the VNC and type the hostname and password and the display number (which will be part of the response when you start vncserver). You can kill the vncserver by typing vncserver -kill :1 (for display 1, :2 for display 2, :0 for display 0, etc.). It's best to tunnel it through SSH, but I leave that as an exercise for the reader.

3. Better for Mac to Linux is ssh+X11. If you have X11 on your computer, start it, then in THE TERMINAL THAT COMES UP IN X11, type ssh hostname -X -l username (that's a capital ex, a lower case ell; use an ip address if necessary for the hostname). This will give you the ability to run programs on your Linux computer and have the UI appear on the Mac.

4. Before doing ANY of this, go to your linux box and type man ssh and man vncserver . You should do searches on X tunneling, ssh, and vnc as well on google.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Originally posted by TylerL
A problem we've been having with ARD at our 10.2.8 Server-run school with Panther clients:
That's ARD Agent trying to launch under the wrong account at the wrong time.
That's a Panther machine that hangs at logout.
Nearly any network user that logs out will not see the login screen return.
I was so damn excited to go about installing ARD 1.2.4 on all my Panther machines...until I found out it didn't help.

10.3.2 won't help either.

That's really odd - I have a number of 10.3.1 machines running ARD with a 10.2.8 server (also running ARD) and I haven't had any of the troubles you describe. I think you might want to examine another avenue of blame for this odd problem...

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I just installed it, but it brings be to an annoyance I have been experiencing with SWU. I moved all of my iApps to a folder in my Applications folder to clean up the general clutter but because they are not directly in the Applications folder, I keep getting told that I need to install the latest updates for iMovie and iTunes when I already have the current versions. Is there a way to make SWU think they are already installed so they don't pop up all the time?

Well, you could tell SWU to Ignore the updates ("Update" menu).

However, the bigger problem is that OS X might not recognize that the iApps are installed, causing many problems down the road.

Personally, I initially did the same thing -- organizing my Applications like I did in OS 9 and earlier, in various sub-categorized folders -- but then I found LaunchBar, with which I can launch any application with 3 or 4 keystrokes. Sure my Applications folder is a mess, but I never, ever have to open it.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Originally posted by mustang_dvs
That's really odd - I have a number of 10.3.1 machines running ARD with a 10.2.8 server (also running ARD) and I haven't had any of the troubles you describe. I think you might want to examine another avenue of blame for this odd problem...
Are your clients bound to NetInfo with a few automounts for network home folders?

(Also, disabling ARD on client machines "fixes" the problem for us.)

oogje

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2002
nyc
Replying to my own question about the ARD command line tool. I asked (and was answered) on Apple's boards.

"/System/Library/CoreServices/ARD Agent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart" -h

ber

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
This showed up in my Panther software update today but for the life of me I can't find the actual application in Finder. Help a newbie out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.