PDA

View Full Version : Golf Apps

TopToffee
Jul 10, 2008, 03:07 PM
Has anyone tried out any of the golf applications yet?
Trying to decide which one to pick up tomorrow... kinda tough to tell which is better to go for...

J

Jiddick ExRex
Jul 10, 2008, 03:22 PM
I second this.

So far there are:

Golf Tracker
Hey, what's my golf score?
Tee shot
Birdie
Golf Ace

Seems as if Tee shot has most functionality (you can create custom courses and such) while also being the most expensive.

It's annoying that there's only 1 screenshot of all the apps, since I don't want to pay overprice for Tee shot if the cheaper Golf Tracker has the same functions. And no way in hell I am paying for all of them!

Anyone tried them? I am playing Saturday and would really like to buy one that works fine for me instead of having to rewrite my score in three different apps...

edit: Golf ace and Birdie both have one click strokes so you only have to tap to increase your score by one. This seems like a much more intuitive way of counting the scores instead of having to type the scores in all the time. These new apps are just as expensive as Tee Shot so I might try one of them, perhaps Birdie first.

aerospace
Jul 10, 2008, 03:36 PM
If your concerned about buying an app you might not like I'd wait a week or so until we have more reviews. I hope someone creates a site listing more info on all apps, itunes has no info for some of them.

Eventually itunes will have ratings and reviews but I would rather get info from someone here who knows a thing or 2, rather than knowing the average person says it 3/5 stars...not very helpful

ajnvt
Jul 10, 2008, 04:09 PM
What I would love to see, and I can't see how it could be all that hard, is a company that already has a golf GPS device to make an app for the iPhone. The courses are already mapped, so the overhead would be very low. The only downside for them would be that they couldn't charge $250-$450 for the program. But I'd be happy to pay $50 or so for something like that...

TopToffee
Jul 10, 2008, 06:11 PM
yeah... I guess we just have to remember this is just the start of a very long road as far as the release of iphone apps is concerned... I think there's a tendency to subconsciously think (probably because there are so many apps available at launch) that what we have now is what we have to make do with.

mathewr
Jul 10, 2008, 07:16 PM
What I would love to see, and I can't see how it could be all that hard, is a company that already has a golf GPS device to make an app for the iPhone. The courses are already mapped, so the overhead would be very low. The only downside for them would be that they couldn't charge $250-$450 for the program. But I'd be happy to pay $50 or so for something like that...

when they announced the new iphone i wrote about this. i think this would be a great program. although i couldnt get it cause ive decided to stick with my original iphone

t0mat0
Jul 10, 2008, 07:21 PM
GPS will be coming. I''d imagine it's just a matter of time.

jpruitt
Jul 10, 2008, 10:26 PM
It looks like Birdie uses GPS to show your distance to the hole. This will more than likely be the app that I buy.

I did like one of the other features from the other app, can't remember which one, but you could have each players photo beside their score. much easier to glance and change... or at least for me.

Buschmaster
Jul 10, 2008, 10:40 PM
I have one in the works right now that'll be $4.99. Hopefully it can blow these other ones away as far as features...

The current offerings seem either too expensive or too lackluster, although I haven't actually used them so who am I to say.

ghayenga
Jul 11, 2008, 09:54 AM
I have one in the works right now that'll be $4.99. Hopefully it can blow these other ones away as far as features...

The current offerings seem either too expensive or too lackluster, although I haven't actually used them so who am I to say.

You're right. *Way* too expensive.

If you've got a good basic one for $4.99 then I'll wait and won't write my own. I hate wasting my time duplicating someone else effort.

Buschmaster
Jul 11, 2008, 10:03 AM
You're right. *Way* too expensive.

If you've got a good basic one for $4.99 then I'll wait and won't write my own. I hate wasting my time duplicating someone else effort.
Hopefully a lot of the duplicating slows down once we're a good half of a year into the app store and a lot of the half-assed developers stop.

I'll PM you a feature list of my golf app and you can decide for yourself if you need to make one.

duffergeek
Jul 13, 2008, 11:40 AM
There is more info about TeeShot, including lots of screenshots, at the TeeShot Live (http://www.teeshotlive.com) website.

Also, most of the apps have multiple screenshots if you look at them in iTunes.

I am surprised the folks who play golf would be so freaked out by $20.00, or even $5.00 for a piece of software. How much do you spend on greens fees, or even golf balls each round? :)

OrangeCuse44
Jul 13, 2008, 01:13 PM
iYardage is free and tracks scores and yardage to holes. GPS version is coming soon it says.

ghayenga
Jul 14, 2008, 09:03 AM
There is more info about TeeShot, including lots of screenshots, at the TeeShot Live (http://www.teeshotlive.com) website.

Also, most of the apps have multiple screenshots if you look at them in iTunes.

I am surprised the folks who play golf would be so freaked out by $20.00, or even $5.00 for a piece of software. How much do you spend on greens fees, or even golf balls each round? :)

It's not the $20. It's what you get for it. I would freak out about spending $20 for a bottle of shampoo too. Unless it was some special medicated shampoo that would prevent my hair from falling out.

Shampoo just shouldn't cost that much for what it does. Likewise a golf score tracking app just isn't that complicated. And if they're going to charge $20 for one, I'm going to write one that costs a dollar that just does the basics I want. One that does more than the basics that I might find useful I might pay $5 for. But that's about it unless it has GPS rangefinding capability.

iYardage must be a recent addition. I'll have to check it out.

jacob6869
Jul 14, 2008, 12:22 PM
iYardage is free and tracks scores and yardage to holes. GPS version is coming soon it says.

i requested the golf courses in my area and they sent me and email 6 hours later telling me to mail them a scorecard and a yardage book. i was shocked.

seans9
Jul 15, 2008, 11:18 AM
They should download course data from digitaldivot.com - There are thousands of user added courses with yardage and handicap information.

gibjer
Jul 15, 2008, 12:57 PM
I picked up tee-shot as it tracked what I wanted it to (puts, fairways etc)

So far so good, could use some more features, but it's the first release (as is all the apps through the store) so give it time and they will all improve.

umgolfer
Jul 15, 2008, 07:47 PM
Wow. I'm so glad that I checked this thread out. I've been a life long golfer and a coach and something like this could be really useful. Thanks for the helpful reviews all!

jmadd
Jul 19, 2008, 02:16 PM
I've always thought it would be nice to have the yardage finder with an integrated rule book...(I tend to really enjoy the scenery).
That along with a tap counter, I could justify paying $20. Including yearly updates.:)

Michael CM1
Jul 19, 2008, 03:26 PM
Hopefully a lot of the duplicating slows down once we're a good half of a year into the app store and a lot of the half-assed developers stop.

I'll PM you a feature list of my golf app and you can decide for yourself if you need to make one.

Speaking of such developers, how many different flashlight programs are there and WHY DID I PAY 99 CENTS FOR ONE? Such is the danger of a brand new store like this.

starkissed
Mar 25, 2009, 02:11 AM
I just downloaded this new app (Golf Scorecard) that costs $2.99 which is really great for me because the other ones are too expensive and the free one got bad reviews. But, it does everything I want and I can even go play mini golf and use it for that. Really good deal for the price:D

nutsnbolts
Mar 25, 2009, 09:01 AM
Go to whatsoniphone.com (http://www.whatsoniphone.com). We have in-depth reviews of the best golf applications out there.

Rank top is Golf ScoreCard with the most robust features available.

LostLogik
Mar 25, 2009, 11:33 AM
Just seen Flycaddie. Looks nice but wow, what a price. Also, I can't find any courses on their website, so not that inclined to drop the dosh.

redgaz26
Mar 25, 2009, 03:42 PM
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307901758&mt=8

not sure if you guys are talking about golf games but let's golf is brilliant!!!

Mr. Biggles
Mar 25, 2009, 06:25 PM
Just seen Flycaddie. Looks nice but wow, what a price. Also, I can't find any courses on their website, so not that inclined to drop the dosh.

I agree. The screen shots of the app look great. My club doesn't show up, nothing within my zip code for that matter.

I took the effort to subscribe to the web site and went thru the motions of submitting my course info. I'll wait to see if it's added and then decide if the investment in the app is worthwhile. They have a method for you to add a course, but I'm not about to pay $35 so I can do the work.

Mr. Biggles
Mar 31, 2009, 02:59 PM
I agree. The screen shots of the app look great. My club doesn't show up, nothing within my zip code for that matter.

I took the effort to subscribe to the web site and went thru the motions of submitting my course info. I'll wait to see if it's added and then decide if the investment in the app is worthwhile. They have a method for you to add a course, but I'm not about to pay $35 so I can do the work.

Well, I got an email indicating that they added my course to their library. I do like the response time but the $35 still is tough to swallow, and the fact that only one year of updates is provided with a yearly renewal of $35 for continued updates is required, makes me hesitate purchasing the app.. Hell, my SkyCaddie renewal is cheaper.

diesel
Mar 31, 2009, 03:36 PM
I took a look at flycaddie as well and it's eye candy for sure. However the price is a bit steep, even for an app store whore such as myself. I use teeshot now and i don't even use it for GPS, just to keep track of my group's scorecard. I find that using GPS is simply a pain in the ass on the iphone as far as golfing is concerned. It's just too slow to get an accurate fix, not to mention that the battery is pretty much drained when using gps by the end of the round.

right now, i have a unique system whereby i use a Suunto GPS watch. Using google earth to get coordinates to the center of the green for my local course for every hole, i've programmed this as waypoints into my watch. It will basically give me distance to the center of the green from where i stand, and the beauty is no wait time to get a fix, the gps watch is getting a fix every second. The only problem is a precision issue where the watch gives me distance in miles to the waypoionts up to 2 decimal places. So for example, it may say .09 miles to the center of the green, and that translates into 158.4 yards, however, .08 miles is 140.8 yards and .10 miles is 176 miles. So, because the precision is only to two decimal places you have a +/-deviation of about 17 yards. This could mean the difference between a club length. However as I approach the ball on the fairway, i keep an eye on the reading and if switches from .10 miles to .09 right before i get to the ball, i know that it is closer to the .10 mark than .09. Just takes a little paying attention. Played a few rounds with this with pretty good success and the beauty is no drained iphone after 5 hours of golf since i'm not using the gps on my iphone.

Mr. Biggles
Mar 31, 2009, 03:57 PM
right now, i have a unique system whereby i use a Suunto GPS watch. Using google earth to get coordinates to the center of the green for my local course for every hole, i've programmed this as waypoints into my watch. It will basically give me distance to the center of the green from where i stand, and the beauty is no wait time to get a fix, the gps watch is getting a fix every second. The only problem is a precision issue where the watch gives me distance in miles to the waypoionts up to 2 decimal places. So for example, it may say .09 miles to the center of the green, and that translates into 158.4 yards, however, .08 miles is 140.8 yards and .10 miles is 176 miles. So, because the precision is only to two decimal places you have a +/-deviation of about 17 yards. This could mean the difference between a club length. However as I approach the ball on the fairway, i keep an eye on the reading and if switches from .10 miles to .09 right before i get to the ball, i know that it is closer to the .10 mark than .09. Just takes a little paying attention. Played a few rounds with this with pretty good success and the beauty is no drained iphone after 5 hours of golf since i'm not using the gps on my iphone.

:D Good lord. I have enough thoughts going thru my mind during a round, the last thing I need to do is convert mileage to yardage. Kudos to you and your brain.

I used GolfCard last weekend, but the GPS feature wasn't always 'on'. It is now and this weekend, weather depending, I'll see how the battery holds up.

diesel
Mar 31, 2009, 04:04 PM
:D Good lord. I have enough thoughts going thru my mind during a round, the last thing I need to do is convert mileage to yardage. Kudos to you and your brain.

I used GolfCard last weekend, but the GPS feature wasn't always 'on'. It is now and this weekend, weather depending, I'll see how the battery holds up.

Hahahahaha, you give me far to much credit!!! I actually created a small wallet size "cheat sheet" if you will with conversions going from .01 miles (17.6 yards) up to .30 miles (528 yards) that I simply pull out of my pocket to consult as i'm walking up to my ball. Super fast, super easy, and super convenient. Prior to this, using teeshot's gps functionality, I would have to stand over the ball, and wait for a gps fix and then wait a while longer until the yardage accuracy thing got down to an acceptable level before getting some kind of a reading. This would wind up being a frustrating few minutes. Undoable for me. The other thing I didn't like about "community" maintained GPS data like teeshot has is that it only takes one arsehole to go in and screw up the GPS data. I tagged my local course and within a few weeks I think someone else went in and put their own GPS tags in that were pretty much off, and that person even screwed up the official course yardages and handicap numbers. With my watch, the data is completely maintained by me.

diesel
Apr 29, 2009, 12:13 AM

Mr. Biggles, how did golfcard hold up? I'm thinking of giving the app a try

crosby13
May 4, 2009, 08:18 AM
For checking the break on the green there is the Breakmeter app. It can help you see if you are reading greens properly. (Should be used only for practice)

Mr. Biggles
May 4, 2009, 05:46 PM
Mr. Biggles, how did golfcard hold up? I'm thinking of giving the app a try

I have that feature 'on', but to be honest I still have the phone autolock set.

It takes about 10-15 seconds on average for the GPS accuracy to settle to +/- 9 yards. Yardage between a Skycaddie and the iphone has been within a couple yards. Plenty good enough for my 10 handicap. The only thing that I find excruciatingly slow is bringing up the sat image and toggling between green, fairway views. The 'here" view is the best with the sat images. For the most part don't use it. I used the Appsafe program to locate hazards so the detailed yardage screen gives me all I need. Front, center and back green, hazards etc.

kopesetic
May 6, 2009, 08:23 AM
I played two rounds this weekend with View Ti Golf. It was "on sale" for $24.99 and performed well.

- scorecard with easy data entry for shots, Fairway hit, GIR, and putts
- Google map views for fairways and greens
- GPS distances were accurate within 3-5 yards versus GPS units in cart and "laser sighted" course markers
- no battery problems using the unit for two rounds in one day; I set the brightness down to ~33%, 3G, wifi, and gps all turned on; fully wall charged the night before.

Dislikes
- GPS distances were slow to lock in at least 10 seconds; I'm not sure if this is the App or the iPhone
- I would like to be able to track my drive distances; not sure how to do this or if it is even possible.

diesel
May 6, 2009, 02:38 PM
I played two rounds this weekend with View Ti Golf. It was "on sale" for $24.99 and performed well.

- scorecard with easy data entry for shots, Fairway hit, GIR, and putts
- Google map views for fairways and greens
- GPS distances were accurate within 3-5 yards versus GPS units in cart and "laser sighted" course markers
- no battery problems using the unit for two rounds in one day; I set the brightness down to ~33%, 3G, wifi, and gps all turned on; fully wall charged the night before.

Dislikes
- GPS distances were slow to lock in at least 10 seconds; I'm not sure if this is the App or the iPhone
- I would like to be able to track my drive distances; not sure how to do this or if it is even possible.

The GPS lock is an iphone thing. I have the same problem across multiple apps, i.e. teeshot and golfcard. teeshot allows you to record driving distances or distances for any shot in fact, however i'm on the fence as to whether or not to continue using teeshot or go with golfcard. teeshot's scorecard entry is not as quick as golfcard's. I plan on playing a round this weekend and use golfcard and i'll make up my mind as to which one to continue using.