Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I am going to Seattle in a couple weeks. I have never been near Seattle. I am going out on a kayaking trip for 4 days. I will have about a day in the city for some pictures. Where are some good spots to go? I know basically nothing about the city. Also what are some good places to eat? There have to be some pretty well known places but I can't find any online.

Thanks

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
A common (maybe too common) place to shoot the skyline from is from Queen Anne hill. There are a couple parks with a nice view. Another place that works is from most any ferry. Going that route you can also maybe get some nice shots of Puget Sound and the islands.

The University of Washington arboretum can be spectacular. The university itself has a lot of great old buildings ("old" on the west coast means ~ 100 years), if you like architecture.

If you like to photograph the downtrodden go to Pioneer Square. ;)

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
A common (maybe too common) place to shoot the skyline from is from Queen Anne hill. There are a couple parks with a nice view. Another place that works is from most any ferry. Going that route you can also maybe get some nice shots of Puget Sound and the islands.

The University of Washington arboretum can be spectacular. The university itself has a lot of great old buildings ("old" on the west coast means ~ 100 years), if you like architecture.

If you like to photograph the downtrodden go to Pioneer Square. ;)

The best place on Queen Anne is Kerry Park, on Highland ave.

I live there (well, sorta) but I rarely shoot... one of these days I'll do a real setup.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You got to go down to the market in Seattle and watch people buy and get their fish. The people working there toss the fish across the room and then wrap it up to go.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Pike Place Market. It's pretty cool - but keep an eye on your stuff (and a hand on your wallet).

There is a park not to far from there. There is a row of waterfron t restraunts arcoss the street from the park. Maybe some locals can tell you which park. But I shot a few rolls of macro photos there. Lots of rain main lots of nice fresh colorfull plants, ushroom and other fugi.

But really Seattle is one of the most photogenic cities I can thnk of. No, it "picture perfect." it's a mix of funy old building and natural waterfront. The fish market is classic but that hole area is good.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
It really depends on what you're trying to see. If you're trying to see some of the natural landscape of the area, I would suggest you check out some of the trails in Discovery Park. Queen Anne (as mentioned above) is spectacular for views of Elliott Bay and downtown. Check out Gasworks park (in Freemont, across Lake Union from downtown), and take a walk around Freemont proper.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
There is a park not to far from there. There is a row of waterfron t restraunts arcoss the street from the park.

It's actually down the hill. Basically when you get to the market, start going down the stairs until you reach the waterfront (Alaska St). It's a tourist trap, but cool nonetheless. Quite a few of my former clients hang out there as well (mentally-ill homeless people; yes I'm serious).

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
- but keep an eye on your stuff (and a hand on your wallet).

I'd say that's generally good advise anytime you're traveling in a popular tourist area. That said, I've lived in Seattle almost 11 years and never heard of anyone having trouble at Pikes Place. Not saying it doesn't happen; I'm sure it does. Just take the usual precautions and don't lose any sleep over it.

As far as what to do, since you're really going be here for just one day, I suggest sticking close to downtown. That would include the above-mentioned Pike's Place Market and Pioneer Square. There's also the waterfront and of course the Space Needle at Seattle Center. (The last few pics I've posted in the Photo of the Day thread have been from the fountain at Seattle Center.) The Experience Music Project at Seattle Center is a really funky building worth checking out although I wouldn't pay the $20 to go through the museum. At the north end of the waterfront is the relatively new Olympic Sculpture Park - one of the new favorites of local photogs. Someone mentioned a ferry ride...I'd say rather than hopping on one of the big car ferrys to the islands, catch the small passenger ferry to West Seattle. You'll get some great views of downtown on the way over and on the other side that aren't as overdone as Kerry Park. And if you have time to walk around over there, the Alki Beach area can be interesting. Lastly, you may want to check out the International District. Not nearly as good as the Chinatown in NY or SF, or even Vancouver, but still interesting. All of this is within walking distance of each other and probably doable in a day.

For restaurants, if you do make it to the International District and like Vietnamese food, I'd recommend either the Green Leaf or the Tamarind Tree. Both really good and inexpensive.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
I am going to Seattle in a couple weeks. I have never been near Seattle. I am going out on a kayaking trip for 4 days. I will have about a day in the city for some pictures. Where are some good spots to go? I know basically nothing about the city. Also what are some good places to eat? There have to be some pretty well known places but I can't find any online.

Thanks

mmmmm.... crispy duck from china town or even the manapua is a treat. sorry off topic.......

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
The best place on Queen Anne is Kerry Park, on Highland ave.

I live there (well, sorta) but I rarely shoot... one of these days I'll do a real setup.

Not to be picky but it's Highland Drive. Might be easier to find.

Photo Spots:
  • Kerry Park (Also check out Marshall park down the street)
  • Pike Place Market
  • UW Aboredum
  • SAM Olympic Sculputure Park (highly recomeneded)
  • Alki Beach

Eats:
  • Wild Ginger*
  • 5 Spot Cafe
  • Anthony's Pier 66* (Also, Anthony's Fish Bar is cheap and good food but closes early)
  • BluWater Bistro*
  • Dahlia Lounge*
  • Red Mill Burgers (voted the one of the top 25 burgers in the US, have the bacon cheese burger and the onion rings)
  • Hiltop Ale House (near Kerry Park)
  • T.S. McHughs Irish Pub
    * notes relatively expensive restaurants

Coffee: I don't know if you like coffee or not but if you do try not to go to Starbucks. Even though Starbucks originated in Seattle, it's coffee is crap. The only Starbucks I would recommend visiting is the original one in Pike Place Market. Go to Caffe Ladro. It's real coffee.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Thanks so much everyone. I will have to post some pictures when I get back. Could I get some good landscapes of the area from say hiking a part of Mt. Rainer? My mom really wants to go out there and do some sort of hiking. Is that possible without going all the way to the top?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Thanks so much everyone. I will have to post some pictures when I get back. Could I get some good landscapes of the area from say hiking a part of Mt. Rainer? My mom really wants to go out there and do some sort of hiking. Is that possible without going all the way to the top?

There are lots of opportunities for great landscape shots at Rainier, especially if the summit isn't clouded in. I'd probably try to do Rainier in the early afternoon to give any clouds the chance to burn off. Paradise has always been a favorite of mine, and the trails from there are good for day hikes. It's been a few years, but last time I was there I got some waterfalls, meadows and good views of the peak on 645 slides.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Well I don't actually leave till the end of the month. Then I am their through the august 10.

The odds are you'll have nice weather. According to one local atmospheric science prof, the "start of summer" up here is July 12 - that's the point at which you can pretty much count on it being nice. (This year out weather's been pretty good, all in all, since spring)

Of course some years the "end of summer" is August 15 :D , but usually it's pretty darn good through September.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.