PDA

View Full Version : Any signs of a podcast downloading app?

Avle53
Jul 10, 2008, 06:57 PM
I'm not home to check the app store. I was wondering if anyone had seen a podcast related app. Mobilecast is really the one jailbreak related app I'd hate to loose. If an appstore application could replace it I'd be very gungho about switching to 2.0.

Avle53
Jul 10, 2008, 08:10 PM
I'm guessing not. What a shame.

edit
Probably should have just edited my OP sorry.

EdwardsNH
Jul 11, 2008, 12:19 AM
the podcaster webapp is so close. Don't see why they don't just develop it. I'm going to email them about it and ask why not.

careys7
Jul 11, 2008, 02:24 AM
I can't remember if mobilecast does it from memory, but the best application would be if it can just check the feeds of your current podcasts and download & copy them straight into the podcast folder (or in more simple engilsh, update your podcasts)

Also why can't the iTunes wifi store handle this...

aeropix
Jul 11, 2008, 02:42 AM
)
Also why can't the iTunes wifi store handle this...

I'm guessing it's because podcasts are a loss leader for iTunes, as they produce no revenue but encourage browsing for profit items from the itunes store.

Since bandwidth is actually a cost item for the retailer as well as for us then they simply chose not to allow bandwith use on the portaable device interface to save on expenses.

Also, ATT may have leaned on Apple to cut down on the data usage by limiting this function on the store, thus alleviating pressure on the ATT edge network.

careys7
Jul 11, 2008, 02:50 AM
good point

would the current SDK be able to modify the music library in order to update the podcasts (or are they confined to their own little sandbox?)