Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LotuSviLLe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Ok I have a problem with Apple asking everyone to pay $1.98 for to get one ringtone on the iPhone 3G. My question is, can you set a song in the iPhone itself from ones music library to be a ringtone? If not, I am sure there is a way around this and I was wondering if anyone out there knew how to get ringtones on the iPhone for free.

Thanks.

jsgrabo

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2007
1) get quicktime pro
2) open the song from itunes in quicktime
3) trim song to whatever you want
4) export as "song.m4r" (the "song" part being whatever you want to title it)
5) enjoy your new ringtone

LotuSviLLe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up using an m4a to mp3 converter, Audacity, and iTunes to get the ringtones working. Good stuff.

interesting

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
for those on a PC....
iRinger is the easiest thing I found. Makes ringtones from MP3's and automatically puts them in your ringtones folder in iTunes.

Still24

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
You shouldn't need anything other than iTunes.

1. In iTunes, right-click the song you want, go to 'Get Info' and change the start and end points so it's 30 seconds in length.
2. Right-click the song again, 'convert selection to AAC'.
3. Find this new file or drag it from iTunes to your desktop.
4. Rename the file extension from .m4a to .m4r.
5. Import it back into iTunes and it will appear as a ringtone. Tada!

I don't think this works with protected songs downloaded from the iTunes store, but should work with all others.

EDarkness

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Japan
I picked up a 3G iPhone today and I made a ringtone, but it doesn't show on my list. ITunes shows the ringtone and it even shows in the ringtones folder in iTunes on the device, but when I go to the phone and look for the ringtone, it's not there. I've tried syncing, re-syncing, deleting everything and syncing again, but nothing works. Did Apple change how ringtones are handled? Will it only allow ringtones purchased from the Apple store now?

By the way, I don't have GarageBand 4, so I can't make a ringtone there, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

wsmith82

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
EDarkness...

I came onto this post becase I myself have just purchased a 3g iPhone today. This system did work for me (as Still24 posted). It could be that you haven't told iTunes to sync your ringtones to your device. While in iTunes with your iPhone plugged in, do the following:

Click your iPhone under the devices tree on the left side of the iTunes menu
Click the tab at the top of the iPhone menu that reads "Ringtones"
Put a checkmark in the option "Sync Ringtones"
and then choose which ones you want to transfer or all of them at once.

I have just done this today on my 3g iPhone with iTunes 7.7.0.43 with no errors. After this your phone syncs, go to your "Settings" menu on the iPhone, choose "Sounds", and then finally "Ringtones". It should now be listed as a "Custom Ringtone".

Hope I could be of some help...

kmay37

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
maybe I am just slow, but I am using vista and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do step number 4...chaning the file extenstion, i go to properties and see that it is mpeg but can't change it...what do i need to do?

1. In iTunes, right-click the song you want, go to 'Get Info' and change the start and end points so it's 30 seconds in length.

I don't think this works with protected songs downloaded from the iTunes store, but should work with all others.

Still24

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
For step 4, on Vista, open the folder containing the song you want to change. At the top left of the folder click the 'Organize' tab and click 'Folder and Search Options'. Then on the 'View' tab, uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types' and apply. Then all your files will end in a .jpg or .m4a or something. You can just rename the .m4a to .m4r. You'll get a warning that it might make a file unreadable, but it's okay. Once you've changed it to .m4r just reimport it into iTunes. Sorry, I should have made that clearer. :p

parosser

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2006
New Zealand

Hi, I've tried this, several times....and it just does not appear under Ringtones in iTunes. Can anyone please help!?!?!?!?

kmay37

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
For step 4, on Vista, open the folder containing the song you want to change. At the top left of the folder click the 'Organize' tab and click 'Folder and Search Options'. Then on the 'View' tab, uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types' and apply. Then all your files will end in a .jpg or .m4a or something. You can just rename the .m4a to .m4r. You'll get a warning that it might make a file unreadable, but it's okay. Once you've changed it to .m4r just reimport it into iTunes. Sorry, I should have made that clearer. :p

Worked GREAT!! Thank you very much!

alfredog1976

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Hi, I've tried this, several times....and it just does not appear under Ringtones in iTunes. Can anyone please help!?!?!?!?

Things to try:

1. Make sure clip is under 30 seconds in length.

2. Make sure File extensions are not hidden. In Windows, go to "Tools->Folder Options" and select "View" tab. Make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked. Retry step 4 that Still24 posted. For Mac, I don't recall the equivalent method, I'll look in my MacBook and post the steps.

3. Once renamed to .m4r, double click on the file and iTunes should open up and you should see your ringtone in the Ringtone section automatically.

sidewalkscenes

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
i am so excited i have made a ton of ringtones so far. with tmobile sk3 i was paying $3 - $5 for each ringtone i had :(

heatherlovesmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I'm new the the iPhone thing, as the 3G is my first. But I used the ringtone maker in iTunes, bought my ringtone and it does not transfer to the Ringtones area nor does it sync up with my phone. I tried it a few times. Any ideas?

ANF1017

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I'm new the the iPhone thing, as the 3G is my first. But I used the ringtone maker in iTunes, bought my ringtone and it does not transfer to the Ringtones area nor does it sync up with my phone. I tried it a few times. Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem. What's up with this?

FLYING SE7EN

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I'm trying this, but on step 2 where I'm supposed to 'covert selection to AAC', I only have the option to covert to mp3. Is there a setting I need to change to do this?

I'm using the newest version of iTunes and Windows XP on a Dell PC.

Thanks.

J.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.