Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
When will the amazement end?

Needing a mobile internet connection, as well as a faster-than-modem connection in a place where broadband isn't available, I eventually settled on Sprint's line of connection cards, specifically the Aircard 550, as there's a mac driver manufacturer.

After visiting a Sprint store, a CompUSA, another Sprint store, a best buy and a Radio Shack, I concluded that all I could get was a Merlin C201 connection card (looks like a Wifi card), and planned on just figuring it out.

After a bit of research, I concluded that the card probably acts more or less like the Vision phones do when connected, so I plugged in the card, made it use the SprintPCS Vision script and had it dial #777.

It freaking works great! Well, as great a cellmodem card should work, given that there are no drivers or support.

dslreports clocked me at 72K, but I've gotten as high as 90k in the last 20 minutes.

Here's something for future Google searchers:
SprintPCS Novatel Merlin C201 works in Macintosh OSX Panther using the SprintPCS Vision modem script and #777 as the dialup number and NO third-party drivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.