Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Beta Colony, Alpha City
I've noticed that the iPod Nano hasn't been updated for a while and I'm thinking it's one of the iPods that needs to either be updated with storage or price.

At the moment we're been flooded with all kinds of iPods and to be honest, it's a bit too much.

I understand the shuffle, I understand the Nano, even the classic and touch. But, the prices are sometimes a bit too close to each other and that can make some people a bit confused. I've had a number of people approach me asking which one to go for. I thought it was clear till they mentioned their pricing logic to me. It's one thing to hear it from one person but to hear it over and over from people coming in the store is, starting to form a pattern.

So...

This is the current status of the Nano :
Product: iPod nano
Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon
Last Release: September 05, 2007
Days Since Update: 309 (Avg = 268)
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iPod_nano

I for one would love to buy a black nano cause the shuffle doesn't cut it for me and the classic is too big, the iPod Touch isn't working well when it rains. So the nano is the one I'm going for.

My question would be, is it worth waiting for the next update? And when do you all sense that might happen?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Apple usually updates their iPod line around September, so I'd wait and see what happens then. I personally can't see what would change design-wise, but there may very well be some sort of price drop or larger model.

Lyra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Beta Colony, Alpha City
Apple usually updates their iPod line around September, so I'd wait and see what happens then. I personally can't see what would change design-wise, but there may very well be some sort of price drop or larger model.

The design is wonderful... size wise... 8GB is good, but it's the price that makes no sense.

In the UK, you get the 4GB for £99 or 8GB for £129. For £30 extra you get twice the size? Shouldn't it be more like £65 for 4GB?

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Given the physically small size of the nano in the first place, I don't expect any external changes in the "hardware refresh" models coming in September 2008. This is because the nano is just too small to accommodate a true touchscreen interface.

But internally, I can see Apple going to a smaller internal circuit board to accommodate more flash memory. This could open the way for a nano with as much as 32 GB of flash memory, though I think 16 GB is more like it.

macworkerbee

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Ipods don't usually update until after the back to school promotion when ipod supplies are lower and when they're gearing up for the holiday season.

Expect something in September or October.

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
The design is wonderful... size wise... 8GB is good, but it's the price that makes no sense.

In the UK, you get the 4GB for £99 or 8GB for £129. For £30 extra you get twice the size? Shouldn't it be more like £65 for 4GB?

No, because you are only adding extra flash memory. Not paying for 2 logic boards, screens, cases, software licences, earphones, sync cables, boxes, ad everything else that comes with an iPod.
Why doesn't a 250GB Macbook cost twice as much as a 120GB one? IT would be according to you.
Sorry to moan BTW. I'm just bored :)

Lyra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Beta Colony, Alpha City
No, because you are only adding extra flash memory. Not paying for 2 logic boards, screens, cases, software licences, earphones, sync cables, boxes, ad everything else that comes with an iPod.
Why doesn't a 250GB Macbook cost twice as much as a 120GB one? IT would be according to you.
Sorry to moan BTW. I'm just bored :)

;)

That actually makes sense... :)

Thanks... and I understand now...

I'm wondering if I should go out and buy an 8GB now or wait to see if the 16GB would end up costing the same in Sept.

Thanks for the replies guys...

stevie-why

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
another option is wait for the new ipods in september, and if you dont really care if you have the latest and greatest ipod, then get a refurbished older model on the apple website, or get it on ebay. But there really is nothing like getting a brand new ipod...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.