PDA

View Full Version : New Avatar For BacktoTheMac

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 09:48 AM
OK, I've made another, but this one is my craziest yet. 34 frames of gif animation, check it out. Its 100x100 and repeating, the one I gave to B2TM doesn't repeat, more subtle and less annoying when its in the thread.

Hope you all like it

D

cleo
May 16, 2002, 09:58 AM
ROCK ON! That kicks ass, my friend. Good job.

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 10:01 AM
Thanks Cleo, glad you like it.

Oh, and I did it all in Photoshop and Image Ready. I'm really getting to like ImageReady a lot. :D Its my new favorite app, I just started using it a month ago.

cleo
May 16, 2002, 10:07 AM
Is that the one that comes bundled with PhotoShop?

I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy the Adobe Web Collection. Should be here tomorrow! I'm going to be in debt for the rest of my life, but I will have a kick-ass computer! :D

mcrain
May 16, 2002, 10:10 AM
The great and all powerful Dukestreet does it again!

Wonderful avatar!

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by cleo
Is that the one that comes bundled with PhotoShop?

I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy the Adobe Web Collection. Should be here tomorrow! I'm going to be in debt for the rest of my life, but I will have a kick-ass computer! :D

Yep, its a piece of cake to use too. The AWC is a nice package, its worth it.

iGav
May 16, 2002, 10:15 AM
Heh heh.... classic......

Way to go duke........ ;) :D :p

Backtothemac
May 16, 2002, 10:19 AM
Yes, he is by far the Demi-God of avatars! I am sooooo thankful for this. I know that we all will get a good laugh from. Also, I cannot wait for some PC user to come in praiseing Dell. I will just say.

See avatar :D

Thanks again Dukestreet!!!

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 11:50 AM
impressive sir.

i like the simplicity of it (if you were to break it down)... reminds me how animations are all about tricking the audience... making them think they are seeing something they aren't.

well done.

eyelikeart
May 16, 2002, 11:50 AM
dude that is killer!!!! :D

I think I am going to join in and commission duke to make me a blinking eye....or something creepy....like an eye that blinks & a smiley face appears...then it blinks again and it's plain... :cool:

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
impressive sir.

i like the simplicity of it (if you were to break it down)... reminds me how animations are all about tricking the audience... making them think they are seeing something they aren't.

well done.

Thanks, jello, appreciate the accolades. It is rather simple, which is important when dealing with things at 50x50 res. Timing was probably the most difficult, it required several tries to get it right, and I might have to add a frame or two to smooth things out. I'm really amazed that I got it under 20k and its 34 frames. I probably could add 5-8 more.

But the trick was to make all the layers for the different pieces, then animate them separately. Image Ready is a very impressive tool. There is some room for improvement, but over all, the results speak well for its capabilities.

Now I need to make a new one for myself. I think I'll stay 'on vacation' to think about what I want to do.

Eye, if you want me to do one, we'll try that next week. That ok?

D

eyelikeart
May 16, 2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Eye, if you want me to do one, we'll try that next week. That ok?

D

definitely....man...u are going to have to start charging soon man...

everyone's hitting u up to for an avatar...he he he :D

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 12:52 PM
You'll all owe me a beer or two if we ever meet, that's for sure.:D

eyelikeart
May 16, 2002, 01:20 PM
You'll all owe me a beer or two if we ever meet, that's for sure.:D

no problem...

if u ever make it out to New Orleans I'll buy ya a Hurricane! :D

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

no problem...

if u ever make it out to New Orleans I'll buy ya a Hurricane! :D

I'll pass on the Hurricane, I prefer beer and wine, the hard stuff just doesn't do it for me. Although a good sipping Scotch or Tequilla, won't pass that up.:D

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 02:09 PM
Thanks, jello, appreciate the accolades. It is rather simple, which is important when dealing with things at 50x50 res. Timing was probably the most difficult, it required several tries to get it right, and I might have to add a frame or two to smooth things out. I'm really amazed that I got it under 20k and its 34 frames. I probably could add 5-8 more.

But the trick was to make all the layers for the different pieces, then animate them separately. Image Ready is a very impressive tool. There is some room for improvement, but over all, the results speak well for its capabilities.

yeah. sounds like kinda the way you'd do it in after effects too. so you have several various pieces, like puppets in a way.... like stop motion cut out animation.... but digital.

eyelikeart
May 16, 2002, 02:17 PM

I'll pass on the Hurricane, I prefer beer and wine, the hard stuff just doesn't do it for me. Although a good sipping Scotch or Tequilla, won't pass that up.:D

I gotcha...

I still need to ask about that bottle of vino u were looking for....Rodney Strong... ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 03:20 PM
Rodney Strong Old Vine Zin, I asked again here at a local wine gormet shop. They're calling their distributor to find out about availability and pricing. So maybe I'll be able to get it here, that'd be nice.

Beej
May 16, 2002, 11:04 PM
SUPER job, duke-man. That is a brilliant avatar!

Hey - I'm planning an avatar change when I hit the big one-triple-oh... but after that, if you think you're good enough to add another 'tar to my hardcore series, I'd be honored to display your work.

So the challenge is on the table. Whaddaya say, big man? Game?

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Beej

Hey - I'm planning an avatar change when I hit the big one-triple-oh... but after that, if you think you're good enough to add another 'tar to my hardcore series, I'd be honored to display your work.

u should be there tomorrow Beej....

u gonna do a happy dance?? :D

Beej
May 17, 2002, 12:25 AM

u should be there tomorrow Beej....

u gonna do a happy dance?? :D Indeed. Quite possibly the funky chicken.

:D

I will be there in a couple of hours... on about 10 to go... the excitement! Funky chicken, here I come.

Rower_CPU
May 17, 2002, 12:34 AM
I was pondering an update at 1000 myself...but school took over and I'm a little overdue :eek:

Since I'm graduating this weekend, I'll have more time coming up :D

Let the great avatar war of Summer 2003 begin!

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 12:55 AM
Indeed. Quite possibly the funky chicken.

:D

I will be there in a couple of hours... on about 10 to go... the excitement! Funky chicken, here I come.

well I'll be asleep (maybe...I'm still too excited to sleep at this point...he he he) so I'll congratulate u on 1000 right here!! :D :D :D :D

Beej
May 17, 2002, 01:14 AM

well I'll be asleep (maybe...I'm still too excited to sleep at this point...he he he) so I'll congratulate u on 1000 right here!! :D :D :D :D Thanks man. I have to say I'm a little disappointed that you're not hanging around for the big moment. :p

Ensign Paris
May 17, 2002, 04:27 AM
Well Done on the 1000, I want/aim to be on 2000 by MWNY, but then again, I don't look at my post count all that much :)

I wonder how much of a post count people willk have in a years time!

Ensign

Macmaniac
May 17, 2002, 06:33 AM
I love it! I can't wait to get one!

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 06:57 AM

I'm always up for pushing the limit. We'll need to come up with some ideas though.

Love the new 'tar, why not Hardcore Sax?

resm
May 17, 2002, 08:53 AM
New Avatar Annoying ?

are you kidding ????

I did just catch myself watching for 5 minutes how your little iMac smashes a Peecee :)

Now you just have to ad some sound and I think you are in business with Apple !

good Idea Dukestreet....good job :)

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by resm

Now you just have to ad some sound and I think you are in business with Apple !

good Idea Dukestreet....good job :)

I'm thinking of actually doing it in 3D, get the iMac model from the guy who did the iMac on the beach. It would be very cool.

Glad you liked it.

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 09:08 AM
it may take a little longer to fully be seen compared to most...

but it's a damned great job!!

I salute duke...he's been hooking everyone up around here lately...

and maybe me soon...he he he :D

I'll end up owing him a few beers whenever he visits New Orleans... ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 09:13 AM
it may take a little longer to fully be seen compared to most...

What I really like about it, is that it tells a story (sort of), which given its small size, 50x50 and 16k, is not simple. That's why its worth watching. I did make it run once and not loop, not that too many people would complain about seeing a Dell continually abused.

If you want to do something simillar, let me know. Its fun and doesn't take that much time. The hardest thing is coming up with the right idea/concept.

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 09:20 AM
If you want to do something simillar, let me know. Its fun and doesn't take that much time. The hardest thing is coming up with the right idea/concept.

well...I'm definitely liking the idea of a blinking eye...

it's opened at first....then blinks...and a smiley face appears where the pupil/iris is....then it blinks again...and it's an eye again...

how much trouble would that be?

and if it's possible...I could even provide line-art if that would be a help since u are offering...

just let me know! :p

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 09:46 AM
That should be pretty straight forward. But lets take it up a level. Get some one to take a close up picture of you eye, or of someone who has really interesting eyes if you're not happy with yours. Blue eyes or lighter colors always work best with interesting irises. Then take another of the eye lid closed, might even be better with a halfway shut one to, to smooth out the animation.

And again, looking in different directions if you want that. It should look pretty cool and you could superimpose any number of icons on the eye. Do a smiley but how about an Apple logo too?

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 09:49 AM
That should be pretty straight forward. But lets take it up a level. Get some one to take a close up picture of you eye, or of someone who has really interesting eyes if you're not happy with yours. Blue eyes or lighter colors always work best with interesting irises. Then take another of the eye lid closed, might even be better with a halfway shut one to, to smooth out the animation.

And again, looking in different directions if you want that. It should look pretty cool and you could superimpose any number of icons on the eye. Do a smiley but how about an Apple logo too?

I hate quoting entire posts...but that's a damned good idea duke!!

I'll see what I can get worked out...my eye should be fine...depending on the day...it'll show either really green or hazel...so that should be ok...

I definitely want a smiley face....maybe even one with a tongue sticking out....

the Apple logo isn't a bad idea either...I'll think about that one though... ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 09:52 AM
Don't forget, it can blink more than once, which gives us more than one icon to play with.

I'll never had problems coming up with ideas, which is proof enough by now with all the avatars I've done. Its just getting them done is the problem.

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 09:58 AM
I'll never had problems coming up with ideas, which is proof enough by now with all the avatars I've done. Its just getting them done is the problem.

Its fun and doesn't take that much time. The hardest thing is coming up with the right idea/concept.

make up your mind! which is it?!?!? the concept or the work??? haha. :p

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 10:12 AM

make up your mind! which is it?!?!? the concept or the work??? haha. :p

Coming up with ideas is easy, coming up with a good or the right idea is tough.

That help?

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 10:17 AM
ahh word. good thing we came up with a good idea finally... or at least a part of one..

bounce with me don't bounce against me

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 10:27 AM
Don't forget, it can blink more than once, which gives us more than one icon to play with.

I often don't think in terms of animation though...so I'm not quite sure what can be achieved...

but now that I know...I'll brainstorm a little...

don't worry...I won't get too crazy...he he he :D

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 10:38 AM
Take the follow pics (hopefully you'll have a digital camera and don't worry about getting too close, as long as I can crop it down to 50x50, although I'd prefer to work at 100x100 in order to get good detail and then reduce for the 'tar)

Eye looking straight ahead: slightly down: slightly down and to the left: slightly down and to the right: lid half shut (eye straight ahead): lid all the way shut.

You might need to do two more with the eye to the left and right at half steps. Also maybe not at all to the left, since the 'tar is at the left of the page, so looking right, up and down, what do you think?

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 10:55 AM
Take the follow pics (hopefully you'll have a digital camera and don't worry about getting too close, as long as I can crop it down to 50x50, although I'd prefer to work at 100x100 in order to get good detail and then reduce for the 'tar)

Eye looking straight ahead: slightly down: slightly down and to the left: slightly down and to the right: lid half shut (eye straight ahead): lid all the way shut.

You might need to do two more with the eye to the left and right at half steps. Also maybe not at all to the left, since the 'tar is at the left of the page, so looking right, up and down, what do you think?

that all sounds great...I'll be using 35 mm...so I can scan the shots in as high as I want...and then u can even just flip the canvas to get either side-effect...

I'll get my friend Heidi to do the shots....she's really good with a camera...won't be till mid-week next week...but I'm sure u won't mind...;)

if I come up with any other ideas I'll definitely let u know..

again...thanks so much man!! :D

I'll be looking for that vino for u in the meantime...

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 12:29 PM
I just came up with another idea, the eye blinks and the iris is in the shape of the apple logo, not round

I really like that idea. I'm going to try it anyway even if you don't want it to see how it comes out. Maybe even do it as a larger image if I can. Looking forward to seeing the pix. Get me as high res as possible.

Thanks.

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 01:02 PM
I just came up with another idea, the eye blinks and the iris is in the shape of the apple logo, not round

I really like that idea. I'm going to try it anyway even if you don't want it to see how it comes out. Maybe even do it as a larger image if I can. Looking forward to seeing the pix. Get me as high res as possible.

Thanks.

that's a cool idea... I like it....would like to see it....an aqua-like Apple logo...

when I scan negs...I usually do them 300 dpi @ 800%...how's that sound to u?

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 01:09 PM
That will work great.

Once I get them, I'll mostly likely do a few version of some of the ideas we came up with and then let you pic the one you want to use. This will be fun.

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 01:23 PM
That will work great.

Once I get them, I'll mostly likely do a few version of some of the ideas we came up with and then let you pic the one you want to use. This will be fun.

he he he...definitely!

I'm looking forward to seeing it!! :D :p :D :p

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 01:36 PM
Email the pics to me, you have my real email address right? I'll pm it to you just in case.

jpg is best for what we're doing, at a good quality so that there aren't any noticeable compression remnants.

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 01:46 PM
Email the pics to me, you have my real email address right? I'll pm it to you just in case.

jpg is best for what we're doing, at a good quality so that there aren't any noticeable compression remnants.

I got it now...

btw...your PM box is full...just thought u would like to know ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 02:05 PM

I got it now...

btw...your PM box is full...just thought u would like to know ;)

Damn, its tough to be popular:D

Actually it kind of sucks having such a low limit. Thanks for letting me know I'll go clean it out.

D

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 02:08 PM

Damn, its tough to be popular:D

Actually it kind of sucks having such a low limit. Thanks for letting me know I'll go clean it out.

D

no worries...mine's been full a few times as well...he he he :D

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 02:09 PM

no worries...mine's been full a few times as well...he he he :D

Done, it had over 80 between the sent items and inbox. What is the limiting factor? Size? Message count?

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 02:53 PM
that's why i don't save a copy of pm's. that and the fact i don't get as many as the great avatartist....

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 02:55 PM
that's why i don't save a copy of pm's. that and the fact i don't get as many as the great avatartist....

Then lets move our discussion of our summer project to real email. I'd like to keep record of it so we don't forget any good ideas, sometimes it helps to go back over the old notes.

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 03:09 PM
Then lets move our discussion of our summer project to real email. I'd like to keep record of it so we don't forget any good ideas, sometimes it helps to go back over the old notes.

ahh, and old man stalker comes out to play... first tries to lure me to "clarendon"... if there really is such a place. and then he tries to have me tell him my email address... so he can track me down and kill me etc etc.... oh man

anyone else, help!

:p

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 03:16 PM
Give it up with the stalker routine. If anything happens to you I'll get in trouble, that won't be good.

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 03:27 PM
hot dang. jaded old man.

ha

i sent you the pm per your request, though i am guessing you got it. word up

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 03:28 PM
Give it up with the stalker routine. If anything happens to you I'll get in trouble, that won't be good.

for the record...I didn't see any of your conversation.... :rolleyes: ;)

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 03:31 PM

for the record...I didn't see any of your conversation.... :rolleyes: ;)

damn. what the?! i can just feel it. i'm dead.

there's people outside my house... well it's been a good run all... but thanks to dukey... the great avatartist, as soon as i go near a window or step foot outside my house.... goodbye world...

and yet eye gets his back. eye... whatever happened to the bolding of my name!?!?!?! those were the days man... we were like this (crossing the fingers)... oh man.

i need a life.

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 03:39 PM

damn. what the?! i can just feel it. i'm dead.

there's people outside my house... well it's been a good run all... but thanks to dukey... the great avatartist, as soon as i go near a window or step foot outside my house.... goodbye world...

and yet eye gets his back. eye... whatever happened to the bolding of my name!?!?!?! those were the days man... we were like this (crossing the fingers)... oh man.

i need a life.

Oh! Alright!!

I'll close my eyes and count to 30...will that give u enough time to get away?? he he he... :D

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 03:42 PM

Oh! Alright!!

I'll close my eyes and count to 30...will that give u enough time to get away?? he he he... :D

haha. depends how fast you are. cause i'm not all that fast.

nor do i have a bike... i do have a skateboard but i think in this case it might be more of a hindrance.. ahhh best be off!

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 04:52 PM
This thread is officially off track......

Maybe it should be the one to die?

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 05:43 PM
This thread is officially off track......

Maybe it should be the one to die?

if that's what u wish for...

he he he... ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 06:22 PM
Well, it was for the B2TM's avatar. I'll post the new updated one in another thread, I've come up with a few minor touches that improve the whole animation in general and fixes some of the timing errors.

Beej
May 17, 2002, 06:37 PM
I used to have a thing about eyes... they're just cool. Anyway, I used to use this 'tar at another board. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to who it might be? You probably won't have to strain your brain too hard...

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 06:45 PM
you've colored the eye yourself, right? I'm not sure I've been following your posts that carefully, but my guess would be SMG, right?

Beej
May 17, 2002, 06:47 PM
you've colored the eye yourself, right? I'm not sure I've been following your posts that carefully, but my guess would be SMG, right? Right, and right! You da man! :p

Backtothemac
May 17, 2002, 06:56 PM
Man, thanks for doing it in the first place, much less, continuing to work one it. Everyone that sees it just loves it. I have gotten about 10 PM's saying how much they love it. Thanks again. ;)

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 07:42 PM
you've colored the eye yourself, right? I'm not sure I've been following your posts that carefully, but my guess would be SMG, right?

ok...now I'm.....nevermind....u guys don't want to know that much information... ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Man, thanks for doing it in the first place, much less, continuing to work one it. Everyone that sees it just loves it. I have gotten about 10 PM's saying how much they love it. Thanks again. ;)

I'll have the update tonight, hope you like it, subtlities will emphasize the overall character of the iMac. I hope I don't run out of memory. Glad its had a great response, who'd a thought. Have you shown your wife, what does she think? If I mention MacRumors to my wife she just says 'Geek'. But what're you going to do, huh?:D

Backtothemac
May 17, 2002, 08:38 PM

I'll have the update tonight, hope you like it, subtlities will emphasize the overall character of the iMac. I hope I don't run out of memory. Glad its had a great response, who'd a thought. Have you shown your wife, what does she think? If I mention MacRumors to my wife she just says 'Geek'. But what're you going to do, huh?:D

YES!!! I absolutely love it. My wife loves it. Soon we are going to start a thread for her. She is going to register and say hi to everyone. She loves Macs and hates Microsoft so it is cool. She loves the avatar by the way. Talk to you soon.

Beej
May 17, 2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

YES!!! I absolutely love it. My wife loves it. Soon we are going to start a thread for her. She is going to register and say hi to everyone. She loves Macs and hates Microsoft so it is cool. She loves the avatar by the way. Talk to you soon. Wow, she sounds like the perfect woman! :D

MrsBacktothemac
May 17, 2002, 08:58 PM
I wanted to tell you that was nice of you to make B2TM avatar. As you can see I am his wife. I look forward to talking to you all. I am going to start a thread saying hi.

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 08:59 PM
Very cool, glad she likes it. Would that make you the first Husband/Wife members on MacRumors? Now that's great:D

And hey, the new tars ready, I'll post it in a new thread. And email you the copy.

D