Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krsnet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
I did the Thursday "illicit" 2.0 firmware. Ended up with some crashing problems to where my phone wouldn't boot. Went into restore mode today (Friday) and iTunes successfully downloaded and installed firmware. When I look at the "About" page, it shows the "5A347" build that was the same between the Thursday and Friday. Any well to tell if its the Friday official iTunes 2.0 firmware or the illicit 2.0 firmware?

scotty56

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Oregon
I did the Thursday "illicit" 2.0 firmware. Ended up with some crashing problems to where my phone wouldn't boot. Went into restore mode today (Friday) and iTunes successfully downloaded and installed firmware. When I look at the "About" page, it shows the "5A347" build that was the same between the Thursday and Friday. Any well to tell if its the Friday official iTunes 2.0 firmware or the illicit 2.0 firmware?

Easy. If you got from iTunes and not some link off a website, its real.

krsnet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Easy. If you got from iTunes and not some link off a website, its real.

True for a normal scenario, but mine was locked up and had to be put into the firmware restore mode. I'm not sure if iTunes did a restore with the real or Thursday version. Attempts to do the restore on Thursday failed so my hunch is I have the official fw now... Just can't verify it because the reported version on the iPhone doesn't include the extra identifiers described in the original MacRumors post. Anyway - apps are great but the sync is painfully slow.

Have another issue that I think is coincidental timing...looks like my phone always thinks headphones are plugged in regardless of the visible reality. I Guess whatever the switch mechanism is in the jack is toast. Don't think its related to the firmware.:(

******************** MacRumors firmware post **************

The official iPhone 2.0 Firmware is now available through iTunes 7.7. The new upgrade file carries the same build number (5A347) as yesterday's early leak:

iPhone1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw

The "1,1" designation is different, however. The significance of this difference is not entirely clear. Despite the same build numbers. the file sizes of the two builds are different. For those who are concerned, you will likely be able to crossgrade to the official release using the same technique as yesterday. We'll post details of this after some testing. The iPhone 2.0 Firmware provides a number of new features and also provides support for the iTunes App Store.

krsnet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
that's the thing i really don't feel like going through that again:eek:

Believe me...I know... I've spent 2 full days doing barely anything but iPhone restarts... ;)

Wasn't that bad though - just had to survive the complete resync. The firmware update appeared (can't say for sure) to go faster/smoother than the Thursday firmware. I've given up setting up all my preferences/screens until I'm sure I don't have to load again for some reason...

So far so good other than: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/517496/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.