Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rollercoasternd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Hi all,
I just got my new white iPhone 3G and I love it, I do wish that iTunes would start working but thats not the point of my post. I am currently trying to get everything on my iMac together so that when iTunes works again I can sync it all. I was using a CDMA Treo 650 before and I used Ringo for my ringtones, one thing Ringo let you do is use MP3 as Ringtones and SMS Tones. I know that iTunes doesn't give you the option to pick your own SMS but I have heard that there is a way to do it. If someone could direct me to a link, or would be willing to give me instructions I would appreciate it.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
it requires a jailbroken iphone, and the jailbreak has not yet been released, although it has been done
wait a while...

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Hi all,
I just got my new white iPhone 3G and I love it, I do wish that iTunes would start working but thats not the point of my post. I am currently trying to get everything on my iMac together so that when iTunes works again I can sync it all. I was using a CDMA Treo 650 before and I used Ringo for my ringtones, one thing Ringo let you do is use MP3 as Ringtones and SMS Tones. I know that iTunes doesn't give you the option to pick your own SMS but I have heard that there is a way to do it. If someone could direct me to a link, or would be willing to give me instructions I would appreciate it.

If you want to pay, then you can buy a song off iTunes for $.99 and then convert it into a ringtone for another $.99. If you have a Mac running Leopard, you can use Garageband to create a ringtone. I believe another way to do it is to take an m4a file, cut it down into 30 seconds or less, and then save it as .m4r and it should go back into iTunes under a 'ringtones' tab, and it will work on your phone.

rollercoasternd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
I'm pretty surprised that Apple didn't include custom SMS tones. They seem just as standad on phones now as regular ringtones. Thanks though I'll be keeping an eye out for the hack

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.