Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tfast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Atlanta
I have heard from friends that some companies do not wish to push email to any phones they don't own, iphones included. If the company doesn't supply it, is there anyway to get the server information if it's not as simple as "exchange.anycompany.com".

I've heard about people on laptops setting up entourage with the OWA address in the server line to avoid having to VPN in or having to use a web browser for email. Is that an option for the iphone? Are there issues with this method? Would a company have issues with this method since it's not push?

On a similar note, how do the remote wiping tools work and how do you access them?

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I have the same problem. My University IT person said they would support iPhones maybe in August!

I can connect without VPN from mac.mail program though, but when I use the same server settings on the iPhone, it fails verification. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

lnferno

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
The Exchange server admin has to set your account to allow for wireless access. You can access your Exchange account through IMAP and cradle to sync your contacts and calender, but to setup an actual Exchange account, your Exchange account has to be configured with the wireless access to do so.

huskydsl

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Seattle
Setting up Exchange

You have to have access to the exchange pieces that allow remote access. If your company uses Outlook Web Access, and you have permissions to access your mail through the web from any computer using OWA, then you likely will be able to set up exchange without getting any additional permissions.

go to settings>mail,contacts,calendars
Touch add account
Touch Exchange
Use the account name exactly as you would enter it in your OWA login screen. Include the domain name if you are required to do that for accessing OWA.
Enter your password you would use for OWA.

Click next and you will be prompted to add the server. Use your OWA server address minus the http part. It's the same as what is shown in your browser address bar when you access OWA. If that all doesn't work, you'll likely need to work with your IT folks to make some mods to your account or the exchange structure to allow you to use the sync

CKJ

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Thanks for the info huskydsl. I have owa access for my work and am also unable to get access. Why is it my blackberry could access this webemail without an issue?

It's a huge hassle to get the IT team involved. I work at a large company with outsourced India IT that could give a crap about my iphone exchange access. I'm sure they will tell me to fly a kite. :(

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
You have to have access to the exchange pieces that allow remote access. If your company uses Outlook Web Access, and you have permissions to access your mail through the web from any computer using OWA, then you likely will be able to set up exchange without getting any additional permissions.

Touch add account
Touch Exchange
Use the account name exactly as you would enter it in your OWA login screen. Include the domain name if you are required to do that for accessing OWA.

Click next and you will be prompted to add the server. Use your OWA server address minus the http part. It's the same as what is shown in your browser address bar when you access OWA. If that all doesn't work, you'll likely need to work with your IT folks to make some mods to your account or the exchange structure to allow you to use the sync

OMG...it works like a charm. I would have thought I would need our IT group to do something besides support OWA (which they've stated they won't do under any circumstances)...they are not fans of the iPhone and strongly prefer RIM products. This is sooooo great!!!!:D

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Hmm... My verification still fails. They don't even allow IMAP or POP access, if that makes any difference - seems like i'm stuck with OWA for now. It's weird though, b/c i can set up mail.app or entourage just fine, but it doesn't work on my iphone?

boojie

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
need some help!

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEAAAASSSSE! IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW DO ERASE THE 2.0 ON MY FIRST GENERATION THAT I UPGRADED THIS MORNING WITHOUT THINKING!!! then from there i can redo the rest myyself ini ziphone...thank yoyu soo much if anyone can help

lnferno

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Hmm... My verification still fails. They don't even allow IMAP or POP access, if that makes any difference - seems like i'm stuck with OWA for now. It's weird though, b/c i can set up mail.app or entourage just fine, but it doesn't work on my iphone?

In your account in Active Directory/Exchange, there is an attribute specifically called "Outlook Mobile Access" (OMA). That value needs to be set to "enabled". On your MAC, you're likely connecting via Web-Dav, which is not the same protocol as OMA.

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
So, according to IT's website, they use something called "Good mobile messaging server" for Windows mobile, but they don't have any server settings listed.

Does this mean I should be able to connect my iphone, or does it mean i wont?

lnferno

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
So, according to IT's website, they use something called "Good mobile messaging server" for Windows mobile, but they don't have any server settings listed.

Does this mean I should be able to connect my iphone, or does it mean i wont?

I don't believe that the Good Mobile service is compatible with the iPhone.

Nimiety

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
@huskydsl - wow - I am surprised, I admit, but that worked like a charm for me as well! I now have push email from exchange just like that.

monkeytennis

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
This is probably a complete non-starter, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

My IT dept doesn't have IMAP, and my exchange server in Outlook is KTEALXCH002A.kt.group.local, which isn't an 'internet-friendly' address or domain. I pinged that address from work and it had an email address which *looked* OK but which was unreachable from home and it failed on my iPhone.

So I'm wondering if there's any clever bods out there who can tell me how I might find an accessible Exchange server that I can use with my iPhone. We have webmail - could it be deduced from that?

Many thanks for any help, even if the answer's "no" :)

Nimiety

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
So I'm wondering if there's any clever bods out there who can tell me how I might find an accessible Exchange server that I can use with my iPhone. We have webmail - could it be deduced from that?QUOTE]

Yes - if you have webmail, take the URL (minus the http:// at the beginning and any / and folders from the end) and stick that in the iphone. It's exactly what I did and it worked for me.

N....

monkeytennis

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
So I'm wondering if there's any clever bods out there who can tell me how I might find an accessible Exchange server that I can use with my iPhone. We have webmail - could it be deduced from that?QUOTE]

Yes - if you have webmail, take the URL (minus the http:// at the beginning and any / and folders from the end) and stick that in the iphone. It's exactly what I did and it worked for me.

N....

Hmm still no luck I'm afraid Nimiety - says account verification failed. Could it be something to do with the fact our webmail only works over https://?

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee

Touch add account
Touch Exchange

Thanks a lot, this worked perfectly, except the mail doesn't want to push to my phone. Emails will show up when I check it manually, but they aren't being pushed. Any idea how to fix this?

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
OMG...it works like a charm. I would have thought I would need our IT group to do something besides support OWA (which they've stated they won't do under any circumstances)...they are not fans of the iPhone and strongly prefer RIM products. This is sooooo great!!!!:D

Same here! I've spent 4 months trying to get the exchange settings from IT so I could set up my WinMo phone [spit!] and now I have my iPhone all set upjust 1 week after receiving it

Thanks - this forum is ACE!

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Thanks a lot, this worked perfectly, except the mail doesn't want to push to my phone. Emails will show up when I check it manually, but they aren't being pushed. Any idea how to fix this?

Active sync needs to be turned on for your account. Your administrator will meed to do that.

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
Same here! I've spent 4 months trying to get the exchange settings from IT so I could set up my WinMo phone [spit!] and now I have my iPhone all set upjust 1 week after receiving it

Thanks - this forum is ACE!

Just one thing - it's covered in other posts on here but not in this thread - depending on how your exchange admin has set things up using exchange will force a passcode lock on your phone :(

I've set mine to a very easy code and for it to only lock after 15 mins.

I'm not happy but having access to my work email [just about] justifies this imposition

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Active sync needs to be turned on for your account. Your administrator will meed to do that.
Actually, if he is getting e-mail at all, then ActiveSync is running.

Push is a different beast and requires additional settings to work. Have your IT administrator look here:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/04/03/424028.aspx

and make sure that your Exchange Server is correctly set up to support Push. Also, when you are testing Push, make sure that the WiFi in your iPhone is turned OFF: Push and WiFi do not play nice.

albeli

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Here

Touch add account
Touch Exchange

Thanks for posting this info! I got my work email set up very quickly and easily. :)

CKJ

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I finally got my work email and calendar working. IT had to enable something on my account for it work. Works like a charm, as good as my old blackberry..

boomshankar

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
I finally got my work email and calendar working. IT had to enable something on my account for it work. Works like a charm, as good as my old blackberry..

Hi CKJ, I am facing similar problem on my iPhone, What settings did your IT team do for your Exchange server mails, Calendar to work?
Like you said its a paain to get IT involved in this. :)

Cheers

vvenk

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
Unable to setup Exchange webmail

Hello:

I followed your directions but unable to connect:

EMail: VenkatV@NJ.ABCCarpets.Com
Server: mail.ABCCarpets.Com/owa
Domain: NJ
username: venkatv
password: the same I use to connect using browser

I turned SSL on.

But it says "Cannot Get Mail; The connection to the Server failed"

The url for accessing the account via the Browser is:

https://mail.ABCCarpets.Com/owa

Any ideas?

Venki

vvenk

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009

Hello:

I followed your directions but unable to connect:

EMail: VenkatV@NJ.ABCCarpets.Com
Server: mail.ABCCarpets.Com/owa
Domain: NJ
username: venkatv
password: the same I use to connect using browser

I turned SSL on.

But it says "Cannot Get Mail; The connection to the Server failed"

The url for accessing the account via the Browser is:

https://mail.ABCCarpets.Com/owa

Any ideas?

Venki

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.