PDA

View Full Version : Important All Read

MattGTO
Jul 11, 2008, 12:07 PM
Just got on the line with Tech Support (I was among the first callers after they opened it up), and the lady I talked to went and called iTunes supprt themselves, and they said that because too many people are trying to download it at once, that the servers are getting overloaded. Just thought I would confirm this as I heard it form a higher-up iTunes rep.

So EVERYONE STOP CHECKING FOR UPDATES, you're just exasperating the problem.

natezire71
Jul 11, 2008, 12:10 PM
Just got on the line with Tech Support (I was among the first callers after they opened it up), and the lady I talked to went and called iTunes supprt themselves, and they said that because too many people are trying to download it at once, that the servers are getting overloaded. Just thought I would confirm this as I heard it form a higher-up iTunes rep.

So EVERYONE STOP CHECKING FOR UPDATES, you're just exasperating the problem.
Ugh..... But, when we stop, and we check again later, we'll all just check at the same time.... Thus, creating the same problem.....

atomheartmother
Jul 11, 2008, 12:10 PM
I don't buy it. If it were simply a problem of overloaded servers, we wouldn't have this ridiculous bouncing back and forth between 2.0 being available and 1.1.4 being the current version available.

Plus, did the iPhone 2.0 update release have these problems? There have to be way more iPhone owners than Touch owners.

MattGTO
Jul 11, 2008, 12:12 PM
I don't buy it. If it were simply a problem of overloaded servers, we wouldn't have this ridiculous bouncing back and forth between 2.0 being available and 1.1.4 being the current version available.

Plus, did the iPhone 2.0 update release have these problems? There have to be way more iPhone owners than Touch owners.

Same problem over there in the iPhone forum.

natezire71
Jul 11, 2008, 12:12 PM

I know.... You make a fine point.

Maybe they are just saying it as a cover up? As in, they weren't ready for this and they are saying the servers are overloaded to make it sound like its not Apple's fault?

LeahM
Jul 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
If that was the case, then atleast SOME of the people would have been successful in downloading the update.

iJawn108
Jul 11, 2008, 12:29 PM
im downloading the 2.0 firmware right now

scotty96LSC
Jul 11, 2008, 12:29 PM
If that was the case, then atleast SOME of the people would have been successful in downloading the update.
In other threads some have gotten the update. But this is like trying to be caller number 99 in New York City for free tickets. Someone has got to get through but most do not.
And yes, this to shall pass, and we will all get our 2.0 fix.

skipperj
Jul 11, 2008, 12:31 PM
It could be that they have brought a new bank of servers online with the updates. When it can connect there, you get the 2.0 Update is available message. But, when you try to go to the iTunes store it is overloaded and just can't be reached. I'm guessing that when you select "Learn More" it is really just taking you to the iPod Touch Landing Page, just like when you go from the apple.com. (A LOT more info is pushed when you connect to the store as opposed to just checking for an update.)

My guess is that eventually the new servers get overloaded and go offline, returning to the old 1.1.4 servers.

I think they really are just overloaded, especially when you read about the problems they are having at all the stores getting stuff registered. Remember, at 8am EDT, you could click on the iPod Touch Landing Page link and just get redirected to the Itunes store. Then, around 8am CDT, that stopped working. Around the same time, all of a sudden people started getting the 2.0 is available message. And, the rest of the country (besides us, of course) started waking up.

Just a thought to explain the erratic behavior.

eji
Jul 11, 2008, 03:36 PM
you're just exasperating the problem.

No, you're exacerbating the problem. You're only exasperating folks who don't like malapropisms.

elbows
Jul 11, 2008, 03:46 PM
I know.... You make a fine point.

Maybe they are just saying it as a cover up? As in, they weren't ready for this and they are saying the servers are overloaded to make it sound like its not Apple's fault?

No, servers being overloaded = not being ready = Apple's fault. They cannot cover up the fact its been a mess, which they could have seen coming.

They really need a mechanism for staggering demand, ie only letting so many people see & download 2.0 at a time.

Ahh this reminds me of when the Crackdown version of the Halo beta for XBOX360 didnt emerge on time.

IJ Reilly
Jul 11, 2008, 03:50 PM
No, you're exacerbating the problem. You're only exasperating folks who don't like malapropisms.

Not to mention, annoying people who expect thread titles to accurately reflect thread content.