Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mitchellh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Hi,

This is a tip I have for you all. While you're waiting for the iTunes activation servers to not burp so much, and for those of you who are frustrated with NO working phone since your old one was decommissioned and your new one is not activated, there is a way around it I found to get it started immediately (though you will not be able to sync yet).

Just have someone send you a text message. You'll receive it and be able to view it and as soon as you hit the home button you'll be at a normal iPhone 3G installation =]

Like I said, if you plug it back into iTunes it will just try to activate so you can keep on tryiing while you use your phone for business/whatever.

Good luck

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
This isn't working for me, I'm still at the brick screen with the plug showing to connect to itunes...tried sending two messages, no dice. Not sure if you guys are passed that step though.

mitchellh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
This DOES NOT work lol.

Delete thread imo

Well it worked for me and from reading around this forum it has worked for a few others too. I'm not straight-up lying here, its what I did while I was waiting for my phone to be activated. I would take a picture but I happened to get through to iTunes servers after 40 mins so I can't.

Anyways, it doesn't hurt to try this method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.