Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
So the .Mac -> MobileMe transition didn't go very smoothly, after more than 24 hours after it was supposed to have launched I'm still not able to log in and use it reliably (although it has gone through brief periods of working, to give credit where credits due).

Meanwhile...

Apart from the fact they seem to have HUGELY overstretched their supply by launching in 22(?) countries at once, leaving stores in the UK with as little as 0 (nil, null, zero, zilch, etc) iPhones at all, people lucky enough to get one couldn't get them working, in store or at home. Not to mention people who have had iPhones for ages, couldn't re-activate them after an update offered to them automatically by iTunes.

It seems Apple vision outstripped it's competence this time, giving the anti-Apple PR machines plenty to grumble about. Although, I'm sure it's nothing they can't come back from :apple:

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
The failure in the activation system is definitely not the best execution that I have seen from Apple. The conspiracy part of my wants to believe that it was intentional, since I am sure AT&T insisted on in store activation and Apple didn't want it.

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
The failure in the activation system is definitely not the best execution that I have seen from Apple. The conspiracy part of my wants to believe that it was intentional, since I am sure AT&T insisted on in store activation and Apple didn't want it.

I'm not so sure Apple would have let issues like that happen on purpose, their own staff in their own stores having problems selling iPhone is nothing but bad press.

Their selling out of iPhone, regardless of whether it was because of huge demand or low stock, is still good press because they sold out either way. O2 splashing across their iPhone page that "Apple iPhone 3G stock is very limited" didn't help the "high demand" side of things, but still, they sold out on their first day!

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I'm not so sure Apple would have let issues like that happen on purpose, their own staff in their own stores having problems selling iPhone is nothing but bad press.

Their selling out of iPhone, regardless of whether it was because of huge demand or low stock, is still good press because they sold out either way. O2 splashing across their iPhone page that "Apple iPhone 3G stock is very limited" didn't help the "high demand" side of things, but still, they sold out on their first day!

I'm just saying. People are being let out without activation. Faster lines = more sales :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.