PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade for a voodoo Omen?

LongLiveTheKing
Jul 11, 2008, 01:06 PM
Check it out (http://www.voodoopc.com/#/productsomen)
Especially with modifications to vista like vista osx and finderbar, that might be a "Omen" for the death of the mac pro (not realistic). And their prices are kind of reasonable, look at the envy's pricing.

With their purchase by hp, they seem to be better priced and specked than ever. So would you trade your mac for a voodoo?

Tallest Skil
Jul 11, 2008, 01:11 PM
The processors are completely different. You'd still get 1.5x the performance out of the standard Mac Pro as you would a maxed-out Omen.

These computers are for different markets.

The Mac Pro is for professionals.

The Omen is for people who like screens in their towers and refrigerators.

dbam987
Jul 11, 2008, 01:19 PM
Especially with modifications to vista like vista osx and finderbar, that might be a "Omen" for the death of the mac pro (not realistic). And their prices are kind of reasonable, look at the envy's pricing.

With their purchase by hp, they seem to be better priced and specked than ever. So would you trade your mac for a voodoo?

While it does have some impressive specs, I'd rather go for for an 8-core Mac Pro, that has memory expansion up to 32 GB's. Plus, the Mac Pro comes with Mac OSX.

If only Apple would license out Mac OSX... :(

matt321
Jul 11, 2008, 01:21 PM
Nope. Not that the Voodoo Omen is a bad PC but I actually use my Mac. This is nothing but an overpriced PC in a "nicer" package for rich people. The Mac Pro would kill this machine in everything but gaming.

Spanky Deluxe
Jul 11, 2008, 01:34 PM
No way.

sash
Jul 11, 2008, 01:44 PM
This question seems more suitable on some PC forum, I'm afraid.

yeroen
Jul 11, 2008, 02:00 PM
I'm guessing the honeymoon with a new Omen will only last as long as the liquid coolant refrains from leaking all over the interior.

Why is there no pricing information? Is this one of those 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it' deals?

swiss tony
Jul 11, 2008, 02:05 PM
hows it supposed to compete with dual xeons, dual 4850s, 16gb ram? bet it costs alot more too!

mikeyPotg
Jul 11, 2008, 02:25 PM
OMG NO - coming from a former VooDoo owner.

Years ago, while I was still a broke College student, I decided to "invest" in a Voodoo laptop (I think the M855 to be specific)... The sold me on how awesome it would be and how it would "last a lifetime" with their support and upgrades.
I spent $3,500 on this investment...
Yeah it was a pretty solid computer for the first HALF year. I played a ton of games on it, mainly warcraft III and City of Heroes. Then it starting crapping out on me. I think it was because the heat was just too much for it and it started to mess the insides up. I even had a laptop cooling fan on it though, but I guess it didn't help enough.
Regardless, the laptop would just shut down on me while playing games if it got too "warm", not even hot. I then gave it to my sister for College so she could do basic word processing with my $3,500 machine. Sure enough, about half a year after that, it stopped working on her. The tech people at her college couldn't even salvage the hard drive, and no one could get the thing working again. It was a brick in less than 2 years.

For what its worth, I could have sent it in for repairs but I didn't have the money, time, patience. They would've charged me full price for the new parts and all of that.

Expensive mistake... About 2 years after that I got into Mac's and haven't looked back!

m1stake
Jul 11, 2008, 03:16 PM
If you want a gaming computer, but don't want to build it yourself, you don't want a gaming computer.

dbam987
Jul 11, 2008, 03:24 PM
If you want a gaming computer, but don't want to build it yourself, you don't want a gaming computer.

I don't think this is true. Mac Pro's can be suitable for gaming. You just need to get the NVidia graphics option, boot camp + (xp or vista), plus crysis game and your set. it'll be slightly costly to get the xp/vista license if you dont' already have a copy... but Mac Pro's can game. and do it well.

m1stake
Jul 11, 2008, 03:41 PM
To clarify:

I plan on buying a mac pro for gaming. But I wouldn't recommend it as a cost effective method at all. If you want to play games, for the most part you should be using a PC, which you can build yourself without the hassle of buying from a company that makes you spend more than you have to. Computer companies (Apple included) make you trade this for that. You really want the ________, but you don't care about the _________. Building your own computer lets you only pay for what you want, without having to pay for what you don't want.

Also Nvidia drivers cause a ridiculously disproportionate amount of crashes in windows (Microsoft released numbers a while ago). ATI computers feel a lot better and don't have those NV driver problems.

It's funny how NV can't write OSX drivers (Since they make Apple do it), and apparently they can't write Windows drivers either :rolleyes:

Firefly2002
Jul 11, 2008, 10:38 PM
The processors are completely different. You'd still get 1.5x the performance out of the standard Mac Pro as you would a maxed-out Omen.

These computers are for different markets.

The Mac Pro is for professionals.

The Omen is for people who like screens in their towers and refrigerators.

Erm... the processors are *completely* different? How so?

Techguy172
Jul 11, 2008, 10:45 PM
Erm... the processors are *completely* different? How so?

While they aren't completely different one is for Workstations (Mac Pro) the other is for consumers.

smogsy
Jul 12, 2008, 03:01 AM
Proccessor
Omen
Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX9650 "LGA775 Yorkfield" 3.00GHz (1333FSB) x2
Mac Pro
Xeon Qaud-Core @ 3.0Ghz (1600mhz)

Ram:
Omen
Max of 8GB @ 1600mhz

Mac Pro
Max of 32GB @ 800mhz

GFX
Omen
Any Near Enough

Mac Pro
Crossfire Only

you can see by that the diffferences and you can see the Mac Pro is Superior For the Workstation Market People in Video/Editing Would Suffer if they pickedthe omen due to lack of OSX and memory max of 8GB

hardcore gamers
would suffer if they couldn't put the latest greatest in there mac pro

Tallest Skil
Jul 12, 2008, 06:58 AM
hardcore gamers
would suffer if they couldn't put the latest greatest in there mac pro

Which they can. There is absolutely no contest as to which one you should get.

dantherevelator
Jul 12, 2008, 07:05 AM
Man, the VooDoo website is slower than frickin' MobileMe.

Techguy172
Jul 12, 2008, 08:12 AM
Which they can. There is absolutely no contest as to which one you should get.

If your a gamer then I would get the Voodoo, the mac pro cannot get the best
Graphics cards, It does not have the right Connectors.

Tallest Skil
Jul 12, 2008, 08:16 AM
If your a gamer then I would get the Voodoo, the mac pro cannot get the best
Graphics cards, It does not have the right Connectors.

It has PCI Express 2.0 and two standard external power connectors. It can handle any graphics card.

Techguy172
Jul 12, 2008, 08:20 AM
It has PCI Express 2.0 and two standard external power connectors. It can handle any graphics card.

There are threads here everywhere about how it cannot support the ATI 4870x2

Tallest Skil
Jul 12, 2008, 08:28 AM
There are threads here everywhere about how it cannot support the ATI 4870x2

Where?

iZac
Jul 12, 2008, 08:28 AM
i would certainly never trade my Mac Pro for one of them, but if they took that stupid screen out, changed it's material to something i don't find on my kitchen sink, and removed the angry chicken logo, i wouldn't mind having it under my desk, next to my Mac Pro.

Freyqq
Jul 12, 2008, 03:57 PM
OMG NO - coming from a former VooDoo owner.

Years ago, while I was still a broke College student, I decided to "invest" in a Voodoo laptop (I think the M855 to be specific)... The sold me on how awesome it would be and how it would "last a lifetime" with their support and upgrades.
I spent $3,500 on this investment...
Yeah it was a pretty solid computer for the first HALF year. I played a ton of games on it, mainly warcraft III and City of Heroes. Then it starting crapping out on me. I think it was because the heat was just too much for it and it started to mess the insides up. I even had a laptop cooling fan on it though, but I guess it didn't help enough.
Regardless, the laptop would just shut down on me while playing games if it got too "warm", not even hot. I then gave it to my sister for College so she could do basic word processing with my $3,500 machine. Sure enough, about half a year after that, it stopped working on her. The tech people at her college couldn't even salvage the hard drive, and no one could get the thing working again. It was a brick in less than 2 years.

For what its worth, I could have sent it in for repairs but I didn't have the money, time, patience. They would've charged me full price for the new parts and all of that.

Expensive mistake... About 2 years after that I got into Mac's and haven't looked back!

I'm sorry but...you bought a gaming laptop for warcraft 3?...my old p4 with a geforce 3 can run that.. Also, if it was broken the warranty would have covered hte repairs. You spent 3.5k on a laptop but didn't bother calling tech support to repair it? Sorry but your story sounds very fishy.

Firefly2002
Jul 12, 2008, 04:06 PM
While they aren't completely different one is for Workstations (Mac Pro) the other is for consumers.

They're about as different as Intel's standard chip and their Xeons have always been.... hardly at all.

Techguy172
Jul 12, 2008, 04:54 PM
Where?

Here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=513788

Tallest Skil
Jul 13, 2008, 09:29 AM
Here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=513788

I see nothing to suggest that a 4870x2 wouldn't work in a Mac Pro. It needs two external power connectors, and the Mac Pro provides that.

smogsy
Jul 13, 2008, 09:34 AM
Omen can Use 2x4870X2 Mac Pros Cannot due to lack of connectors

that was my point,

zmttoxics
Jul 13, 2008, 10:16 AM
Ya, I dont care about it beating the Mac Pro.

But to me, it is damn sexy and a Canadian company (that was bough by HP :\).

I am all into the sexy looking computers, heres my home grown: http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/5537/1020074v2tz3.jpg

No MacPro or G5 for cabling, but still pretty great if you ask me. :D

Chromako
Jul 14, 2008, 11:54 PM
I do like how they mounted the motherboard so that the ports go up into that little shrouded port duct. Very nice. finally a nice looking combuter back that isn't a G5 or MP. I wonder, btw, how many cpu cycles that bloody usb-interfaced screen takes, though. aiya... I'd probably rather chuck it.

But trade the Voodoo for an octo-xeon MP? never! I don't need windoze for gaming. PS3 though.. mmm... yummy.

Wotan31
Jul 15, 2008, 12:09 PM
And this voodoo omen runs which operating system? Windows, you say?

fail. no thx.

Infrared
Jul 15, 2008, 12:28 PM

If their PCs are as poorly designed as their web pages...