Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has also released Java 3D and Java Advanced Imaging Update.

This update contains support for Java3D and Java Advanced ImagingJava 3D extends the Java platform, providing additional capabilities for running three-dimensional graphics applications and Internet-based 3D applets.

Java Advanced Imaging (JAI) Update extends the Java platform, providing additional capabilities for running image processing applications and imaging applets in Java.

ckwm

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
UK
Good grief they've been busy - three updates! I would have thought they would all be working on the new iWrite tablet/pda/phone with built in wireless video distribution, dual G5s, liquid cooling and toaster. Maybe my dreams for MWSF are not going to come true after all...

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Hey!

I want to start my work and have been just updating and writing here what I get... :D

What's next? , nice if they got an improvement... 3 in row... ok, I'll back! computer is restart...

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
So why isn't this in software update?

the 10.3.2 update went perfect for me with no broken permissions (off topic I know but I didn't want to post to both threads)

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Probably wasn't included with 10.3.2 because it wasn't part of the seeded developers software package.

I'm hoping this helps abit on the Java side while browsing on the net.

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
Time to Pantherise..

Uh oh. I just noticed that it needs Panther. I really am happy with Jaguar, but I suppose I should ge twith the times in my iMac 800...
Would panther kill my iMac G3 333 500MB Ram? Ihave kept it on 9.2, but time to get with the times, I think

Compufix

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
PA
Panther on iMac

I just installed Panther on an iMac (Graphite with 700 megs RAM) last night also noticed in software updates 10.3.2. Machine works VERY well (400 Mhz I think) and it just seems very quick for the age of the machine. Of course the extra RAM always helps.

kenkooler

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Mexico City
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
So why isn't this in software update?

the 10.3.2 update went perfect for me with no broken permissions (off topic I know but I didn't want to post to both threads)

I doesn't appear to me either, probably because I downloaded the betas from the ADC website.

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Re: Time to Pantherise..

Originally posted by JohnStrass
Uh oh. I just noticed that it needs Panther. I really am happy with Jaguar, but I suppose I should ge twith the times in my iMac 800...
Would panther kill my iMac G3 333 500MB Ram? Ihave kept it on 9.2, but time to get with the times, I think

Your iMac G3 could technically run it (heck, we have a 333 MHz iMac at work running Jaguar) but it would probably not be a good idea, unless you intend to use it as, say, an iTunes jukebox for a network or an FTP server.

Lewisham

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
So is this release the same as the developer tools 2 beta? I'm currently in the middle of a year-long Uni project being developed in Java 3D, a confirmed stable release would be excellent.

I haven't yet found any link on the Apple site to download the standalone package yet... :(

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
I don't knwo wwhat everyone is complaining about... the link is in the news article... about three words in, it's highlighted for you...

just click on it and it takes you to Apple's website, you can download it from there.

Lewisham

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
*wipes egg off face*
It's still early. I haven't had a coffee. I've been drinking gin...

*just look cool and no-one will notice*
:cool:

rotorblade

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
Re: Time to Pantherise..

Originally posted by JohnStrass

I installed Panther on my sisters Blueberry 333 (w/512MB RAM) and I was pleasantly surprised by how well Panther ran on it. Tried an audio iChat session and numerous other applications and they all ran really well. For the everyday user, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Panther for older iMacs.

vanmonkey

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2003
Re: Re: Time to Pantherise..

Originally posted by rotorblade
I installed Panther on my sisters Blueberry 333 (w/512MB RAM) and I was pleasantly surprised by how well Panther ran on it. Tried an audio iChat session and numerous other applications and they all ran really well. For the everyday user, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Panther for older iMacs.

I'm a big fan of the OS X upgrades, and my testing ground has been...
(drumroll please)
...My girlfriend's Bodi Blue iMac (233Mhz)!!

And not a single complaint. OS X just keeps getting faster and faster!

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
It doesn't appear in Software Update!! Yeesh, not every update appears in there. This is one of those things that probably only a vast minority is going to use, so it's useless to put it in the control panel. If you want it, you need to download it via the link.

Macco

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
So... what exactly do these updates do? I mean, what sort of applications would implement Java 3D and in what sort of way?

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
It is odd that Apple is releasing updates for an API which Sun is no longer really supporting themselves. While its great that they listened to outstanding demand for the API by Java developers and provided it - there are no Sun developers actually working on the original Java3D API any more.

All of the meat of development (from Sun) has moved onto the Java Game Initiative APIs (which are also open source).

So while this is cool, it seems to make no logistical sense at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.