Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yldawg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I have run into all sorts of problems. I spoke with MobileMe support, and they had me run some tests and then basically left me hanging. They said they'd get back with me, but it's been 6 hours. How long do I have to wait? I'd really like to get it squared away...any help would be appreciated.

benfischer

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
I have run into all sorts of problems. I spoke with MobileMe support, and they had me run some tests and then basically left me hanging. They said they'd get back with me, but it's been 6 hours. How long do I have to wait? I'd really like to get it squared away...any help would be appreciated.

No one's even gotten MobileMe to work, period.

philamac

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
The title should be changed to "Has anyone gotten MobileMe to work?"
It seems like email might be working, but I haven't been able to get my contacts nor calendars working with it. Haven't tried anything else yet.

I heard some mac users have gotten their contacts and calendars uploaded. Have PC users, especially Outlook users, had any luck?

If anyone has gotten MobileMe to work 100% for them, please post your setup here (OS, mail client, contacts client, calendar client).

philamac

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
[update] push email seems to work pretty much instantly. Still trying out the Contacts & Calendars.

philamac

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
[update]
Contacts pretty much works now... its just nowhere near instant.
Calendars... pushing to iPhone, and Outlook2007, but where have my birthdays gone? Even on the webapp, the birthdays thing seems buggy! (using Firefox3)

Setup:
PC | iPhone | Outlook2007 for Calendars & Contacts

bottomline: MobileMe is working, but at the pace of a tortoise! If you've just uploaded some stuff, be patient and wait a min before you freak cause it's not showing up.

Tip for windows users: in ControlPanel > MobileMe Preferences > check the 'Show in System Tray' option. Then go to your startmenu properties and make sure the mobileme icon is on 'Always Show'
That way you can visually see if your windows PC is connected to mobileMe. If you can't see the icon, mobileme crashed and your outlook will become unresponsive (neither push nor recieve)

philamac

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
[update]

Contacts
- "Groups" made in the webApp show up on iPhone, but when looking under said "group" on iphone, no contacts were listed.
- "Groups" made in the webApp do not show up in Outlook 2007 at all.

TWHH

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
So, does this work for those of us using Tiger?

To bring this thread back on topic...

Can anyone tell me if MobileMe is in fact available for those of us running Tiger?

Apple's website says it'll work via SW Update if yo are running 10.4.11. I am, but each time I run SW Update nothing comes up - I'm 'up to date' but in System Prefs the .mac icon is there and there is no mention of Mobile Me at all.

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space

Can anyone tell me if MobileMe is in fact available for those of us running Tiger?

Apple's website says it'll work via SW Update if yo are running 10.4.11. I am, but each time I run SW Update nothing comes up - I'm 'up to date' but in System Prefs the .mac icon is there and there is no mention of Mobile Me at all.

Thanks

I'm in the exact same boat on my wife's machine running 10.4.11. This doesn't exactly help, but it's always nice to know you're not the only one having a particular problem.

TWHH

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
How very odd - having done some digging around in Apple's own support forums I thought this might have been a UK issue (We tend to get things from Apple a little later than you luck y folk in the US)...

...but clearly not.

This does appear to be a pretty flakey launch of a service...

Since '84

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
I am running 10.4.11 and can send and receive emails via web no problem, but when I add the account to Mail app on my MBP, I can only receive, not send emails. The smpt server by default is smtp.mac.com:username, and if I change it to smtp.me.com:username, I still can't send emails. What am I doing wrong here?
By the way, I can send and receive fine on the iPhone through me.com.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
Put me in the same boat as most of you. I still have the .Mac preference pane, and although I can access me.com, there's nothing there since the initial sync isn't working, I get an error message when trying to sync.

picture8kb8.png

I also have a thread about it in Apple Discussions.

gearhead911

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2007

Thanks

im having the same problem, im running tiger 10.4.11 and no mention of mobile me in system prefs and no update in sw update, help anybody?

d.f

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
Push It!

does anyone know if Tiger IS getting push..?

if not, then i've got it all working i think. annoying, as it's good, but clearly on Leopard it's GREAT.

it works as expected, but you have to manually click the drop-down Sync All to update. so if that's it..?? then i'll need Leopard or work out how to use Applescript.

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
can't log in to .mac account in MobileMe setup

I click on the setup MobileMe button in iTunes which sends me to the web page for the service. In step two of the instructions it says login to .mac account on your mac running Tiger 10.4.11 (I've had the account since I bought my PowerBook a few years ago) but I can't login. When I try to enter my username it won't let me enter the @ symbol. Has anyone else come across this under 10.4.11?

I can send and receive emails on my iPhone 3G. I restored mail, contacts and calendar from my old unlocked 1.1.4 iPhone, which my partner has just inherited.

I believe that the Apple documentation says that the .Mac logo will be the same blue globe as before in the sysrem preferences on my Mac but that the MobileMe functionally will be underneath.

Has anyone else had the '@'problem trying to login to their upgraded - or should that be degraded - .Mac/MobileMe account ?

beejam

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
Working for iCal on Tiger so far.

I've been able to get iCal working somewhat under 10.4.11. I have a birthday calendar pulled from contacts that won't publish to me.com for some reason. But I can make an event on me.com and get it pushed to my iCal and iPhone.

For the system prefs, I just put my info in under the .mac member info.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Been working for me on my Leopard machine all afternoon. Just started working on my Tiger machine. When they get this right, it is going to be the killer app.

malukie

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
MobileMe on Tiger

No problem for me - I'm running 10.4.11 and got everything working with my ipod touch and my mac - contacts, calendar, bookmarks & mail. I just followed the setup directions on the MobileMe page. (There is no mention of MobileMe, but just use the .Mac sync. I guess you don't see "MobileMe" unless you're running Leopard))

rdp5008

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Florida
delete the .plist files associated with "dotmac"

I did a finder search for "dotmac" and deleted the three .plist files that showed up. I restarted. And everything worked perfectly!

Prior to that I could not get it to sync at all (using Tiger).

Hope that helps some of you all.

Since '84

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
Finally got ot sorted out.
Great tip. Spent hours on it and got nowhere until now.
In Tiger (10.4.11)
Just deleted all of the files with 'dotmac' that ended in .plist and restarted.
Now I can log in under System Preferences, click '.Mac', logged in and clicked 'Sync' and highlighted everything and clicked 'sync now'.
Now all my Contacts, Calendars and me.com mail is available on the http://www.me.com website.
:)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Finally got ot sorted out.
Great tip. Spent hours on it and got nowhere until now.
In Tiger (10.4.11)
Just deleted all of the files with 'dotmac' that ended in .plist and restarted.
Now I can log in under System Preferences, click '.Mac', logged in and clicked 'Sync' and highlighted everything and clicked 'sync now'.
Now all my Contacts, Calendars and me.com mail is available on the http://www.me.com website.
:)

I don't think many people are having a problem syncing with MobileMe or using the website, I think everyone is having the issue of not getting the software update to change the .Mac icon in System Preferences to MM. My Leopard machine is all up and running but my Tiger machine can't get the update from SW. What gives?

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
I don't think many people are having a problem syncing with MobileMe or using the website, I think everyone is having the issue of not getting the software update to change the .Mac icon in System Preferences to MM. My Leopard machine is all up and running but my Tiger machine can't get the update from SW. What gives?

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any "Software Update" for Tiger (other than the iTunes update). I don't think there is a Tiger version of the MobileMe Updater.

Apple says that, "Most MobileMe features work with Tiger, but... MobileMe features will still appear as .Mac."
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1932

genshi

macrumors 6502a

I just found this on Apple's Knowledge Base, apparently MobileMe will still show up as .Mac in Tiger:

I have Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, can I still use MobileMe?
Most MobileMe features work with Tiger, but you must be running the latest version (currently version 10.4.11) and MobileMe features will still appear as .Mac. Some features, such as Back to My Mac, do require Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. For details about using Mail with MobileMe in Mac OS X 10.4.11, read this article.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1932

Hope that helps answer why Tiger won't be getting the update to change the .Mac Preference pane (but it will still sync to MobileME.)

EDIT: Ahh, meli beat me by "that much!"

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
I seem to have things working now... although I don't seem to be able to send emails from Mail using my MobileMe email account.

Also, is there a way to use smart groups on the MobileMe online service or on the iPhone? Or to send an email to an entire group from the iPhone? This seems like an obvious thing to include, if you ask me, but it doesn't seem possible.

EDIT: Fixed Mail, and Smart Groups aren't compatible. Hey-ho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.