Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brin309

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I'm aware that Apple doesn't support Windows Xp64, however this usually hasn't been too much of an issue. Just like usual, the newest version of iTunes arrived a few days ago, and I did the usual cracking nonsense to make it work on xp64 (basically you just take the drivers from vista 64, and presto-chango... it works). However, the firmware update is breaking during what appears to me to be a driver install called The Apple Recovery (iBoot) USB Driver. It becomes evident, very quickly, that my Windows XP64 is just plain old not compatible with my iPod Touch. Eventually iTunes gives up, and the "unknown error (1604)" occurs.

Now, normally I have been 'clever' (desperate?) enough to get around various iTunes compatibility issues and we have had a great relationship.

But is this the end of it? Does anyone have any information as to why Apple finds it so freakin' necessary to install drivers during a freakin' firmware update? Or did I botch something during the 7.7 install?

Any other xp64 hackers running in to this?
Anyone have any extra information?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.