PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime 6.5 Released


MacRumors
Dec 18, 2003, 12:06 PM
Apple has released Quicktime 6.5 in your Mac OS X Software Update:

QuickTime 6.5 delivers a number of new features and important updates, including:

- Creation and playback of mobile multimedia in the new 3GPP2 format.
- Creation and playback of mobile multimedia in the popular AMC format.
- Improved text track support.
- Enhanced DV playback options.
- Enhanced support for iMovie, iDVD, and Final Cut Pro.

nuckinfutz
Dec 18, 2003, 12:07 PM
Nice. I hope quicktime 7 comes out during NAB or WWDC.

I'm ready for the next BIG upgrade to QT

Sonofhaig
Dec 18, 2003, 12:11 PM
Wow! Lots of updates lately...

AmigoMac
Dec 18, 2003, 12:12 PM
4 and counting.... Hey! Apple what's up in cupertino? ;)

Mr.Hey
Dec 18, 2003, 12:13 PM
Apple's on a roll.

pb1212580
Dec 18, 2003, 12:13 PM
wow... more update!!!
wonder if this has anythign to do with the "upcoming" iapps?!

pb1212580
Dec 18, 2003, 12:14 PM
It's pretty big too... 18MB?!?!! half of the OS update!

What are they putting in there?!?!! pixlet related?

iSight/iChat related?

tazznb
Dec 18, 2003, 12:15 PM
I hope it's a nice update.

jouster
Dec 18, 2003, 12:23 PM
D@mn, you guys are fast: it JUST appeared in my Software Update.....

Gymnut
Dec 18, 2003, 12:25 PM
Yeah what is with the slew of updates as of late? If I wasn't on cable I'd be a little irked.

SilentPanda
Dec 18, 2003, 12:27 PM
Steve: "Hey guys, it's almost Christmas break. Compile what you've written and throw it in software update..."

:)

geerlingguy
Dec 18, 2003, 12:42 PM
- Enhanced support for iMovie, iDVD, and Final Cut Pro.

Hmmm... I think something to do with iLife! New iMovie, new iDVD, maybe new iTunes, PLEASE new iPhoto - is QuickTime related to iPhoto in any way?

pb1212580
Dec 18, 2003, 12:45 PM
related to iPhoto? Maybe importing pictures to make movies?


Originally posted by geerlingguy
- Enhanced support for iMovie, iDVD, and Final Cut Pro.

Hmmm... I think something to do with iLife! New iMovie, new iDVD, maybe new iTunes, PLEASE new iPhoto - is QuickTime related to iPhoto in any way?

Laslo Panaflex
Dec 18, 2003, 12:52 PM
Didn't show up for me untill did the 10.3.2 update. Does this mean that quicktime 6.5 requires 10.3.2?

Mr.Hey
Dec 18, 2003, 01:09 PM
Requirements for QT
Mac OS X v10.2.5-10.3.

Scrubbing in divx files performs just as well on this B&W 350mhz as once it did on my iBook 600mhz :) may it R.I.P :(.

dongmin
Dec 18, 2003, 01:45 PM
AppleŽ today announced QuickTimeŽ 6.5, the industry's first mainstream media architecture for the creation and playback of rich multimedia content for both CDMA 2000 and GSM wireless networks. Expanding its support for mobile multimedia standards to include both 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) and 3rd Generation Partnership Project 2 (3GPP2), QuickTime 6.5 enables users to share high-quality video, audio and text across the two predominant wireless networking technologies worldwide. Groundwork for an Apple media phone?

How cool would it be to be able to ichat using one of these phones. No need for a computer and iSight. Simply buy an iPhone, connect to a 3G network, and voila, you can do multimedia chats with any Mac & iPhone user worldwide.

tduality
Dec 18, 2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by SilentPanda
Steve: "Hey guys, it's almost Christmas break. Compile what you've written and throw it in software update..."

:)


Alright Steve, I'm off.....:D :D :D

ssamani
Dec 18, 2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by dongmin
Groundwork for an Apple media phone?

How cool would it be to be able to ichat using one of these phones. No need for a computer and iSight. Simply buy an iPhone, connect to a 3G network, and voila, you can do multimedia chats with any Mac & iPhone user worldwide.

3G iPod is the device I reckon is Apple's next big thing. They couldn't add value to existing PDA's or mobile phones, as they added value to the MP3 player with the iPod. But iChat AV, Voice / Video over IP, and MPEG 4 at the hear of 3G phone video, means that Apple can create a killer 3G handset. Either an iPhone or better yet an integrated iPod with 3G phone. It will be the death of land lines and finally video calls will finally take off after years of failed attempts.

AppleMatt
Dec 18, 2003, 02:17 PM
Is it just me or did previous QuickTime installations require a restart?

AppleMatt

MacsRgr8
Dec 18, 2003, 02:31 PM
I had to restart.

Running 10.3.2

mactastic
Dec 18, 2003, 02:36 PM
Geez, I leave for a couple hours and there's a couple more updates to dl! As long and they don't fsck up my machine keep 'em coming Apple.:D

Lets see how big these are....

Hey, I get the QT update showing up, but there's no iTunes update showing. What's up with that?

AppleMatt
Dec 18, 2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Is it just me or did previous QuickTime installations require a restart?

AppleMatt

Crap/ I had to too. My SU is screwed, it didn't say I had to.
It still shows 10.3.1, 10.3.2 and Bluetooth 1.4.1. I think I'll make them inactive.

I thought Apple were finally listening and we were heading over to restart-less updates!

AppleMatt

MacsRgr8
Dec 18, 2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by mactastic

Hey, I get the QT update showing up, but there's no iTunes update showing. What's up with that?

In my case:
QuickTime 6.5 only showed up after installing 10.3.2
iTunes 4.2 never showed up, had to download manually.

Nermal
Dec 18, 2003, 02:42 PM
Does anyone know whether this fixes No One Lives Forever 2? Apparently it doesn't work when QT 6.4's installed.

AppleMatt
Dec 18, 2003, 02:56 PM
ohhh, ohhh.

Entering and exiting full-screen mode is almost instantaneous now, and there's no flicker.

Full-screen performance is slightly up, but still not 10.2/6.3 levels.

A good update :)

AppleMatt

~Shard~
Dec 18, 2003, 03:04 PM
Apple's just pumping out the updates - great to see! This is great warm-up for MWSF!

MacsRgr8
Dec 18, 2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by ~Shard~
Apple's just pumping out the updates - great to see! This is great warm-up for MWSF!

I've been thinking about that.
Apple could have waited a couple of days to release these updates at MWSF.
The Mac OS X 10.3.2 update was expected to arrive when it did, but not the rest.
I wonder if Apple has iApp-updates waiting for us which could require QT 6.5...?
Or maybe somekind of PDA/handheld/phone... requiring QT 6.5...?
Or just to lighten the burden of heavy traffic on their software update servers...?

whatever.. can't wait till January 6th :)

JohnHummel
Dec 18, 2003, 03:51 PM
So far, Quicktime 6.5 does *not* fix that Quicktime 6.4 and greater breaks the game "No One Lives Forever 2" - and so far, the Omni Group and Macplay don't have any fixes for it.

I'm going to install Panther on my iPod to play it that way, but in case anyone else was a game geek and wanted to know.

jaysedai
Dec 18, 2003, 04:01 PM
Any sign of them putting 5.1 audio support in. It was supposed to be a feature of QT 6.4, but was pulled at the last minute.

elmimmo
Dec 19, 2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
popular AMC format

What the heck is this "popular" AMC format?

Scottgfx
Dec 19, 2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by elmimmo
What the heck is this "popular" AMC format?

I think it works with either Pacers or Gremlins. Either way, it's all part of Daimler Chrysler now. The hard part will be support of the Renault Fuego.

true777
Dec 19, 2003, 06:38 AM
The QT update, together with other SW updates AND Steve's MWSF keynote confirmation sound like they just learned they'll be able to announce something huge at MWSF, and can thus "give away" the smaller fish early. QT update was probably one of his backup plans for stuff to announce at MWSF should there be last-minute problems with the bigger things he plans to announce.

I'm thinking 2.0/2.2/2.4 G5s, G5 XServes, new displays, and special edition iPods.

CmdrLaForge
Dec 19, 2003, 01:05 PM
I have downloaded iTunes, QT and Java update 1 at work with my PC and transfered and installed those files later at home.

All 3 installed without any trouble. But in my update I still see them. Does anyone know why ?

What can I do ?

elmimmo
Dec 19, 2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Scottgfx
I think it works with either Pacers or Gremlins. Either way, it's all part of Daimler Chrysler now. The hard part will be support of the Renault Fuego. I am sorry if I am spoiling it, but joke or not, I do not have a clue what you are talking about (besides, you will not be seeing those cars a lot in Europe).

~Shard~
Dec 19, 2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by elmimmo
I am sorry if I am spoiling it, but joke or not, I do not have a clue what you are talking about (besides, you will not be seeing those cars a lot in Europe).

AMC is/was American Motor Company. The Edsel Pacer was a car manufactured in the late 50's by AMC, if I remember correctly, and the AMC Gremlin (and Gremlin-X) were manufactured in the 70's. Get the picture now? ;)

ddbean
Dec 20, 2003, 08:29 AM
How often do people with the QT Pro key have to buy the next version? Like if I get the key now on 6.5, will it be good till QT goes to 7?

AppleMatt
Dec 20, 2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by ddbean
How often do people with the QT Pro key have to buy the next version? Like if I get the key now on 6.5, will it be good till QT goes to 7?

Correct.

AppleMatt

iDave
Dec 21, 2003, 01:44 AM
I've had nothing but trouble since installing the QT 6.5 update on 10.3.2. Apple apps like Mail, Address Book, Disk Utility, Safari, iCal all refuse to run or quit after they've been running for a minute or two. What a mess. Zapping pram, repairing permissions, fsck have no effect. I guess I'm going to have to reformat.

encro
Dec 21, 2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by iDave
I've had nothing but trouble since installing the QT 6.5 update on 10.3.2. Apple apps like Mail, Address Book, Disk Utility, Safari, iCal all refuse to run or quit after they've been running for a minute or two. What a mess. Zapping pram, repairing permissions, fsck have no effect. I guess I'm going to have to reformat.

It sounds more like your system was ****ed rather than the QuickTime update altering things.

iDave
Dec 21, 2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by iDave
I've had nothing but trouble since installing the QT 6.5 update on 10.3.2. Apple apps like Mail, Address Book, Disk Utility, Safari, iCal all refuse to run or quit after they've been running for a minute or two. What a mess. Zapping pram, repairing permissions, fsck have no effect. I guess I'm going to have to reformat.
Could be just a total coincidence that immediately after installing iTunes 4.2 and then QuickTime 6.5 I can't get any of the Apple apps to run. All other apps run fine.

scarer
Dec 29, 2003, 04:51 AM
I had been using 6.3 quite happily but decided to try this upgrade, i didn't upgrade to 6.4 because of the java support thing.....anyway now I have lost my 5.1 digital feed via VLC using M-Audio Sonica. I have tried the uninstaller from 6.4 to 6.3 but it doesn't work. I have tried to uninstall completely by using the "custom" feature of the installer but there IS no custom option in the 6.5 installer. Any suggestions? :(