Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
America Online and Apple announced that AOL members can now preview, purchase and download songs available on AOL Music by using integrated iTunes buttons. This feature was previously announced but only available as of today.

AOL members may use their AOL Wallet or their credit-card on file to purchase songs from iTunes. In addition, songs from AOL's music programs Sessions@AOL and BroadBand Rocks may now be purchased exclusively from the iTunes Music Store.

Apple's website reflects the news.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Well I'm not an AOL user but Apple sure is getting the iTunes store into every nook and cranny.

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
iTunes version 4.2

the download page now lists iTunes as version 4.2.. i wonder if the update is just AOL related, or if there are other enhancements....

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
This truly is that time of year. Domination is inevitable :evil grin:

we need more freaken smilies here captin.

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Holy sh*t this is 4.2 I just download it.....MacRumors is slippen. Go get it NOW. Instilation went with out a hitch. This is whats new.

iTunes 4.2 allows you to sign in and buy music from the iTunes Music Store using either your AOL or Apple Account, lets you view the iTunes Music Store in a separate window, and includes a number of performance improvements.

Using iTunes 4.1 or later you can:

•
Use iTunes on Windows 2000 and Windows XP computers. You can also share music between Macintosh and Windows computers.

•
Sync On-The-Go playlists or voice notes that you create on your iPod with iTunes

•
Burn large playlists to multiple CDs or DVDs; when your playlist is too large to fit on one CD or DVD, iTunes asks you to insert another disc

•
Drag a webpage from the iTunes Music Store to a document or email

•
Buy Audible spoken word content from the iTunes Music Store using your Apple Account.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Yep...

iTunes 4.2 allows you to sign in and buy music from the iTunes Music Store using either your AOL or Apple Account, view the iTunes Music Store in a separate window, and includes a number of performance improvements

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Not as good as it's made out to be...

Everyone seems to be happy about this...

In my hometown, I have not seen any new users of AOL for some time. In fact, my grandma, three of my aunts, about ten of my friends, and about fifteen other people I know of have cancelled their AOL accounts because of bad connections, better features elsewhere, and bad broadband access. PC or Mac.

Don't get me wrong — AOL still has a large customer base (in fact, the largest for any Internet provider). I just don't think things will stay this way two or three years from now. AOL is running out of steam... :rolleyes:

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Re: iTunes version 4.2

Originally posted by confirmed
the download page now lists iTunes as version 4.2.. i wonder if the update is just AOL related, or if there are other enhancements....

Thanks Confirmed :D for confirming it for us :D :D :p

I'm as happy as a school girl...tee hee

Macco

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
With AOL's dismal support for the Mac platform (the PC version has about twice as many features), I hope that Apple was at least able to demand a more functional version of the AOL software in return for this promotion.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Originally posted by Gymnut
Well I'm not an AOL user but Apple sure is getting the iTunes store into every nook and cranny.

I think Apple is finallly tired of being "muscled out of markets they create", as one reviewer put it. A quick think comes up with Personal Computers, PDAs and, of course, legal music downloads. For some reason, I recall something about the first digital camera...

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
am I the only one that thinks that the quality of the yellow running man AOL logo with the iPod is really lacking in quality...

feel shabby, and I can't believe SJ approved this...

Attachments

• itmsaolgraphic12182003.gif
    itmsaolgraphic12182003.gif
    10 KB · Views: 582

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
AOL is here to stay

If being a poor product meant failure in the market, Windows wouldn't be around still. People will continue to lap up AOL, and stay with it so as to keep their email address. AOL CDs will flood out of the landfills and bury us all.

A good move for Apple anyway.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
This is great stuff. I hate AOL. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But they're advertising their new broadband service out the wazoo, they've got a MASSIVE subscriber base, and getting the iTMS on AOL is a great, great thing.

It's this kind of constant, relentless push--iTMS, iTMS Windows, well-placed ads, radio plugs, Best of the Year lists, AOL, Pepsi, then ???--that makes you relevant in a market, something Apple has failed to do for very long up until this point. So far, they're doing great, and this is just one more important step.

Here's hoping that two years from now, when you say "buy music online" the average person thinks "iTunes Music Store". Could happen!

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by iChan
am I the only one that thinks that the quality of the yellow running man AOL logo with the iPod is really lacking in quality...

feel shabby, and I can't believe SJ approved this...

The AOL yellow running guy has always been lacking in quality. I don't think that this version is any different, in my opinion.

Although I am not an AOL user, or have ever been, I think that apple doing the right thing, I just wonder who approached who.

Iroganai

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2003
Um,

Could someone please tellme a URL where we can see the iTMS buttons on AOL music?

Thanks in advance ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.