PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Music Store Now Available for AOL Users

MacRumors
Dec 18, 2003, 12:23 PM
America Online and Apple announced (http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20031218005423&newsLang=en) that AOL members can now preview, purchase and download songs available on AOL Music by using integrated iTunes buttons. This feature was previously announced (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/10/20031016150401.shtml) but only available as of today.

AOL members may use their AOL Wallet or their credit-card on file to purchase songs from iTunes. In addition, songs from AOL's music programs Sessions@AOL and BroadBand Rocks may now be purchased exclusively from the iTunes Music Store.

Apple's website (http://www.apple.com) reflects the news.

Phobophobia
Dec 18, 2003, 12:25 PM
Lots of brand recognition

Gymnut
Dec 18, 2003, 12:33 PM
Well I'm not an AOL user but Apple sure is getting the iTunes store into every nook and cranny.

confirmed
Dec 18, 2003, 12:38 PM
the download page now lists iTunes as version 4.2.. i wonder if the update is just AOL related, or if there are other enhancements....

Mr.Hey
Dec 18, 2003, 12:38 PM
This truly is that time of year. Domination is inevitable :evil grin:

we need more freaken smilies here captin.

TomSmithMacEd
Dec 18, 2003, 12:41 PM
Go apple go!

Mr.Hey
Dec 18, 2003, 12:42 PM
Holy ***** this is 4.2 I just download it.....MacRumors is slippen. Go get it NOW. Instilation went with out a hitch. This is whats new.

iTunes 4.2 allows you to sign in and buy music from the iTunes Music Store using either your AOL or Apple Account, lets you view the iTunes Music Store in a separate window, and includes a number of performance improvements.

Using iTunes 4.1 or later you can:

Use iTunes on Windows 2000 and Windows XP computers. You can also share music between Macintosh and Windows computers.

Sync On-The-Go playlists or voice notes that you create on your iPod with iTunes

Burn large playlists to multiple CDs or DVDs; when your playlist is too large to fit on one CD or DVD, iTunes asks you to insert another disc

Drag a webpage from the iTunes Music Store to a document or email

Buy Audible spoken word content from the iTunes Music Store using your Apple Account.

arn
Dec 18, 2003, 12:48 PM
Yep...

iTunes 4.2 allows you to sign in and buy music from the iTunes Music Store using either your AOL or Apple Account, view the iTunes Music Store in a separate window, and includes a number of performance improvements

geerlingguy
Dec 18, 2003, 12:49 PM
Everyone seems to be happy about this...

In my hometown, I have not seen any new users of AOL for some time. In fact, my grandma, three of my aunts, about ten of my friends, and about fifteen other people I know of have cancelled their AOL accounts because of bad connections, better features elsewhere, and bad broadband access. PC or Mac.

Don't get me wrong AOL still has a large customer base (in fact, the largest for any Internet provider). I just don't think things will stay this way two or three years from now. AOL is running out of steam... :rolleyes:

Mr.Hey
Dec 18, 2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by confirmed
the download page now lists iTunes as version 4.2.. i wonder if the update is just AOL related, or if there are other enhancements....

Thanks Confirmed :D for confirming it for us :D :D :p

I'm as happy as a school girl...tee hee

Macco
Dec 18, 2003, 12:51 PM
With AOL's dismal support for the Mac platform (the PC version has about twice as many features), I hope that Apple was at least able to demand a more functional version of the AOL software in return for this promotion.

e2chris
Dec 18, 2003, 12:52 PM
My god they releasing 10.4 today to?

arn
Dec 18, 2003, 12:53 PM
created a new thread for itunes 4.2

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=51902

mainstreetmark
Dec 18, 2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Gymnut
Well I'm not an AOL user but Apple sure is getting the iTunes store into every nook and cranny.

I think Apple is finallly tired of being "muscled out of markets they create", as one reviewer put it. A quick think comes up with Personal Computers, PDAs and, of course, legal music downloads. For some reason, I recall something about the first digital camera...

iChan
Dec 18, 2003, 01:47 PM
am I the only one that thinks that the quality of the yellow running man AOL logo with the iPod is really lacking in quality...

feel shabby, and I can't believe SJ approved this...

nagromme
Dec 18, 2003, 02:20 PM
If being a poor product meant failure in the market, Windows wouldn't be around still. People will continue to lap up AOL, and stay with it so as to keep their email address. AOL CDs will flood out of the landfills and bury us all.

A good move for Apple anyway.

Makosuke
Dec 18, 2003, 02:29 PM
This is great stuff. I hate AOL. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But they're advertising their new broadband service out the wazoo, they've got a MASSIVE subscriber base, and getting the iTMS on AOL is a great, great thing.

It's this kind of constant, relentless push--iTMS, iTMS Windows, well-placed ads, radio plugs, Best of the Year lists, AOL, Pepsi, then ???--that makes you relevant in a market, something Apple has failed to do for very long up until this point. So far, they're doing great, and this is just one more important step.

Here's hoping that two years from now, when you say "buy music online" the average person thinks "iTunes Music Store". Could happen!

zim
Dec 18, 2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by iChan
am I the only one that thinks that the quality of the yellow running man AOL logo with the iPod is really lacking in quality...

feel shabby, and I can't believe SJ approved this...

The AOL yellow running guy has always been lacking in quality. I don't think that this version is any different, in my opinion.

Although I am not an AOL user, or have ever been, I think that apple doing the right thing, I just wonder who approached who.

Iroganai
Dec 18, 2003, 07:38 PM
Could someone please tellme a URL where we can see the iTMS buttons on AOL music?

Thanks in advance ;)

visor
Dec 19, 2003, 01:35 PM
if international AOL users can use the iTMS now, too?
anyone give it a try?