i dont need a quad card i just want an cpu upgrade

i have a g4 450 with 40 gig hd and 640 mrgs of ram
i do 3-d and lots of after effects
(all memory and processor hogs)
i want the upgrade processor to improve rendeering

[Edited by plastik02 on 11-02-2001 at 10:08 PM]

mymemory
Oct 26, 2001, 05:58 PM
I got the same computer, just add some ram to it. You can find sales of 1.5G for only $175. That is gonna give you lots of speed. To buy a processor is too expensive, at list $500 (or more). Get the ram, unless you are doing serious 3D rendering. In that case you got the wrong computer, get a Intergraph or something like that.

The 400Mhz are the best. I can work with audio (heavy things, lots of tracks), doing web sites and graphic design for printing, etc. I got 320MB in ram and I'm goin for the 1.5G.

Do not fall in to the MHz mith, get ram now that is cheap. Later, upgrade your computer to a G5 or something like that if you want. But 800Mhz is not worth it yet for your situation (dependig of how much ram you got). That is my advice.

[Edited by mymemory on 10-26-2001 at 07:00 PM]

oldMac
Oct 27, 2001, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately, you can't upgrade that processor without ponying up some serious cash. (For example, you could upgrade to a dual 500Mhz G4 for about $950 from http://www.xlr8.com.)

I'd recommend waiting until January. We should see a bump in G4 speeds by then. That should make some of the 733 - 800Mhz processors available to the upgrade makers. It's rather unfortunate that we're not seeing more multi-processor options from Apple these days. I suspected that we'd see a quad card by now.

I'm guessing late spring / early summer for the G5 machines? It's my understanding that we should see some serious performance improvements from the G5, but gosh that seems like an awful time to wait.

Here's to hoping that the PowerPC situation improves in the near future.

[Edited by oldMac on 10-27-2001 at 09:14 PM]

jefhatfield
Oct 27, 2001, 10:44 PM
i would love a quad card, but even if it were reasonable, who in great enough numbers for apple to produce it would go out and buy a quad card?

oldMac
Oct 28, 2001, 03:46 PM
Anybody who does video production, video compression, rendering, simulation or scientific work would quickly kill for a quad-card.

I know quite a few graphic artist folks who have never found a machine powerful enough for what they do. Their job consistently requires them to set up "overnight" jobs and to switch between tasks while their jobs are "processing" on an extra machine.

Actually, even disregarding the application server market, there are quite a few verticals that would be more interested in Macs if they had better multiprocessor capability. Instead, they're out there buying $50K Sun boxes and $100K video production workstations.

jefhatfield
Oct 30, 2001, 07:16 AM
i know there is a use for a quad card since i used to work for autodesk, maker of autocad

but do you think all the quad card users in the world could justify apple going through the expense of designing it, testing it, introducing it, and advertising it?

i don't think a quad card would be anymore justifiable than a 42 inch plasma monitor for eight thousand dollars like the toshiba flat panel i saw a few months ago

but, i have to admit, a quad card or 42 inch apple flat panel would be very cool...i go down the street and gawk at an art gallery's huge plasma monitor and they think i am looking at the art slideshow but in reality, i am looking at the plasma screen and wishing i could have one of those flat panels for my home

i did also hear about a 60 or 70 inch flat panel for fifteen thousand bucks...could you picture that with your G4...the apple logo on that thing would be the size of a baseball and it would take two linebackers to install it into your house or apartment

oldMac
Oct 30, 2001, 09:50 AM
That's always the question, isn't it?

I think the market for the quad card is alive and well. With every major release, they buy the fastest Apple has available and, quite frankly, they don't look at the price. Because they know that a machine that's twice as fast can save them upwards of 10 to 20 man-hours a week.

So long as it's less than $10K, they won't blink an eye. Properly configured and marketed, they would easily pay twice that.

Now, I'm not saying this market is *huge*, but it definitely exists, and you could probably price the machines accordingly.