PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 4.2 Released

MacRumors
Dec 18, 2003, 12:52 PM
Apple has quietly released iTunes 4.2 (http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/).

iTunes 4.2 allows you to sign in and buy music from the iTunes Music Store using either your AOL or Apple Account, view the iTunes Music Store in a separate window, and includes a number of performance improvements

instantypo
Dec 18, 2003, 12:55 PM
mmm...great !

macMaestro
Cool.

This better not take away music sharing. I think I'll wait to download it just in case. :)

JohnGillilan
Is iTunes 4.2 posted on Software Update?? If I download it from Apple.com as a new application, I'm worried I'll have to deal with re-building my library.

arn
Dec 18, 2003, 12:56 PM
double clicking on the Music Store now opens a new window

Stike
UPDATE SPREE!

arn
Originally posted by JohnGillilan
Is iTunes 4.2 posted on Software Update?? If I download it from Apple.com as a new application, I'm worried I'll have to deal with re-building my library.

I installed from standalone and my library is still there.

arn

geerlingguy
Dec 18, 2003, 12:58 PM
What kind of "performance updates"?

AmigoMac
Dec 18, 2003, 01:00 PM
What the....? OK, fine... but 5 updates already? :) ... god I want to do something else.... :D :D

kothrush
Dec 18, 2003, 01:01 PM
5 and Counting !

JohnGillilan
Dec 18, 2003, 01:01 PM
They added "iTunes Hot Tips" to the iTunes application menu, which links to the following site:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/hottips/

Mr.Hey
Dec 18, 2003, 01:02 PM
Accessing the music store is instantaneous. Much improved and QuickTime also has some snappiness to it. I'm an a B&W 350mhz 512mb ram 10.3.2 :)

ckwm
Dec 18, 2003, 01:02 PM
Still 4.11 on the UK site. Music Store updates are irrelevant to us anyway:(

pb1212580
Dec 18, 2003, 01:03 PM
I couldn't see it in Software Update. running 10.3.2 and had iTunes 4.1.

I just downloaded off Apple.

That's strange. How does it know that I don't use AOL or does it?!

Music library is still there, no rebuilding.
We'll see how it syncs with iPod.

gandalf55
Dec 18, 2003, 01:04 PM
quicktime 6.5 is out too - software update

Mr.Hey
Dec 18, 2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by ckwm

Can't you get it from the US site?.....if so stop your crying and go get it :)

Gymnut
Dec 18, 2003, 01:05 PM
How is an update released "quietly"? This update released with the normal hoopla and confetti that the usual updates receive? :D

Dippo
Dec 18, 2003, 01:07 PM
My iTunes still says that it is up to date at 4.1.1

Is this a Mac only update or something?

I guess I will goto Apple's site and try to download it from there

EDIT: I downloaded the update from itunes.com, and it updated to windows iTunes to 4.2

JohnGillilan
Dec 18, 2003, 01:09 PM
This seems like an interesting new feature:

AmigoMac
Dec 18, 2003, 01:13 PM
Whatever they do in cupertino, but is getting faster very second, the GUI is snappy and my iApps are smoother... is just me? but iPhoto feels better now...;)

Stella
Dec 18, 2003, 01:17 PM
Music Store improvements in iTunes irrelevent to the UK because they can't buy anything (like most countries).

iPhoto:
I hope Apple significantly improve this. I like it, but its slooow and I want sub albums.

Originally posted by Mr.Hey
Can't you get it from the US site?.....if so stop your crying and go get it :)

Jackk
Dec 18, 2003, 01:20 PM
Windows version is 4.2.072. It also updated Quicktime to 6.5. Apple seems to be little ahead of time, quicktime's copyright says: 1992-2004 :p

Window resize is much smoother in iTunes now. Music store does not open in a new window.

Dippo
Dec 18, 2003, 01:23 PM
Music store only opens in new window when it is double clicked.

Also, they finally fixed the maximize problem. Now it behaves like a windows application and not a Mac app. Good for windows users. Of course I was kinda getting used to it

Dippo
Dec 18, 2003, 01:28 PM
There are now seperate account selections in the Authorize window.

There is one for a Mac ID and one for an AOL Screen Name

AmigoMac
Dec 18, 2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Jackk
Windows version is 4.2.072. It also updated Quicktime to 6.5. Apple seems to be little ahead of time, quicktime's copyright says: 1992-2004 :p

and now the google ads tell me about the machine I'll buy in 2 years ? :D

iChan
Dec 18, 2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by ckwm

the music store is a fantastic place to discover new music... that is mainly what i use it for, until I actually get to download the stuff...

iChan
Dec 18, 2003, 01:38 PM
this update is still unavailable to irish users...

nebben123
Dec 18, 2003, 01:45 PM
Can you "maximize" the Mac iTunes version yet? No matter what Mac I try it on, I can't get the iTunes window to go all the way to the right edge of the screen (if the left is flush). Seems like there's this mysterious buffer of about 30px that it won't let you go all the way to the edge.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? It happens on my iBook and Powerbook... so it's not a hard-coded limitation, but is relative to what size display you are using.

This is very annoying! Not to mention also how there is another 20px or so grey area between the scroll bar and the edge of the window. What is Apple thinking? I want to be able to maximize my window like I do in Safari, so I can blindly flick the mouse to the right side of the screen and hit the scroll bar. UGH.

Ben

k.double
Dec 18, 2003, 01:48 PM
the update for windows is excellent. now itunes 4.2 displays a system bar icon which can be right clicked, offering the same features of the mac to windows users. i can switch songs, toggle repeat and shuffle, the same as right clicking the taskbar icon in osx. the maximize button now functions properly as previously stated, by stretching the display to fullscreen. now the only way to access the 'mini-player' is by hitting control-m or selecting the option under the advanced tab.

nice new updates for my powerbook and windoze box. thanks apple.

iChan
Dec 18, 2003, 01:57 PM
i wonder what kind of improvments another update to iPhoto will bring... after 10.3.2... iPhoto is perfoming like a champ...

ddbean
Dec 18, 2003, 02:05 PM
When I use Check for update on my win2k box at work it says v4.1.1 is the latest version. Guess I'll d/l from apple site manually.

ddbean
Dec 18, 2003, 02:12 PM
Found in Win2k iTunes intaller...

Important: After installing iTunes 4.2 for Windows, you'll only be able to transfer music to your iPod using iTunes. To transfer music from MusicMatch Jukebox or Audible Manager to your iPod, you'll need to first import the music into iTunes. For more information, search iTunes and Music Store Help.

Is this new?

displaced
Dec 18, 2003, 02:18 PM
Update's gone fine on OS X, and I've just found that the new version shows up in the Check For Updates option in iTunes for Windows.

Lots of updates over the past 24hrs, all ran perfectly (iMac G3/500)

wordmunger
Dec 18, 2003, 02:20 PM
Rightsholders have the option of choosing the next year for copyright beginning on July 1 of each year. Most new books in the bookstore now are copyright 2004.

greenstork
Dec 18, 2003, 02:31 PM
Can anyone confirm if the update affects all installed versions of iTunes. The reason that I ask is because I keep two versions of iTunes, 4.1.1 and 4.0. I still stream music to and from my work computer on iTunes 4.0 so I don't want to lose that ability.

I am concerned that the update might seek out all versions of iTunes on the computer and update them. Does anyone else who has updated already run more than one version of iTunes?

I can always burn it to a CD but I thought I'd ask.

jettredmont
Dec 18, 2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Jackk

Window resize is much smoother in iTunes now. Music store does not open in a new window.

You have discovered the secret to Apple's success. Some companies outsource development to India or China; Apple outsources development to "next year".

Look for the amazing iTimeTravel app to be added to iLife in January!

Dippo
Dec 18, 2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by jettredmont
You have discovered the secret to Apple's success. Some companies outsource development to India or China; Apple outsources development to "next year".

Look for the amazing iTimeTravel app to be added to iLife in January!

Of course iTimeTravel will be developed in 2005 and release Jan 2004. The app would expalin a lot about Apple.

kherdin
Dec 18, 2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by nebben123 This is very annoying! Not to mention also how there is another 20px or so grey area between the scroll bar and the edge of the window. What is Apple thinking? I want to be able to maximize my window like I do in Safari, so I can blindly flick the mouse to the right side of the screen and hit the scroll bar. UGH.

Actually, the grey bar past the scrollbar is very useful. It is no doubt from the OS 9 days, a great feature where you can drag a window from any edge of it, instead of the top bar, like in Windows, and many parts of Mac OS X. You can click on that bar, and drag the window using that to get a hold, instead of going to the titlebar of the window to do it, very useful. A shame this functionality is missing in most other OS X apps, well atleast its there in Panther's brushed metal finder.

ddbean
Dec 18, 2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by greenstork
Can anyone confirm if the update affects all installed versions of iTunes. The reason that I ask is because I keep two versions of iTunes, 4.1.1 and 4.0. I still stream music to and from my work computer on iTunes 4.0 so I don't want to lose that ability.

I am concerned that the update might seek out all versions of iTunes on the computer and update them. Does anyone else who has updated already run more than one version of iTunes?

I can always burn it to a CD but I thought I'd ask.

I'd guess YES, this installed will wipe out all your old versions. It did delete all my shortcuts in task bar and desktop on win2k using itunes 4.1.1 version.

And yes you can open iTunes music store in seperate window, just by double-clicking on name in playlist area.

And for PC version you can now scale to full screen (middle button in title bar), and now have to use new pull-down menu (or Ctrl+M) under Advanced to go micro-player version, which is what I prefer while listening to radio streams.

DarkPhoenixCA
Dec 18, 2003, 02:59 PM
Is it me, or is the Grouping field new in 4.2? And if I missed it in 4.1, what is its intent?

Under the "Get Info..." option.

~Shard~
Dec 18, 2003, 03:07 PM
One again, Apple's just pumping out the updates - great to see! This is a great warm-up for MWSF. I can't wait to see what else will be released in the next month. :cool:

MongoTheGeek
Dec 18, 2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by wordmunger
Rightsholders have the option of choosing the next year for copyright beginning on July 1 of each year. Most new books in the bookstore now are copyright 2004.

not like it matters since they keep extending the expiration on the copyright every 5 or 10 years for another 10-15 years.

It'll be the year 2525 before any of this is in the public domain.

pb1212580
Dec 18, 2003, 03:22 PM
Obviously no one read my post. I installed (mac, 10.3.2) iTunes 4.2 (d/l from apple website) over iTunes 4.1.(1?)

Library is still there. nothing changed... :) All goood!

Originally posted by ddbean
I'd guess YES, this installed will wipe out all your old versions. It did delete all my shortcuts in task bar and desktop on win2k using itunes 4.1.1 version.

And yes you can open iTunes music store in seperate window, just by double-clicking on name in playlist area.

And for PC version you can now scale to full screen (middle button in title bar), and now have to use new pull-down menu (or Ctrl+M) under Advanced to go micro-player version, which is what I prefer while listening to radio streams.

lunarworks
Dec 18, 2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by k.double
the maximize button now functions properly as previously stated, by stretching the display to fullscreen. now the only way to access the 'mini-player' is by hitting control-m or selecting the option under the advanced tab.

That is SO annoying.

I rarely ever maximise programs, so I liked having the mini-mode button there...

nebben123
Dec 18, 2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by kherdin
Actually, the grey bar past the scrollbar is very useful. It is no doubt from the OS 9 days, a great feature where you can drag a window from any edge of it, instead of the top bar, like in Windows, and many parts of Mac OS X. You can click on that bar, and drag the window using that to get a hold, instead of going to the titlebar of the window to do it, very useful. A shame this functionality is missing in most other OS X apps, well atleast its there in Panther's brushed metal finder.

It *kinda* makes sense for windows that you aren't likely to have full-screen and will move around a lot, like in the Finder. Even so, you can still move the window around using the bottom edge or the top edge.

I don't know about you, but I scroll my windows a lot more than I move them around the screen. Thus, Apple should get rid of that wasteful grey area to the right of the scroll bar. I hate having to perfectly target the scroll area everytime I want to use it. It makes more sense for the scroll bar to be at the extreme right edge of the screen so you can just "flick" to it.

Am I the only person who wants to maximize their iTunes window? I have over 12,000 songs in my library, and a lot of fields I want to be able to see at once. Why can't this stupid thing be maximized on the Mac?

kidA
Dec 18, 2003, 03:51 PM
i liked having the mini-mode available with the min/max button in the win version. i rarely maximize stuff, so i never use it now.

the GUI still feels a little sluggish here, but it does open a lot faster now. i'm running a sort of old machine, but it opens really snappy now and there are no hiccups while playing. a good update.

ariza910
Dec 18, 2003, 03:58 PM
Its not just for the music store, You can double click on any play list to bring it up in a new window.

I have multiple play list open on multiple windows, this is great.

now if they could only incorperate tabs.

jacobweber
Dec 18, 2003, 04:05 PM
> Is it me, or is the Grouping field new in 4.2?
> And if I missed it in 4.1, what is its intent?

Good find....I can't find anything in the documentation about this, but I'm pretty sure it's new in 4.2. You can also show the Grouping column in the library.

One use that I can think of is for multi-track compositions, as in classical music. Right now I have to name the tracks something like "Symphony No. 2 - Allegro", but this way I could put "Symphony No. 2" into the Grouping field and just leave the title "Allegro." This is just an idea, though; I don't know if it's the intended use.

(If that's what it's for, it would be nice if this field got displayed on the iPod, before or after the title. In fact, I made a suggestion a while back that they do something just like this.)

Jacob

greenstork
Dec 18, 2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks to user allgood2 on Slashdot for this iTunes 4.2 feature update:

My quick review of changes in iTunes 4.2 on Mac OS X (sorry won't have access to a Win2k machine until next week), these are the immediate changes I notice:

Hot Tips
http://www.apple.com/itunes/hottips/
Apple introduced hot tips on creating Smart Playlist, keyboard shortcuts, copy song, artist, and album urls from the iTunes Music Store, etc.

Grouping
Under song details, there is now a new ID3 tag called grouping. I'm not certain if this will allow for subcategories, or can be used for things such as Celebrity Playlist so songs from multiple albums can be grouped. I'll have to play with it. Also added to Smart Playlist queries.

Artwork
Added scaler to artwork, so images can be scaled up or down to fit album space area.

Playlist from Selection
For those who complained about queue-ing songs, I imagine this feature will come in handy, as well as for other purposes as well. Allows you to Command-Select (Click) on random songs in your library then create a playlist from them, immediately.

Music Store in New Window
Double-clicking will launch the music store in a new window (yeah).

iTMS: Music Essentials
Like Celebrity playlist, but collections of "iTunes Essential" music in categories I wouldn't have imagined, including Disco Ball Essentials and Coctail Party Kitsch--yet more ways to spend even more money.

iTMS: AOL Sessions
Added more music "exclusives" basically various performances by artist for AOL can now be purchased.

iTMS: AOL Users
Tons of direct access stuff for AOL users. Which, if they can do this for AOL, maybe they could do it for other venues, like artist who do live concert releases.

iTMS: Artist Self-Released Albums (Return of the EP)
This was there before, but some artist like Pearl Jam who are self published are and can now release stuff directly to the iTMS. I also noticed John Mayer's "As Is" is not attributed to Sony or any music label (which may indicate that it was also self-published). Ben Folds have also been doing a number of quick EPs, but they are all still published attributed to EPIC. It will be interesting to see if more artist start releasing EPs with 4-5 songs exclusively for iTMS or other music stores, and then have regular albums published every 1-2yrs.
These were the things I noticed immediately. Now I need to go and play and see what else comes up.

MacSlut
Dec 18, 2003, 04:13 PM
Anyone else notice the new graphic promo for the 100 million free songs by Pepsi? I guess it's confirmed for Feb 1!!!

you
Dec 18, 2003, 04:16 PM
also in windows when the screen saver comes on the music will keep playing when you wake it up and get to the login screen. Before it just stopped.

walexx
Dec 18, 2003, 04:56 PM
This is awesome. I was recently in Hawaii and opened an AOL account with 45days free access, but now that ITMS lets you use your AOL username to access it, I can now download music using my AOL details, eventhough I am in Australia :).

Thanks Apple and AOL. Now, If the Asia Pacific greed record labels got there shi*t together I wouldnt have to use a loophole to access the ITMS, and would do it legitimately as an Aussie user.

Well, the greedy record companies only have themeselves to blame that people like me have to restort to these measures to access the ITMS.

Chappers
Dec 18, 2003, 05:11 PM
iPhoto - waiting
iTunes - waiting
Sherlock - waiting
Apple store - waiting

Maybe they'll be like buses - if I wait long enough, they'll all turn up together!

walexx
Dec 18, 2003, 05:15 PM
Gee, all this stuff before MSWF. What is left a part form faster G5's ??.

Hmmm, me thinks MWSF is gonna be a cracka with some really cool suprises :).

God i love Apple !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr.Hey
Dec 18, 2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by iChan
i wonder what kind of improvments another update to iPhoto will bring... after 10.3.2... iPhoto is perfoming like a champ...

good to hear.

Makosuke
Dec 18, 2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by MacSlut
Anyone else notice the new graphic promo for the 100 million free songs by Pepsi? I guess it's confirmed for Feb 1!!! There's been a graphic on Apple's site since they first announced it that said "Feb 1", so this isn't new at all.

As for 4.2, the multiple window thing is the single feature I've been wanting to see in iTunes. It now does absolutely everything I want it to, and even if it never got updated again I'd still be happy.

The grouping, if it works to combine multitrack songs, will be a welcome feature for some, too.

rjwill246
Dec 18, 2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by walexx
This is awesome. I was recently in Hawaii and opened an AOL account with 45days free access, but now that ITMS lets you use your AOL username to access it, I can now download music using my AOL details, eventhough I am in Australia :).

Thanks Apple and AOL. Now, If the Asia Pacific greed record labels got there shi*t together I wouldnt have to use a loophole to access the ITMS, and would do it legitimately as an Aussie user.

Until Apple and the record companies read this and "fix" the loophole. It might have been better to say nothing!

Mr.Hey
Dec 18, 2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Chappers
iPhoto - waiting
iTunes - waiting
Sherlock - waiting
Apple store - waiting

Maybe they'll be like buses - if I wait long enough, they'll all turn up together!

Always run these after an OS updates or after heavy app updates. In the terminal one command at a time... do daily then weekly etc. At the end of prebinding restart your computer.

cron scripts

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

repair permissions with terminal

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

Updating the Prebinding

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

walexx
Dec 18, 2003, 06:20 PM
rjwill246 I DELIBERATELY said it because I am soo sick of having to wait for the ITMS. Its crazy that there are other music download compaines starting up in Austrlia, and yet the ITMS isnt one of them.

The record compaines are greedy f**kwits and if I have to resort to these measures to use a system, well, then its not my fault.

I can easily download anything I want for free if I chose to, but I wanna pay and do the right thing. If they cant give Apple the facility to provide me that service when I am perpared to pay for it, then screw em, Ill take my money elsewhere and use the loophole that currently exists.

If I lose my access to the ITMS so be it, but until then, screw em, cause they have screwed me and everyone else worldwide who wants to use the ITMS for way too long !!.

rdowns
Dec 18, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by gandalf55
quicktime 6.5 is out too - software update

A new Java (1.4.1) is in my software update. QT is there, iTunes is not.

Santaduck
Dec 18, 2003, 06:57 PM
confirmed... it's dec 18 and I don't see iTunes 4.2 in my software update, nor at apple's download area.

However, Apple's Discussion Forum Area for iTunes still lists a title in the forum area: "iTunes 4.2 for macintosh":
http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@95.YUe7aOArocr.1@.eeac121
Clicking on the link on this page leads to the normal download area for iTunes. I haven't downloaded it to see what version it is yet, but I assume it's not 4.2... although in one forum post ( http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@150.XUu9aOm1oQX.0@.599df49e ) some users claim that they have received 4.2 via the itunes direct download page, which is not labelled by version number, even though 4.2 is not listed in the downloads area.

Looking in the discussion area, there are some threads regarding problems with 4.2.
For example at http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@150.XUu9aOm1oQX.0@.599df8db

a user writes:
I've got a dual G5 running Panther. I recently got 10.3.2, and tend to keep up on updates.
This morning, with QuickTime 6.4 and iTunes 4.1, everything was working just fine.

After installing QuickTime 6.5 and Xcode 1.1 (which I'm pretty sure is NOT to blame) via Software Update, and downloading and installing iTunes 4.2 thereafter... I can't get iTunes or iChat to launch, nor can I get the Force Quit window to come up, nor can I get logout to come up.

I'm not sure whether any of these problems arose before I downloaded iTunes 4.2, so I'm not sure whether it's QuickTime''s fault, or iTunes's fault. I ran Verify Disk Permissions, which mostly came up with some incorrect permissions for add-on iChat icons, so I'm repairing those, but I don't see what that would have to do with iTunes.

Other iLife apps (iPhoto, iMovie) and other apps in general (Safari, Terminal) still work just fine, and I haven't seen anyone mention these problems, so I'm curious...

greenstork
Dec 18, 2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Hey
Always run these after an OS updates or after heavy app updates. In the terminal one command at a time... do daily then weekly etc. At the end of prebinding restart your computer.

cron scripts

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

repair permissions with terminal

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

Updating the Prebinding

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

Yeah and if you don't like using command line interface, you can just download Maintain from Macupdate.com and you can automate all of these terminal scripts to run for you on a periodic basis. I love Maintain, their GUI is finally coming around, and it's free.

~Shard~
Dec 18, 2003, 07:04 PM
You would think that Apple would wait a couple extra weeks for 10.3.2, iTunes 4.2 and the QT updatel, and just release them @ MWSF. Which leads me to believe that perhaps some iApp updates, or who knows what, are going to be announced @ MWSF, which require these updates beforehand, or at least the QT and 10.3.2 updates. Or, maybe Jobs has so many new tricks up his sleeve, he needed to release some updates prior to MWSF to give him enough time to announce everything else on the 6th! :cool:

sethypoo
Dec 18, 2003, 07:37 PM
All these updates.....something is in the water in Cupertino.

:) :D ;) :D :)

Gizmotoy
Dec 18, 2003, 08:57 PM
iTunes 4.2 is now up on Software Update. It just started hopping around the dock a few minutes ago. Installed fine. iTMS in a separate window is definately cool. Good work Apple.

feakbeak
Dec 18, 2003, 10:17 PM
This is likely to happen in work environments due to proxy servers.

When I use Check for update on my win2k box at work it says v4.1.1 is the latest version. Guess I'll d/l from apple site manually.

bousozoku
Dec 18, 2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by sethypoo
All these updates.....something is in the water in Cupertino.

:) :D ;) :D :)

Yearly bonuses...and it's not the water, but the eggnog. ;)

rice_web
Dec 18, 2003, 10:41 PM
I must say that the Mac OS X 10.3.2 and iTunes 4.2 updates have quite seriously screwed up my machine.

For example, I always stream a large portion of my music library from my iMac onto my PowerMac, and vice-versa, depending on which machine I'm on. I can no longer stream music for more than thirty seconds without interruption (of several seconds), where as this occurence would normally come along only once a half hour. I stream my music wirelessly, but nothing changed in my home; it's entirely a software issue. Just as I type this, it has taken two minutes to load a song over the network, something that ordinarily took no time, and was seemless with the cross dissolve. I have noticed similar slow-downs when loading music files from my own hard drive, but not during the play of my music. Overall, iTunes feels much slower than it previously performed, and I'm quite disappointed.

Combined with the 10.3.2 and QuickTime updates, I'm rather inflamed. My sparkling new G5 system is handling both start-up times and general interface elements like my iMac DV, where 10.3.1 worked without flaw. I don't know which piece of software would have done it, but my computer feels very cheap right now.

Even working in Microsoft Word is becomming disappointingly slow.

And no, don't offer the repair permissions or the reinstall procedure, as I shouldn't have to wait more than an hour to fix a problem that took only a few minutes to procure.

fatbarstard
Dec 18, 2003, 11:09 PM
Hmmm lets recap..

10.3.2.... OK
Java Update
Quicktime to 6.5 (version numbers whipping by)
ITunes 4.2 (needs QT 6.5 by the looks of things)

So that's three core OS updates and one application...

Looks like the rumours about an overall ILife update are on the money - but my cash is on new business type applicaitons being announced at MWSF... what else is there??

SeaFox
Dec 18, 2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by wordmunger

Does that mean until July 1st the copyright isn't in effect yet? :D

SeaFox
Dec 18, 2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by rjwill246
Until Apple and the record companies read this and "fix" the loophole. It might have been better to say nothing!

Yes, but he opened the account in Hawaii so the music store is just going off his Hawaiian address listed. If he dicided to stay with AOL he will eventually have to correct the info with the new Austrailian address and it may stop working then.

SeaFox
Dec 18, 2003, 11:27 PM
Found in Win2k iTunes intaller...

Important: After installing iTunes 4.2 for Windows, you'll only be able to transfer music to your iPod using iTunes. To transfer music from MusicMatch Jukebox or Audible Manager to your iPod, you'll need to first import the music into iTunes. For more information, search iTunes and Music Store Help.

Is this new?

No. I remember that from the last time I installed iTunes.

SeaFox
Dec 18, 2003, 11:28 PM
Can anyone tell me if CD playing has improved on the Windows version?

I don't want to wait for the dial-up download if there isn't that much new about it.

simX
Dec 18, 2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by rice_web
I must say that the Mac OS X 10.3.2 and iTunes 4.2 updates have quite seriously screwed up my machine.

For example, I always stream a large portion of my music library from my iMac onto my PowerMac, and vice-versa, depending on which machine I'm on. I can no longer stream music for more than thirty seconds without interruption (of several seconds), where as this occurence would normally come along only once a half hour. I stream my music wirelessly, but nothing changed in my home; it's entirely a software issue. Just as I type this, it has taken two minutes to load a song over the network, something that ordinarily took no time, and was seemless with the cross dissolve. I have noticed similar slow-downs when loading music files from my own hard drive, but not during the play of my music. Overall, iTunes feels much slower than it previously performed, and I'm quite disappointed.

Combined with the 10.3.2 and QuickTime updates, I'm rather inflamed. My sparkling new G5 system is handling both start-up times and general interface elements like my iMac DV, where 10.3.1 worked without flaw. I don't know which piece of software would have done it, but my computer feels very cheap right now.

Even working in Microsoft Word is becomming disappointingly slow.

And no, don't offer the repair permissions or the reinstall procedure, as I shouldn't have to wait more than an hour to fix a problem that took only a few minutes to procure.

If you don't want to take the hour or so to repair permissions or do other potential "lengthy" possible repair procedures, then I don't think you should come complaining to us about your problems. While some of the updates may actually have crippled your machine, I don't think it's unreasonable to try and go through troubleshooting steps to get it fixed. Additionally, you should also (for future reference) note that you can always hold off on an update and browse MacFixIt.com or these forums instead, just to make sure the update doesn't do anything bad.

wordmunger
Dec 19, 2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by SeaFox
Does that mean until July 1st the copyright isn't in effect yet? :D
No, it means you can opt in for an extra year of copyright protection. Publish from Jan 1 to June 30 of 2003 (or any year), and it *must* be copyright 2003. Publish from July 1 to Dec. 31 2003, and you have the option of choosing copyright 2003 or 2004. Usually things like magazines, newspapers, Web sites, etc. will go with 2003, because it looks strange for the October 2003 issue of Macworld to be copyright 2004. But usually books opt for copyright 2004 in that instance, because it gives them an extra year of copyright protection. In fact, it doesn't actually matter what year you choose, because for individuals the copyright term is life of the author plus 70 years. The year of copyright makes no difference. For corporations, it *can* matter, because the corporate copyright is 95 years from publication.

P.S. I probably should have gone to law school. Then by now I could afford a G5 :)

ckwm
Dec 19, 2003, 07:59 AM
iTunes 4.2 has just appeared in my (UK) software update along with a Java update (and I had already downloaded yesterday's).:)

Jetson
Dec 19, 2003, 09:03 AM
I like iTunes 4.2 but I discovered a strange bug.

Some of my album art have been blanked out. A picture is there, but it's nothing but white space. On some of the affected tracks when I attempt to paste in replacement images, iTunes 4.2 only pastes in a blank space.

What the hey?!
:confused:

sketchy
Dec 19, 2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by ariza910
Its not just for the music store, You can double click on any play list to bring it up in a new window.

I have multiple play list open on multiple windows, this is great.

Thats not new

dave

DarkPhoenixCA
Dec 19, 2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by jacobweber
> Is it me, or is the Grouping field new in 4.2?
> And if I missed it in 4.1, what is its intent?

Good find....I can't find anything in the documentation about this, but I'm pretty sure it's new in 4.2. You can also show the Grouping column in the library.

One use that I can think of is for multi-track compositions, as in classical music. Right now I have to name the tracks something like "Symphony No. 2 - Allegro", but this way I could put "Symphony No. 2" into the Grouping field and just leave the title "Allegro." This is just an idea, though; I don't know if it's the intended use.

(If that's what it's for, it would be nice if this field got displayed on the iPod, before or after the title. In fact, I made a suggestion a while back that they do something just like this.)

Jacob

My library consists of club remixes, so I was using the Genre category to name the remixer. Maybe I should use the Grouping category for this now...

rice_web
Dec 19, 2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by simX
If you don't want to take the hour or so to repair permissions or do other potential "lengthy" possible repair procedures, then I don't think you should come complaining to us about your problems. While some of the updates may actually have crippled your machine, I don't think it's unreasonable to try and go through troubleshooting steps to get it fixed. Additionally, you should also (for future reference) note that you can always hold off on an update and browse MacFixIt.com or these forums instead, just to make sure the update doesn't do anything bad.

I've always hated software that cripples itself, as should anyone. That being said, the security update today already fixed my problem.

But, as far as spending some troubleshooting time: I only sit down with my PowerMac a couple hours a day; most of my day is spent at a 17" iMac. So I don't want to spend my e-mail and projects time fixing a machine that should work without problem after installing an update. I deal with troubleshooting all day, and I don't want it to carry into my home, too, whenever possible.

~Shard~
Dec 19, 2003, 10:58 PM
Sorry for the stupid question, but what exactly is the deal with this "repairing permissions" issue? I am new to Macs, and am just wondering if I need to configure something or enable something on my system before I perform these updates.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I gotta learn somehow!

rdowns
Dec 20, 2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by ~Shard~
Sorry for the stupid question, but what exactly is the deal with this "repairing permissions" issue? I am new to Macs, and am just wondering if I need to configure something or enable something on my system before I perform these updates.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I gotta learn somehow!

You do it by launching Disk Utility.

Here's a clip I found for you:

For anyone that has worked with Macs for more than a few years I’m sure you remember the troubleshooting technique of rebuilding the desktop for just about anything “weird” on the computer. Typically it would give you a 50/50 shot at fixing it, as well. There was never really a defined list of weirdnesses that it would fix, but they were all generally disk-related.

In the land of Mac OS X there is no Desktop Database (Launch Services is rather different, but similar). What there is is a myriad of problems that can crop up that are called “weird” and things that generally don’t work and there’s, again, a generic solution that’s starting to ring true: Repair Permissions fixes the weirdest things.

So, a list, because I like lists.

Things Repair Permissions Will Fix

Startup issues of various sorts.

Standard folders outside of a home directory that you should be able to write to and cannot.

Network features that fail to work.

General system features that fail to work or give a “permission denied” error or sorts.

Things Repair Permissions Will Help Fix

Restoring a drive from a backup in such a way that permissions were not copied. It will not recreate hard links, symbolic links, or special files. If your backup has any files in /dev at all then it’s a bad backup and will never boot a system.

Restoring a good backup to a usable state. It will not bless it. Use the command-line tool bless for that.

Things Repair Permissions Will Not Fix

Anything involving software that was not installed with the computer or with an installer other than Apple’s Installer.

Things in home directories.

Things in folders made after installation.

Why?

Repair permissions reads the Bill of Materials in the installation receipts in /Library/Receipts that Apple’s Installer leaves after installing something. This is also why this only works on systems where Mac OS X is installed; no other volume will have these files. Since it uses them as a database of permissions settings rather than keeping them inside the program, it needs the receipt files to repair the permissions. Accordingly, if the files in the Receipts directory are removed then those files will not be repaired.

Grendel
Dec 31, 2003, 09:56 AM
New member, and an audiophile - I love itunes but would it be possible for them to offer 320kps dowloads? I feel that paying for music (as opposed to pilfering it through sites like kazaa) should at least give you the right to select your download quality. The pilfering sites even allow this. With broadband the time/dowload would definitely be feasible - What do you think?

ddbean
Dec 31, 2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Grendel
eNew member,

...would it be possible for them to offer 320kps dowloads?

First, Welcome

Second, a great idea that I've read other people mention. I'd suggest you use Apple's Feedback link inside iTunes (iTunes>Help>Provide iTunes Feedback) to suggest this. The more people who do this direct to Apple, the more likely they will listen. It might mean paying extra per song, but at least you'd have that option.