PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Essentials

MacRumors
Dec 18, 2003, 01:17 PM
Apple has started organizing compilations on the iTunes Music Store. A new feature called "iTunes Essentials" takes advantage of the flexibility of the single-song-sales by creating make-shift compilation albums.

Apple offers 41 'iTunes Essentials' compilations at the moment. A few examples:

iTunes Essentials: Christmas Classics (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=3855480)
iTunes Essentials: One Hit Wonders (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=3856897)
iTunes Essentials: Broadway Hits (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=4185013)
iTunes Essentials: Road Tripping (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=4182009)
iTunes Essentials: Classic Hip-Hop (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=4179870)

JohnGillilan
Dec 18, 2003, 01:22 PM
This seems awfully reminiscent of such classic albums as "Starbucks Essential Christmas" and "NOW That's What I Call Music Volume 13."

Dippo
Dec 18, 2003, 01:31 PM
It would be nice if they gave a discount for buying the entire complication.

iChan
Dec 18, 2003, 01:31 PM
this is cool, it looks apple is really starting to provide kind of a "family store" kind of feel... by that i mean a very close communicative relationship with its customers

iChan
Dec 18, 2003, 01:34 PM
it's freakin' great to see Hanson relegated to to the annals of history as a one hit wonder... yay, good day for all of us...

Gymnut
Dec 18, 2003, 01:35 PM
mmmBop.

JohnGillilan
Dec 18, 2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Dippo
It would be nice if they gave a discount for buying the entire complication.

That might get too complicated.:)

Stelliform
Dec 18, 2003, 01:41 PM
I wonder how the record industry feels about this? They are losing more control with this move from Apple. (I do however like the idea!) I just wonder what the RIAA thinks...

JohnGillilan
Dec 18, 2003, 01:43 PM
Do you suppose Apple is putting together these compilations, or are these artist's labels paying a fee for this extra advertising?

ColoJohnBoy
Dec 18, 2003, 01:45 PM
Yay! I just bought the theme from "To Kill A Mockingbird"!

I don't think the RIAA or the labels will care how Apple sells the songs, puts them together, or whatever, so long as they and the artists get their money.

iChan
Dec 18, 2003, 01:54 PM
these are hugely exciting times for Apple...

Oirectine
Dec 18, 2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by iChan
these are hugely exciting times for Apple...

lol, that made me laugh. Were you joking?

Moonlight
Dec 18, 2003, 02:01 PM
I think they need to offer a discount if you buy the whole record. They also should offer "essentials" on types of music most people don't listen to, like electronic, world music, etc... But still a good idea:)

Phelark
Dec 18, 2003, 02:07 PM
This is what I've been hoping they would do since day one of the store. That combined with the AOL synchronization and the iTMS in a new window (Actually a HUGE improvement), I'm just glad to have stock in Apple.

That and they allowed me to redownload my songs that were lost in a freak hard drive accident. Good times indeed.

jcshas
Dec 18, 2003, 02:09 PM
I really like this idea. Much more interested in this vs. the celebrity playlists. You'd think they would have given a small price break though. Then again I might come close to puting the same playlist together using my own CD's, give or take a song or two.

settledown
Dec 18, 2003, 02:18 PM
does this make apple a record label?

and does it mean that they are REALLY going to have a hard time with the Apple Corp. lawsuit?

nagromme
Dec 18, 2003, 02:23 PM
It's not another way to lead people to music to try, like Also Bought and the celebrity playlists. Why not?

BTW Apple has said they don't take payment from labels to promote music--not even in the banner "ads." Apple decides what to promote. (Of course, popularity is a big factor there, so it's not like Apple's editors are striking out on their own tangent either.)

Sonofhaig
Dec 18, 2003, 02:45 PM
"Make-Out" Essentials! Now that is clever and funny!:D

Sonofhaig
Dec 18, 2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Moonlight
I think they need to offer a discount if you buy the whole record. They also should offer "essentials" on types of music most people don't listen to, like electronic, world music, etc... But still a good idea:)

Give it time big boy. They just made it happen..... I'm sure we'll be seeing stuff like that soon.

k2k koos
Dec 18, 2003, 02:48 PM
iTunes is great i love it, but please apple hurry up, if you want the same market share in Europe as the US, otherwise others will be the first in europe, try to catch up then....
I don't want that to happen, you don't ant that to happen, so lets not have it happen, iTunes, europe, now! not tomorrow!!!!

The wait has been far too long already, I am getting very frustrated here! :( :( :(

Moonlight
Dec 18, 2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Sonofhaig
Give it time big boy. They just made it happen..... I'm sure we'll be seeing stuff like that soon.

Big Boy ?? hahaha;)

lmalave
Dec 18, 2003, 03:00 PM

Yeah, baybeee! Shagadelic.

By the end of that playlist you'll be in like Flynn, knowwhatimsayin' ;)

FlamDrag
Dec 18, 2003, 03:22 PM
Other than the fact that it's one more way for me to find songs to spend 99c on, I love it.

Generally, I like to browse and buy vs. going to the store with a specific list of songs I'd like to get. For shoppers who shop as I shop, this is a good thing.

jayscheuerle
Dec 18, 2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Gymnut
mmmBop.

or

mmmm... Bop.

as Homer Simpson would say.

FlamDrag
Dec 18, 2003, 03:49 PM
OK, how can you have road-trip essentials and leave out Born to be Wild (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=1697881&selectedItemId=1697847) ?

I was expecting to see this thread full of complainers about this, that or the other being left off an "essentials" and I was fully prepared to tell them to get over it. But c'mon...

"Get your motor runnin'...
Head out on the highway...
Looking for adventure...
In whatever comes our way..."

Can you sum up a road trip any better than that? <sigh>

danbirchall
Dec 18, 2003, 03:57 PM
The "Global divas" thing had a lot of names I'd never seen before, and I think Natacha Atlas is going to wind up with some of our money real soon. And... she's on Mantra. Which sure looks like an indie label to me.

Props to Apple for the neat compilations, and major props for including indie artists in them!

jdbunn
Dec 18, 2003, 03:59 PM
Essentials is a great idea, but there is no savings buying the collection. I can listen to the songs in the collection and just buy the songs I like, plus add a few more favorites to burn my own "Essential" CD. Apple could have added a small built-in savings to make Essentials a little more appealling. At 99/song, I'll pass.

zedwards
Dec 18, 2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by FlamDrag
Other than the fact that it's one more way for me to find songs to spend 99c on, I love it.

Generally, I like to browse and buy vs. going to the store with a specific list of songs I'd like to get. For shoppers who shop as I shop, this is a good thing.

BINGO. I was about to shell out some more money while looking around.

stingerman
Dec 18, 2003, 04:05 PM
I wondered when I sent a detailed recommendation to Apple regarding the advantages of this "Essentials" feature if they really read what was posted to them. Whether it was my recommendation or others along with mine that got this feature going, it tells me that Apple really does read what we write them. My other recommendation was to fill in the MP3 ecology gap they have right now as no Flash players support AAC w/DRM. It would be nice to see Apple fill in this gap as well.

SiliconAddict
Dec 18, 2003, 04:13 PM

LOL now there's a sight. A bunch of iTunes employees gathered around a conf table talking about the best music to include in the Make-Out Essentials CD. The question had to be asked. Did anyone get any action on this track? How about this one? Anyone? OK that one is gone. What about this one? :D

QuiteSure
Dec 18, 2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by jcshas
I really like this idea. Much more interested in this vs. the celebrity playlists.

I prefer the celebrity playlists. As a middle aged guy, thanks to the playlists I've discovered many songs I would never have considered because the celebs gave some personal insight into their collections.

While I like the Essentials too, because they're compiled by anonymous Apple personnel, there's less of a "connection" with the music.

brhmac
Dec 18, 2003, 04:46 PM
All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.

Excellent quote. Whenever the preview comes on for the movie, I listen for this sound byte.

Very profound.

:)

sinclairZX81
Dec 18, 2003, 06:48 PM
OMG. There ISN'T an 'iTunes Essentials:Chillout'!! :D

vitaboy
Dec 18, 2003, 07:13 PM
I don't believe these are "albums" per se. It looks more like the staff at iTMS put together a bunch of collections to help people make decisions about what music to buy. Similar to the Celebrity Playlists idea.

I was probably one of many people who requested this feature when iTMS first launched, so it's great because it makes the store feel more like a music magazine than just a store.

Now they just need to have all the Billboard charts up there!

Originally posted by Moonlight

amberashby
Dec 18, 2003, 07:20 PM
Very good idea Apple. I like it. Just wish there were some kind of discount for buying the entire album.

odenshaw
Dec 19, 2003, 12:05 AM
who the hell is in charge of puttin' these things together. Man there is much better music they could have put on those things. For the love of God Apple, I love ya but seriously, come now.

sethypoo
Dec 19, 2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by JohnGillilan
Do you suppose Apple is putting together these compilations, or are these artist's labels paying a fee for this extra advertising?

The range of songs seems way too broad for this; there are small labels, and large ones too.

If the record company's are doing this, wow, they sure know how to cover it up!

kettle
Dec 19, 2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
or

mmmm... Bop.

as Homer Simpson would say.

wasn't there a "skinny" in there and a couple more bop's?

the original one, not homer, he's talent.