Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
7554920080714_0302.png

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/idisk.html

dukishdary

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
yea to me this was one of the most exciting features. if anyone knows anything about this feature or the lack there of in the current rendition of mobileme please post :)

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Is this the one where you can send people a link to download from your site? That was awesome...
that's it

i think the reason why the share button is not there yet is because apple want to stabilise their servers first, after all that mobileme launch snafu and before they let people start sharing gigs of files like crazy:rolleyes:

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
in the video

This is in the VIDEO of mobileme, so I am sure it will be coming back and even easier to use.

one3

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Vancouver-ish
I think by default MobileMe allocates 10GB to iDisk and 10GB to Mail ... just go into your ACCOUNT // STORAGE SETTINGS section of MobileMe to change those settings.

rdjl27

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
This is in the VIDEO of mobileme, so I am sure it will be coming back and even easier to use.

Unfortunately your faith does not serve you.

I spoke to a MobileMe Support Chat person last night to find out that they had scrapped the feature, at least in the current iteration of MobileMe and the product feature page had been edited to reflect that. I was reminded that the TOS Agreement allows them to do what they wish with anything (sounds like more than one Apple product launch to me, with announced features disappearing without a peep).

I then kindly pointed out to her (her name was Kara, but I'm pretty sure that they are all called that because it was the fourth time I had gotten a hold of "Kara") that the MobileMe support page still had instructions on how to use our now killed share button feature, and she told she would make sure to pass it on for removal.

So yeah... That's not very nice. Oh well, maybe our nigh $100 a year will justify future features, or in this case previously shown and announced ones.

Just before anybody says this feature isn't that important, it's the ONLY way that people could have shared iDisk files without having to use the web interface, or network shares, or through the finder. That would have greatly sped up the process of getting out files as you'd no longer have to worry about email attachment limits and the like, and I'm sure many people can think of scenarios where this would have been useful.

Oh well.

EngBrian

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
...MobileMe support page still had instructions on how to use our now killed share button feature, and she told she would make sure to pass it on for removal.

I just went on the mobile me site and it still talks about "Share and Share alike"...I was hoping to get a trial account to use this feature and try mobileme in general as it seems better than when I had .Mac... I hope it does come through in the end.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    17 KB · Views: 83

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
I'm not renewing.

I'm scrapping Apple's access to my credit card. This is crap.

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
Well I'm glad I only got the trial. MobileMe turned out to be a MAJOR disappointment. Half the stuff they advertised was scrapped, and the other half barely works.

No Mac 2 Me push, no sharing on iDisk, iDisk is STILL really freaking slow (around like 70kb/s when I can upload to any other server at around 240kb/s), the site doesn't even work properly on one of my macs (running Safari no less). Hell, even MobileMe to Mac doesn't push properly most of the time. And whenever my Mac syncs and there is a change half the time it'll ask me if I want to approve it or not.

Nowhere near as integrated and smooth as it all looks in the video.

Anybody with a blog want to write a good post about this and get it on Digg or comparable sites? I can't believe there's like no press on this, I haven't even read a single post on Digg or anywhere else about MobileMe being down for like days. Word needs to get out and Apple needs to get their ass kicked for this screw up.

Only reason I'm not writing angry emails and getting my money back is because I'm on the trial, thank god.

I can only say one thing though: FALSE ADVERTISING!

EngBrian

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I guess I am not too familiar with software development cycles but how did something like the share feature get dropped in the month since the keynote when Phil showed this feature. I would have thought a month ago they would have known if it was going to be ready or not.

rdjl27

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
I made a blogpost about the push issue but my blog is so new and pathetic, it could never get up on Digg. Even if it did, I'm sure it would get ripped to shreds because it sounds more like a rant (which it is) than anything productive.

http://soloredd.typepad.com/

I wouldn't really call it a rant. Apple gets a pass too often when its not being transparent. The fact that many people are left in the dark as to how these things actually will work (10.4.x users for instance) is sad. Things performing in ways other than they were advertised and features being pulled at the last minute just is not the way to do business.

Although I'd like to point out that as long as the MobileMe support site has been up, that's how long the mention of the iDisk share feature has been noted there. Contrary to the chat agent told me, it looks like her passing on "feedback to the right channel to get that corrected" has not yet resulted in a correction. But if they're answering from scripts, it's pretty clear that they knew what what was going on. But again, a lack of clear, in the public transparency hinders us from knowing what actually is going on.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
funny

funny, so I setup the sharing with a password in my .mac (no updated to mm) control panel. then, I put some files in there, with idisk, and then I logged OUT of my mm, and went only to the PUBLIC url, was presented with a password request box, and was able to download the file I had put there.

Seems like file sharing is, or is still working.

mca7

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
funny, so I setup the sharing with a password in my .mac (no updated to mm) control panel. then, I put some files in there, with idisk, and then I logged OUT of my mm, and went only to the PUBLIC url, was presented with a password request box, and was able to download the file I had put there.

The file sharing function being discussed here is the lack of the email function. Apple advertised a way to upload large files to your idisk and then be able to send an email to a friend with a link they would easily click on and then the file would download to their computer. As of MM launch that ability is gone and supposedly has been cut from the MM service.

Poll Smoker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Unfortunately your faith does not serve you.

I spoke to a MobileMe Support Chat person last night to find out that they had scrapped the feature, at least in the current iteration of MobileMe and the product feature page had been edited to reflect that. I was reminded that the TOS Agreement allows them to do what they wish with anything (sounds like more than one Apple product launch to me, with announced features disappearing without a peep).

I then kindly pointed out to her (her name was Kara, but I'm pretty sure that they are all called that because it was the fourth time I had gotten a hold of "Kara") that the MobileMe support page still had instructions on how to use our now killed share button feature, and she told she would make sure to pass it on for removal.

So yeah... That's not very nice. Oh well, maybe our nigh $100 a year will justify future features, or in this case previously shown and announced ones.

Just before anybody says this feature isn't that important, it's the ONLY way that people could have shared iDisk files without having to use the web interface, or network shares, or through the finder. That would have greatly sped up the process of getting out files as you'd no longer have to worry about email attachment limits and the like, and I'm sure many people can think of scenarios where this would have been useful.

Oh well.

I just received an email from Apple saying the same thing.

It was a feature I was REALLY looking forward to using. Like you pointed out, using sharing files on iDisk is a pain in the ass, compared to the ease of simply sending someone a link, like with yousendit.com.

I'm thinking that Apple got frightened about two things:

1) Potential misuse (sharing music/software/etc)

2) The bandwidth that would be sucked up when people actually started using iDisk.

And, on a side note, there's no excuse for iDisk being so f*cking slow. It's been like that since day one.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008

this was something different. For example, with the file sharing people are talking about you could set options such as expire the link after x number of downloads, limit it by a particular password, and it was integrated with mail (not simply a hyperlink). If they didn't edit the file, you'll see it in action at http://www.apple.com/mobileme/guidedtour/

If they did edit it out, I have a local copy of the guided tour and you'll see. It blows public folders out of the water.

tismfu

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2006
Here's the nebulous reply I got from MobileMe support. I say nebulous because they seem to leave the door open to the feature popping up in the coming days/weeks/months.

Gotta say, though, as a Mac-diehard, Apple has dropped the ball and let down their customers in so many ways with this debut.

Dear xxx,

My name is xxx from the MobileMe Support team and thank you for your inquiry about iDisk File Sharing. This feature is not currently available with MobileMe.

When MobileMe was announced, iDisk File Sharing was mentioned as a feature; however, the MobileMe webpage noted that all features listed on that page were subject to change. When MobileMe was released on July 10, 2008, iDisk File Sharing was not included. I apologize for any inconvenience.

However, you can certainly use the Public folder of your iDisk to share files. You can access your Public folder through the new MobileMe interface. The new Internet address (URL) for iDisk Public folders is this:

http://idisk.mac.com/membername-Public

For more information about sharing your files using iDisk, please review this article:

Using your iDisk to share files
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1774

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. You may receive an AppleCare survey email; any feedback you provide would be greatly appreciated.

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

xxx
MobileMe Support
http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/ww
http://www.me.com/help

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yes

Yes, I Have SEEN the "send a link to this file" functionality in the MM video before, but I THINK that people here were reporting that the public folder share, and password enabled login was ALSO going to be lacking, which it appears not to be. Certainly, one can send a link to the website with a UN and PW. But, granted, it ain't YOUSENDIT, but then again, that ain't too secure.

Maybe they will add some func in the future, as they have with Leopard, time capsule and others.

bperkins

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2002
GA
Here's the nebulous reply I got from MobileMe support. I say nebulous because they seem to leave the door open to the feature popping up in the coming days/weeks/months.

Gotta say, though, as a Mac-diehard, Apple has dropped the ball and let down their customers in so many ways with this debut.

Just got the same "canned" reply from Mobile Me Mike...this is ********!

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I'm disappointed also that this isn't working.

MM seemed like such a great update to .mac and it is getting diminished each day...

Ashims

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
Honestly... I can forgive all the other problems they've had. I mean... they're all teething things that happen-- I was expecting as much with such a massive release.

That said, scrapping such a major feature with no warning? To me this is a massive letdown. Shall have to get in contact with Steve or the MobMe guys and see what is *actually* going on.

Anyone wanna volunteer?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Honestly... I can forgive all the other problems they've had. I mean... they're all teething things that happen-- I was expecting as much with such a massive release.

That said, scrapping such a major feature with no warning? To me this is a massive letdown. Shall have to get in contact with Steve or the MobMe guys and see what is *actually* going on.

Anyone wanna volunteer?

Exactly how i feel. I can forgive everything getting off to such a bad start, but to totally scrap the one thing i wanted the most..errr.. annoying, at best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.