Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pisces03x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
The day before 2.0 came out, I went and got a $25 iTunes gift card in preparation so that I can buy the update as well as a game or something.

When I finally got to downloading the update, I get a message saying that "iTunes credits cannot be used to purchase this update."
At this point, I'm thinking, "sure, whatever."

After the update, I decide to go get a game (Super Monkey Ball). To my surprise, iTunes didn't withdraw the money from my $25 account balance!

Is anybody else suffering through this, not being allowed to use iTunes gift cards to purchase apps? (Just wondering if it's only me)

pisces03x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Wow, that's horrible. Seriously, they have to do something about that: I'd much rather use Gift Cards...

Maybe in a future software update? =|

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
must be a canda thing cause i had 17 somthing dollars and i bought monkeyball with my credit and it went through

sgtboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2007
For the US :

Quote:
10. PAYMENT METHODS. The Service accepts credit cards, payment through your PayPal account, and iTunes Cards, iTunes Store Gift Certificates, and Allowance Account balances as forms of payment.
For Canada :

Quote:
10. PAYMENT METHODS. The Service accepts credit cards as the form of payment.

Pain

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I'm not following... you bought the update and it said iTunes doesn't accept this form of payment, so did the update fail? Or are just the applications unacceptable?

pisces03x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I ended up having to buy the update using a credit card. It worked successfully, but it's just that I'm somewhat confused as to why it didn't use the $25 credit on my iTunes account and instead pulled the money out from my credit card.

Canadians always get the short end of the stick when it comes to electronics, sadly. =(

Pain

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Apple's support is terrible. I emailed them, and they said the update is processable, but buying applications aren't in Canada. That is so lame. Do you have the same problem as me? Whenever I click 'Done' (I say none for the billing option), it just goes to the iTunes Store, and nothing happens. Whenever I check my account purchases, it's all the free ones.

pisces03x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I know, and it seems that Canadians are forced to face with this awful support for everything. I mean sure, the fact that we didn't have movies on the iTS until like a month ago was *probably* a standards issue, but we've had TV shows for quite some time - and yet none of them are available on the Xbox 360 yet :|

But the fact that Apple is not allowing us to purchase apps with credit and are instead forcing us to buy additional stuff is just wrong.

jincongz

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Hopefully they'll get their lobbyists up here and get the law changed, as I read somewhere else that it has to do with canadian laws not allowing apps...

pisces03x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
WHAT!!!
I don't even HAVE a credit card, what am I supposed to do?? Go down to America and buy a gift card there?!!

Wouldn't you have to still use an American iTunes account in order to buy the apps in the first place?

kayle12

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2004
WHAT!!!
I don't even HAVE a credit card, what am I supposed to do?? Go down to America and buy a gift card there?!!

Dam stupid laws....

Can you use Paypal to link to your bank account, and use Paypal on the iTunes Music Store??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.