Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
I'm considering an AppleTV. I have a MacBook Pro and 500gb ext hard drive. Will the AppleTV wake the MBP up from sleep? And does the lid need to stay open (on the MBP)?

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
I'm considering an AppleTV. I have a MacBook Pro and 500gb ext hard drive. Will the AppleTV wake the MBP up from sleep? And does the lid need to stay open (on the MBP)?

thats a good question. I have MBP + Apple TV + TC.

I will try that out. Give me a sec.

Brain lapse.. Apple TV is synced up to your iTunes at all times so your computer doesnt have to awake.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
thats a good question. I have MBP + Apple TV + TC.

I will try that out. Give me a sec.

Brain lapse.. Apple TV is synced up to your iTunes at all times so your computer doesnt have to awake.
But doesn't your MBP need to be awake to access a connected external drive?

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
But doesn't your MBP need to be awake to access a connected external drive?

Anyone?

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
So to those with a MacBook + :apple:TV do you just set your OS to not sleep but rather use the screen saver? If so, I guess that's fine, my MBP is just use to getting lots of rest.

Akira1980

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
San Diego
I have 40GB Apple TV, and my iTunes alone is over 50GB. So I just stream everything to my Apple TV from my MBP. When I come home, I plug in my MBP and leave it on 24/7. Streaming is really fast. Usually you have maybe 1 second of delay but that's about it. I am sure it is the same way if you use external HD.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
Cool. What do you have your energy saver set to? Never sleep + screen saver on?

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
I have this setup and what I do is just let the display sleep. This works perfect. Haven't tried with the whole MBP in sleep mode... I don't think it'd work. In my opinion though just sleeping the display is good enough for my MBP and its not doing any harm really by leaving the computer on a lot while I am home anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.