Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stone315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
ok, so i want to buy a macbook, and upgrade my hard drive and ram myself. how do you use superduper or carboncopy cloner to copy the os and programs onto a separate internal hard drive that i could then install in the macbook? like what form of cables or connections would i need? i'd rather not buy an enclosure, since this is only gonna be a one time thing, but if that's what i'll need i'll get it. the other thing is that i'm buying a time capsule with my macbook, so is it possible to use superduper to create a bootable copy on the time capsule, then switch hard drives, boot off the time capsule, then use superduper to copy the version on the time capsule onto the new hard drive?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Both SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner are very easy to use. Both can backup or make an exact bootable copy of your system to an external USB or Firewire drive. All that's needed beside the software is an external USB or Firewire drive formatted to the Mac standard HFS+ file system and a cable to match the drive.

If you're going to buy the Apple Time Capsule you probably don't need an additional external drive nor SuperDuper\CCC as Time Machine can provide you with the same protection.

Do some reading up on Time Machine and how it's used with Time Capsule.

Regards.

stone315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
ok, thanks, but I wasn't asking about backups. I wanted to switch hard drives in my MacBook, but I can't see any reason why superduper and a time capsule wouldn't work, so I'll probably just do that. Thanks though!

soms

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2007
Seattle
ok, thanks, but I wasn't asking about backups. I wanted to switch hard drives in my MacBook, but I can't see any reason why superduper and a time capsule wouldn't work, so I'll probably just do that. Thanks though!

That will work just fine. I bought one of those Western Digital 250gb passport external drives an swapped out my internal for it and it worked fine.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I know you didn't want to use an external enclosure, but, I have done it this way several times and it works great. OWC has decent USB to SATA cases for about $30:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_XLR8YourMac.cfm?ID=9459&Item=OWCMOTGSU2

Copy the internal drive to the new drive in an external case, then boot off the external drive to make sure everything is OK. If everything looks good, swap the drives and you can keep your old drive as an external backup.

Should work with Time Capsule, but make sure you do this over Ethernet. it will take alot longer to use Wifi (like hours and hours and hours). Remember you have to do this TWICE (once to backup to the Time Capsule, and once to restore). I heard full Time Machine restores can be very slow also.

Copying directly to an external would be significantly faster I believe. Direct backup could be done in an hour I believe, depending on the size of your drive. Time Machine backup and restore would take much longer.

stone315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
cool, thanks, i think i'm gonna go with the owc enclosure then. i looked at the manual for it online, and i had one more question. after i put it in the enclosure, should i format it in the mac osx extended file system or in fat32? or will boot camp just take care of all the partitioning and formatting for me after i get osx up and running on it?

edit: one more thing
this is the hard drive i plan on using:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280&Tpk=western%2bdigital%2bscorpio%2b320gb%2b7200rpm
i saw another enclosure that had a limit of 250gb; the owc one would work fine with this right?

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
OS X will want OS X Extended (Journaled). Make sure you partition the whole drive as GUID also...

I would get the drive swapped out and THEN worry about boot camp, and let it do the repartitioning, although I haven't worked with it.

They have a version of this enclosure with a 320GB drive, so I would think it would be OK. You might e-mail them just to be safe, though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.