Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven.nevets

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Vancouver, BC
is it possible to set up rules for the web mail app? because i love having ones from certain sites/people go to certain folders. i use mail.app to do the same, things like facebook go to my facebook folder... can i replicate this on mobileme? or do i need to make mail.app put them in the mobileme imap folders, and just see them in the inbox at the website?

sourcery

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
is it possible to set up rules for the web mail app? because i love having ones from certain sites/people go to certain folders. i use mail.app to do the same, things like facebook go to my facebook folder... can i replicate this on mobileme? or do i need to make mail.app put them in the mobileme imap folders, and just see them in the inbox at the website?

You got it. If you want server-side filtering that works the way it should, there aren't a lot of options out there that don't cost you dearly. Many of the available services (unlike, for example, GMail) do not apply apply any filtering rules unless you log in to your webmail account (assuming they provide that feature at all.) "Logging in" using an e-mail client over POP or IMAP won't cause the rules to be applied!

Sigh. At least Apple is moving in the right direction. But they badly need server-side mail filtering. IMAP accounts can be a real pain otherwisse. That's one design point that Microsoft got right (amazingly enough) with Exchange Server. If Apple really intends to provide "Exchange for the rest of us," that has to be their next target.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.