PDA

View Full Version : From Apple Support: sorry, Its not Push..no fix comings

Pages : [1] 2

vannibombonato
Jul 13, 2008, 05:31 AM
Dears,
just to let you know that the Push between desktop apps and the infamous cloud simply does not exist.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1155

The "automatic, instantly" that was advertised is simply a 15 minutes interval syncing between your mac and the redicolous cloud. I dont know how can this legally be possible with what they have shown in the keynote, shown in the guided tour video, and sold for 99 bucks.

Also i wonder what happens if, say, i change a calendar entry in my ical desktop app 1 minute before going out of home, then shut down the computer. Guess what? Unfortunately i wasnt lucky enough to get it synced...

This is not exchange for the rest of us, because exchange works. This is only a pathetically implemented scam. Im digusted.

zedsdead
Jul 13, 2008, 05:38 AM
Dears,
just to let you know that the Push between desktop apps and the infamous cloud simply does not exist.

The "automatic, instantly" that was advertised is simply a 15 minutes interval syncing between your mac and the redicolous cloud. I dont know how can this legally be possible with what they have shown in the keynote, shown in the guided tour video, and sold for 99 bucks.

Also i wonder what happens if, say, i change a calendar entry in my ical desktop app 1 minute before going out of home, then shut down the computer. Guess what? Unfortunately i wasnt lucky enough to get it synced...

This is not exchange for the rest of us, because exchange works. This is only a pathetically implemented scam. Im digusted.

This is ridiculous! Talk about false advertising. I'm really getting sick of Apple's marketing lately. They have been fabricating battery life for the past year, which is something they used to under-estimate, and the same false advertising existed for Back To My Mac (I have yet to try it under MobileMe, but will later today now that I was able to re login to my accounts on my computers).

marksman
Jul 13, 2008, 05:44 AM
I am glad I am in a 60 day free trial.

MobileMe is not shaping up to be something that will likely benefit me.

This just doesn't make any sense. Why are the windows on the computer so long? Seems like that would be the EASIEST one to do right away.

Schweppy
Jul 13, 2008, 05:58 AM
Thats not true!

I get emails pushed to my phone as soon as they arrive.

I think the syncing is only to do with contacts/calendar dates etc.

vannibombonato
Jul 13, 2008, 06:01 AM
Thats not true!

Are you serious or what?

Yes, it works between the iphone and the web server. If you change the calendar entry on your desktop application it does not work, you wont see it on your iphone or the web before you get lucky and the syncing process start.

Do you realize what they're doing is illegal? Do yo realize that they are still excplicitly showing on a video in their web site that if i change something on my desktop application it gets synced with the web and my iphone within seconds?

zedsdead
Jul 13, 2008, 06:04 AM
From Apple:

Push keeps contacts up to date.
Ever been on the road without an important phone number? With MobileMe, your contacts are pushed to all your devices and everything stays up to date. Make a change on your computer, and MobileMe updates your iPhone automatically. Likewise, when you make a change on your iPhone, it’s instantly pushed to your computer.

From the Cal section:
Changes you make are instantly pushed to all your devices so you’re always up to date.

Schweppy
Jul 13, 2008, 06:05 AM
Are you serious or what?

Yes, it works between the iphone and the web server. If you change the calendar entry on your desktop application it does not work, you wont see it on your iphone or the web before you get lucky and the syncing process start.

Do you realize what they're doing is illegal? Do yo realize that they are still excplicitly showing on a video in their web site that if i change something on my desktop application it gets synced with the web and my iphone within seconds?

Yes, you are correct about contacts, calendar entries, etc.

But emails DO push instantly...

vannibombonato
Jul 13, 2008, 06:11 AM

Say you go into a restaurant and
1- order apasta, a steak, and icecream
2- you're only served the icecream
3- A smiling waiter present you the full bill

What do you do? Pay for everything and go around saying how wonderful was your icecream?

zedsdead
Jul 13, 2008, 06:13 AM

Your not honestly trying to justify this are you. Apple lied, blatantly.

Schweppy
Jul 13, 2008, 06:13 AM
Say you go into a restaurant and
1- order apasta, a steak, and icecream
2- you're only served the icecream
3- A smiling waiter present you the full bill

What do you do? Pay for everything and go around saying how wonderful was your icecream?

LOL, i just agreed with you....

Stratguy
Jul 13, 2008, 06:17 AM

I have the status of MobileMe in the menubar, so when I need to go somewhere, I click on "sync now" in the drop down menu just before I go and everything is synced, just like Time Machine. I know it's not ideal but at least you don't get caught out.

chas0001
Jul 13, 2008, 06:18 AM
I am pretty disappointed. I just tried it out by adding an event on my phone and it did not appear on ical until i performed a sync. Not exactly Push when I have to Pull the information onto my computer.

e.m.
Jul 13, 2008, 06:19 AM

Email only push to the iPhone. Not to the Mac. Not sure if this is something that's going to be fixed in the future.

I think the above is upsetting in itself, but what we're angry about here is that according to the knowledge base article linked above, push anything will never happen from the Mac because it's not a supported feature, even though they led us to believe that it will be.

Advance The Man
Jul 13, 2008, 06:22 AM
This is an issue for me purchasing. I have 10.4.11, which the apple support page indicates MobileMe will update once an hour. I was under the impression that it was immediate. Since I will be sharing a calendar with spouse, PUSH is the reason I would be buying. I am waiting till hear more feedback such as this before plunging. Thanks for the info.

Dears,

marksman
Jul 13, 2008, 06:25 AM
From Apple:

Push keeps contacts up to date.
Ever been on the road without an important phone number? With MobileMe, your contacts are pushed to all your devices and everything stays up to date. Make a change on your computer, and MobileMe updates your iPhone automatically. Likewise, when you make a change on your iPhone, it’s instantly pushed to your computer.

From the Cal section:
Changes you make are instantly pushed to all your devices so you’re always up to date.

The horrible thing about both those quotes is they are technically true.

The first one only says "automatically" which it does automatically do it every 15 or 60 minutes.

The second one says pushes to all your devices instantly, meaning from .Me you can push to your phone, your computer etc at once. It does not say that you can push from your devices instantly.

I don't really understand this to be honest. Hopefully they are screwed up, have plans to fix this and make some kind of announcement.

zedsdead
Jul 13, 2008, 06:29 AM
The horrible thing about both those quotes is they are technically true.

The first one only says "automatically" which it does automatically do it every 15 or 60 minutes.

The second one says pushes to all your devices instantly, meaning from .Me you can push to your phone, your computer etc at once. It does not say that you can push from your devices instantly.

I don't really understand this to be honest. Hopefully they are screwed up, have plans to fix this and make some kind of announcement.

This quote:
"Make a change on your computer, and MobileMe updates your iPhone automatically. Likewise, when you make a change on your iPhone, it’s instantly pushed to your computer."

The "Likewise" is comparing the computer directly with the features on the iphone, ie. instantly.

hexonxonx
Jul 13, 2008, 06:41 AM
I just deleted a contact on MobileMe and within 15 seconds, I watched it automatically get deleted from my iPhone.

I then added two events on my calender for today on my iPhone. They were synced to my calender in MobileMe instantly as well. I didn't have to sync or anything, it was all done automatically within seconds.

I don't understand how this is not Push Calender and contacts?

zedsdead
Jul 13, 2008, 06:43 AM
I just deleted a contact on MobileMe and within 15 seconds, I watched it automatically get deleted from my iPhone.

I then added two events on my calender for today on my iPhone. They were synced to my calender in MobileMe instantly as well. I didn't have to sync or anything, it was all done automatically within seconds.

No one is saying that push between MobileMe and the iPhone is not working.

This is strictly between the Computer and MobileMe. Add something in iCal...it won't appear until your computer is forced to Sync.

hexonxonx
Jul 13, 2008, 06:45 AM

This is strictly between the Computer and MobileMe. Add something in iCal...it won't appear until your computer is forced to Sync.

I see. The push working between my iPhone and MobileMe is why I bought MobileMe. I don't care if it doesn't work the same way for my computers.

drjjw
Jul 13, 2008, 06:45 AM
What a joke.

Frm a huge MacHead this pains me to say it, but "Shame on you Apple"!!!

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 06:46 AM

No one here has been saying that it doesn't work for the iPhone. All the complaints here are about DESKTOP machines and the syncing/pushing issue.

EDIT: Zedsdead beat me to it!

I don't care if it doesn't work the same way for my computers.

That's not very friendly. Next time you come here for advice about an iPhone how'd you like it if I said 'I don't care about your problem because I don't have an iPhone'?

moseleyite
Jul 13, 2008, 06:52 AM

This is my experience also - however, when adding a contact or a calendar entry in Address Book or iCal on my mac, I have to manually sync or wait for an hour for my mac to sync automatically (I'm using Tiger, it would be 15 minutes in Leopard I understand).

This blatantly not instantaneous as shown in Apple's MobileMe video guide on their website. It is certainly not "exchange for the rest of us".

In summary, my tests point to this:

iPhone ---> MobileMe = push
MobileMe ---> iPhone = push
Mac ---> MobileMe = sync
MobileMe ---> Mac = sync (not sure on this one, I'm still trying it out)

Is this what others have found?

hexonxonx
Jul 13, 2008, 06:53 AM
That's not very friendly. Next time you come here for advice about an iPhone how'd you like it if I said 'I don't care about your problem because I don't have an iPhone'?

I didn't say I don't care that it doesn't work for you, I'm just saying it works for my purposes which is why I bought it.

Apple Ink
Jul 13, 2008, 06:53 AM
About email.... emails are a different thing. They have completely different servers from them and pushing emails is not such a big deal.

Whats big is that I watched the WWDC Keynote and the MMe guided tour. Both showed it crystal clear that desktop apps WILL PUSH! I'm waiting for another week. If this still persists, well Its gonna be war!

I didn't pay 99$ for this untruthful crap....:mad:

kdog1176
Jul 13, 2008, 06:55 AM
Yeah "push" does indeed exist between MobileMe and the IPhone, which I am very happy with! :-)

I did see how "syncing" is used between the Mac/PC and MobileMe. I have a Macbook (Leopard 10.5.4), and when I make an update on MobileMe/IPhone, the sync will automatically kick of within a few seconds to make the update on my Macbook (Sync also automatically kicks off when logging into Macbook). Though I wish it did the same thing when I make an update on the Macbook. The sync will not kick off right away, so I usually just kick the sync off myself.

I must say, I am still extremely happy with MobileMe. The "push" I desired was more for the IPhone, and the sync behavior on my Macbook works for me.

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 07:00 AM

Mac ---> MobileMe = sync

Yes, from what I've seen on various forums, iPhone users are getting push working but not desktop. A bit of a giveaway is to look at the sync menu in the MobileMe system preference where it gives the list of services and then a 'last sync' time

kdog1176
Jul 13, 2008, 07:05 AM

Mac ---> MobileMe = sync

Yes this is what I am seeing also. Though for "MobileMe ---> Mac" the sync does seem to kick off automatically and within a few seconds of updating MobileMe.

moseleyite
Jul 13, 2008, 07:09 AM
Yes, from what I've seen on various forums, iPhone users are getting push working but not desktop. A bit of a giveaway is to look at the sync menu in the MobileMe system preference where it gives the list of services and then a 'last sync' time

Thanks for confirming that - I've been looking over the forums but it's always good to get positive confirmation. :)

I'm actually finding that the sync from my mac doesn't always work:

I have added a contact in MM and then synced. This makes the contact show up in my Address Book.
I then delete the contact from my Address Book and sync. This should trigger the deletion of the contact from MM - it doesn't...

Yes this is what I am seeing also. Though for "MobileMe ---> Mac" the sync does seem to kick off automatically and within a few seconds of updating MobileMe.

this isn't always the case for me - I'm using Tiger so perhaps things are slightly different.

*GG*
Jul 13, 2008, 07:16 AM
Is it that Apple simply can't get this to work and have given up, or is it that they were lying from the outset?

This whole debacle is just a sham.

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 07:17 AM
I'm actually finding that the sync from my mac doesn't always work:

I have added a contact in MM and then synced. This makes the contact show up in my Address Book.
I then delete the contact from my Address Book and sync. This should trigger the deletion of the contact from MM - it doesn't...

Unfortunately same here - even when it is working relatively normally in all other departments. At the moment if I do a full sync from my mac to mobileme changes to iCal still don't show up on the cloud and trying to delete an event on the cloud returns a 'server error'.

arkitect
Jul 13, 2008, 07:18 AM
For me it seems to be working like this…

Mac ---> MobileMe = sync
MobileMe ---> Mac = push

scotty96LSC
Jul 13, 2008, 07:20 AM
Thats not true!

I find the same is true. Mail comes in -- boom -- right to my iPod touch and me.com account. Calendars and contacts longer.

Wild-Bill
Jul 13, 2008, 07:31 AM
The epic fail continues....

At WWDC Steve himself demo'd changing a calendar event on an iMac and then showed it appearing within a few seconds on the iPhone. Reality Distortion Field in full effect.

Straight from the Apple link provided by the OP: "Changes made on your computer will be synced to the MobileMe "cloud" once every 15 minutes (or every hour in Mac OS X 10.4.11)"

Over advertising and underperforming. I, for one, won't be renewing my "MobileMeh...." subscription.

zedsdead
Jul 13, 2008, 07:37 AM
The epic fail continues....

At WWDC Steve himself demo'd changing a calendar event on an iMac and then showed it appearing within a few seconds on the iPhone. Reality Distortion Field in full effect.

Straight from the Apple link provided by the OP: "Changes made on your computer will be synced to the MobileMe "cloud" once every 15 minutes (or every hour in Mac OS X 10.4.11)"

Over advertising and underperforming. I, for one, won't be renewing my "MobileMeh...." subscription.

Steve didn't demo MobileMe, Phil Shiller did, and he never used the desktop apps...only Me.com, which does work.

Either way, I agree with you, the marketing and the Apple Website say otherwise, and this is a sham, or it simply didn't work like they hopped.

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 07:37 AM

Mac ---> MobileMe = sync
MobileMe ---> Mac = push

Can you give a bit more info on your mobileme to mac push? For example, I added a contact in my address book via the cloud, but it didn't 'push' to the mac, it only appeared on my mac 12 minutes later when the mac sync'd with the cloud. Can you do a trial and see what happens (noting to see whether the appearance of the change ties in with the sync time in the mobileme system preference panel)?

EDIT: I also notice that my mac doesn't sync once every 15 minutes as stated it should by Apple, but about every 20 to 25 minutes. Does this mean if server traffic is particularly heavy even syncing is going to be erratic?

Wingnut330
Jul 13, 2008, 07:39 AM
I have to admit I'm a little disappointed - heck I can't even get the Mobile Me patch on my machine!

lofight
Jul 13, 2008, 07:47 AM
I just tried adding an calendar event in mobileme on my computer in calendar and it got immediately pushed to my ipod touch..

kdog1176
Jul 13, 2008, 07:47 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

iPhone - MobileMe = push
MobileMe - iPhone = push
Mac - MobileMe = sync
MobileMe - Mac = push

Can you give a bit more info on your mobileme to mac push? For example, I added a contact in my address book via the cloud, but it didn't 'push' to the mac, it only appeared on my mac 12 minutes later when the mac sync'd with the cloud. Can you do a trial and see what happens (noting to see whether the appearance of the change ties in with the sync time in the mobileme system preference panel)?

EDIT: I also notice that my mac doesn't sync once every 15 minutes as stated it should by Apple, but about every 20 to 25 minutes. Does this mean if server traffic is particularly heavy even syncing is going to be erratic?

When I add a calendar entry via cloud, the sync on MacBook (Leopard 10.5.4) kicks off right away. I also updated iSync preferences not to give warning if more than 5% of data is changing.

moseleyite
Jul 13, 2008, 07:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

When I add a calendar entry via cloud, the sync on MacBook (Leopard 10.5.4) kicks off right away. I also updated iSync preferences not to give warning if more than 5% of data is changing.

This isn't happening for me - I have to sync to get cloud data back onto my mac. I'm using Tiger so perhaps it works differently.

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 07:53 AM

When I add a calendar entry via cloud, the sync on MacBook (Leopard 10.5.4) kicks off right away. I also updated iSync preferences not to give warning if more than 5% if data is changing.

That's interesting - are you sure it is a sync triggered by mobileme rather than the mac's automatic periodic sync? At the moment I am not getting any syncs being triggered from the cloud, whatever I do, only automatic, periodic syncs instigated by the mac.

filmguy15
Jul 13, 2008, 08:07 AM
Can anyone think of why they would make it like this? It doesn't make sense to me. They developed the push feature for the iPhone, which is mini-OSX. How hard would it be to translate that to the desktop? If the iPhone can handle it, certainly so can the Mac. Hmmmmmmmm

kdog1176
Jul 13, 2008, 08:10 AM
That's interesting - are you sure it is a sync triggered by mobileme rather than the mac's automatic periodic sync? At the moment I am not getting any syncs being triggered from the cloud, whatever I do, only automatic, periodic syncs instigated by the mac.

Yeah I am definitely sure the sync on the Macbook is triggered by the MobileMe update. Just tested again adding a couple of entries. Each time the sync would kick off right away on the Macbook. Now if this same thing would occur going from the Macbook to MobileMe, I would be happy.

EDIT: Same behavior occurs on Address Book also.

petvas
Jul 13, 2008, 08:13 AM
This is my experience also - however, when adding a contact or a calendar entry in Address Book or iCal on my mac, I have to manually sync or wait for an hour for my mac to sync automatically (I'm using Tiger, it would be 15 minutes in Leopard I understand).

This blatantly not instantaneous as shown in Apple's MobileMe video guide on their website. It is certainly not "exchange for the rest of us".

Mac ---> MobileMe = sync

MobileMe->Mac/PC is push, not synced...I have tested it many times and it works.
I don't find it tragic that the desktop apps dont push the information but Apple should be straight about it from the beginning. I still find MobileMe much better than .Mac and at least now I dont have to sync my iPhone all the time. Mostly I make changes on my iPhone, so it works for me!

kdog1176
Jul 13, 2008, 08:17 AM
MobileMe->Mac/PC is push, not synced...I have tested it many times and it works.
I don't find it tragic that the desktop apps dont push the information but Apple should be straight about it from the beginning. I still find MobileMe much better than .Mac and at least now I dont have to sync my iPhone all the time. Mostly I make changes on my iPhone, so it works for me!

Yes, this is what I have observed also. Update in MobileMe will kick off sync on Macbook right away. So I guess that should be considered push.

f1d

Where do you find the preferences to turn that off? It's rather annoying!

I'm the same as kdog I think, I updated my calender in me.com... and within seconds it was updating on my Macbook (well, warning me that more than 5% needs changing!).

Again, within seconds a contact was also updated. This only really did it after I got the .Mac --> MobileMe update though I think.

jdcoffman
It sounds to me that Apple just didn't have enough time to finish all that they wanted to do. No doubt Steve wants everything to be Push.

But let's look for a second at how MobileMe on the desktop is currently working:

- The behavior in my mind is a lot like TimeMachine:
1) it's looking at all of those items on the list of checkboxes in MM prefs
2) Compares that to the server
3) works out changes
4) Uploads

there's quite a bit of overhead in those steps, especially when including Keychain, Dock, Dashboard, etc.

My guess is that for a complete Push solution, those transactions would need to be made at the Application level, similar to how Mail does IMAP, with each press of the delete key on a message it communicates with the server.

Similarly, for iCal, those server transactions would need to be built in to the application itself...Which I would imagine would take a fair amount of work.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm not justifying it. I would expect a Push to be less than 1 minute, not 15 like it currently is. But I also don't want my computer to be processing changes for ALL of those little checkboxes every 30 seconds or whatever.

filmguy15
Jul 13, 2008, 08:18 AM
Yes I just tested this and it seemed to auto sync whenever I made a change. But the change never showed up? I make an iCal change from the cloud, I see the sync wheel start in the toolbar, but the ical event never changes on my Mac? Weird.

ntrigue
Jul 13, 2008, 08:20 AM
As far as Apple is concerned, MobileMe is the web interface. And you know what? They did a great job with it. Put Bookmark to your Me.com in the Dock and learn to use that for Calendar, Mail, and Contacts. Just because your accustomed to iCal etc. doesn't mean it's the only solution.

TINCAN78
Jul 13, 2008, 08:23 AM
Yes I just tested this and it seemed to auto sync whenever I made a change. But the change never showed up? I make an iCal change from the cloud, I see the sync wheel start in the toolbar, but the ical event never changes on my Mac? Weird.

Have you tried closing Ical (shutting it down fully) then reopening it..... if i do that it shows the update ical event. Its strage that its seems to push it to Ical yet it deosn't show up until i restart the ical app...... Try it , is it the same for you ?

soLoredd
Jul 13, 2008, 08:28 AM
As far as Apple is concerned, MobileMe is the web interface. And you know what? They did a great job with it. Put Bookmark to your Me.com in the Dock and learn to use that for Calendar, Mail, and Contacts. Just because your accustomed to iCal etc. doesn't mean it's the only solution.

That is not the answer. I shouldn't have to change the way I do things for this to work. The whole point of the freaking thing was make it seamless - i.e. I shouldn't have to worry about it.

Use the webapp? Are you kidding me?

edit: What would make things better is if you could set the sync to be every minute, the way it is in Mail. In Mail, it doesn't push, per se, but having it pull every minute is pretty close. Waiting 15 minutes sucks, especially if you are on a laptop about to go off the grid. You have to remember to manually sync. Who knows, it could just be for whatever reason MobileMe isn't triggering to the Mac/PC correctly. Maybe it can be fixed.

kdog1176
Jul 13, 2008, 08:31 AM
Where do you find the preferences to turn that off? It's rather annoying!

I'm the same as kdog I think, I updated my calender in me.com... and within seconds it was updating on my Macbook (well, warning me that more than 5% needs changing!).

Again, within seconds a contact was also updated. This only really did it after I got the .Mac --> MobileMe update though I think.

I launched iSync from the Applications menu in Finder. Then navigated to iSync --> Preferences. You can either turn this off or increase the %.

jc1350
Jul 13, 2008, 08:31 AM
I don't think you'll see push email on the desktop (not this time around, anyway). If you look at the account setup in Mail, it clearly is using imap. That's not push no matter how fast it is.

For those who are upset about paying $99 for this "push" service....remember MobileMe is not just email, contacts and calendars. It's also idisk, iweb, and galleries. Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just pointing out that some are forgetting about the other features when complaining about paying $99 for email.

I like the galleries. I have ilife '06 and had no plans on buying ilife 08, but I just might do it now. Yeah, you can get something similar in concept to galleries for free from Google's Picasa Web Albums, but in typical Apple fashion, galleries are presented in a much better format/interface including something that looks very similar to Cover Flow. Very nice for sharing family photos with family spread across the country.

kwfl
Jul 13, 2008, 08:33 AM

Mac ---> MobileMe = sync

i dont have an iphone yet, but the MobileMe ---> mac is Push and not sync. the only thing that is not push is from the mac to the mobileme.

kdog1176
Jul 13, 2008, 08:35 AM
I have observed though that updating on the IPhone --> MobileMe will not kick off the sync on the Macbook right away.

MacDonaldsd
Jul 13, 2008, 08:36 AM
Regardless of weather the website is good or not, it still doesn't do what it says. And iCal doesn't even sync every 15 mins for me.

Why can't calendars "sync" every couple of minutes, at least that would work.

kdog1176
Jul 13, 2008, 08:40 AM
Overall I am very pleased with MobileMe:

- Web Apps (finally are up) running fast and smooth
- MobileMe --> IPhone: push
- IPhone --> MobileMe: push
- MobileMe --> Mac: push
- Mac --> MobileMe: sync

iMosaic
Jul 13, 2008, 08:59 AM
Overall I am very pleased with MobileMe:

- Web Apps (finally are up) running fast and smooth
- MobileMe --> IPhone: push
- IPhone --> MobileMe: push
- MobileMe --> Mac: push
- Mac --> MobileMe: sync

I agree with kdog. Before I had to sync all my computers and iPhone. Yesterday only email was being pushed. Today my calendars are pushing down, but not up from Mac. I think things are slowly coming around after the server problems Apple had Friday. Patience everyone.

iTim314
Jul 13, 2008, 09:08 AM
So they advertised explicitly that you could make a change on your desktop application when really it's a manual or periodic sync?

So long, MobileMe.

arkitect
Jul 13, 2008, 09:12 AM

Mac ---> MobileMe = sync
MobileMe ---> Mac = push
Well that is not the case now anymore…

Can you give a bit more info on your mobileme to mac push?

Well since it is a slow overcast Sunday afternoon I tried this…

Calendar entry from my iPhone @ 14:47
MobileMe @14:48
My Mac Pro @ Still waiting even after 2 manual Syncs…

Calendar entry from MobileMe @ 14:52
My iPhone @ 14:52 (Within seconds)
My Mac Pro @ 14:52 (Within Seconds)

Calendar entry from my Mac Pro @ 14:49
iPhone @ 14:53 (Around 4 minutes)
MobileMe @ 14:57 (Around 8 minutes)

I have no idea what to make of this…

Edit: I have since made two more entries on my iPhone to test and while both have been received by MobileMe none have appeared on my Mac even after manual Syncs.
:o

Hands0n
Jul 13, 2008, 09:15 AM
An observation and a question.

Did none of you [apparently frothing at the mouth] who "paid" $99 or £50 not bother to do the 60-day trial then? Surely not? This may not appear at all sympathetic of me, and it is not intended to be either. We're talking money here. Why would you commit especially when there is a 99.9% functional trial available (afaics only eMail alias doesn't work in the trial). Rhetorical question; Why would you do this to yourself?

I am running the trial, and at any time before 60 days can cancel the deal and Apple will not draw on my credit card. That all sounds very fair enough to me, and more than plenty of time to evaluate MobileMe in all of its glory and faults. Yes, it is not perfect - but its a hell of a lot better than the .Mac that used to be quite a bit more expensive.

I have MobileMe operating across a pair of Leopard Macs and an iPhone 2G with the V2 firmware. It works seamlessly, and flawlessly, given the timing issues that are being discussed above. But the important point is that it works. And moreso that it works when I'm mobile, the whole point for me.

Where I have a problem is with my Mac Pro running Tiger 10.4.11 which authenticates onto MobileMe through its .Mac Sysprefs panel. But it will not access the Sync or Advanced panels - although iDisk works fine! There is no info on Apple Support to help (no real surprise there), and there seems not to be a replacement panel for Tiger as there was for Leopard yesterday.

I note that some of you have managed to get on to MobileMe with their Tiger-equipped Macs. How? Did you have to do anything special to make this happen? It is, for me, the final bit of the puzzle to complete my MobileMe to iPhone and three Macs that I want to get working within the trial.

arkitect
Jul 13, 2008, 09:20 AM
An observation and a question.
Did none of you [apparently frothing at the mouth]…etc…

Well I for one am not frothing at the mouth as you put it — just expecting my .Mac/MobileMe service — that I have been paying for since 2000 to be working.

Wouldn't you?
Or is that unreasonable of me?
;)

GuillaumeB
Jul 13, 2008, 09:23 AM
So I guess we're waiting for iCal/address book software updates now..

mwp98223
Jul 13, 2008, 09:23 AM
I have the status of MobileMe in the menubar, so when I need to go somewhere, I click on "sync now" in the drop down menu just before I go and everything is synced, just like Time Machine. I know it's not ideal but at least you don't get caught out.

Super for you, but that is NOT what Apple is selling. You can also pull out your individual devices and make sure you have made accurate entries on all your devices before you go out too, but that is NOT automatic/push syncing.

There is simply no basis to justify today ANY interval of synching when Apple clearly sold us automatic INSTANT syncing.

stix666
Jul 13, 2008, 09:26 AM
If there is no intention to offer 'push' services from desktop machines, it's straightforward mis-selling, and dissatisfied customers will have a right to compensation irrespective of whether or not they did the free trial, or others are happy.

I think it is appalling for Apple to mis-sell in this way. It ruins the brand reputation. It will cost the company much more than the additional MobileMe revenue they generated from those needing desktop 'push'.

However, I suspect that significant changes need to be made to the desktop apps to offer true 'push' services, and those changes will be made through free software updates. It's basically a big PR disaster in the meantime. I wouldn't be surprised if someone high up gets fired over this. They should pull the video off the website now.

mwp98223
Jul 13, 2008, 09:28 AM

Try to do the same thing from a computer. It does not sync instantly like it does on the iphone. That is what people are complaining about. Apple said it was going to work the same for all devices and it isn't.

Gantunes
Jul 13, 2008, 09:31 AM
The push works fine for me in my iPhone but from MobileMe to my Macbook, the push doesn't work. I'm on Leopard 10.5.4 with MobileMe in my System Preference.

Any Idea?

Sorry for my poor english but i'm french.
Thx

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 09:33 AM
I have no idea what to make of this…

Edit: I have since made two more entries on my iPhone to test and while both have been received by MobileMe none have appeared on my Mac even after manual Syncs.
:o

Thanks for the clarification Arkitect - Yeah I'm in the same position, I can do a manual sync from my Mac and nothing turns up on the cloud! Don't even talk about getting changes made on the cloud coming back to the Mac...For much of the time it's like I've got two separate iCal applications each bearing little relation to the other.

I have never known Apple to make such a screaming mess of things.

iMosaic
Jul 13, 2008, 09:33 AM
So I guess we're waiting for iCal/address book software updates now..

Both iCal and Address Book show being modified on 6/30/08. So either there is another update or the server side is still having trouble.

macbookairman
Jul 13, 2008, 09:34 AM
the way I see this is that Apple is still going to have push from computer to MM and devices. It's just not working now, so they posted a support article about how to make it work (kinda) temporarily while they try to find a solution to it. I don't think they are deliberately holding back on that feature. But hey, what do I know?
I agree with Stix, I think before it works right, iCal, Address Book and other apps will need updates.

BillyBobBongo
Jul 13, 2008, 09:38 AM
I'm still living in my own world and hoping that these are all bugs in the system. It kinda defeats the point if my Mac can't push to my iPod. I don't want to use the web apps, and this was certainly not how it was advertised. I remain hopeful, if not a liitle delusional!

riverfreak
Jul 13, 2008, 09:41 AM

I disagree. Mail rarely loads. Calendar constantly refreshes. The whole thing is major bloat.

When me.com actually LOADS, it's feature poor compared to free options like Google. And Google has already done webmail and webcalendar very well. And the pages are crisp, clean, and fast.

All we need now is a free app from Google to persist calendar and contact information on a device when offline.

GuillaumeB
Jul 13, 2008, 09:41 AM
Any AppleScript that would force a desktop sync every minute?

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 09:42 AM
Did none of you [apparently frothing at the mouth] who "paid" $99 or £50 not bother to do the 60-day trial then? Surely not? This may not appear at all sympathetic of me, and it is not intended to be either. We're talking money here. Why would you commit especially when there is a 99.9% functional trial available (afaics only eMail alias doesn't work in the trial). Rhetorical question; Why would you do this to yourself?

First of all, there are a lot of people out there who were already dotmac subscribers, so they are not 'doing it to themselves' - they have had their service (such as it was) disrupted and - if you check a lot of forums both independant and Apple run - you'll find there are thousands of people who are having problems with MobileMe, not just a few. Secondly it has already been well established that most people with iPhones are getting their mail and what have you 'pushed' - so simply saying 'my iPhone gets stuff pushed so what is everyone complaining about' doesn't help - the point at issue here is that for a lot of people there are serious problems getting the cloud to talk to the Mac and sometimes vice versa.

cwosigns
Jul 13, 2008, 09:43 AM
I'm kind of a fanboy, but this disappoints even me. On my MacBook I prefer to use iCal and Address Book. I do feel that Apple misrepresented the push functionality of MobileMe with regards to desktop applications, and I hope they fix this soon.

I'm disappointed in them. They had every opportunity to make the launch of the iPhone 3G, iPhone 2.0, and MobileMe a spectacular event. Instead, due to Steve's obsession with secrecy and synchronicity, the whole launch ended up quite embarrassing for them.

I'm sure their stockholders can't be too pleased with this.

profetto
Jul 13, 2008, 09:45 AM
Hmm, seeing as Push seems to work between iPhone and MobileMe, I have other ideas as to what is happening between MobileMe and Mac.

From what I've read, apparently this is the conclusion:

MobileMe -> Mac (Push)
Mac -> MobileMe (Sync)

I have played around with it and I think that MobileMe -> Mac is infact 'Sync'. Let me explain. Under the MobileMe options in System Preferences, we obviously have all selected to Sync automatically. We have just found out that this "automatically" actually means every 15 minutes.

So, if the Mac is Syncing every 15 minutes with MobileMe, then really, it could be doing something like this:

I'll start with 9am for symplicity:

9:00am (Mac syncs with MobileMe)
9:15am (Mac syncs with MobileMe)
:
9:45am (Mac syncs with MobileMe)
etc...

Now, say you change a contact on MobileMe at 9:01am, technically that contact will not be changed on your Mac until the next Sync time, which is 9:15am, approximately 14 minutes later.
Now, say you change a contact on MobileMe at 9:14am, again, that contact should not be changed on your Mac until the next Sync time, which is still 9:15am, which now is only 1 minute later!

From the article posted in the first post from Apple, I do believe MobileMe -> Mac and Mac -> MobileMe are both Sync.
The disagreements on how long its taking to Sync (and thoughts that it may actually be Push) can only be what I have just explained in my opinion.

I may be wrong, but that is what I strongly think is happening here.

EDIT: I should state that I still think this is absolutely unfair Apple has done this.

corinhorn
Jul 13, 2008, 09:48 AM
the way I see this is that Apple is still going to have push from computer to MM and devices. It's just not working now, so they posted a support article about how to make it work (kinda) temporarily while they try to find a solution to it. I don't think they are deliberately holding back on that feature. But hey, what do I know?
I agree with Stix, I think before it works right, iCal, Address Book and other apps will need updates.I agree. If things don't change within a week or two, I'll be more apt to complain. The thing is, .Mac has worked great for me for years, costed the same as MobileMe, and things were not always instant, even though (from my memory) .Mac syncing was suppose to be instant. Oh well. I still think Apple is still transitioning from .Mac to MobileMe. Currently, aside from the web apps changes, MobileMe is the exact same as .Mac, with the inclusion of a really lame name.

nebulight
Jul 13, 2008, 09:55 AM
I'm not going to post what others have said, but it's not push from desktop apps, period. I still can't the me.com portal to work so I'm screwed for push. Personally, I wouldn't mind using me.com for my cal,mail,address book as they look just like the OS X apps.

Now, my complaining. Verizon has had this type of service for a LONG time. It's called wireless sync. I work for an IT consulting firm and for clients that are too cheap to buy exchange we set them up with Verizon's WirelessSync. It's a desktop app that monitors your outlook and ANY time there is a change (ie. new mail, address entry, calendar) it will immediately start a sync. It is sync, but the desktop app monitors Outlook's PST or OST for changes and uploads those changes right away so it feels like push. Then on verzion's servers it will push down to the phone.

My point, if verizon can do it on their app, why can't apple? Apple wrote the OS and the Apps, shouldn't be that hard.

kdog1176
Jul 13, 2008, 09:56 AM

Hmm, seeing as Push seems to work between iPhone and MobileMe, I have other ideas as to what is happening between MobileMe and Mac.

From what I've read, apparently this is the conclusion:

MobileMe -> Mac (Push)
Mac -> MobileMe (Sync)

I have played around with it and I think that MobileMe -> Mac is infact 'Sync'. Let me explain. Under the MobileMe options in System Preferences, we obviously have all selected to Sync automatically. We have just found out that this "automatically" actually means every 15 minutes.

So, if the Mac is Syncing every 15 minutes with MobileMe, then really, it could be doing something like this:

I'll start with 9am for symplicity:

9:00am (Mac syncs with MobileMe)
9:15am (Mac syncs with MobileMe)
:
9:45am (Mac syncs with MobileMe)
etc...

Now, say you change a contact on MobileMe at 9:01am, technically that contact will not be changed on your Mac until the next Sync time, which is 9:15am, approximately 14 minutes later.
Now, say you change a contact on MobileMe at 9:14am, again, that contact should not be changed on your Mac until the next Sync time, which is still 9:15am, which now is only 1 minute later!

From the article posted in the first post from Apple, I do believe MobileMe -> Mac and Mac -> MobileMe are both Sync.
The disagreements on how long its taking to Sync (and thoughts that it may actually be Push) can only be what I have just explained in my opinion.

I may be wrong, but that is what I strongly think is happening here.

EDIT: I should state that I still think this is absolutely unfair Apple has done this.

I update contact in MM at 9:06 and sync kicks off immediately on mac and updates.

ntrigue
Jul 13, 2008, 10:08 AM
Slight tangent...

I have the MobileMe (only paid $69) on my desk with serial. Should I wait until trial expires so as to have one year + 60 days? Or am I purchasing from date of trial download?

soLoredd
Jul 13, 2008, 10:09 AM

I update contact in MM at 9:06 and sync kicks off immediately on mac and updates.

I have never seen that happen. I don't even know how, at this point, MobileMe and any Mac app can communicate that way. There is nothing in the Sync settings, address book, Mail, or iCal that dictates that, either. The closest thing is Mail have a 1 minute sync interval.

People posting that MobileMe is kicking off a sync on their Mac/PC must be mistaken. (In my opinion)

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 10:09 AM

I think it may be that people with iPhones have set up their Macs and phones using iSync, and that is probably what is prompting the automatic sync when you make a change. People without any devices can't use iSync, which may be why their Macs won't sync with the cloud and vice versa. Just a theory.

I am guessing that there are still plenty of problems with the servers - I am getting a range of 'server error' problems and even 'infinite loop' conflicts when MobileMe tries to load pages, so that's not helping.

Sharper540
Jul 13, 2008, 10:10 AM

Actually in terms of Contacts it's not working for me. I got everything set up per the instructions and now all of my Contacts have disappeared from my iPhone 3g. The contacts are on MobileMe (that is when it is up and running) but nothing comes over to the iPhone. Yes, I have turned it on on the iPhone. I've gone through the set up 5 times. I've just gone back to syncing through iTunes. It works! MobileMe is a disaster! Poorly executed implementation. I bet Steve is making a list of which heads are going to roll right now.

GuillaumeB
Jul 13, 2008, 10:12 AM
...from a rumor going on in a French forum, 10.5.5 would fix the Push issue on the desktop side...like I said...software updates.

Can anyone confirm that?

redshield3
Jul 13, 2008, 10:14 AM
You guys are sooooooooooooo lazy. Look: Just make your changes in ical, address book, whatever, then hit 'sync' in the menu bar at the top of the screen. It takes less than a second to do!

kdog1176
Jul 13, 2008, 10:14 AM

I have never seen that happen. I don't even know how, at this point, MobileMe and any Mac app can communicate that way. There is nothing in the Sync settings, address book, Mail, or iCal that dictates that, either. The closest thing is Mail have a 1 minute sync interval.

People posting that MobileMe is kicking off a sync on their Mac/PC must be mistaken. (In my opinion)

I tested several times. Add calendar entry in MM and in seconds later I see sync kicking off on my MacBook.

southerndoc
Jul 13, 2008, 10:18 AM
If there is no intention to offer 'push' services from desktop machines, it's straightforward mis-selling, and dissatisfied customers will have a right to compensation irrespective of whether or not they did the free trial, or others are happy.

I think it is appalling for Apple to mis-sell in this way. It ruins the brand reputation. It will cost the company much more than the additional MobileMe revenue they generated from those needing desktop 'push'.

However, I suspect that significant changes need to be made to the desktop apps to offer true 'push' services, and those changes will be made through free software updates. It's basically a big PR disaster in the meantime. I wouldn't be surprised if someone high up gets fired over this. They should pull the video off the website now.

Let's try to remain calm. Obviously there are kinks in the system, and Apple will probably develop this in the future. Everything updates when my MobileMe syncs. Although in an ideal world it would update instantaneously, it appears it's only doing it every 15 minutes or so. I think an OS X update (10.5.5?) will be needed to fully implement push technology in all directions.

kdog1176
Jul 13, 2008, 10:21 AM

I think it may be that people with iPhones have set up their Macs and phones using iSync, and that is probably what is prompting the automatic sync when you make a change. People without any devices can't use iSync, which may be why their Macs won't sync with the cloud and vice versa. Just a theory.

I am guessing that there are still plenty of problems with the servers - I am getting a range of 'server error' problems and even 'infinite loop' conflicts when MobileMe tries to load pages, so that's not helping.

I'll have to check my iSync when I get back home. Not sure I have any devices hooked to it.

Kilamite
What is different about the likes of Mac OS X iCal and Address Book compared to the iPhone's Calendar and Contacts? The iPhone's Calendar and Contact applications must be more unique than the OS X ones, since OS X doesn't push any new data, it syncs at intervals.

What does the iPhone's app's do differently? When you create a new event in Calendar, at what point is it pushed? When you leave the app or as soon as you created the event?

tezgno

This works for me as well. When I initiate a change from Me.com, that change seems to push rather instant from MM to my Mac and iPhone. In fact, as soon as I hit the save button in MM, I notice that my Sync icon starts spinning. However, as everyone else has pointed out, if I make a change from my desktop apps, the sync doesn't happen for about 10-20 minutes. In some cases, those changes hit my phone. In other cases, they don't.

From my phone, I have had changes that are made push all the way across to my Mac and changes that didn't. It appears to be a luck of the draw.

At this point, there is no way that I can consider MM to be "production" ready. I can barely login online and get things to load at times. When I am able to get things to load, I normally have several discrepancies that show up, particularly in my contacts and Mail. For mail, it never seems to show up-to-date mail. It is constantly showing mail that has either been moved or deleted (although it shows up fine on my Mac and my phone). For contacts, I have noticed that the contacts sometimes do not show all of the contact's information. In some cases, it will just show a name. In other cases, it will show everything. However, on my phone and computer, it shows everything.

Hands0n
Jul 13, 2008, 10:23 AM
First of all, there are a lot of people out there who were already dotmac subscribers, so they are not 'doing it to themselves' - they have had their service (such as it was) disrupted and - if you check a lot of forums both independant and Apple run - you'll find there are thousands of people who are having problems with MobileMe, not just a few. Secondly it has already been well established that most people with iPhones are getting their mail and what have you 'pushed' - so simply saying 'my iPhone gets stuff pushed so what is everyone complaining about' doesn't help - the point at issue here is that for a lot of people there are serious problems getting the cloud to talk to the Mac and sometimes vice versa.

So, is the core dotmac functionality gone? Or is it a subset of MobileMe (I fancy it is the latter)?

The MobileMe push stuff is all very new in the dotmac replacement that it is. It is inevitable that all of us early adopters will experience issues. There has been some good quality diagnosis by some on this thread that clarifies what is, and isn't, happening across the platforms. It mirrors what I am seeing from my own, largely positive, experience.

The thing is, regardless of any pedantry surrounding the word "instantly" and given the detailed analysis of others above, MobileMe does work, and not only for me, largely doing what it says on the tin.

Now I need to get on with my own "serious problem" of getting MobileMe to talk with OS X Tiger, which it currently will not - but I know that it does as friends of mine have it working absolutely fine!

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 10:25 AM

I'll have to check my iSync when I get back home. Not sure I have any devices hooked to it.

I thought the point of your original posts was to say that when you made a change in the cloud it showed up immediately on your Mac at home. But if you are not at home, I'm a bit confused by what you are saying.

The problem a lot of people are having here is getting a change in the cloud to affect their machine at home. Can you say or not that a change you make in the cloud turns up on your machine at home?

kdog1176
Jul 13, 2008, 10:27 AM

I just left the house. But have been testing at home all morning.

freedevil
Jul 13, 2008, 10:28 AM
I still can't believe we can't publish via Iweb. What's the point of this service then? It's been down since launch.

DaBrain
Jul 13, 2008, 10:30 AM
Yeah "push" does indeed exist between MobileMe and the IPhone, which I am very happy with! :-)

I did see how "syncing" is used between the Mac/PC and MobileMe. I have a Macbook (Leopard 10.5.4), and when I make an update on MobileMe/IPhone, the sync will automatically kick of within a few seconds to make the update on my Macbook (Sync also automatically kicks off when logging into Macbook). Though I wish it did the same thing when I make an update on the Macbook. The sync will not kick off right away, so I usually just kick the sync off myself.

I must say, I am still extremely happy with MobileMe. The "push" I desired was more for the IPhone, and the sync behavior on my Macbook works for me.

I don't know about all of you BUT I want Push to all my devices as advertised. Whether it be from my macbook to the cloud, or my iMac to the cloud, or my iTouch to the cloud and my Mac's.

That was the main thing that sold me on mobile me. Now I find out that only push happens from the cloud to iPhone or iTouch or vice versa, but not from my iMac or Macbook to the cloud!

They got my money this time but it will be the last unless this works both ways for all my devices.

Very disappointed in this! I was just getting to like mobile me until I started playing with the push feature intensely only to find out just how misleading Steve/Phil were on the last keynote! So IM back to synch. Whipteeee do! Hardly an exchange like service.

Man I love Apple stuff but this just isn't right! :eek:

kwfl
Jul 13, 2008, 10:31 AM
Slight tangent...

I have the MobileMe (only paid $69) on my desk with serial. Should I wait until trial expires so as to have one year + 60 days? Or am I purchasing from date of trial download?

if you dont want the 20GB webspace, then i suggest you wait. Also, you cant make aliases now, but you may not need it.
You can still think about your email address and want to change it. lol
You can still sell the MM code anytime and still works anytime.

so if you dont like it, there is a second chance to cancel.

You guys are sooooooooooooo lazy. Look: Just make your changes in ical, address book, whatever, then hit 'sync' in the menu bar at the top of the screen. It takes less than a second to do!

it is not just laziness. It is what apple sells and what we get. They are different, do you like that?

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 10:33 AM
It is inevitable that all of us early adopters will experience issues.

I've had my dotmac account for years - in what way am I an 'early adopter'? The new service has been advertised as having a number of improvements - from what I can see there are a lot of people who cannot access those improvements or feel that the advertising was misleading and that what has arrived is not what was promised.

If you do not feel that and that your service works, that is good for you, but given the widespread number of complaints it is clear that something is seriously wrong for a lot of other people.

Yes, technically I have much the same service as I had before with dotmac, but that is not really the point - Apple are saying and selling the service as having a certain amount of things in it - I, like a lot of people, cannot access those services.

I just left the house.

Ah, you have a life! I should get out more...

Sky Blue
Jul 13, 2008, 10:40 AM
Added a test appointment to my phone, logged in to me.com straight away and there it was.
Opend iCal ... waited... waited... 10 minutes later, there it was :rolleyes:

kwfl
Jul 13, 2008, 10:41 AM
The good thing is, when push happens it is real PUSH.
I mean, the push occurs for the things that were changed, if calender changes, then only calender gets pushed, and not mail and contacts (if all, then it will be push sync lol)

this is good because it wont drain iPhone battery, since sync takes longer than push.

oh, did you get it guys? :D

Added a test appointment to my phone, logged in to me.com straight away and there it was.

that is what is happening with everyone, but that is what is annoying too.

Gantunes
Jul 13, 2008, 10:44 AM
...from a rumor going on in a French forum, 10.5.5 would fix the Push issue on the desktop side...like I said...software updates.

Can anyone confirm that?

It's a fake.

mm.. no because people success to push from MM to Mac...

Hands0n
Jul 13, 2008, 10:46 AM
I've had my dotmac account for years - in what way am I an 'early adopter'? The new service has been advertised as having a number of improvements - from what I can see there are a lot of people who cannot access those improvements or feel that the advertising was misleading and that what has arrived is not what was promised.

If you do not feel that and that your service works, that is good for you, but given the widespread number of complaints it is clear that something is seriously wrong for a lot of other people.

Yes, technically I have much the same service as I had before with dotmac, but that is not really the point - Apple are saying and selling the service as having a certain amount of things in it - I, like a lot of people, cannot access those services.

Presumably macrumors.com is not a "complaints-only" forum and that as much can be learned from a positive experience as from a negative one. Maybe I'm wrong. Mother always said I was a bit idealistic ;)

MobileMe works for me in the context that has been discovered by others earlier in this thread. Push or Sync it works. Information entered into one of the three MobileMe clients (Mac Mini, Macbook Pro, iPhone) updates on all of the others, and also on the MobileMe portal. Again, in the context of what has been analysed by others earlier in this thread - and a good analysis and explanation of the different flows it is. Oops, I'm being positive again, naughty naughty ;)

I believe that an existing dotmac client who has been [albeit involuntarily] updated to MobileMe can be classed as an early adopter if they are making use of the MobileMe functionality over and above the core dotmac capability. It is, after all, new code, new functionality, and errors, bugs and omissions are bound to occur. I suppose it is entirely possible to use MobileMe for only the original dotmac functions and eschew entirely the new aspects of the platform.

It is only day three of MobileMe and the title of this thread is very misleading. We do not know that there are no fixes coming. Wouldn't that be as much of a "lie" as some of our "frothers" on this thread are claiming Apple have made?

I remain optimistic.

Sky Blue
Jul 13, 2008, 10:46 AM

I know, i was just trying it myself.

kwfl
Jul 13, 2008, 10:50 AM
mm.. no because people success to push from MM to Mac...
they only get push to their macs from MM, if they make the changes in the MM and not iphone.

so iphone pushes to MM and MM is not clever enough to push the data imported from the iphone to the mac or pc.

so if you change things in the iphone, it will get pushed to MM and you will wait till the mac syncs to get it in your mac.

if you change things directly in MM they get pushed to iphone and mac (but not pc)

that is my experience. (although i dont have the iphone) but that is what is actually happening.

Gantunes
Jul 13, 2008, 10:55 AM
For me, the push from MM to Mac directly doesn't work. Why ?

MM ->> iPhone : Done
iPhone ->> MM : Done
MM ->> Mac : Sync every 15 minutes
Mac ->> MM : Sync every 15 minutes

It's because i have a trial account ?

sharp65
Jul 13, 2008, 10:57 AM

It just doesn't work, it has nothing to do with it being a trial. Read a few pages back, most people are reporting the same thing.

GuillaumeB
Jul 13, 2008, 10:59 AM
It's a fake.

Can to share details...?

kwfl
Jul 13, 2008, 11:00 AM

so you are saying
if you log in to http://www.me.com/calendar/ and then add an appointment, it does not get pushed to your mac?

it should get pushed

MacBoobsPro
Jul 13, 2008, 11:03 AM
"Push email. Push contacts. Push calendar.
MobileMe stores all your email, contacts, and calendars in the cloud and pushes them down to your iPhone, iPod touch, Mac, and PC. When you make a change on one device, the cloud updates the others. Push happens automatically, instantly, and continuously. You don’t have to wait for it or remember to do anything — such as docking your iPhone and syncing manually — to stay up to date."

From http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/

Give it time. With the problems Apple have had it is probably still not working correctly.

FYI I just added a calendar event in MobileMe via browser and nothing has happened. I am going to run a couple more tests though.

Gantunes
Jul 13, 2008, 11:04 AM
so you are saying
if you log in to http://www.me.com/calendar/ and then add an appointment, it does not get pushed to your mac?

it should get pushed

Yes, the push doesn't work.. :confused:
MM is updated, i don't understand :s

stix666
Jul 13, 2008, 11:05 AM
Let's try to remain calm. Obviously there are kinks in the system, and Apple will probably develop this in the future. Everything updates when my MobileMe syncs. Although in an ideal world it would update instantaneously, it appears it's only doing it every 15 minutes or so. I think an OS X update (10.5.5?) will be needed to fully implement push technology in all directions.

I am calm - what are you on about? :confused:

'Will probably' aint good enough for paying customers, given the explicit advertising about 'push'. Apple would have done better to either:

- never put up a promotional video that misleads paying customers
- put the video up but clearly add a disclaimer that 'push' services wont be available from Macs (at least for now), and give an idea of timescale for when such services would become available

They have done the worst thing possible - not deliver the service as advertised, not explain why, and left us all hanging based on a knowledge base article that seems to equate 'push' with sync.

If they lose customer trust, their business goes down the pan. MobileMe is part of their drive for the business market. It will be extremely damaging for them if businesses lose trust in the Apple brand due to their dodgy advertising. I suspect Jobs will not be calm about this!

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 11:08 AM
so you are saying

it should get pushed

I've never had a calendar event 'pushed' from MobileMe to my mac - at best when the mac auto syncs it might turn up but that can be anything up to half an hour later if at all. My mac is not even syncing at 15 minute intervals as it should - last sync gap was 33 minutes - even though I made changes to the calendar during that time.

Gantunes
Jul 13, 2008, 11:10 AM
I've never had a calendar event 'pushed' from MobileMe to my mac - at best when the mac auto syncs it might turn up but that can be anything up to half an hour later if at all. My mac is not even syncing at 15 minute intervals as it should - last sync gap was 33 minutes - even though I made changes to the calendar during that time.

Help us KWFL :D

vannibombonato
Jul 13, 2008, 11:10 AM
Yes, the push doesn't work.. :confused:
MM is updated, i don't understand :s

Same problem here (on top of the fact that it does not push from mac to web...but that's normal for Apple...)

handcraft
Jul 13, 2008, 11:18 AM

I have no problems with pushing data. On your Mac you need to refresh your email account and calender to send and receive changes but that is the email and calender apps fault not mobile me. I am guessing that is the apps are always checking for changes it would be an issue for your computer... No?

jennyp
Jul 13, 2008, 11:19 AM
I am calm - what are you on about? :confused:

'Will probably' aint good enough for paying customers, given the explicit advertising about 'push'. Apple would have done better to either:

- never put up a promotional video that misleads paying customers
- put the video up but clearly add a disclaimer that 'push' services wont be available from Macs (at least for now), and give an idea of timescale for when such services would become available...

I completely agree. The video clearly implied that all operations were push.

And let's be honest, we all thought that, didn't we? We were all lead to believe by the video that everything would be instantly pushed. That's what sold it for me. And now many users have paid money on the basis of that information.

Now it turns out that users find that many operations do not push instantly, as was implied by the video. If it's not a current fault or something, then at least one of the apparent push operations on the video must have been a faked sync.

If this is true, it's really very shameful for Apple.

Flightmaster
Jul 13, 2008, 11:20 AM
So, I've been trying to make this work since yesterday with 3 mac and 1 iPhone clients. I do suspect that, in fact, the push works as advertised. I'm uncertain about he 15min mac-->me facts, as I've had client behavior that acted like push (i.e it worked as advertised, but only in the few hours after launch, and only with the first (of three) client, me, iphone combos).

I suspect that true push does lie under the hood, but that a "failsafe sync" is launched every 15 (possibly to clear some caches). That failsafe is now acting (poorly, I must add) as a lifeboat to any mac-Me communication at all.

I've been on this for almost 20 hours now, and I can attest to this:

The sync service from mac <--> me, is grossly inconsistent, dysfunctional, and frankly, at this time does not really work at all (push or sync.) Even at this moment there are server-side crashes every other minute or so.

Work is happening, however. For example, the "payment account" information tab appeared in Me a few hours ago.

So, my (semi-educated-trial-by-error) guesses are the following:

a) Mobileme is still not ready. There are probably several dozen people working frantically on restoring the intended functionality right now (in fact, I'd guess that code teams gave been working 24/7 since the original release date.)

b) The mobile-me teams are triaging, and they have been told "iPhone first", "Mac" second (and who can blame them for that, I certainly don't - given the other issues that iPhone owners have experienced over the last few days). This is just a reality of triage: move quickly to assert the greatest pain-point. Stabilize this until moving on to other wounds.

c) Things will improve, with Push across the board coming. Patches for the apps, and/or even a 10.5.5 update may be required, in case Apple has discovered that these are not just server-side problems.

I'm frustrated that Apple is letting me guess at this, and wasting my time by letting me chase in the dark. It would be nice to have some more info (hello Cupertino???.)

If there is not a fix for this by next weekend, or at least detailed information from Apple, then I'll be pretty disgusted. For now, I can at least understand and accept that a meltdown occured and that "top-men" are on it.

cP

arkitect
Jul 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
so you are saying

That is correct.

it should get pushed
Well, it doesn't. :(

MacBoobsPro
Jul 13, 2008, 11:22 AM
A couple of quick tests show:

Sending email using MobMe in Safari sends email instantly to iphone and comes through in mail.app when mail.app checks like usual. Remember nothing has changed in mail app so although the email may be sent instantly it will not come through in mail app until it runs its auto check (default 15 mins) or you press 'get mail'. The email sent in MobMe appears instantly in the mobme inbox upon sending.

Sending email via Mail.app took 3 minutes to appear on iPhone and came through as expected in mail.app on autocheck (15 min intervals) or on pressing get mail. The email was slow to show up in mobme browser mail window but it did come through on its own in about 2 minutes.

Contacts:

I added one on the iphone. Nothing happened elsewhere.
I added one in Address book (local) nothing happened.
I added one in address book in mobme browser nothing happened.

Calendars also seem to be running VERY slow and something i changed in mobme browser yesterday as a test only appeared on my phone and in ical today.

Give it time. There are obviously some teething problems.

kwfl
Jul 13, 2008, 11:23 AM
Help us KWFL :D

i have sync set to automatically,

when i go to the calender in MM and add an even, it gets pushed to my iCal (mac app) within 15 SECONDS.

Note: this is different from making an event into your iphone. The event that you make in your iphone gets pushed to MM and they you have to will till you mac syncs to get it in iCal.

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 11:25 AM
I have no problems with pushing data. On your Mac you need to refresh your email account and calender to send and receive changes but that is the email and calender apps fault not mobile me.

It's not a question of refreshing apps - as has been stated a lot of people cannot get MobileMe to push events to their Macs. In my experience, when a change in iCal or Address Book goes from MobileMe to the Mac it is the result of the Mac doing an automatic sync - it is not being 'pushed' - and refreshing makes no difference, the event turns up in the calendar automatically but only after the Mac syncs.

JimmyDreams
Jul 13, 2008, 11:28 AM
Have you tried closing Ical (shutting it down fully) then reopening it..... if i do that it shows the update ical event. Its strage that its seems to push it to Ical yet it deosn't show up until i restart the ical app...... Try it , is it the same for you ?

That worked for me. None of the updates I posted from my iPhone OR the cloud made it to my iMac....at least until I turned iCal off and then back on again. Once it restarted, POOF, all my updates were there.

(and yes, I 'forced' my iMac to sync and everything was still MIA until I restarted iCal.)

terryblyth
Jul 13, 2008, 11:38 AM
Give it time. There are obviously some teething problems.

I think Apple are more at fault here with their communication than anywhere else. I'd guess that forum users make up a minority of their users, and to offer nothing but radio silence and a status page that says everything is working OK to the majority of people is just IMHO plain wrong.

HolmesQatar
Jul 13, 2008, 11:38 AM
I seem to be finding that MobileMe preferences won't stay set to automatic sync. I select the 'automatic' option and close the preferences. But if I immediately click back into it, it has reverted to 'Every hour'. It just won't stay set to 'automatic' at all and so I don't even get syncs every 15 minutes.

Explorz
Jul 13, 2008, 11:42 AM
Not sure if this is a part of the issue or not. But I have made sure that my calendars on my laptop and iMac are published. When I change anything on my computers I see that it send that information instantly up to "the cloud." However, it still does not change instantly on MM. It shows the changes at some point within 15 minutes.

Works for me for the most part, but certainly not instantaneously. I like the idea that if you need something to sync instantly because perhaps you just made a change on your computer, you can always choose "sync now."

Also, since I know that the change made to my calendar was pushed up to the could instantly (just doesn't show up in MM right away) then I can shut down my computer and continue on my travels knowing that the changes I made on my computer have been pushed and will update my other devices within 15 minutes.

I seem to be finding that MobileMe preferences won't stay set to automatic sync. I select the 'automatic' option and close the preferences. But if I immediately click back into it, it has reverted to 'Every hour'. It just won't stay set to 'automatic' at all and so I don't even get syncs every 15 minutes.

Try logging out of .me and then log back in. If that doesn't work you may need to trash your com.apple.DotMacSync.001b639bd397.plist preference.

JimmyDreams
Jul 13, 2008, 11:48 AM

I am calm. I'm also a bit pissed. Why on EARTH would you release something you knew didn't work?

Ok, let's assume they THOUGHT it worked, but now it clearly doesn't. Whay on EARTH would you continue advertising and selling something you NOW KNOW doesn't work?

It's borderline unethical, and certainly does nothing to convert the Vista crown to Mac.

At the very least, they should take down the video 'tour' which is either blatantly false or at the least misleading. And they should send an email to every subscriber and trial member of MobilMe saying "We're sorry, we've got problems and we're working on them". Instead all we get is silence.

Calm? I still am. Disappointed and feeling a bit used, you bet I am.

Jul 13, 2008, 11:49 AM
YESTERDAY , YES , PUSH IS NOT WORKING

BUT NOW , i done my testing on my new iphone and mac

Mac ---> MobileMe = Sync
MobileMe ---> Mac = Push

so...i just can say

shame on you , apple

Agathon
Jul 13, 2008, 11:49 AM
This is hopeless.

I can change a calendar on my touch and it will appear on the web client in a short time.

I can change something on the web client and it will usually change it on my Touch immediately (although there are occasional errors).

Changing something on my mac sometimes works if I sync it.

Changing something on the web client sometimes ends up changing stuff on my mac.

Email is borked. It works perfectly on the web, but will only push to the Touch intermittently. If the Touch is asleep, it won't push (not sure if that is a "feature" or not. This bothers me more than anything. I'm guessing wifi connectivity requires the device to be awake, which means that push email is basically useless, since if it isn't playing music it auto sleeps after a short interval.

Intermittently, MobileMe will create another identical account on my Touch and then start doubling up all my stuff.

On the whole the service is extremely poor. I suspect that Apple will be sued for false advertising and rightly so.

Works for me for the most part, but certainly not instantaneously. I like the idea that if you need something to sync instantly because perhaps you just made a change on your computer, you can always choose "sync now."

Stop making excuses for Apple. They messed this up and deliberately misled consumers. Push means Push. The service was advertised as instantly syncing everything. It does not – therefore Apple failed.

There's also other stuff they advertised (like iDisk sharing) that has been quietly dropped.

Just accept that it isn't what was advertised. Nobody wants to hear excuses for Apple's poor performance.

vannibombonato
Jul 13, 2008, 11:53 AM
This is hopeless.

I can change a calendar on my touch and it will appear on the web client in a short time.

I can change something on the web client and it will usually change it on my Touch immediately (although there are occasional errors).

Changing something on my mac sometimes works if I sync it.

Changing something on the web client sometimes ends up changing stuff on my mac.

Email is borked. It works perfectly on the web, but will only push to the Touch intermittently. If the Touch is asleep, it won't push (not sure if that is a "feature" or not. This bothers me more than anything. I'm guessing wifi connectivity requires the device to be awake, which means that push email is basically useless, since if it isn't playing music it auto sleeps after a short interval.

Intermittently, MobileMe will create another identical account on my Touch and then start doubling up all my stuff.

On the whole the service is extremely poor. I suspect that Apple will be sued for false advertising and rightly so.

I am an Apple fan, i even have some tens of thousands bucks in share as an investment because i believe in the company long term.

But the way they're handling this seriously make me doubt about the management. It's not about screwing up something technical, that can happen. It's about having on your home page a jerk telling you on a video how everything works, when you do know that in the very same moment the thing you're selling it just does not work. And you don't send me a two-liner apologizing? You do not say anything? Are you working on it or are you waiting that this hit the news before acknowledging that there's an issue?

It's a matter of reputation here. In my opinion Apple is now simply a company that sometimes sell very good products, and whose customer service is beyond crap. They're lying here, people.

Jul 13, 2008, 11:53 AM
Stop making excuses for Apple. They messed this up and deliberately misled consumers. Push means Push. The service was advertised as instantly syncing everything. It does not – therefore Apple failed.

There's also other stuff they advertised (like iDisk sharing) that has been quietly dropped.

Just accept that it isn't what was advertised. Nobody wants to hear excuses for Apple's poor performance.

i think wi-fi disconnect after sleep is quite reasonable......
if you own iPhone , you can get a push mail in every time and everywhere
this is the different

HolmesQatar
Jul 13, 2008, 11:55 AM
Try logging out of .me and then log back in. If that doesn't work you may need to trash your com.apple.DotMacSync.001b639bd397.plist preference.

Logging out and in didn't work. But can't find the preference file you quoted anywhere. This issue is also happening on my Macbook as well as my iMac.

JimmyDreams
Jul 13, 2008, 11:59 AM
This is a cut and paste from Apple.com under 'learn more' about MobilMe:

MobileMe
MobileMe, the Internet service from Apple, automatically pushes new email, contacts, and calendar events to your Mac or PC and over the air to your iPhone and iPod touch. So no matter where you are, your devices are always up to date. You also get easy photo sharing, 20GB of online storage, and mor

They advertise push, not sync. I guess they would argue 'always', but to me, that means damn near instantaneous.

I'm going to watch the video now so I can be further lied to.
:mad:

dombookpro
This whole thing is a storm in a teacup. The bottom line is that all of the push services are working (including when u add a contact/calendar event on iphone/mobileme, it will push immediately to desktop). The only thing that isn't to some people's satisfaction is the lack of immediate pushing from desktop. Can I make a suggestion - Once you've added all your contacts, updated all your calendar events... How about you simply click "sync now" - It's a short distance up to the menu bar... and then perhaps you can then "get over it".

It's also amazing how people like to spread disinformation on these forums. People are convinced that they saw Steve Jobs demoing desktop apps pushing info from imac... If you were to actually check, rather than talking straight out of you bum, you would find that it was Phil Schiller, and he consistently used the mobileme web apps during his demo. So they were not dishonest.

I'd prefer it to push automatically - but I'm not gonna throw my toys out of the pram about it. Unlike many of this thread.

LEStudios
Dears,

That's Not true you need to go to your iPhone to Settings Make Sure Push is on but don't do Every 15 Minutes set it to Manually. I've been testing it by Creating Groups in Address Book on the Mac then go to Me.com to see if everything is there it was but make sure that is on Automatic. Everything that you do will basically be instant. I'm really amazed and happy that I got my .Mac account back in January now I got a better service then I ever expected. I'm happy Mac user. If you having problems then you need to take your Stupid butt to the Genius Bar @ you local Apple Store and get a cup of knowledge on me! :D

dombookpro
Jul 13, 2008, 12:05 PM
"MobileMe
MobileMe, the Internet service from Apple, automatically pushes new email, contacts, and calendar events to your Mac or PC and over the air to your iPhone and iPod touch. So no matter where you are, your devices are always up to date. You also get easy photo sharing, 20GB of online storage, and mor

They advertise push, not sync. I guess they would argue 'always', but to me, that means damn near instantaneous."

hmmm... Amazing how someone can produce evidence for skullduggery, only for it to contradict the point they're trying to make. The above statement is correct.

"MobileMe [...] automatically pushes new email, contacts, and calendar events to your Mac or PC, and over the air to your iPhone and iPod Touch."

That's what it does - Anything contained on MobileMe is pushed automatically to your Mac or PC and iPhone/Touch. What's your point?

chris3g
Jul 13, 2008, 12:06 PM
It's not a question of refreshing apps - as has been stated a lot of people cannot get MobileMe to push events to their Macs. In my experience, when a change in iCal or Address Book goes from MobileMe to the Mac it is the result of the Mac doing an automatic sync - it is not being 'pushed' - and refreshing makes no difference, the event turns up in the calendar automatically but only after the Mac syncs.

Push from mobileme to mac definitely works, it's not a result of a scheduled sync. I made a small video of push in action, take a look.

http://massoh.com/chris/push.mov

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 12:23 PM
Push from mobileme to mac definitely works, it's not a result of a scheduled sync. I made a small video of push in action, take a look.

That's great for you, and good to have some visible proof - I'm just saying that I have never had that happen on my Mac and neither have a lot of other people. Do you have an iPhone by the way? It seems like more people are having success in pushing from the cloud if they have an iPhone, perhaps because the iPhone is linked to the Mac through iSync?

vannibombonato
Jul 13, 2008, 12:27 PM
That's Not true you need to go to your iPhone to Settings Make Sure Push is on but don't do Every 15 Minutes set it to Manually. I've been testing it by Creating Groups in Address Book on the Mac then go to Me.com to see if everything is there it was but make sure that is on Automatic. Everything that you do will basically be instant. I'm really amazed and happy that I got my .Mac account back in January now I got a better service then I ever expected. I'm happy Mac user. If you having problems then you need to take your Stupid butt to the Genius Bar @ you local Apple Store and get a cup of knowledge on me! :D

Did you miss something in the last 150 posts?
We're not talking about iphones here, we're talking about those white big things sitting in millions of consumers houses called M-A-Cs .
Wake up and get a cup of coffee on me.

Agathon
Jul 13, 2008, 12:30 PM
This whole thing is a storm in a teacup. The bottom line is that all of the push services are working (including when u add a contact/calendar event on iphone/mobileme, it will push immediately to desktop). The only thing that isn't to some people's satisfaction is the lack of immediate pushing from desktop. Can I make a suggestion - Once you've added all your contacts, updated all your calendar events... How about you simply click "sync now" - It's a short distance up to the menu bar... and then perhaps you can then "get over it".

It's also amazing how people like to spread disinformation on these forums. People are convinced that they saw Steve Jobs demoing desktop apps pushing info from imac... If you were to actually check, rather than talking straight out of you bum, you would find that it was Phil Schiller, and he consistently used the mobileme web apps during his demo. So they were not dishonest.

I'd prefer it to push automatically - but I'm not gonna throw my toys out of the pram about it. Unlike many of this thread.

I don't want to be rude, but you are stretching the edge of pathetic here. Do you not remember the diagrams at WWDC showing that if you changed it on one device (whether it be phone, ipod, PC or Mac) it would immediately be pushed up to the cloud and down to all the other devices.

That neither Schiller or Jobs bothered to say "It only works for the web apps and the phone, not for the desktop apps" was an intentional omission. Apple will be sued, and rightly so.

I'm watching Schiller at WWDC right now. He implies that it works from Outlook and the Mac.

profetto
Jul 13, 2008, 12:33 PM
Just some thoughts. Could this 'push' working for some and not others be due to what country we live in?

Seeing as you cannot technically buy MobileMe yet from the Canadian Apple site, but you can from the American Apple site. Makes me think as though certain servers are still not set up while some are.

I live in Canada, and I just tried putting an event in calender on me.com and a different event on caldener on desktop, and neither were pushed to the other.

Really makes me believe MobileMe is not fully set up to push as of yet.

Sean Gould
Jul 13, 2008, 12:34 PM
Boy, I sure would love to chime in with my personal experience using the mobile me service that I just paid for. Unfortunately I still haven't received the update in either software update or in .mac prefs. Awesome.

cuanurse
Jul 13, 2008, 12:34 PM
I am pretty disappointed. I just tried it out by adding an event on my phone and it did not appear on ical until i performed a sync. Not exactly Push when I have to Pull the information onto my computer.

Oh.. so I tried to put something in my ical on my ipod to see if it would update and it didn't. I looked further into and it and it turns not only do I have to set up "automatic" syncing in mobileme but also set it up in itunes. Then set it up on my ipod. So it didn't work because I didn't set it up right but now it is great! For those who things are working- do you have things properly set up?
Here is the step by step for Mac and ipod...
http://www.apple.com/mobileme/setup/?referer=INFO&lang=en&deviceClass=iPod&familyID=10001&softwareVersion=2.0&os=Mac&osVersion=10.5.4&iTunesVersion=7.7

cuanurse
Jul 13, 2008, 12:35 PM
Boy, I sure would love to chime in with my personal experience using the mobile me service that I just paid for. Unfortunately I still haven't received the update in either software update or in .mac prefs. Awesome.

To get this you must go into System Preferences --> Internet & Network --> .Mac.
Sign OUT then back it and the update should pop up! I was having the same problem.

Agathon
Jul 13, 2008, 12:44 PM

Cool. This was working for me yesterday, but seems to have stopped now. I have no idea why.

chancee
Jul 13, 2008, 12:49 PM
This ************ sync issue is just as bad as the misinformation regarding the emails and the fact that unless you have a .me/.mac account you have to go through he** to get emails from a different account - hotmail, gmail, etc. Even then you have to jerry rig everything to have the correct FROM email listed. In order to reply from the corresponding email it means you have to have the account already on your iphone... so that means you're basically getting duplicate emails. So what did i do to stop getting duplicates? I listed a dummy server in the INCOMING SERVER, but now my iphone is constantly checking and trying to access the server and get those emails... $99 a year for this headache?! Please.

Exchange for the rest of us?? Not even close. This is a balancing act of several different imperfect technologies thrown together.

cuanurse
Jul 13, 2008, 12:54 PM
This ************ sync issue is just as bad as the misinformation regarding the emails and the fact that unless you have a .me/.mac account you have to go through he** to get emails from a different account - hotmail, gmail, etc. Even then you have to jerry rig everything to have the correct FROM email listed. In order to reply from the corresponding email it means you have to have the account already on your iphone... so that means you're basically getting duplicate emails. So what did i do to stop getting duplicates? I listed a dummy server in the INCOMING SERVER, but now my iphone is constantly checking and trying to access the server and get those emails... $99 a year for this headache?! Please.

Exchange for the rest of us?? Not even close. This is a balancing act of several different imperfect technologies thrown together.

I'll admit that I did wish the push was for gmail but I don't think it's "he**" to get email from it. I think that this is pretty cool but I do hope for some improvements in the future.

Jul 13, 2008, 12:56 PM

yes , thank you. however , on this thread ,
we feel disappointed on "Mac to Mobile Me Pushing".......

they are lying .....

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 12:57 PM

Hey Chris3G I just had my first MobileMe to Mac push. Made a change in the cloud then about 2 or 3 minutes later the sync started - and it wasn't an automatic sync as it only updated the app I had changed. BUT 2 minutes after that I tried it again - did exactly the same thing (twice to make sure) and...nothing. Absolutely dead. Had to wait for the automatic sync and still nothing showed up. But then quitted out of iCal and started it up again and the changes appeared. Not how it was demoed - don't remember Phil Schiller shutting the app down and then opening it up again to get his pushed events to appear!

lancejorton
Jul 13, 2008, 12:58 PM

Maybe you don't have it setup correctly. I can't even sync my iPhone contacts, etc when I plug it in. It just says there is nothing to do and moves on. I tried adding an event to iCal as a test. It was on my iPhone in 2-3 minutes. I deleted it from the iPhone and it was deleted from my iCal in less than 30 seconds. That's why I got MobileMe and it works for me.

I am disappointed the MobileMe interface is so slow. I hope they resolve that. I am also disappointed that the iPhone 2.0 software doesn't allow for Push emails from 3rd party IMAP servers. Seems like a simple fix but it appears they are not supported, but that's for a different forum.

soLoredd
Jul 13, 2008, 01:01 PM

Well, you pissed me off even more because I am not as fortunate as you! :D

So, we know it can work.

Are you able to get it to push from your Mac to MobileMe though?

hbunting
Jul 13, 2008, 01:03 PM
After I set it to automatic on both imac/mbp it works great. Everything seems to be off by just a few seconds, although I think the longest I've seen something to take affect somewhere is is like 25 seconds.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think mobileme is finally working great. The only issue I have is the apps don't load as quickly as was shown at the 2008 WWDC, even though I'm on a 10meg connection :D

Now if they can only come up with a 64GB or bigger iPhone!!!

chris3g
Jul 13, 2008, 01:04 PM
Hey Chris3G I just had my first MobileMe to Mac push. Made a change in the cloud then about 2 or 3 minutes later the sync started - and it wasn't an automatic sync as it only updated the app I had changed. BUT 2 minutes after that I tried it again - did exactly the same thing (twice to make sure) and...nothing. Absolutely dead. Had to wait for the automatic sync and still nothing showed up. But then quitted out of iCal and started it up again and the changes appeared. Not how it was demoed - don't remember Phil Schiller shutting the app down and then opening it up again to get his pushed events to appear!

i think it still needs work as i also had some times yesterday when it was spotty...but, at least the feature itself is there, mobileme-to-mac IS push, when it works. On the other hand, mac-to-mobileme is most definitely NOT push.

Agathon
Jul 13, 2008, 01:04 PM
i think wi-fi disconnect after sleep is quite reasonable......
if you own iPhone , you can get a push mail in every time and everywhere
this is the different

It is unclear what it does. You can set the iPod to pull Mail from the server every 15 minutes and it will do this whether it is asleep or awake. I know, since I just got mail from Apple while it was asleep and the bleep went off.

However, in the iPod Touch Manual Apple explicitly says that Yahoo Mail will be pushed to your iPod.

If you have a Yahoo! email account, email is instantly transferred to iPod touch as it arrives at the Yahoo! server.

What I want to know is if push email is active while the unit is asleep, or whether you need to activate polling to get your mail.

I think that push is active while it is asleep, because calendar events are pushed and available as soon as it wakes up. It just seems that mail is not working 100% right now.

MacBoobsPro
Jul 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
So it turns out if we actually follow the set up instructions it works. For me at least. I was having problems but now I have actually done what Apple asked regarding setting MobileMe up everything works.

Go here (http://www.apple.com/mobileme/setup/iphone/mac.html) and do every step then everything should work fine. If you believe you have done all this I urge you to check again because I thought I had but my iPhone was not set up correctly and I had to make 3 changes.

Do it!

HolmesQatar
Jul 13, 2008, 01:05 PM

Found the file. Trashed it. Did nothing. Automatic only stays selected if I select none of the checkboxes to sync items. The moment I select one of them and restart system preferences the box changes to 'every hour'. Happens on both systems.

bmk
Jul 13, 2008, 01:09 PM
i think it still needs work as i also had some times yesterday when it was spotty...but, at least the feature itself is there, mobileme-to-mac IS push, when it works. On the other hand, mac-to-mobileme is most definitely NOT push.

I think that's about as concise a summing up of the situation as we've had so far!

Chumkiu
I am saddened that Apple are not bending over backwards to offer a solution to this mess..
Unfortunately, I don't think Steve Jobs really understands what this hick-up has done to the reputation of his company.
Apple have always been the company to keep things cloak and dagger, to always be ahead of the rest, and to claim superiority in no such words.
When you have a secrecy policy as tight as they do, you only can hope that when they do release whatever they have been keeping secret for months and months, that it is water tight and totally lives up to the hype.

With all Apple products previously I can say that they have, but for once Apple has fallen flat on their faces and now I can't take them seriously.
We are not imagining that Apple basically sold us Sync ical, and contacts, whilst advertising "Push Everything"!
I don't see how Steve Jobs has the cheek to be so smug and secretive about Apple products ever again after this sham.
There have been unquestionable errors, faults and defects with Apple products, but we haven't had so much as an explanation given over these forums or any others by the upper echelons at Apple, or less than knowledgeable Apple staff on the other end of the Apple care Telephone numbers. We just get ignored hoping that our peers have the answers.
Well this time, after all of Apple's Hoo Haa about Mobileme, about "Exchange for the rest of us" I'm afraid that people will not go quietly this time.

We need to continue until we get some sort of answer from Jobs or someone who actually knows what's going on....:confused:

bemaniac
I know it's probably been beaten to death in this thread, but I just wanted to say how utterly disappointed I am with Apple's attempt at a push service.

Sure, between MobileMe and iPhone works fine (though actually, not everything works perfectly for me), but the whole reason I bought this service was so that I wouldn't have to manually sync or wait for information on my computer to sync with the rest of my devices.

If all I wanted to do was be able to manually sync all my devices to my mac, I would have just connected the USB cord to my iPhone!

That being said, I do have faith in Apple, and if enough people are pissed about something, they may try to fix it. Who knows, maybe Apple already has "push from mac" in the works for an upcoming software update.

Mindflux
Jul 13, 2008, 01:27 PM
I just found this on the discussion forums over at Apple. It seems they aren't denying MobileMe->Mac = Push.

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=116

Look at "Mobile Me on my Mac" (or PC section too)

Specifically says (Sync) in quotes.

e.m.
Jul 13, 2008, 02:38 PM
Mac to the cloud push not being supported is extremely upsetting.

Although push to the Mac seems to be working (well, only somewhat; both my experience and others on this thread), this does NOT include Mail. Push mail on the Mac is non existent.

Someone else pointed this out earlier, but I wanted to point it out again.

All of this is ridiculous.

tommy125
Jul 13, 2008, 02:46 PM
:eek:This quote:
"Make a change on your computer, and MobileMe updates your iPhone automatically. Likewise, when you make a change on your iPhone, it’s instantly pushed to your computer."

The "Likewise" is comparing the computer directly with the features on the iphone, ie. instantly.

Actually not directly, "used to introduce a point similar or related to" Apple's Legal team would debate this usage. But I'm feeling your frustration.

likewise |ˈlīkˌwīz|
adverb
1 in the same way; also : the dream of young people is to grow old, and it is likewise the dream of their parents to relive youth.
• used to introduce a point similar or related to one just made : you will forget the bad things that have happened in the past. Likewise, I will forget what you have done to me.

tubagruv
Jul 13, 2008, 02:49 PM
I just found this on the discussion forums over at Apple. It seems they aren't denying MobileMe->Mac = Push.

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=116

Look at "Mobile Me on my Mac" (or PC section too)

Specifically says (Sync) in quotes.

After poring through as many Apple Discussions and documents as I can find, I can find no specific reference to a desktop platform having push capabilities. The advertising is deliberately misleading that way, and I'm as disappointed as anyone about that. Still, we now know that only iPhones (iTouches, also) and MobileMe are capable of push.

The desktop apps iCal and Address Book don't have push capabilities coded into the apps, so I don't see how they'd be able to initiate a push without specific software updates from Apple to enable them do just that. I doubt we'll ever see those updates. The development effort is clearly directed at the web apps. The desktop apps come with the machine for free, the web apps are subscription material.

Since Apple controls the apps, and clearly understands push technology, it would be easy to code iCal and Address Book to push changes to the cloud, and listen for pushed updates coming from the cloud for near-instant response. Perhaps for those of you running 10.5.4 (I'm not one of you, not yet,) that update to MobileMe on your desktop machine included more than that new icon in System Prefs. There may actually now be rudimentary support for push updates from the cloud to different apps. How well it works is clearly different for each of you, as this forum would indicate.

Apple's focus will continue to be squarely on the web apps. Rather than implement push technology for all your desktop apps, Apple would much rather see you use the web apps instead. They're designed to look and work like the desktop apps to get us off the desktop and into the cloud. Expect iCal and Address Book to languish as Apple concentrates on the web apps that all platforms can use. They may get push functionality sometime, but don't hold your breath.

jplan2008
Jul 13, 2008, 02:53 PM
O.K. First, I'm not "defending Apple" -- for a company that deals with both hardware and software, they had too many hardware and software glitches in different areas since Thursday night, and some of them are continuing. BUT let's put it in perspective:
First, the Apple support page the OP linked, talks about the issue of no push from Mac-cloud as a "symptom," so I'm not sure where the idea came from that there's "no fix coming." Maybe it will be soon, maybe in a long time, but calling it a "symptom" sounds to me like they're saying it shouldn't be this way.

As far as I know, Apple didn't start officially selling MobileMe until Friday, so new users have had it for 2 days or so, with a day of terrible web service, then all services except (from what I've read, I don't really use iWeb) iWeb publishing and push from desktop to cloud. But syncing from desktop to cloud every 15-60 minutes or manually has worked.
Old dot mac users had 24 hours of no webmail, several days of no iWeb, but now have a MUCH better web-based interface -- I'm not sure how anyone can compare it to Google's -- sign in and you have easy access to files with iDisk, galleries, mail, calendar, contacts, photo galleries and iWeb page. Gmail won't even let me make a personalized folder on-line, and doesn't have any good solution for syncing with my Mac and iPhone. I NEVER used dot mac's web interface if I could help it, and now I enjoy using MM's (now that the speed has improved). And we have double the storage that we had a week ago, now have push everything except Mac-MM, etc.
So, yes, it's been a disappointing roll-out, with more glitches than there should have been, but most services work much better than they did a week ago for me with dot mac, and new users have most of the features working. And it's only day 3, so I figure it will improve. Hopefully the new users who don't want to wait are on the free trial.
A technical question: on the web interface and on the iPhone, you have to press "save" (or something) when making a new contact or event, and I assume this instigates the push. Could the issue be that in iCal and address book, you don't, and therefore it would need constant polling to really push? If that's it, I assume a simple update to iCal and address book would solve the push issue on Macs.

xix
Jul 13, 2008, 02:56 PM
I still find MobileMe much better than .Mac and at least now I dont have to sync my iPhone all the time. Mostly I make changes on my iPhone, so it works for me!

How lovely for you!

ItsGavinC
Jul 13, 2008, 03:04 PM
How lovely for you!

It's actually lovely for all of us. I have only two complaints at this point

1) Updates on the Mac take 15 minutes to sync with Me.com/iPhone, *unless* you choose "sync now," in which case it is instant. Not a huge deal to press the extra button.

2) the bigger issue for me is that Me.com doesn't work with IE, and my IT guys won't allow me to install Safari or Firefox.

b3studios
Jul 13, 2008, 03:10 PM
Well, it seems that I am getting calendar events Pushed down from the Cloud to my iCal, but there are a few problems.
To get this to happen, I have to update an event on one Mac, then manually syc. As soon as the sync on that Mac is done, it shows up in my other Mac (and vise versa).

The main problem comes from the fact that I have to manually initiate the process. iCal/iSync set to automatically just doesn't seem to be syncing at decent intervals, certainly not every 15min.

As of right now, I updated a test event on one Mac at 3:36PM. It's not 4:07 and nothing has been sent up to the "cloud" according to system preferences > Mobile Me > Sync.

Additionally, I am unable to make changes in my web browser and have them show up in my desktop iCal because whenever I try to make a change online, there I get an error message.

How long after making a change on the old dot mac (set to automatically update) did it take to sync up?

I remember it being faster than every 15 minutes, and certainly faster than what I'm experiencing now.

EDIT:
http://gallery.me.com/hornsofglass#100273&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=0

seems that MM is now telling me that my data is invalid when I attempt a manual sync!
I've tried unregistering all the computers on my MM account and deleting the data on MM in system preferences.
All the info still shows up on the web after doing this.

Even tried resetting sync history. no go.

Willis
Jul 13, 2008, 03:18 PM
slightly annoying to say the least.

my mail doesnt like to push to my iphone. not sure why, but it doesnt.

Not doing the best of jobs at the moment Apple.

xinevil
Jul 13, 2008, 03:25 PM
I really hope Apple does implement the Mac->MobileMe Push, because now it is a little bit stupid. If I leave my PC within 15 minutes after adding something, there is a change it isn't synced, which is just unacceptable. Why have Push to and from the iPhone, and Push TO a Mac, but not from a Mac. It seems to me that checking if one of the applications used for Push (iCal, Address Book) has a change and then syncing shouldn't be that hard...

yoomy
Jul 13, 2008, 03:28 PM
it cant be that hard to fix this issue, should be done with a little update asap.

longtran
Jul 13, 2008, 03:47 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3120/2664655685_dec43787a6_o.png

hello.
has anyone encountered this? i was trying to sync iCal -> MM Cal so i can have MM 'push' to iCal but this error popped up.
looks like apple gonna have to release an update for ical soon, Address Book on Mac/iPhone/MM push fine thou.

Roller
Jul 13, 2008, 03:52 PM
The desktop apps iCal and Address Book don't have push capabilities coded into the apps, so I don't see how they'd be able to initiate a push without specific software updates from Apple to enable them do just that. I doubt we'll ever see those updates. The development effort is clearly directed at the web apps. The desktop apps come with the machine for free, the web apps are subscription material.

Since Apple controls the apps, and clearly understands push technology, it would be easy to code iCal and Address Book to push changes to the cloud, and listen for pushed updates coming from the cloud for near-instant response. Perhaps for those of you running 10.5.4 (I'm not one of you, not yet,) that update to MobileMe on your desktop machine included more than that new icon in System Prefs. There may actually now be rudimentary support for push updates from the cloud to different apps. How well it works is clearly different for each of you, as this forum would indicate.

Apple's focus will continue to be squarely on the web apps. Rather than implement push technology for all your desktop apps, Apple would much rather see you use the web apps instead. They're designed to look and work like the desktop apps to get us off the desktop and into the cloud. Expect iCal and Address Book to languish as Apple concentrates on the web apps that all platforms can use. They may get push functionality sometime, but don't hold your breath.

The Web apps will only be suitable substitutes for their desktop counterparts when they provide the same functionality. So far, for example, I haven't found any way to add an alarm to an event using the Web interface. Plus, the Web apps are considerably pokier than the ones on my Mac.

Personally, I'd be willing to pay for a third-party desktop app that combined the functions of iCal and Address Book, used the same databases as them, and initiated a sync with the cloud after any change.

In the meantime, I wonder if some of this could be accomplished using AppleScript or something similar. I've been playing around trying to write a script that would initiate a sync at some interval under 15 minutes, but I haven't found a way to trigger the Sync Now sub-menu. I'm sure that this could also be done with QuicKeys or another macro utility, but I'd rather do it without an add-on.

grempe
Jul 13, 2008, 04:36 PM
So here is another strange behavior I saw today.

Changed addressbook contact 'company name' field on desktop mac. Saved it and forced manual sync.

GOOD : Laptop mac : Sees company name change and syncs it (~15 min)

Mobile Me Web App : Still not showing updated name. (after ~ 1hour)

iPhone : Still not seeing updated name. (after ~ 1hour)

:(

Does this work for anyone else with similar setup?

scotty321
Jul 13, 2008, 04:37 PM
Apple fu**ing lied to all of us!

And they are BLATANTLY LYING ON THEIR WEBSITE IN ALL OF THEIR MARKETING & GUIDED TOUR VIDEOS!!!

If you make a change to a contact or a calendar entry on your Mac, and then you put your Mac to sleep immediately, that change will NOT BE SEEN ON ANY OTHER DEVICE because the 15-minute interval hasn't passed.

APPLE, THIS IS NOT *PUSH* CALENDAR & CONTACTS! YOU ARE LIARS!!! YOU HAVE LIED TO ALL OF US!

This is actually FALSE ADVERTISING -- does anybody smell a class action lawsuit here?

Steve Jobs, you are a LIAR!

scotty321
Jul 13, 2008, 04:40 PM
Personally, I'd be willing to pay for a third-party desktop app that combined the functions of iCal and Address Book, used the same databases as them, and initiated a sync with the cloud after any change.

Everyone, our best bet is to use BusySync http://www.busysync.com because that actually DOES WORK AS ADVERTISED as a "push" service. Apple has LIED to us all, and their service does NOT work as advertised.

chancee
Jul 13, 2008, 04:41 PM
I second that. Steve Jobs is a liar. When I think back to his keynote address and how he presented everything... so unbelievably misleading and he knows it. They won't be getting my $100

grempe
Jul 13, 2008, 04:44 PM
Everyone, our best bet is to use BusySync http://www.busysync.com because that actually DOES WORK AS ADVERTISED as a "push" service. Apple has LIED to us all, and their service does NOT work as advertised.

Ummm, except that BusySync (which I am a paying customer of) only works with calendar entries (not contacts, not email, not bookmarks), and does not work at all with sync'ing to an iPhone.

So... not so much.

NT1440
Jul 13, 2008, 04:45 PM
Apple fu**ing lied to all of us!

And they are BLATANTLY LYING ON THEIR WEBSITE IN ALL OF THEIR MARKETING & GUIDED TOUR VIDEOS!!!

If you make a change to a contact or a calendar entry on your Mac, and then you put your Mac to sleep immediately, that change will NOT BE SEEN ON ANY OTHER DEVICE because the 15-minute interval hasn't passed.

APPLE, THIS IS NOT *PUSH* CALENDAR & CONTACTS! YOU ARE LIARS!!! YOU HAVE LIED TO ALL OF US!

This is actually FALSE ADVERTISING -- does anybody smell a class action lawsuit here?

Steve Jobs, you are a LIAR!
wanna calm down there a little sluggo? Give it some time for the kinks to get worked out, its been a MASSIVE rollout for Apple.:apple:

BillyBobBongo
Jul 13, 2008, 04:48 PM
Aye....calling SJ a liar is a bit harsh. It's early days...let's see how it pans out.

ajpegg
Jul 13, 2008, 05:04 PM
Yes, at times this has been somewhat less than instant

But are you sure this isn't simply down to early teething troubles? This is the first real world test of the huge new system on a huge launch day when everyone was going to attacking the servers at the same time (which seems like madness in itself - don't know why they didn't launch MM earlier) but I am sure that after a bit of tweaking this is all going to work fine.

kameraman
Jul 13, 2008, 05:06 PM
Ok, guys, I'm just as pissed as you all here. But, a rational look at the situation will give you these facts:

The promotional literature is technically true. Yes, it sucks, and it's not tactics we'd expect from Apple, but it's true.
The support article doesn't say that push isn't coming to Desktop. Implementing desktop push is a natural, logical step, and it's one that isn't technically hard to implement.
As it is, MobileMe is more feature-complete as .Mac, and it's the same price.

What gives me most hope is iPhone's development. Remember, when it came out, it was WebApps-only? By 2.0, we have native Apps. There was no indication that this was going to happen.

If not by 10.5.5, I'm convinced we'll have full push that meets and exceeds the standard set by Exchange by 10.6. It fits perfectly with that release's mandate of "no new features, just fixes."

We're early adopters to a set of technologies that are revolutionary and novel in the context of individual consumers, just like the people who got the first generation iPhone way back when.

The kinks will be worked out. This is Apple. It's hard to see that through the anger over a cluster**** of a launch day, but I'm certain that that will be the case.

corvus
Jul 13, 2008, 05:17 PM
Dears,

I may be mistaken, but I believe "push" is to mobile devices. "Push" is no intended your desktop apps. The industry standard is SyncML---yes I know the name has changed but common usage has not---and it works mostly with mobile devices.

Yes, I know Seamonkey and Thunderbird can work with the so-called "push" function of email servers, but that is not the norm. The norm is for "push" to work with mobile devices, not desktop apps. The so-called push function between Exchange and Outlook is not really using the industry standard.

Push is available on the iPhone. That is what Apple promised. Period. I don't use Thunderbird or Sea Monkey, so don't know if push works with those clients. But the business reality is this, if you need to be notified on your desktop more often than is allowed by the IMAP server, then you need to change to a different type of communications for that message---say, a telephone.

j763
Jul 13, 2008, 05:18 PM
$99 can be better spent.

ortuno2k
Jul 13, 2008, 05:23 PM
I've been noticing some discrepancies like the ones that have been mentioned before in this long thread, but I'm still giving Apple a few days to iron things out.
Otherwise, this will be a TRUE SCAM and a lie to us MacHeads and followers.
False advertising.
MobileMe is what got my girlfriend to get an iPhone. Gladly, she purchased MobileMe but is using a 60-day trial in the meantime.
THIS SUCKS.

canyonblue737
Jul 13, 2008, 05:23 PM
Ok, guys, I'm just as pissed as you all here. But, a rational look at the situation will give you these facts:

The promotional literature is technically true. Yes, it sucks, and it's not tactics we'd expect from Apple, but it's true.
The support article doesn't say that push isn't coming to Desktop. Implementing desktop push is a natural, logical step, and it's one that isn't technically hard to implement.

What gives me most hope is iPhone's development. Remember, when it came out, it was WebApps-only? By 2.0, we have native Apps. There was no indication that this was going to happen.

If not by 10.5.5, I'm convinced we'll have full push that meets and exceeds the standard set by Exchange by 10.6. It fits perfectly with that release's mandate of "no new features, just fixes."

We're early adopters to a set of technologies that are revolutionary and novel in the context of individual consumers, just like the people who got the first generation iPhone way back when.

The kinks will be worked out. This is Apple. It's hard to see that through the anger over a cluster**** of a launch day, but I'm certain that that will be the case.

kameraman: i, unlike many on this forum, am fully willing to give apple time to fix kinks with launching mobileme and bugs related to push. that said, this appears to not be a bug at all, but rather a blatantly missing feature which flies in the face of every word from steve jobs and his employees during the WWDC conference and keynote video (still available via apple.com or itunes) and in the apple.com mobileme demo videos and in the text advertising of the service on apple.com all of which have never been changed or modified to this very second which is inexcusable. i am not paying $100 dollars a year for a push service that doesn't push from all my equipment and i sure as heck am not waiting for snow leapoard in 18 months for another $125 to fix this mess.

if it was a problem with the roll out... i can be patient, but this isn't a problem... IT IS A LIE.

Hands0n
Jul 13, 2008, 05:26 PM
$99 can be better spent.

Oh for goodness sake - get a grip people. If you don't want to spend $99 on MobileMe then don't. It really is that simple. Hey, if you're that miffed with Steve Jobs and Apple, well, you could always migrate to Vista!

Back on topic
It occurs to me that MobileMe is not Mac OS X software at all (there has not been a specific update for it apart from cosmetic) but rather a service on the web and iPhone software. The push is all to do with the MobileMe and the iPhone. I'm struggling to find any Apple reference that says anywhere that Push is part of the Mac OS X components. Even when you look at the .Mac/MobileMe Prefernces Panel in OS X it quite clearly says "Sync" not "Push".

bijou
Jul 13, 2008, 05:29 PM

Mac ---> MobileMe = sync
MobileMe ---> Mac = push

No iPhone for me, but this is how it's working between my MBP and MobileMe:

Mac --->MobileMe = sync
MobileMe ---> Mac = push

Have been testing it numerous times today with contacts and iCal with consistent results.

danny_w
Jul 13, 2008, 05:49 PM

Mac --->MobileMe = sync
MobileMe ---> Mac = push

Have been testing it numerous times today with contacts and iCal with consistent results.
That's the way it appears to me too, but the calendar web app just dies so I can no longer test that part of it.

groovmon
Jul 13, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hey, I've got an idea. Let's consider what "push" means compared to, let's say, "pull".

Push would seem to me to push information to your computer (or iphone, or cloud)

Pull would be more normal (click a button, pull info from a server)

How is what MM is offering not "push". When do you have to pull anything, ever. On your mac, new info is pushed to your machine from the cloud. When you make changes on the computer, click sync, and what happens? Not just a mere sync, on no. All your new changes are "pushed" to all your other devices and computers.

Somebody give me an example (assuming no tech glitches) where you ever have to "pull" to get new information on any device.

j763
Jul 13, 2008, 05:55 PM
Oh for goodness sake - get a grip people. If you don't want to spend $99 on MobileMe then don't. It really is that simple. Hey, if you're that miffed with Steve Jobs and Apple, well, you could always migrate to Vista!

I haven't spent $99 on MobileMe and can't see any reason to. I'm not complaining about it - I just understand why people who have spent the money would be frustrated. I like my new iPhone: it works as advertised. I personally don't see the appeal of MM -- you need to plug the iPhone into a charger quite often, why not plug it into the computer and let it sync? But if you've spent $99 for instant syncing "exchange for the rest of us", and it's not properly implemented... and some of the other advertised features are absent (like file sharing), then I think you have every right to complain. I thought they might have finally fixed the (bizarrely named) "dotMac" service, but apparently not... btw, does anyone remember the good ol' iTools days? That actually worked properly and was free just like gmail, google docs, hotmail, and all the other online services... and was good PR for Apple.

tarasis
Jul 13, 2008, 06:14 PM
Yes, this is what I have observed also. Update in MobileMe will kick off sync on Macbook right away. So I guess that should be considered push.

I think part of the answer here is your network setup. I never see Push to my Mac for Bookmarks, Cals or Contacts but there are no external ports directed to my Mac even Back To My Mac in MobileMe prefs stats I need to use a router that supports NAT-PMP or UPnP.

What is your setup like?

tarasis
Jul 13, 2008, 06:17 PM

Mac --->MobileMe = sync
MobileMe ---> Mac = push

Again I am curious what router are you using? In the prefs for MobileMe, goto the Back To My Mac page. What colour light do you have for the service? (assuming you have it turned on).

cocky jeremy
Jul 13, 2008, 06:23 PM
I currently have a PC (yuck.. i know. the 3.06ghz iMac is coming soon) but everything seems to be pushing on mine. Maybe it's only Macs and not PC's having the push issues with MobileMe?

SlapMonkey
Jul 13, 2008, 06:34 PM

Well said.

Hey, I've got an idea. Let's consider what "push" means compared to, let's say, "pull".

Push would seem to me to push information to your computer (or iphone, or cloud)

Pull would be more normal (click a button, pull info from a server)

How is what MM is offering not "push". When do you have to pull anything, ever. On your mac, new info is pushed to your machine from the cloud. When you make changes on the computer, click sync, and what happens? Not just a mere sync, on no. All your new changes are "pushed" to all your other devices and computers.

Somebody give me an example (assuming no tech glitches) where you ever have to "pull" to get new information on any device.

Ahh, I think you've hit the nail on the head. So many people here are so quick to call Steve Jobs and Apple a liar without actually understanding the technology involved. But you are 100% right. It would be different if we were somehow sitting in the MobileMe cloud and having to "pull" the data from a desktop Mac, but that isn't case.

I think everyone needs to step back and really examine what is going on here and what MobileMe is actually all about (from what I can see, everything works just as it should and just as promised.)

bijou
Jul 13, 2008, 06:41 PM
Again I am curious what router are you using? In the prefs for MobileMe, goto the Back To My Mac page. What colour light do you have for the service? (assuming you have it turned on).

Using the AEBSn with gigabit, the light is green and status is ON.

danny_w
Jul 13, 2008, 06:43 PM
Well said.

Ahh, I think you've hit the nail on the head. So many people here are so quick to call Steve Jobs and Apple a liar without actually understanding the technology involved. But you are 100% right. It would be different if we were somehow sitting in the MobileMe cloud and having to "pull" the data from a desktop Mac, but that isn't case.

I think everyone needs to step back and really examine what is going on here and what MobileMe is actually all about (from what I can see, everything works just as it should and just as promised.)
The problem with this is that no amount of "pulling" from the iPhone will get you a new contact or appointment that has been made on your desktop. So technically no, you don't have to "pull" to get it, but that is a non-statement in this case.

groovmon
Jul 13, 2008, 06:45 PM
The problem with this is that no amount of "pulling" from the iPhone will get you a new contact or appointment that has been made on your desktop. So technically no, you don't have to "pull" to get it, but that is a non-statement in this case.

huh?

When you've made your contact on your mac, click SYNC. It'll push to your iPhone, instantly.

tallyho
Jul 13, 2008, 06:46 PM
Except the implication from the keynote and marketing was that if you add a calendar event on your mac, it will be instantly pushed to all your devices. The technicality was that this is true only if you add it using the web app at me.com...but then in that case why also advertise the "works with desktop apps you already use" angle? Blatantly there has been a deception here.

grempe
Jul 13, 2008, 06:48 PM
Apple Says:

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/

Push email. Push contacts. Push calendar.

"MobileMe stores all your email, contacts, and calendars in the cloud and pushes them down to your iPhone, iPod touch, Mac, and PC. When you make a change on one device, the cloud updates the others. Push happens automatically, instantly, and continuously. You don’t have to wait for it or remember to do anything — such as docking your iPhone and syncing manually — to stay up to date."

Emphasis is mine and this clearly implies that a change made on ANY device is pushed to any other "instantly and continuously". This does not reflect current behavior.

groovmon
Jul 13, 2008, 06:51 PM
Apple Says:

"MobileMe stores all your email, contacts, and calendars in the cloud and pushes them down to your iPhone, iPod touch, Mac, and PC. When you make a change on one device, the cloud updates the others. Push happens automatically, instantly, and continuously. You don’t have to wait for it or remember to do anything — such as docking your iPhone and syncing manually — to stay up to date."

Emphasis is mine and this clearly implies that a change made on ANY device is pushed to any other "instantly and continuously". This does not reflect current behavior.

Everyone agrees, hit sync. Problem solved.

clevin
Jul 13, 2008, 06:55 PM

of course everything can be solved if you take some workarounds, that doesn't change the fact that apple made false ads and misled users.

Its fine you want to forgive apple, but thats not the point, isn't it?

danny_w
But it clearly says that manual syncing is not required.

southerndoc
Some of the people complaining here need some Valium or Ativan. Seriously, let's all act like adults.

The service has been operational for all of 4 days. Give it time. It might take one or two months to iron out the kinks.

If you don't like the MobileMe service, then get your money back. You can do the same with the iPhone.

This isn't a perfect world. Things don't happen with precision 100% of the time.

clevin
Jul 13, 2008, 06:57 PM
The service has been operational for all of 4 days. Give it time. It might take one or two months to iron out the kinks.

:p one or two month vs. instant sync

isn't it ironic?

Plus, this is not a bug that can be ironed out. This is a non-existing function.

southerndoc
Jul 13, 2008, 06:59 PM
:p one or two month vs. instant sync

isn't it ironic?

Plus, this is not a bug that can be ironed out. This is a non-existing function.

Right, it will require an OS X software update to fix. Hence the reason I don't see it happening within the next month.

macDonalds
Jul 13, 2008, 07:01 PM
Some of the people complaining here need some Valium or Ativan. Seriously, let's all act like adults.

If you don't like the MobileMe service, then get your money back. You can do the same with the iPhone.

This isn't a perfect world. Things don't happen with precision 100% of the time.

One or two months? That's not acceptable for what MobileMe really is: a business service. I can't sit here and scratch my head for two months wondering if I'm missing emails and I need to check manually because their service is poop.

themightyspitz
Jul 13, 2008, 07:06 PM
Wow....I just got back from a weekend out, and now I see all this. And I was honestly considering MobileMe because of automatically pushed Calendars, Contacts, and Mail. Hell, that's what they had that whole entire guide through.

Shame....had so much potential for success.

southerndoc
Jul 13, 2008, 07:07 PM
One or two months? That's not acceptable for what MobileMe really is: a business service. I can't sit here and scratch my head for two months wondering if I'm missing emails and I need to check manually because their service is poop.

If your business emails are that time sensitive, then it sounds like you need to purchase an Exchange service.

MobileMe is "Exchange for the rest of us," not "Exchange for the small business person."

mrougeux
Jul 13, 2008, 07:07 PM
I want to add my frustration to the highly misleading marketing of mobile me. Changes from my laptop to my desktop are NOT pushed. That is absolutely untrue. They are simply synced just like before. Incredible that they could be so misleading to their consumer base.

macDonalds
Jul 13, 2008, 07:08 PM
Wow....I just got back from a weekend out, and now I see all this. And I was honestly considering MobileMe because of automatically pushed Calendars, Contacts, and Mail. Hell, that's what they had that whole entire guide through.

Shame....had so much potential for success.

Yez, and now all MobileMe is good for... IS FOR ME TO POOP ON!

http://mynameisearlkress.com/weblog/triumph01.jpg

macDonalds
Jul 13, 2008, 07:09 PM
If your business emails are that time sensitive, then it sounds like you need to purchase an Exchange service.

MobileMe is "Exchange for the rest of us," not "Exchange for the small business person."

I might actually look into that.

But really, who's "the rest of us"? Seems like people that don't need push service :)

tallyho
Jul 13, 2008, 07:15 PM

You simply can not be serious :confused: Who do you think "the rest of us" are? And surely the issue, given the lack of push from the desktop apps, is that MobileMe is NOT exchange at all, nevermind "for the rest of us"

thornrag
Jul 13, 2008, 07:23 PM
I liked it better when the Mac's obscurity limited the concentration of prissy self-righteous vitriol among its user community, before there were so many people using the Mac as if to prove to everyone else why it's a mistake, coming into forums to discard a huge swath of benefits for the sake of the smallest complaint sufficient to get red in the face.

Fine, it's not instant. Fine, it doesn't read anyone's mind. But hey, syncing all your information *at all* between three separate platforms, out of the box, still pretty freakin great. Now my Macs, PCs, and Phone all have the same set of contacts and events, even if they're delayed by up to 15 minutes. It still happens *eventually*, and without any user intervention on my part.

What, was it better when you had no communication between the various systems? Better to use Entourage on your Mac and have to sync your Blackberry to your PC because the Mac software sucks? Better to wait until you could get back to your computer and plug it into USB, better to have to stop and think about when to do that every time?

Well, enjoy. As far as I'm concerned, screw all that.

If it sucks so bad, if it pisses you off enough to start threatening BS legal action (without even knowing the law), maybe you should go back to something less threatening, like pen and paper. There are still plenty of people whose realistic expectations are more than satisfied by the service.

So, yes, the heads-up is reasonable, and thanks for the word. But maybe you should see your doctor about your blood pressure.

groovmon
Jul 13, 2008, 07:24 PM
But it clearly says that manual syncing is not required.

I get it. It says one thing but you have to push a button to make it work. All I'm saying is if you want the cool feature set that this service has, hit sync. There! I guess people can call it a work-around if they want. It's a pretty easy work around isn't it.

btw - I'm not trying to get into semantics here. But it says "such as docking your iPhone and syncing manually". That seems like they could mean syncing by docking your iPhone. I don't know. I'm just saying thing works. That's all. You can have any change you make anywhere to be everywhere else, instantly. I agree, not automatically, but instantly.

Agathon
Jul 13, 2008, 07:27 PM
I liked it better when the Mac's obscurity limited the concentration of prissy self-righteous vitriol among its user community, before there were so many people using the Mac as if to prove to everyone else why it's a mistake, coming into forums to discard a huge swath of benefits for the sake of the smallest complaint sufficient to get red in the face.

Fine, it's not instant. Fine, it doesn't read anyone's mind. But hey, syncing all your information *at all* between three separate platforms, out of the box, still pretty freakin great. Now my Macs, PCs, and Phone all have the same set of contacts and events, even if they're delayed by up to 15 minutes. It still happens *eventually*, and without any user intervention on my part.

What, was it better when you had no communication between the various systems? Better to use Entourage on your Mac and have to sync your Blackberry to your PC because the Mac software sucks? Better to wait until you could get back to your computer and plug it into USB, better to have to stop and think about when to do that every time?

Well, enjoy. As far as I'm concerned, screw all that.

If it sucks so bad, if it pisses you off enough to start threatening BS legal action (without even knowing the law), maybe you should go back to something less threatening, like pen and paper. There are still plenty of people whose realistic expectations are more than satisfied by the service.

So, yes, the heads-up is reasonable, and thanks for the word. But maybe you should see your doctor about your blood pressure.

Get a clue.

If Apple had advertised this service honestly, there would be no problem. They didn't. Thus, like any other corporation, they deserve to get sued.

groovmon
Jul 13, 2008, 07:30 PM
Get a clue.

If Apple had advertised this service honestly, there would be no problem. They didn't. Thus, like any other corporation, they deserve to get sued.

Sue 'em. I'll sit back and watch my contacts from my computer show up on my iphone.

tallyho
Jul 13, 2008, 07:31 PM
It still happens *eventually*,
Haha yeah thanks for that awesome post. Because that;s exactly what Phil Schiller said in the keynote isn't it?
"It does manual syncing or kind of automatic syncing *eventually*. Now buy MobileMe"

actually, hold on a minute, didn't he say stuff about it being instant and automatic?:rolleyes:

Gantunes
Jul 13, 2008, 07:32 PM
Why the push doesnt work for me from ME to my Macbook with automatic synchro ? :(

SlapMonkey
Jul 13, 2008, 07:37 PM
Apple Says:

Reread the parts YOU bolded. THE CLOUD is what pushes everything to all of your devices. It clearly states, you make a change on your device (i.e., your Mac) THE CLOUD pushes it to all other devices. And the part about not having to wait for it [again, THE CLOUD] or remember to do anything such as docking or syncing, again, true. Once it's in the Cloud, it will be pushed to all devices. Nothing misleading here, works exactly as they state it and if you all are reading more into it, then that's your problem, just don't buy it. Simple as that.

Works exactly as I understood it and I am enjoying the benefits of it.

southerndoc
Jul 13, 2008, 07:42 PM
I might actually look into that.

But really, who's "the rest of us"? Seems like people that don't need push service :)

Right, the majority of us don't NEED push service. Quite frankly, the majority of business customers don't NEED push service. Very little things are so time sensitive that they truly need push technology. I'm a physician, and even the most critical information often will not affect outcome if delayed by 5 minutes.

The "Exchange for the rest of us" was mentioned during a keynote speech if I remember correctly.

Agathon
Jul 13, 2008, 07:47 PM
Sue 'em. I'll sit back and watch my contacts from my computer show up on my iphone.

Why not just stop posting, since you appear to think that your personal preferences make some differences to the issue Apple's false advertising.

They don't. Get a clue.

macDonalds
Jul 13, 2008, 07:51 PM

Ok, but make sure you manually hit the sync button on the menu or else it won't happen. :D

groovmon
Why not just stop posting, since you appear to think that your personal preferences make some differences to the issue Apple's false advertising.

They don't. Get a clue.

I appear to think exactly what i said. Why be nasty? Maybe you should sue me too.

fdot
well for me, right now if i create a contact on my phone. it shows up on my computer before it does on me.com... anything you do on the web or your phone is showing up on your computer fast... so half of its working.. give them about 24 hours and i bet you see another mobile me update

macDonalds
Jul 13, 2008, 07:52 PM
Right, the majority of us don't NEED push service. Quite frankly, the majority of business customers don't NEED push service. Very little things are so time sensitive that they truly need push technology. I'm a physician, and even the most critical information often will not affect outcome if delayed by 5 minutes.

The "Exchange for the rest of us" was mentioned during a keynote speech if I remember correctly.

Right, it's not needed, it's a nicety. For me personally though, the fetch feature for iPhone has been sketchy at best. THAT's where push really comes into play for me.

I'll pay $99/yr so I don't have to keep manually pulling down my emails once an hour because the fetch isn't working.

SlapMonkey
Jul 13, 2008, 07:52 PM

They don't. Get a clue.

Wrong! No false advertising here, as I stated previously and again below, you guys are all reading into it the wrong way and making your own assumptions.

Reread the parts YOU bolded. THE CLOUD is what pushes everything to all of your devices. It clearly states, you make a change on your device (i.e., your Mac) THE CLOUD pushes it to all other devices. And the part about not having to wait for it [again, THE CLOUD] or remember to do anything such as docking or syncing, again, true. Once it's in the Cloud, it will be pushed to all devices. Nothing misleading here, works exactly as they state it and if you all are reading more into it, then that's your problem, just don't buy it. Simple as that.

groovmon
Jul 13, 2008, 07:53 PM
Ok, but make sure you manually hit the sync button on the menu or else it won't happen. :D

hahaha that is true. But I think i'll live.

danny_w
Jul 13, 2008, 07:57 PM
Before everybody gets all excited about email being pushed to your iPhone, do a little test. I have always had amy 1st gen phone set to manual email checking, and my battery would last on average about 3-4 days with light use. Since I updated to 2.0 and set email to use Push, I get less than a day. I just set it back to manual and will see how long it lasts. If Push means my battery life goes from 3-4 days down to under a day, I think I can live without it.

Adult Human
Jul 13, 2008, 07:58 PM
And look how fantastic the ability to have up to date information every fifteen minutes without any effort from the user. It really is awesome and I am perfectly pleased with MobileMe. In case some of you haven't noticed, every new generation of devices or technology addresses the needs of the previous generation. Does anyone believe that instant updates for all devices won't be the status quo in a matter of time?

As far as Apple goes, there will always be a certain number of customers that will be unhappy. Hyper nerds, tech geeks, run of the mill s**theads and **********, they will complain no matter what. Why waste time dealing with someone that simply will not be satisfied?

Not having to start iTunes every time I want to sync my calendars is reason enough to love MobileMe.

Grow up, get some perspective.

macDonalds
Jul 13, 2008, 07:59 PM
Before everybody gets all excited about email being pushed to your iPhone, do a little test. I have always had amy 1st gen phone set to manual email checking, and my battery would last on average about 3-4 days with light use. Since I updated to 2.0 and set email to use Push, I get less than a day. I just set it back to manual and will see how long it lasts. If Push means my battery life goes from 3-4 days down to under a day, I think I can live without it.

Has amy called and asked for her phone back yet?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

fdot
Jul 13, 2008, 08:47 PM
If you select "Automatically", changes made on your computer may not immediately sync to MobileMe.

jdeitch
Jul 13, 2008, 08:54 PM
I completely agree. The video clearly implied that all operations were push.

And let's be honest, we all thought that, didn't we? We were all lead to believe by the video that everything would be instantly pushed. That's what sold it for me. And now many users have paid money on the basis of that information.

Now it turns out that users find that many operations do not push instantly, as was implied by the video. If it's not a current fault or something, then at least one of the apparent push operations on the video must have been a faked sync.

If this is true, it's really very shameful for Apple.

It's not just in the video, it is cleary stated on the MobileMe Features page. Read the text under "Push email. Push contacts, Push calendar."

Personally, I think they planned to push everything, but haven't gotten it to work yet.

jc1350
Jul 13, 2008, 08:54 PM

to add to what your typed, I would say email should never be "critical." The very nature of email could delay reception by days. I've used email enough since 1992 to see email message get delivered sometimes more than a week late. You have no control over what systems the message passes through between sender and receiver and if any of those systems have a problem, that could delay the message (I'm referencing Internet email, btw, not email to people on the same email server/cluster).

FoxyApple
Jul 13, 2008, 08:56 PM

ok i got mobileme up an running (sort of) when you say cloud what do you mean? if i log into mobile me web page, anything i do there changes on my iphone within 5 minutes.
email is finally pushing.

so is there a cloud gui or is it just what we are calling the mobile me?

chris3g
Jul 13, 2008, 09:04 PM
I think part of the answer here is your network setup. I never see Push to my Mac for Bookmarks, Cals or Contacts but there are no external ports directed to my Mac even Back To My Mac in MobileMe prefs stats I need to use a router that supports NAT-PMP or UPnP.

What is your setup like?

i believe this is the reason it works for some people and not for others. I have mobileme-to-mac push working on 2 macs and i've noticed a number of uPnP entries in my router for both IP addresses.

SlapMonkey
Jul 13, 2008, 09:05 PM
It's not just in the video, it is cleary stated on the MobileMe Features page. Read the text under "Push email. Push contacts, Push calendar."

Personally, I think they planned to push everything, but haven't gotten it to work yet.

Yes, exactly, read your own attachment, THE CLOUD will push email, contacts and calendar to all of your devices and that is EXACTLY how it is working. People here are complaining that a change they make on their Mac isn't automatically "pushed" to the Cloud, but Apple doesn't state that it works this way ANYWHERE. People are just assuming it should. But once it's in the Cloud, it DOES get pushed to all devices.

ok i got mobileme up an running (sort of) when you say cloud what do you mean? if i log into mobile me web page, anything i do there changes on my iphone within 5 minutes.
email is finally pushing.

so is there a cloud gui or is it just what we are calling the mobile me?

The Cloud is the MoblieMe "exchange" server whose frontend (for users) is the me.com web interface. Anything changed in this Cloud (server/ web interface) is pushed. Anything changed on your Mac or PC must be synced up to this Cloud and the Cloud will push to your iPhone and any other devices without you having to "sync" those devices.

And for me, anything I change at me.com (email, contacts, calendar) gets pushed instantly to my iPhone (not 5 minutes, not even more than 5 seconds), so make sure you have your iPhone set to Push and not Fetch.

fdot
Jul 13, 2008, 09:07 PM
why cant we change it so that your comp syncs every 5 minutes?

FoxyApple
Yes, exactly, read your own attachment, THE CLOUD will push email, contacts and calendar to all of your devices and that is EXACTLY how it is working. People here are complaining that a change they make on their Mac isn't automatically "pushed" to the Cloud, but Apple doesn't state that it works this way ANYWHERE. People are just assuming it should. But once it's in the Cloud, it DOES get pushed to all devices.

The Cloud is the MoblieMe "exchange" server whose frontend (for users) is the me.com web interface. Anything changed in this Cloud (server, web interface) is pushed. Anything changed on your Mac or PC must be synced up to this Cloud and the Cloud will push to your iPhone and any other devices without you having to "sync" those devices.

THanks for the info.

clevin
The Cloud is the MoblieMe "exchange" server whose frontend (for users) is the me.com web interface. Anything changed in this Cloud (server, web interface) is pushed. Anything changed on your Mac or PC must be synced up to this Cloud and the Cloud will push to your iPhone and any other devices without you having to "sync" those devices.

then how did so many users got wrong impression?

I guess its apple's PR misled people, thats apple's own fault, can't blame users.

SlapMonkey
Jul 13, 2008, 09:11 PM
then how did so many users got wrong impression?

I guess its apple's PR misled people, thats apple's own fault, can't blame users.

Sure you can blame the [ignorant] users... why did so many people vote for George Bush a second time when he was clearly wrong the first time around?

You guys have all the data in front of you and yet you are reading way more into it than what it actually says. Talk about wishful thinking; at least a couple of times here I've seen people quote the Apple site saying "The Cloud Pushes to All Devices" and then the user here says, "See it clearly states I can push my Mac to all devices with out syncing!" No it doesn't! It clearly states that the Cloud does the pushing. Period.

CrazEtooN
Jul 13, 2008, 09:12 PM
There was no false advertising. Go watch the WWDC unveiling and then go watch the walk through video. Watch them closely.

I want you to come back and tell me a time point during either video where they say that data is pushed from a desktop/laptop computer to the Cloud. If you actually listen to it all, you won't be able to find such a time because it was never said.

The only true push that was spoken about was FROM the CLOUD down to the desktop, and between the iPhone and the Cloud. They never actually said there is push from a desktop UP to the Cloud.

Even when they talk about making changes on the desktop, they simply say that the changes will also be "sent" to the cloud and pushed to other devices. They didn't say it would be pushed to the cloud, they said it would be pushed FROM the cloud. See the difference?

Now, reference what was said in the video to your real usage...

-Make a change on the iPhone and it pushes within seconds to the Cloud.
-Make a change on the Cloud and it pushes within seconds to the iPhone and to your desktop/laptop. (This is still sporadic with desktop/laptops, but I attribute that to it being so new. I have changed calendar entries and had them instantly show up on my desktop, but I have also changed them and had them show up 10 minutes later. Because it has shown up instantly, my better sense tells me that once the kinks are worked out over the next few weeks, this will be the norm)
-Make a change to a contact or calendar on your desktop, and it will go up to the Cloud on a schedule, however, once it hits the cloud, it instantly pushes to your iPhone, or OTHER desktop/laptop.

Aside from a few minor interface bugs that are most likely going to be worked out, everything I have experienced has been the same as what was demoed and advertised.

I think some of you are really making mountains out of molehills.

clevin
Jul 13, 2008, 09:15 PM
Sure you can blame the [ignorant] users... why did so many people vote for George Bush a second time when he was clearly wrong the first time around?

Well, so you blame "ignorant voters" rather than misleading campaign of GOP? Glad to know that.:p

You can't do nothing with end users, what you can do is try to be clear and honest and help them make right choices even when they are "ignorant", like google, like mozilla, like Ubuntu, like KDE, like Unix, like W3C.

What you don't do, is to try every possible way to take advantage of the end-users "ignorant". Thats just low. And thats what apple did.

chris3g
Jul 13, 2008, 09:17 PM
it just seems like a such a trivial thing to add. A small update to ical and address book that triggers a sync whenever a change is made is all that is really needed. Being that apple didn't do this, i wonder if they have some other plan to be implemented later for the desktop apps?

fdot
Jul 13, 2008, 09:19 PM
yeah snow leopard...
cant we do this ourselves?

jdeitch
Jul 13, 2008, 09:22 PM

The Cloud is the MoblieMe "exchange" server whose frontend (for users) is the me.com web interface. Anything changed in this Cloud (server/ web interface) is pushed. Anything changed on your Mac or PC must be synced up to this Cloud and the Cloud will push to your iPhone and any other devices without you having to "sync" those devices.

And for me, anything I change at me.com (email, contacts, calendar) gets pushed instantly to my iPhone (not 5 minutes, not even more than 5 seconds), so make sure you have your iPhone set to Push and not Fetch.

It seems pretty clear to me:

michaelsaxon
Jul 13, 2008, 09:25 PM
For the last few days, I've thought the service was just buggy. I've been putting test calendar events in with my MBP and MP and waiting for an update on my iPhone... nothing... then I mess with sync setting... nothing...

Definitely not what I perceived to be the case from the Keynote and the web site.

fdot
Jul 13, 2008, 09:29 PM
it works fine
awesome i never have to plug my phone in.... awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3gbHL65N3g

SlapMonkey
Jul 13, 2008, 09:47 PM
It seems pretty clear to me:

Exactly what I've been saying:

"When you make a change on one device THE CLOUD updates the others. Push happens automatically, instantly and continuously."

Why is that so difficult for people to understand? Why are they reading it as "If I make a change on my Mac, it should push to the Cloud instantly." It doesn't say that AT ALL! The Cloud does the Pushing to the devices instantly.

Let me spell it out one more time since there is obviously a major comprehension problem on this forum:

"When you make a change on one device THE CLOUD, NOT THE MAC, updates the other devices VIA PUSH, FROM THE CLOUD!" "Push happens automatically, instantly and continuously FROM THE CLOUD!!! NOT THE MAC!"

danny_w
Jul 13, 2008, 09:55 PM

"When you make a change on one device THE CLOUD updates the others." [via push] "Push happens automatically, instantly and continuously."

Why is that so difficult for people to understand? Why are they reading it as "If I make a change on my Mac, it should push to the Cloud instantly." It doesn't say that AT ALL! The Cloud does the Pushing to the devices instantly.

Let me spell it out one more time since there is obviously a major comprehension problem on this forum:

"When you make a change on one device THE CLOUD, NOT THE MAC, updates the other devices." "Push happens automatically, instantly and continuously FROM THE CLOUD!!! NOT THE MAC!"
This is certainly one way to look at it, but the CLOUD is NOT the only think that pushes, so your constantly bringing this up is fruitless. Make a change on the iPhone and it PUSHES TO THE CLOUD. All we are saying is that if the iPhone PUSHES, why can't the desktop (with considerably more power and not relying on a puny battery) PUSH?

SlapMonkey
Jul 13, 2008, 10:03 PM
This is certainly one way to look at it, but the CLOUD is NOT the only think that pushes, so your constantly bringing this up is fruitless. Make a change on the iPhone and it PUSHES TO THE CLOUD. All we are saying is that if the iPhone PUSHES, why can't the desktop (with considerably more power and not relying on a puny battery) PUSH?

Wrong! Not one way to look at it, the verbatim and factual way. And that's not all that people are saying. I am specifically quoting those who are quoting Apple, then completely interpreting it wrong.

Again, Apple site says:

"When you make a change on one device THE CLOUD updates the others. Push happens automatically, instantly and continuously."

Some of you guys are reading it as:

"When I make a change on my Mac it should instantly push to the Cloud."

That's like saying if Apple printed: "1+1=2" you guys would complain "Apple promised us 4 items, a 1 a + another 1 and an =, so why do we only get 2 when we should be getting 4!" :rolleyes:

jdeitch
Jul 13, 2008, 10:08 PM

"When you make a change on one device THE CLOUD, NOT THE MAC, updates the other devices VIA PUSH, FROM THE CLOUD!" "Push happens automatically, instantly and continuously FROM THE CLOUD!!! NOT THE MAC!"

Yes, it is perfectly clear that the cloud pushes changes to the other devices. However if the cloud is going to "automatically, instantly and continuously" push a change made on one device to the others, the cloud itself would have to be updated "automatically, instantly and continuously" whenever a change is made.

danny_w
Jul 13, 2008, 10:10 PM
Wrong! Not one way to look at it, the verbatim and factual way. And that's not all that people are saying. I am specifically quoting those who are quoting Apple, then completely interpreting it wrong.

Again, Apple site says:

Some of you guys are reading it as:

"When I make a change on my Mac it should instantly push to the Cloud."

That's like saying if Apple printed: "1+1=2" you guys would complain "Apple promised us 4 items, a 1 a + another 1 and an +, so why do we only get 2 when we should be getting 4!" :rolleyes:
Just calm down and think reasonably for a second. When you make a change on the iPhone it appears in the CLOUD and on your desktop. Certainly the CLOUD pushed it to the desktop, but where did it get the data to push? The CLOUD did not PUSH the data from the iPhone to the CLOUD (maybe it PULLED it?). You are categorically stating that only the CLOUD pushes, which is just simply not correct.

SlapMonkey
Jul 13, 2008, 10:19 PM
Just calm down and think reasonably for a second. When you make a change on the iPhone it appears in the CLOUD and on your desktop. Certainly the CLOUD pushed it to the desktop, but where did it get the data to push? The CLOUD did not PUSH the data from the iPhone to the CLOUD (maybe it PULLED it?). You are categorically stating that only the CLOUD pushes, which is just simply not correct.

No, again, try to comprehend; I am not categorically stating or saying anything, I am quoting Apple's site and saying that there is no false advertising going on here. They [Apple] states that the Cloud does the instant Pushing. People here are complaining that the Mac doesn't instantly push and are calling it false advertising... and I am saying these ignorant users have a major comprehension problem. That's all I'm saying.

The fact that the iPhone is pushing to the Cloud may be an unexpected added bonus, but that's not what I am talking about here. And I am perfectly calm and reasonable, but obviously had to write some sections in large and bold print to help people comprehend what they have missed over and over again.