Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Having tried unsuccessfully with an invisible shield for my 3G iPhone (it looked awful!), I decided to take the plunge and get a case. I've never put a case on any of my Apple devices, as I've always found them to be ugly and added too much bulk. However, I was getting obsessive about fingerprints on the back of my shiny new black iPhone, so decided to look into cases. In the end, I settled on the Griffin Elan Form case and I have to say I am very, very impressed with it. It fits snugly without adding much bulk to the phone, feels good in the hand and has great access to all the ports. It also has a polycarbonate front so you get some protection for the screen. You can even slide the bottom off to put the phone into a dock if you decide to get one. The only downside for some will be that it is leather over polycarbonate, so won't be suitable for vegetarians / vegans but beyond that I'd recommend it highly

I've included a few pictures of the case:

Attachments

• DSC_6154.jpg
    DSC_6154.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 588
  • DSC_6152.jpg
    DSC_6152.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC_6149.jpg
    DSC_6149.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC_6150.jpg
    DSC_6150.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC_6151.jpg
    DSC_6151.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 343

BobboZR2

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
I have to agree with you 100%. I had this case waiting for the iPhone before I even got the phone. As soon as I got home the other day, in went the 3G. The case screams class. I totally dig the leather (who knows, it could be "pleather") and it compliments the leather earpiece of my Jawbone 2. I highly recommend this case. :)

winstano

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2005
I got one of these yesterday :) Brilliant case...

Those in the UK, the Carphone Warehouse are stocking them

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

picked it up at the local Carphone warehouse: at £19.98 it's not the cheapest case but definitely worth the money

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
OK - so this is a HARD case with leather on top. Is it super snug? Cuz the problem with some of these is they often allow crap under that wears away at the phone.

I'm wondering how much bulk it adds vs. say the old Incase 'protective case' (rubber) type. Or the Incase Slider.

Further, if you put it in your pocket, does it slide in/out nicely or get 'stuck' like the rubber types?

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
That's pretty snazzy looking. However, I can't wait for either the Agent 18 EcoShield or the Incase Slider. I have the white phone, so I want a glossy white hard case so that it will protect without changing the look. I had the white Incase slider for my 1st gen phone and it was really sexy, made it look a lot like the 3G white, minus the shape of course...

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I'd be interested to know if it scratches the chrome bezel and the plastic back if you slide it on and off. I love the look of this case and almost picked it up, but didn't want to risk scratching up my iPhone.

I also don't like added bulk to my phone. I had an Agent 18 EcoShield and hated it because it added too much to the phone.

lilwife

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
it looks like it is part of the case. It looks nice now, I wonder if over time the screen turns yellow?

Nightrider55

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Could I see pics of the inside of the case? Is it just hard plastic? Im thinking about getting it but dont wont some thing that will destroy my iphone with scratches.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
It's bothering me that the sides are so squared. How does it feel in the hand with that?

I wonder if the edges of the leather skin will stick to lint, etc.

It 'seems' the camera area has a plastic ring around it to where the plastic on the case butts up to the camera? Or - does it show the iPhone's black or white body around the camera at all?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
OK, to answer a few of the questions:
The inside is smooth, polished plastic: I've slid it on and off a few times (mainly to get rid of fingerprints from when I installed it!) and there's no apparent damage to the phone: No scratches at all on the chrome or the back plastic

The screen is covered by an acrylic piece that sits on top of the phone and then goes into the case with the phone. It seems very high quality and doesn't detract from the feel of the screen at all

It fits very, very snugly and whilst it's too early to tell if it will allow any foreign material into it, I don't think it will: All the port openings sit very flush with the body of the phone.

It doesn't really add any bulk and keeps the curved back of the phone so feels incredibly comfortable and not at all like an aftermarket case (the sides aren't as squared off as they appear in the photos: they're actually very slightly curved). The camera area does have a plastic ring round it and only the chrome bezel round the lens is visible, not any of the phone's back (it is very accurately machined too: No gaps or covering of the bezel)

Finally, the case is covered with leather which gives it decent grip without being at all "sticky" like some silicon cases can be: slides in and out of my pocket perfectly and doesn't bring any "pocket lint" out with it :)

I think that's covered most of the questions :)

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Phil - Very nice. Thanks so much for giving more details. One more perhaps dumb question.... Do you think a 3g with an Invisible shield on the BACK would squeeze into one of these babies?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Phil - Very nice. Thanks so much for giving more details. One more perhaps dumb question.... Do you think a 3g with an Invisible shield on the BACK would squeeze into one of these babies?

It may well do, but it is a very snug fit. May fit better if you cut the corners off the IS before putting it on

skierdb526

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
can you plug all headphones into the headphone port? or will it only fit the originals? I had this, but noticed that it looked too snug so I sold mine while in line. Im using a sena slip case now.

JamboUK

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
Great case - BUT!

It may well do, but it is a very snug fit. May fit better if you cut the corners off the IS before putting it on

Got my case from CPW today - mainly based on this thread. One point of note though and I don't know if Phil (OP) can shed some light. There is permanently air trapped between the polycarbonate and the iPhone display - which is pretty unsightly.

Now the OP pictures in this thread don't show this - unless it is not picked up be the camera? Anyone got and hints and tips?

Stalban

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Got my case from CPW today - mainly based on this thread. One point of note though and I don't know if Phil (OP) can shed some light. There is permanently air trapped between the polycarbonate and the iPhone display - which is pretty unsightly.

Now the OP pictures in this thread don't show this - unless it is not picked up be the camera? Anyone got and hints and tips?

Presumably you don't have to use the polycarbonite? Couldn't you just put a normal screen protector on instead?

Bettermann09

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
Just ordered this case from griffin's website. I was going to get it from apple's but they sell it for $5 more. Also used a coupon for griffin's website for 20% off.:D I'll probably get this before I get my iPhone.:(

Pheelyx

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Arkansas
I got this case back ordered from Griffin. I hope it comes in soon, my iPhone feels so naked. AT&T's selection of cases were pathetic. They kept trying to sell me those tacky silicone cases. I had the Incase slider for the first iPhone. I guess they couldn't be bothered to get one out on time for the 3G, so I'm gonna try the Griffin one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.