PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Of buying Mobileme

NStocks
Jul 13, 2008, 11:12 AM
I currently own a Pc, and iPod Touch with 2.0 software. I will definetley be getting a iMac before September, which i when i got back to college. Is mobile me just for mail, calander and contacts, i wanted to know what would happen in the scenario:

I am at college and forgot to put my college work onto a memory stick, to use on a college pc. Would i be able to log into mobileme at college and get a file from my iMac or pc, without any of them being turned on, or am i living in a dreamworld :p

Any help about this will be very helpful

Thanks

NStocks

sgtboy
Jul 13, 2008, 11:19 AM
See, Idisk ISNT stored on a local computer, but a server on apples end. So you can be anywhere in the world and access a file you uploaded.

When you go to mobileme on your college PC, it accesses the same server you uploaded your files to that you did at your home PC

NStocks
Jul 13, 2008, 11:27 AM
Great, but theres no way i can get a file, if i didn't upload it. And whats Back-To-My-Mac, is that where you go on a different Mac, and use it as if its you're own, by using you're files etc.

NStocks

zedsdead
Jul 13, 2008, 11:50 AM
Great, but theres no way i can get a file, if i didn't upload it. And whats Back-To-My-Mac, is that where you go on a different Mac, and use it as if its you're own, by using you're files etc.

NStocks

Back To My Mac allows you to access macs that you have your MobileMe ID. It allows for Screen and file sharing over the internet...when it actually works, which has been never for me.

It is a very finicky service that must have networks with specific configurations, otherwise you will get nothing. Not like it was advertised at all. It is not "Plug-and-play." Defiantly do a trial run first.

Despite all of this nonsense, I am still inclined to keep my .Mac/MobileMe service...unless Apple decides not to fix the "Push" from the desktop to the cloud.

The service overall is worth it...just wish all the features would work as advertised.