Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronthomas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Hey All! So Im looking to get the western digital my book 2tb cus my 1tb is full.... Does anybody know if I were to get 2 of the 2tb.... could i use one as a back up.... or would the info be divided between the two... meaning as one fills up would it go straight to the other one? Guess im just wondering how it would work... Thanks Aaron.:apple:

aaronthomas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Or does anybody have any other solutions to storage and back up... Ive been using WD 1TB and have had no problems with it other than it being full. Thanks

MLC4SGR

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
Seems to me if you have the coin to buy 2 - 2TB drives you might want to take a look at Drobo.. not cheap but great solution for every growing movie storage.. and keeps a safe back up in case of a crash

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I have two of the 2TB My Books. To answer the original question, they are independent drives - you can use one to store your data and the other to make a backup. Time Machine will back things up for you, or you can use other tools.

Buying a single Drobo instead means that you don't have a backup. You have a very nice RAID-like device that will help keep you from losing data in case of a disk failure, but that's not a backup. A backup means you have a place to go get that file you just accidentally erased.

There are lots of posts here about external drives. The search tool is your friend :)

A.

aaronthomas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Thanks all... Alrescha... you gave me the answer I was hopen for.... YES! I did try the search tool... but couldnt find the answer you gave! Thanks again,
Aaron:)

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Thanks all... Alrescha... you gave me the answer I was hopen for.... YES! I did try the search tool... but couldnt find the answer you gave! Thanks again,
Aaron:)

You're welcome, but I have to admit I'm curious. If you bought two of some kind of drive, why would you think that they would magically become one big one without any action on your part? :)

A.

aaronthomas

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008
You're welcome, but I have to admit I'm curious. If you bought two of some kind of drive, why would you think that they would magically become one big one without any action on your part? :)

A.

Actually wasnt asking if they would become one... wanted to know if I had 2 drives if one could be used as storage and the other used as back up...... Was trying to figure out weather or not the info would be divided between the two.... 1tb for info and 1tb for back up on one drive....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.