PDA

View Full Version : what's the highest bit rate you've played on your apple tv and it was smooth?

marklight
Jul 13, 2008, 06:32 PM
I'm talking about conversion of HD MKV to apple tv format using visualhub.

Personally I've done an HD MKV at 6600 kbits/sec and it played perfectly and looked awesome, but I haven't had the time to do or try anything higher.

*** also if someone can answer this question: I converted some MKV's earlier that had DTS tracks, so I lost the 5.1. I've just found a workaround supposedly for converting DTS 5.1 to AC3 5.1 but I haven't tried it yet. If I convert the DTS track to AC3, and then add that track to an mp4 file and save it all as a .MOV, will apple tv be able to play the ac3 track, or do I need to allow visualhub to convert the ac3 track to apple tv standards.

cohibadad
Jul 13, 2008, 07:52 PM
I'm talking about conversion of HD MKV to apple tv format using visualhub.

Personally I've done an HD MKV at 6600 kbits/sec and it played perfectly and looked awesome, but I haven't had the time to do or try anything higher.

*** also if someone can answer this question: I converted some MKV's earlier that had DTS tracks, so I lost the 5.1. I've just found a workaround supposedly for converting DTS 5.1 to AC3 5.1 but I haven't tried it yet. If I convert the DTS track to AC3, and then add that track to an mp4 file and save it all as a .MOV, will apple tv be able to play the ac3 track, or do I need to allow visualhub to convert the ac3 track to apple tv standards.

AC3 is passthrough so it will work. I have pasted an AC3 track on a vid in a mov and it worked fine. DTS is a trickier subject but if converted to the correct frequency (video-->audio DTS) it will passthrough also.

marklight
Jul 13, 2008, 08:13 PM
AC3 is passthrough so it will work. I have pasted an AC3 track on a vid in a mov and it worked fine. DTS is a trickier subject but if converted to the correct frequency (video-->audio DTS) it will passthrough also.

Yea I don't know much about DTS, but I just found this popcorn MKV audio converter that takes DTS and converts it to AC3, so I didn't want to have to reconvert a bunch of my mkv files again- being able to just convert the dts and stick then into an mp4- > .mov is much quicker.