Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
I have a 15" Titanium PowerBook, which I got in June. It seems to have some kind of display problem. Sometimes (It has happened 5 times) I will have these weird lines all over the screen. They're not really visible lines - they're lines of distortion. I've taken pictures on my digital camera and screenshots using Cmd-Shift-3. The screenshots are showing the correct, un-messed-up image which is why I think it is a display problem. It most often occurs upon waking from sleep. The laptop is the 1GHZ model, no changes except there is 512MB of Apple installed RAM (2 256s). The problem is usually resolved by restarting or closing all Apps (no processor load) and then waiting a few minutes.

The programs I usually have open are: iChat, iTunes, Mail, Safari, and Virtual Desktop.

I am running OS X 10.3.2, but the problem has been occuring since Jaguar.

I called AppleCare when I had the free phone support and they gave me a case number; now the computer is still in warrenty, but out of free phone support. I don't want to pay the $49 to talk, so I plan to take it to the Millenia Apple Store and have the Genius Bar check it out.

While I'm nearly positive it's a loose wire issue, I do basic maintenance (such as fsck, repair permissions, etc.) fairly regularly.

Has anyone experienced this? Do you have any ideas? Please Help!

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
Picture

Here is one picture of the lines

Attachments

• dvc00019.jpg
    dvc00019.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 400

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
Screenshot

I can't get the screenshot to fit on here - it looks just like you would expect it to, however. So, there's really no point in putting it up.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
Please, somebody! I ran the Hardware Test CD - everything passed. What do you THINK caused it? Logic Board? Display itself? Wire somewhere? VRAM?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Print these out and show it to the people at the Apple store, they should know what the deal is. But you definitely should get this serviced... it could be the graphics card, but i would guess its something to do with the display itself.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
It seems only to appear when using VirtualDesktop and when I wake the computer after a fairly long sleep (say overnight) and the desktop is Safari's. Safari is set to Slashdot (homepage). Today this happened - I switched desktops immediately and it was gone.

Hardware? Software? Many have reported the same problem with faulty Logic Boards, but it appears to be Software now. These people said Hardware Test never found errors on theirs either.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
The computer is being shipped for repair today. I hope they don't wipe the drive, but since they normally do, I backed up everything vital.

When the computer returns, I will stop using VirtualDesktop - hopefully the problem won't return.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
The computer has been returned with a replaced clamshell. I've stopped using VirtualDesktop - the problem shouldn't recur.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.