PDA

View Full Version : Home movies to Superdrive

selfemployed
Dec 19, 2003, 12:52 PM
I have a superdrive on my G4. I would like to begin archiving my HI8 mm tapes onto DVD's. Both the camcorder and editing deck I own have S-Video out plus RCA jacks for the audio. Is there a specific adaptor I should obtain to do this? Also, any of you who have burned DVD's, how much success have you had in actually getting them to play on ordinary Sony or Philips Etc DVD players? Do I need anything more than OS 10.3 software wise? Thanks for any help

awulf
Dec 19, 2003, 11:58 PM
I've only ever burnt one DVD to show a Teacher how it is done.

The DVDs you burn with iDVD should work on most DVD Players (DVD-R standard).

To create a DVD import all your files into iMove 3, then depending if you have iDVD 2 or 3....

If you have iDVD 2, in iMovie go to File->Export
In that window Select "Export: To QuickTime" and then "Formats Full Quality DV"
Once exported drag that File into iDVD

If you have iDVD 3, I'm not sure how to do it but I think you go to click on 'iDVD" in iMovie and add the chapters... click on create iDVD project

Once you have done everything in iDVD you click on Burn

WinterMute
Dec 20, 2003, 04:16 AM
Hi8 tapes, being analog, need to be converted to digital before you an use them in iMovie and iDVD.

You'll need to get a converter or a digicam that has "play-through" capabilities, i.e. will convert analog input to a firewire output that iMovie or FCP can use.

Once done, editing and assembling a movie to DVD isn't difficult, and as long as you use half-way decent discs and a reasonably new player, you shouldn't have a problem. I've run 20-30 DVD's through iDVD and many more through DVD Studio Pro, they all work just fine in the PowerBooks drive and in the PS2 I use at home, that seems to be the acid test, if a PS2'll play it, anything will.