Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Is it not simply just an IMAP connection right now?

Do we have to wait until the notification service is released before we get notifications of new mail?

Apple has been very misleading on this one.

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Is it not simply just an IMAP connection right now?

Do we have to wait until the notification service is released before we get notifications of new mail?

Apple has been very misleading on this one.

It should be push. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

/sigh

Ashims

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
Hrmmm...

Mail seems to be pushed to my phone a couple of seconds before my mac... Presuming its actually pushing the mail to my phone it would suggest that whether its pushing to the mac or not-- its reasonably responsive.

...if that helps at all :).

Cheers.
Ash.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
It's not pushing it to my desktop mail account either. I receive it on my iPhone almost instantaneously but it doesn't show up in Mail until the computer checks for it.

You can set Mail to check every minute. At worst you would have to wait 60 seconds after your email is received before you're notified.

There isn't a push setting in Mail, so I don't think this feature will be around until Apple issues a software update (10.5.5?).

f1

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Mobile Me offers Push email to iPhone. You desktop Mail Application remains simply a pull email system.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
IMAP mail protocol is a simple synchronizing protocol which keeps data in sync between your email client and your email server! Its not PUSH! PUSH has to be provided by your email server.
Simple eg: Gmail is IMAP but not Push. .Mac was IMAP but not Push!

Push is initiated by the server not by the client. So if its iPhone or iPod or mail.app.... its push everywhere, not just iPhone.

Meaning, even mail.app gets MMe mail from push! How to verify this: if you have other IMAP/POP accounts added in mail.app, you'll see it better. Press Get Mail and see the wheel spinning besides all accounts except MMe!

Argon4k

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2005
Is anybody having issues with the MobileMe mail interface keeping up? For example, mail is received to both MobileMe mail and my iPhone immediately but when I delete the mail from my iPhone it stays on the MobileMe mail web interface and I have to manually delete it. Anybody know or why or having the same issue?

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Is anybody having issues with the MobileMe mail interface keeping up? For example, mail is received to both MobileMe mail and my iPhone immediately but when I delete the mail from my iPhone it stays on the MobileMe mail web interface and I have to manually delete it. Anybody know or why or having the same issue?

Well thats what IMAP is for! That shouldn't be happening! Maybe you should try deleting and then setting up your account again!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Which way should it be.

If I get a new email that shows up both in Mail app on the desktop and on the Me.com web interface, on my iPhone it should:

a.) push almost immediately, whether WiFi or EDGE (don't have 3G) and my Mail icon on the iPhone home screen should update to the current # of unread emails in the red circle without having to go into mail. This is what I thought it should be, so you know without going into mail.

b.) it supposedly pushes, but you don't know until you go into the mail app inbox and it then shows the current emails, read and unread. To me, this seems like "pull" since that was how it was before. You had to wait until it connected and checked new mail. To me this defeats the purpose, as I want to know on my home screen when I wake my iPhone and not later. Or as someone mentioned, is this the September notification thing, where right now you have to go into mail, but in September, it will show up on the home screen.

BTW, my contacts and calendar are syncing/pushing fairly quickly and consistently between my iPhone, Me.com and my iMac desktop apps.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
IMAP will only push if it has "IDLE" implemented. If it does not, and you can compile IMAP servers without IDLE (See below, it will be very similar to POP other than it has folders.

You want really cool IDLE functions, you need "IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE" and "FAM" support. Then you can have "Push" email in every folder under your inbox, and shared folders.

Code:
>telnet mail.mac.com 143
Trying 17.148.16.32...
Connected to mail.mac.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ NAMESPACE UIDPLUS CHILDREN BINARY UNSELECT SORT LANGUAGE XSENDER X-NETSCAPE XSERVERINFO AUTH=PLAIN STARTTLS] Messaging Multiplexor (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server 6.3-6.03 (built Jun  5 2008))

>telnet mail.me.com 143
Trying 17.148.16.42...
Connected to mail.me.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ NAMESPACE UIDPLUS CHILDREN BINARY UNSELECT SORT LANGUAGE XSENDER X-NETSCAPE XSERVERINFO AUTH=PLAIN STARTTLS] Messaging Multiplexor (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server 6.3-6.03 (built Jun  5 2008))

Does not look like Apple's Mac.com or Me.com IMAP servers have the IDLE command. They cannot do "push" in the traditional IMAP sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.