Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
How many of you have had a logic board replaced on your dual USB iBook? Whgy was it replaced? I'm trying to get an approximate read on how widespread this issue is.

My iBook died in October at the ripe old age of 3 months. It required a new hard disk and logic board, though I wonder if the logic board replacement was just precatuionary, The Apple hardware test CD didn't indicate any trouble with the logic board. My iBook just couldn't find the hard drive.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I had the power supply replaced about eleven months after I bought my iBook (16 VRAM, May 2002) because I was having battery problems. Six months later (seventeen months after purchase) the main logic board went out and was replaced as well as the power supply. No problems after that so far.

I've always suspected that the problem with the iBooks isn't an issue of a faulty logic board design, but an issue of a faulty power supply that doesn't stabilize voltage properly. That would explain why a lot of people will have a logic board failure multiple times if the power supply is not replaced as well.

isd_glory

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2003
Rochester, NY
I bought a 12" 800 MHz iBook in November 2002. In the next twelve months, the logic board failed four times (roughly three months apart).

On the fourth failure, I asked Apple about getting a replacement and what my other options are. Eventually, I decided to do a "paid upgrade" and use my iBook to help trade-up to a Powerbook

Indiana Mac

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2003
Athens, Georgia
My ibook's logic board went last January, after I had bought it about 5 months before(right as the semester was starting, thanks Apple).

Plugged in a friend's digital camera, next thing i know my screen goes funky, and the comp refuses to start up. It would intermittently start up then refuse, took it to the Apple store here in Georgia, they looked at it, said it was jsut the power management unit needing resetting. Brought it home, and it still refused to work. So I called Applecare and they sent me a box to have it repaired. Now I have the extended warenty on this machine just in case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.