Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jak3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
K, so the main computer in my house runs XP.

Let's say I have a wireless router and a Macbook. If I were to access the internet through the router hooked up to XP computer, would there be any issues? My gut says no, but you can never be too sure. :D

Now here's a situation I'm really not sure about. LAN party game, using the router to connect all the computers, would the Macbook be able to play with the other computers (XP as well) or would there be issues with that? Once again, I'm thinking no, but my gut isn't as sure on this one... :(

entplex

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
basic network and internet sharing info

This is less of a mac specific question, and more of a matter of what your modem and router support. Assuming your modem can be directly connected to your router (be sure it is a router, and not simply a switch or wireless access point) via Ethernet (most routers have a WAN port on the back, it should be connected to this via CAT5 or CAT6 cable), then the routing is all handled by the router. The way in which all the computers connect will be via some sort of network interface (this depends on if your router, some have bulit-in wireless, some have ethernet, many have both), so long as your mac and windows computers have a network interface (a wifi card aka Airport on mac, or a ethernet card) you should be good to go. on the router itself you want to be sure dhcp is enabled and that all clients on the network have dhcp enabled as well. Take a look around the internet about information on simple home network configuration, this will help you understand everything better. I feel like my answer might be providing more info then you need.

Ultimately it comes down to you having your network configured properly to have multiple computers access your internet connection (regardless of the brand or operating system). In terms of gaming, there shouldn't be any issues, so long as the game runs on both mac and winXP and supports multi-plaayer mode. I would assume it would work, but I'm no gamer. Feel free to ask more questions and if you need help configuring your network, modem, router, computers, etc... do a bit of reading online and feel free to ask more questions here. if you do want help configuring you network, please provide the brand/model of your modem and router at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.