Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redwolf8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Hello and thanks in advance for all of you who help me.

I am looking at getting a Macbook in December and have been doing my research. So it will be after the updates

I am looking at the base model because that is really all i can afford. And i need a notebook so an Imac wont do.

I will be using it for internet, mixing music tracks on garageband, watching and ripping dvds, google earth, the occasional office document (like word or a presentation) And possibly a few games.

The games im looking at are Command and Conquerer 3, Call of Duty 2, Sims 1 & 2, Diablo II (and maybe III if it will run on it) And Maybe World of Warcraft

Will the base-line macbook be able to do these things? And also i had already planed to update the ram when i buy it to 4GBs for $100
so will it be enough?

or will i have to cut down on the gaming?

Thank you,

showtime

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Not sure about the games but the base model will do everything you want it to do. For gaming, if the base model isn't going to run it, the top of the line macbook isn't going to do much better since chances are it's more of a graphics card problem.

The only issue with the base model macbooks are that they only have combo drives and not superdrives.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
If you're interested in the mid-range MB, check out the refurbished products on the Apple store website. You can find these models there for cheaper than the current entry-level MB.

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
As showtime said, the base line macbook only has a combo drive (this time around), so you can't burn DVD's. Ripping them should be fine though. I hear WoW runs pretty well on a macbook, but I'm not sure about the other games. Maybe with the updated grafix card...

You might also want to look into an external hardrive if you plan on ripping a lot of DVD's, as they take up a lot of space. Western Digital and Seagate are the most popular brands.

4 Gigs should be plenty, and installing it yourself is by far the cheaper solution.

redwolf8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
The main game i was worried about was Command and Conquerer 3 and the website has posted the minimum system requirements and the base model can run it fine, as with diablo II.

So hopefully it Will do the games i want.

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
The main game i was worried about was Command and Conquerer 3 and the website has posted the minimum system requirements and the base model can run it fine, as with diablo II.

So hopefully it Will do the games i want.

If the base model can handle it now, you should be fine when you Pick up your MacBook in December. The Montevina Platform was released today, and if I'm not mistaken, an updated grafix card will probably be included in the next iteration of the MacBook (Still integrated, of course), so the games will run even better! (Still not phenominal)

Mephisto5

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
Command and conquer 3's minimum requirements are useless in determining if it will run well on your computer.
The minimum settings REALLY distract from the game experience. Odd as it sounds, this game derives it's mood from the environment, and a crappy environment in this games makes it less than interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.