Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
So after testing and needing a good complete guide to set up mobile me with multiple reply-from emails I made one.

First step. Make a dummy gmail account. This is the only real way to make sure it works completely and you don't have dummy emails being sent to you. This will also not break mobile me on your iphone.

1st Step
Create a dummy gmail account. I will explain this later. Make it something you will NEVER use and/or give out. I recommend going to gmail.com and making a new account, it's easy, fast, and it is what I did. Also, enable IMAP when you get into the gmail account. It should be under settings -> Forward/IMAP/POP

2nd Step
Set up a mail account for mobileme, if you already done this and have a mobileme set up good. Also, set up forwarding for all the emails you wish to do to your @me.com address.

3rd Step
Set up a new mail account. By going to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calender -> Add Account... -> Other Now for Name, Address, Password, and Description fill in the information for your e-mail address that you want people to see replied from.

4th Step
Now you will see Incoming Mail Server, this is the part where you put your FAKE GMAIL ACCOUNT. If you are using gmail for your dummy account settings will be this,

Host Name = imap.gmail.com
Username = the fake gmail username you set up
password = password to account.

Under OUTGOING MAIL SERVER, you want to put the REAL out going mail server information for the account you want to have the FROM information for. For instance, I had my educational account set up. So for Outgoing mail server I had mail.hawaii.edu, then username for that account and password for that account.

Step 5,

YOU ARE DONE.

Repeat the process for each email you want to add. Then when you reply or write an e-mail from your @me.com account on the iPhone, click the CC/BCC From tag, then click From: again and you will see a list of the email addresses you added. It will send like normal.

The reason you need a fake gmail account is because you need a real incoming mail server, however, you don't want to use the same incoming mail server if you're just using it for FROM because it will place two emails one that was forwarded to your mobileme account and another that was fetched from your server

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REPLY, but this should be the definite guide to this problem.

ALSO!!! if you tried other solutions in where you put your @me.com info in your incoming mail server and your the FROM: address info in outgoing, you need to RE ADD your @me.com account (Delete/Add) because it screws up your push capability!!!

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
42 views no replies?

I hope it is working for you guys. let me know! It's worked flawlessly so far. Hasn't interfered with my push email so far, and no copies in the other mailbox. It's sad Apple doesn't include an easy way to add an SMTP server to do this, but this is the only solution that fixes everything that I know of.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Not working on the iPhone. I have another method that works
perfectly for me, but let me address what is not working on my
iPhone and perhaps you can correct it.

I set up GMAIL to forward my POP mail accounts to my MobileMe
address.

On the iPhone I set up an "Other" account. I first put all information
related to the POP account I wanted displayed in my messages other
than my MobileMe account.

Following your instructions I used the imap.gmail.com address for
incoming mail and my own personal POP server for outgoing mail
so that when I reply on my iPhone my personal address shows.

Saving all that information, the iPhone did not verify it, saying
something about SSL security and such.

Want to know what worked for me instead? I didn't set my iPhone
up under "OTHER." Instead, I set it up under MobileMe. Here are
directions that have had my accounts working flawlessly...

Create a GMAIL account

1. Go to Google Mail and create a personal account

2. After you have successfully registered, log into your GMAIL
account and click on SETTINGS in top right corner

3. Go to Accounts and scroll down to Get Mail From Other
Accounts. Fill out the information pertaining to the POP3 account
you wish GMAIL to retrieve mail from.

4. Go to Forwarding and POP and select the option Enable POP
only for mail that arrives from now on

5. Repeat above steps for additional POP addresses you wish to forward to MobileMe.

6. Final Step: Make the one account you want all your addressed mail
to appear from as the DEFAULT account under GMAIL. This is important when
replying to mail via iPhone

Set up .MAC to push on your iPhone

1. On your iPhone go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Add
An Account -> Mobile ME

2. Use your .Mac/MobileMe address and password. SAVE

3. Go back into MobileMe configuration in mail settings, click account
info and where it says smtp.me.com scroll down till you find smtp.gmail.com and use it.
You need to turn OFF the smtp.me.com and turn on or add smtp.gmail.com

You can now send mail from your iPhone with your default POP address
not related to .MAC or .ME

Set up your LEOPARD MAIL account

Now that you have MobileMe as your primary Mail.app account
on your desktop or laptop you now face the problem of not being
able to send new mail under your preferred POP account.

Under your preferred POP account, go to Mail Prefs. Accounts. Advanced.
UNCHECK "Include when automatically checking for new mail"

As I said, this works flawlessly. I could not get your method
to work as the iPhone would not save the account as set up. If
I made a mistake let me know.

Also, if you can see any disadvantages in the instructions I
provided I would love to know about it.

Thanks!

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this won't/can't change the default reply-to address, right? Meaning - every single time you reply, you have to change the "from" address from the gmail account to your preferred account, yes?

What I want is to simply set and forget, such that every time I reply to a pushed @me.com email it's "from" my primary email address *without* having to hit the "From" field and change it via the scroll wheel that appears.

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
I found this answer as I reported on another post.

Set the default email at yourname@yourdomain.com

Then when you go to send an email through mobileme it will still say sending from yournaeme@me.com but when the other person gets it they will only see it is from the default email and not mobileme.

Fooled me for a while as I kept seeing the mobileme address and didn't bother to check what was being read when sent!

iptaylm

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
I still can't get any emails to push to my mobile me account on my Iphone.

Here are my current settings

On my Iphone
Gmail account - inactive
Mobile me - xxxxxxx@me.com - active
set to accept and sync mail only.
SMTP: smtp.gmail.com

On my Web Gmail Account settings:
Accounts: I have just 1 of my 3 POP accounts listed so far for testing purposes
POP is enabled
IMAP is enabled

Everytime I send a test email to the POP account I have set up to forward in Gmail, nothing shows up on my Iphone when mobile me checks for new mail. There is a copy of it in my Gmail web inbox though.

Sigh..........

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Hmm. Not in my case. The from field on the iphone says mobileme, and the email actually arrives from mobileme.

I'll keep messing around...

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
If I use this method to push gmail emails to mobile me, so they get pushed to my phone, then the messages will appear as unread when go back to my gmail account (on the web), correct?

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Not sure what the complications are. I set up my MobileMe account and Gmail account on my iPhone. I deactivate my Gmail account and set my MobileMe outgoing server to gmail's outgoing server. I also have Gmail set up to forward e-mails to my @me.com account.

And you're done. Nothing else to do. When you get an gmail email, it sends to your iPhone instantaneously and when you click reply, it responds with your gmail account automatically. It works great.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Not sure what the complications are. I set up my MobileMe account and Gmail account on my iPhone. I deactivate my Gmail account and set my MobileMe outgoing server to gmail's outgoing server. I also have Gmail set up to forward e-mails to my @me.com account.

And you're done. Nothing else to do. When you get an gmail email, it sends to your iPhone instantaneously and when you click reply, it responds with your gmail account automatically. It works great.

Maybe the problem I'm having is that the "main" email I'm trying to get to work is not a gmail account. Perhaps my hosting company does not allow this type of SMTP relaying.

Question about some of the above methods wherein the gmail account is told to POP into other accounts (I could have it pop into my main account): how quickly is the POP? When it arrived in my main account, would GMail find it instantly via POP, and forward it instantly to the me.com address? Or is there some delay via POP?

TM

Trimmer2

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Sent & Deleted not pushing from iPhone (using SMTP POP)

This gMail workaround (first post) seems to be working for me as far as actually sending and receiving emails on my iPhone / MobileMe. (receiving through MM and sending through my POP smtp server)

With this set up or a better set up, is there a way to have the "sent", "deleted" and etc emails get pushed to MobileMe? With your set up, if I respond to an email from my iPhone, the response stays on the iPhone and doesn't get pushed to MobileMe ...and thus iMail. ...and if I respond via iMail it doesn't get pushed to MM and thus iPhone either.

My head start spinning with all the "what ifs"

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Maybe the problem I'm having is that the "main" email I'm trying to get to work is not a gmail account. Perhaps my hosting company does not allow this type of SMTP relaying.

Question about some of the above methods wherein the gmail account is told to POP into other accounts (I could have it pop into my main account): how quickly is the POP? When it arrived in my main account, would GMail find it instantly via POP, and forward it instantly to the me.com address? Or is there some delay via POP?

TM

Oy. That sucks. I wish I could be more help to you :(

The way MobileMe seems to do POP is that you manually check your other account. It doesn't try to pull your POP account every few minutes or so (from my understanding of its instructions). If you forward your Gmail account to MobileMe, it's instantaneous and shows up on your phone ASAP. So, in your case, you may need to have your main e-mail forward to Gmail, then have Gmail forward to MobileMe and then it'll Push to your phone. The problem here is that when you reply from your iPhone, you can't reply with your main e-mail account since you can't put that outgoing server into your phone.

I'll dig some more and see if there's something I'm missing.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
when commenting on the success of this
working for you could you please indicate
Which instructions you used on the iPhone?

The original post said to create an "other"
account on iPhone.

My instructions were to use MobileMe account
On iPhone and modify the outgoing SMTP server.

Need to know which worked.

Trimmer2

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
This gMail workaround (first post) seems to be working for me as far as actually sending and receiving emails on my iPhone / MobileMe. (receiving through MM and sending through my POP smtp server)

With this set up or a better set up, is there a way to have the "sent", "deleted" and etc emails get pushed to MobileMe? With your set up, if I respond to an email from my iPhone, the response stays on the iPhone and doesn't get pushed to MobileMe ...and thus iMail. ...and if I respond via iMail it doesn't get pushed to MM and thus iPhone either.

My head start spinning with all the "what ifs"

Maybe I figured it out.

I went in to "Advanced" on my server settings (on my iPhone) and it gives me check options for what to do with Drafts, Sent, Trash whether to keep on the phone or server. Is this what I was looking for??

gt9228a

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008

account on iPhone.

Well I used OP's instructions and it worked fine. Use could probably use an "other account" or a "gmail account" when setting up. All you have to do make sure the IMAP and SMTP server settings are correct.

Has anyone used this method with google apps for domains? Using this method works for my personal domain right now, but when some people receive the email it will say "sent from soandso@soandso.com on behalf of fakeemail@gmail.com"

I am wondering if using google apps for my domain it would remove the "on behalf of" part.

Otherwise, great instructions. If only we could set a default "FROM" address automatically.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007

account on iPhone.

It depends. I have more then one e-mail address that people send me information on. If you change your mobileme account smtp server, that means you will only have one email to use.

My method works if you have 2-3+ addresses.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Well I used OP's instructions and it worked fine. Use could probably use an "other account" or a "gmail account" when setting up. All you have to do make sure the IMAP and SMTP server settings are correct.

Has anyone used this method with google apps for domains? Using this method works for my personal domain right now, but when some people receive the email it will say "sent from soandso@soandso.com on behalf of fakeemail@gmail.com"

I am wondering if using google apps for my domain it would remove the "on behalf of" part.

Otherwise, great instructions. If only we could set a default "FROM" address automatically.

Thanks, I am not sure about google apps for domains. I know the method I outlined will be the same as if you were sending it from a fully setup account because you are using their SMTP server.

Default From address you would have to set up your SMTP server on your @me.com account to be the smtp server for desired @address.com .. however this will only work if you just have one email address you wish to reply from

gt9228a

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks, I am not sure about google apps for domains. I know the method I outlined will be the same as if you were sending it from a fully setup account because you are using their SMTP server.

Default From address you would have to set up your SMTP server on your @me.com account to be the smtp server for desired @address.com .. however this will only work if you just have one email address you wish to reply from

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Since I want all my email to be sent from my personal domain address, I will change this.

Thanks again for your help.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Looking at the above post by EnderTW ...

I want to try setting up my iPhone according
to the very first post where you have to create
a "other" account.

Problem for me, after putting in the server
information as indicated in the first post
it will not save on my iPhone.

But EnderTW mentions something interesting
by saying the default SMTP address also needs
To be entered under ME.

Where specifically is this done?

gt9228a

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Oh yeah, that makes sense. Since I want all my email to be sent from my personal domain address, I will change this.

Thanks again for your help.

So I made the default SMTP server for my Mobileme Account the smtp.gmail.com server.. (I turned OFF the mobileme smtp server and used the gmail smtp server)

And now when I reply to an email sent to my mobileme account, even If I do not change the from address in the actual email (it still says account@me.com), the outgoing email will have the address of my gmail account (me@personaldomain.com). Therefore, I do not need to click on the from address for each mail anymore. using the scroll-wheel thing. This is great!

Great setup for anyone who sends mail from one account only, but receives from multiple accounts. Basically this can emulate "Personalities" like gmail has.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
HFS success! The problem I was having was that the mail email I wanted to use was not a Gmail, and my provider doesn't allow what Gmail does in terms of acting as an SMTP relay (am I saying that right??) so when I did the above, but substituted my hosting companies servers for gmails, it didn't work.

So I created a dummy gmail account, forwarded my main account to it (rather than have gmail POP into it), and forwarded the gmail to my me.com address.

Now it works as it should - my main email gets pushed to me instantly (via gmail), and both replies and new mails are sent from my main address.

However, as has been pointed out, on the iphone it appears as if the mail is being sent from the me.com address. However, recipients see the proper default address..

Success! Thanks guys! And, thanks gmail!! for allowing what Apple should have in the first place!

TM

gt9228a

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
HFS success! The problem I was having was that the mail email I wanted to use was not a Gmail, and my provider doesn't allow what Gmail does in terms of acting as an SMTP relay (am I saying that right??) so when I did the above, but substituted my hosting companies servers for gmails, it didn't work.

So I created a dummy gmail account, forwarded my main account to it (rather than have gmail POP into it), and forwarded the gmail to my me.com address.

Now it works as it should - my main email gets pushed to me instantly (via gmail), and both replies and new mails are sent from my main address.

However, as has been pointed out, on the iphone it appears as if the mail is being sent from the me.com address. However, recipients see the proper default address..

Success! Thanks guys! And, thanks gmail!! for allowing what Apple should have in the first place!

TM

Seriously, thank god for Gmail. Maybe they should have designed mobileme. I guess they are saving their push email,file storage app for the gphone?

gt9228a

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
gt,

So you basically used my instructions, yes?

Well I initially used the OP's instructions, but then I used yours after I figured things out a little more. Basically I did this:

I have a gmail account and a mobile me account.
In gmail, I have all my gmail forwarded to the mobile me account.

On the iphone, I set up both accounts (mobileme and gmail). All my email will arrive in my mobileme account. When I reply to my email, I set up my mobileme account to use Gmail's SMTP server. And now everything works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.