PDA

View Full Version : DRM M4P Help (Legally Purchased)

Syndacate
Jul 14, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hey,

I purchased music off of iTunes for my first time the other day - IMO it was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made, my dad does not have iTunes on his PC (iTunes keeps crashing on it) and nothing else besides iTunes will recognize .m4p format - not to mention he wants to put it into his car...and can't, because it's .m4p format.

This is crap, I legally purchased this album off of the iTunes store and asside from my laptop, nothing else can play it. I don't use iTunes to manage my iPod either, but it appears I have to to play .m4p? What kind of stranglehold ******** is this? What about the people like my friend who have a PC that can run iTunes fine, but have a creative zen? They're just **** outta luck?

Now I'm sure there's many people on here saying "why would you ever not want to use iTunes!?!? It's the best thing since sliced bread, etc. etc. etc." For those people, you wouldn't understand, please simply refrain from involvement.

My point is simple, I legally purchased this album and planned on purchasing many more - but I'd like to listen to this on a CD in my car (which reads .mp3) - my dad would like to drop them on his hard drive in his car (which reads .mp3), my dad doesn't use iTunes, but would like it on his iPod too.

This is all completely legal use, it's being used between me and my dad, not being sold, whatever, and I'm being restrained 6 ways from Sunday because this DRM crap.

In any event, with that asside:
It seems the only way to dump this DRM (I don't mind paying money for music, but if I buy the music, IT'S MY MUSIC, not, my music on 1 out of 5 computers with iTunes) is to burn it to a CD, and then rip it into .mp3 format - it seems to have minimal loss, which is acceptable I suppose, though stupid because I bought them at full quality, shouldn't be noticeable when driving in my car though, but whatever... There's one slight problem with that - nothing recognizes .m4p format to burn it to a CD as an audio CD - what do I burn it with?

Or are there any other virtual burners? I tried Tunes4Mac - which worked awesomely great, but FORTY DOLLARS FOR ALREADY LEGALLY PURCHASED MUSIC!?

There any other free alternatives?

I don't plan on selling this stuff - but I'd like to listen to music I legally purchased in my car, and if sharing it with my dad is illegal that's fine - I won't give it to him - I'd just like to utilize what I've actually purchased.

They should have a warning when you buy stuff on iTunes store "warning, the songs purchased here can only be used on 5 of your computers, and ONLY on iTunes and quicktime"

I'm not even started on the fact that there's one slight problem - I HAVE MORE THAN 5 COMPUTERS - so what, I need 2 accounts to use LEGALLY PURCHASED Music on my OWN computers? Or am I supposed to drag my iPod around and input it into every computer or something??

/RANT

Sorry about the rant, really, but this has me very aggravated.

Anybody have any advice for me about regular or virtual CD burners (end result = converting to .mp3).

I don't mind wasting regular CD's, as it's they're cheaper than hell, they'll take a hell of a lot of songs to get up to the 40 dollars I would need to use Tune4Mac, so :crook:.

I'd like to buy more songs from the iTunes store because of its convenience - but it seems with this DRM crap you PAY HARDCORE for your convenience.

EDIT:
Sorry about the extremely long post with lots of irrelevant info :(

CanadaRAM
Jul 14, 2008, 12:31 PM
#1 Calm down

#2 You do not own the music, you own the right to play the music as defined by the contract you bought it under -- which means you can play it on 5 devices/computers that run iTunes. You did not purchase the right to duplicate it for your Dad in any arbitrary format -- just as buying a CD does not give you the right to have a free vinyl LP of the album.

#3 If you spent half the time searching as you did venting in the post, you would have found that you can burn the album to CD-R as an audio disk, then re-rip the songs back in as MP3s, then burn MP3 CD for Dad.

We have covered this many, many times on MR. Search first, post second.

Syndacate
Jul 14, 2008, 07:11 PM
#1 Calm down

#2 You do not own the music, you own the right to play the music as defined by the contract you bought it under -- which means you can play it on 5 devices/computers that run iTunes. You did not purchase the right to duplicate it for your Dad in any arbitrary format -- just as buying a CD does not give you the right to have a free vinyl LP of the album.

#3 If you spent half the time searching as you did venting in the post, you would have found that you can burn the album to CD-R as an audio disk, then re-rip the songs back in as MP3s, then burn MP3 CD for Dad.

We have covered this many, many times on MR. Search first, post second.

@ #3:
If you spent as much time reading my post as you did pointing out its flaws you'd see I covered that already.

I have found info about burning it to CD-R's as an audio disk, though, like I previously stated in my original post, no burning program (such as Toast), that I can find, recognizes .m4p as audio format to burn them to a disk.

EDIT:
It seems the only way to dump this DRM (I don't mind paying money for music, but if I buy the music, IT'S MY MUSIC, not, my music on 1 out of 5 computers with iTunes) is to burn it to a CD, and then rip it into .mp3 format - it seems to have minimal loss, which is acceptable I suppose, though stupid because I bought them at full quality, shouldn't be noticeable when driving in my car though, but whatever... There's one slight problem with that - nothing recognizes .m4p format to burn it to a CD as an audio CD - what do I burn it with?

Darth.Titan
Jul 14, 2008, 07:40 PM
Umm... you burn the audio CD with iTunes. Perhaps you noticed the 'Burn Disc' button in the bottom right of the iTunes window?
Seriously RTFM

Syndacate
Jul 14, 2008, 11:36 PM
Umm... you burn the audio CD with iTunes. Perhaps you noticed the 'Burn Disc' button in the bottom right of the iTunes window?
Seriously RTFM

I did notice the burn button, yes.

I did "RTFM" - the problem was I wasn't logged in to the iTunes account so when I hit "burn disc" it gave me an error msg about not being able to burn protected content, but once I logged in to my iTunes account it worked fine, which was before I came here to post that I got it.

I would say thanks for your help but then again I didn't really get any info that I didn't already know.

CanadaRAM
Jul 15, 2008, 06:45 PM
I would say you're welcome, but I didn't really see anything but attitude on your part.