Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cameron08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Alabama
Hi,

I was wondering is there a number or some way to tell if an imac is refurbished. I purchased an imac from ebay brand new however it has the same specs has the refurbished I hope I didn't buy a refurb for the price of a new imac.

Thanks for any help!

-Cameron

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Hi,

I was wondering is there a number or some way to tell if an imac is refurbished. I purchased an imac from ebay brand new however it has the same specs has the refurbished I hope I didn't buy a refurb for the price of a new imac.

Thanks for any help!

-Cameron

There is no way to definitely tell one way or another. You can download the MacTracker application and using System Profiler, look at your specs (processor, model, etc). Then launch MacTracker and compare models. If your specs fall into the older models of the iMac, chances are it could be a refurb or just old stock that was never sold.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
apple gives refurbs their own distinctive serial number sequence and you can tell from looking at the number if its a refurb....somebody else will have to tell you what the identifier in the serial number is tho since I don't remember (sorry!)

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
apple gives refurbs their own distinctive serial number sequence and you can tell from looking at the number if its a refurb....somebody else will have to tell you what the identifier in the serial number is tho since I don't remember (sorry!)

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this.

Cameron08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Alabama
Thanks for your replies. I just wanted to stop by and tell you I appreciate your replies.

Today, I finally purchased a imac refurbished from Apples online store. 2.8 500gb hdd 2gb ram it should be here this week or the next. I canceled the one I bought from ebay and the refund is coming my way.

Thanks again!

-Cameron

Cameron08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Alabama
Only reason I can think of is they talk about 2 separate things. One talks about should I buy a refurb or new, one talks about how tot ell the difference if that's the thread your referring to. Mainly I started because I didn't want to get off topic also it will help others through search engines and on the forums there hasn't been a topic like this one.

Sorry for the confusion,
Cameron

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.