Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robins2001

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
Hi all, this is my first post, looks like a great site :)

I am a traning illustrator in my second year. The main programs I use are, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design | Macromedia Director | Lightwave & FormZ.

Now at the moment I do most of my work on my Pentium4 PC, but i want to switch to a mac for a few reasons, (im not here to debate which are better :rolleyes: )

My main problem is deciding what to get for now....(In 4 months I am going to work for a major company who use the latest G5 machines fully spec'ed up to the t!ts, and im pretty sure I can order a machine through the company with a discount)

I am thinking about getting a DP 1.25 | 1.42 G4 unit or a 1.6 G5...which would offer better performance for my sort of stuff? I would have thought one of the DP machines just on shear clock spead and brute force?

Sorry for the length of the thred, hope you can offer me some good opinions!

Thanks

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
The G4's are faster than the single proc G5's, and that's a fact.

If you wanted performance, grab the Dual 1.8, its not that much more expensive, but it will crush the G4's and single proc G5 anytime.

Then again, MacWorld SanFran is around the corner and new machines are expected then so stay tuned.

Mat

robins2001

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
cheers mat,

i might see if i can pick up a dual 1.42 refurb for now and maybe get a 1740 formac lcd...

how do u think the g4 would feel against my current pentium4 1.6 clocked at 2ghz?

i dont wanna be disapointed when i get it and find out my pc was faster, even though i think this isnt gonna happen ;)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Yeah, for the kinda thing you're going to be doing, I reckon stretching that bit extra for the dual 1.8GHz G5 would be your best bet. Over time more and more will be optimised for the G5, while the G4 gets left behind. Saying that, the 1.6GHz G5 isn't really all that great for the money, and if you can't stretch to the dual 1.8GHz G5, then I'd go with the dual 1.42GHz G4 over the single 1.6GHz G5.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
You should definitely wait for MacWorld in January. There will be new PowerMacs (speed bumps) and the prices for the current machines will drop. That could leave you in a position where the Dual 1.8ghz (best deal right now) is affordable.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
When you do get it, I'd check out the different browsers.

There is Mozilla, Safari, Camino, Opera, and many more. There are some threads that you could search for concerning mac browsers.

I too am about to switch. But I have been a mac user my whole life so its not really switching. I was forced into buying a PC (money issues - I was 14 at the time :rolleyes: ;)), and now my mom bought my dad a 1GHz 17" iMac, so I am going to be using that instead of my PC.

The guy who I bought it from actually added Virtual PC before I left, but he didn't include a Windows OS.

scem0

robins2001

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
scem0 , thanks for your input m8, but tbh thats the least of my concerns, lol

id prob stick with opera anyway, i use it on my pc and its really good,

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by robins2001
scem0 , thanks for your input m8, but tbh thats the least of my concerns, lol

id prob stick with opera anyway, i use it on my pc and its really good,

The Mac version of Opera is not very good at all. You'd be much better off with one of the Mozilla derivatives (Camino/Firebird) or with Safari.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Whatever you decide, I'd advise sticking with dual processors over a faster single processor any day. The OS is built to take advantage of both, so you will really come out ahead with the dual G4 1.42 over a single G5. Also, consider that for design work you will likely have multiple processor intensive apps open at the same time. It's a nice bonus that you can spread your tasks across two procs, rather than throwing all your work at one.

I have a dual 1.25 and I can really tell the difference when I turn one processor off.

Dan

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
get the LaCie blue if ya can

If you are going to into high end print using InDesign and Photoshop, take a look at the LaCie CRT displays. If you are working in print, you'll need accurate color. Just my 2 cents if you are getting into the print world.

Also, congrats on the switch. Enjoy your new Macintosh and welcome.

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
As for browser, I highly recommend Safari or Camino. Browsers aint that different across platforms these days.

Saying this of course, the OmniGroup are not standing still and Camino development has been patchy (I for one haven't submitted any patches for a while).

Mat

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
I'd have to agree with the dual g4, if you can't affod a dual g5. It looka like most of the programs you are using are multi-processor aware (Photoshop, lightwave, and I think FOrm Z is too). If you productivity software is multiprocessor awarre you'll get a reall gain from having two.

Althought its unlikely, there may be at some point upgrades for the g4 tower, whereas the single processor g5's are not processor upgradable.

It seems the optimizaations for the g5 won't matter much to you if you are planning on buying a superior machine later on through your company anyway.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by alset
Whatever you decide, I'd advise sticking with dual processors over a faster single processor any day. The OS is built to take advantage of both, so you will really come out ahead with the dual G4 1.42 over a single G5. Also, consider that for design work you will likely have multiple processor intensive apps open at the same time. It's a nice bonus that you can spread your tasks across two procs, rather than throwing all your work at one.

I have a dual 1.25 and I can really tell the difference when I turn one processor off.

Dan
There's a way of turning one of your processors off??

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Yeah, how do you turn a processor off?

From what I've seen, most tests show dual G4's doing better than single G5's in the Apps you've mentioned.
BUT... at the Apple store online they have refurb 1.6 G5's for 1399.00 (hot deals section). That's a bargain for a modern machine!

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
Originally posted by MattG
There's a way of turning one of your processors off??

The developer tools (under 10.3 is where I noticed it) installs a system preferences app that you can turn off one of the CPUs, disable cache, etc.

robins2001

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
thanks alot for all the great advice chaps :)

yeah, think ill have a look for a good dp g4 for now as i will hopfully get a upto date g5 around summer time.

do u think the g4 will be smoother than my current pentium for graphics and 3d work though?

happy xmas :)

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
thanks alot for all the great advice chaps :)

yeah, think ill have a look for a good dp g4 for now as i will hopfully get a upto date g5 around summer time.

do u think the g4 will be smoother than my current pentium for graphics and 3d work though?

happy xmas :)

Against a pre-northwood core P4 (your 1.6 overclocked to 2) a dual 1.25 or 1.42 should compare pretty good, but you're probably not going to notice a big difference unless it's something that takes advantage of the second processor. The first generation P4s were terrible performers, but a 50% clock speed advantage will help it. I would suggest finding someone to benchmark the applications that you use to get the answer you want. A better place to ask that question would probably be the Lightwave, Form-Z, etc. forums.

robins2001

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
yeah mine is a northwood and i used to run it at 2.4 but it got a bit too hot...it would sit at 2.2 ok though....in the end i just put it back to 1.6 cos i was planing to sell it..

i know photoshop, lightwave etc all use the second cpu so i am hoping that alone should give it a bit of an edge...but thats without taking into account the other benefits like osx

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
i know photoshop, lightwave etc all use the second cpu so i am hoping that alone should give it a bit of an edge...but thats without taking into account the other benefits like osx

Here's a little more information. I had to dust off the 7.5c CDs (we're mostly a Carrara shop here). I just picked a scene out of the Content folder (Benchmark\skull head newest). On our dual 800 G4, best time was 282.1 seconds with 4 threads. On the single 2.26 P4, best time was 229.7 seconds with 1 thread. If the G4 scales linearly, that would give you ~180 seconds with a dual 1.25 and ~159 seconds with a dual 1.42. Your mileage may vary from scene to scene I would suspect and also for some reason that particular scene is only on the Mac's content folder.

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
Note that the G4 is crippled, especially in bandwidth intensive altivec tasks, by its horrendously slow system bus. I'm not exactly sure about this but I think both CPUs have to share the one 166MHz bus. On the other hand the 1.6GHz G5 has an 800MHz system bus which is a huge advantage over the G4. If your apps are going to be more single CPU oriented then I would definitely got for the 1.6GHz G5. However, if you can afford the 1.8GHz dual, then go for this. Its really worth the extra to get that second G5 (of which each has its own 900MHz system bus!)

robins2001

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
not as simple as i thought

hmm..i still feel its best for me to go for the dual machine for now, if im happy with using a mac on a daily basis then i will upgrade to a dual g5 in the summer..

does anyone know any us stores which may ship refurb's or somthing to the uk? appart from apples own refurb store which is open every wednesday!

cheers

robins2001

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
thanks neonart...

hey, what do u think of your formac lcd? i am planning on gettin the 1740 or the 1900, u happy with it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.