Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
Hi,

I've been using an ipod classic, and I just got an ipod touch recently. I'm a big fan of some podcasts, and I used to be able to sync podcasts to my ipod and I can watch them on the go.

However, for some video podcasts (such as TED), when I tried to upload them to ipod touch, they couldn't do it. They say something like "the ipod cannot play the video format".

But the ipod classic can play those podcasts just fine. Also, ipod touch only reject certain video podcasts, but not all.

do other people run into the same problem, or just me?

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
Hi,

I've been using an ipod classic, and I just got an ipod touch recently. I'm a big fan of some podcasts, and I used to be able to sync podcasts to my ipod and I can watch them on the go.

However, for some video podcasts (such as TED), when I tried to upload them to ipod touch, they couldn't do it. They say something like "the ipod cannot play the video format".

But the ipod classic can play those podcasts just fine. Also, ipod touch only reject certain video podcasts, but not all.

do other people run into the same problem, or just me?

I run into this with the MacBreak podcast. What I need to do is select the "Convert for the ipod/iphone" in the advanced menu. Seems odd to me but resolves the problem. BTW, not real fast at the conversion.

jojoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
I run into this with the MacBreak podcast. What I need to do is select the "Convert for the ipod/iphone" in the advanced menu. Seems odd to me but resolves the problem. BTW, not real fast at the conversion.

Hey I couldn't find choice of "Convert for the ipod/iphone"...can you be more specific about where to do it?

thanks!

panadero

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
podcasts

i dload a lot of podcasts too. it may be that you're dloading a higher rez podcast then what the touch can display. for instance, with Diggnation, they have a Hi-def quicktime that will not play on the touch. I go for the Small quicktime (rather then Large), as you're not likely to notice a diff on such a small screen anyway, and save some space...

jojoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
umm...so it might be a resolution problem? But I used to have an ipod classic, and high def ones work okay on them though....(but the podcasts that i couldn't play were high def..)

SuperMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Yes, if the podcast has a standard-def version of the same thing, then use that, it will look fine on your iPod Touch screen, or just right click on a non working podcast On your computer) & hit 'convert for iPod/iPhone' to make it work.
This will take a while, a very long while, so be patient.

Hope this helps

SuperMacMan

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
What I don't understand is why would literally the exact same video format work on the iPod 5/6G, but not the Touch? The Touch's screen is over four times as high resolution if I'm remembering right, so it's got more of a reason to support higher resolutions/bitrates. I don't know how it's actual performance is though since the 5/6G use a hard wired video decoder chip while I assume the Touch uses it's main CPU, which might not actually be as capable for h.264 playback.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
The iPod classic was capable of playing back some more high-resolution formats because of its TV-Out capability. Its very possible that the newer hardware decoder chip used in the Touch can't decode the higher resolutions because its more power-efficient or of a different design.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
If I'm remembering right though the Touch's actual resolution is the same or similar to what the 5/6G iPods can play back.

Does it actually have a separate video processor? Maybe the CPU has an integrated hardwired video decoder, but aside from that I'm not seeing a separate part like the 5G iPod has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.