PDA

View Full Version : Mounting hard drives , mac pro

rpaloalto
Jul 14, 2008, 01:37 PM
mounting hard drives , mac pro

I Just installed my new western digital 640GB as my maine boot drive. On my shinny new mac pro, works like a charm.

With my stock 320, I gave her a patron. One for storage and one for a virgin install of leopard and soon my first windows os in 10 years.

With both my wife and my kids clamoring over who gets to use the new mac. I felt it's best. Just to unmount the other disks to avoid any confusion or accidental corruption or loss of data.

Is their any way to get these to mount and be seen by the mac pro with out restarting.

Julien
Jul 14, 2008, 01:46 PM
...Is their any way to get these to mount and be seen by the mac pro with out restarting.

NO, only USB and firewire HD can be hot swapped.

matt321
Jul 14, 2008, 01:56 PM
Explain a little more....

Do you have two different drives, each bootable?

Do you physically swap the drives each time you use the computer?

You can mount/dismount drives in Disk Utility but only non-boot drives (can be internal though)

rpaloalto
Jul 14, 2008, 03:09 PM
Explain a little more....

Do you have two different drives, each bootable?

Do you physically swap the drives each time you use the computer?

You can mount/dismount drives in Disk Utility but only non-boot drives (can be internal though)

sorry,
I have two internal drives. One is the main boot drive. The second I have partitioned, one partition for storage and one for a second untouched install of OS X, and soon to be windows.

So once I eject the partitioned drive threw the finder, their is no way to remount the drive with out rebooting?

matt321
Jul 14, 2008, 04:34 PM
Yes there is. If you unmount a drive, you can open Disk Utility to "mount" the drive back.

Steps:

1. Open Disk Utility (use Spotlight to find it)
2. Look for a greyed out drive.
3. Click it and click "Mount" (top of the Disk Utility Window)

If you are not physically removing a drive, there is no reason you would have to reboot.

rpaloalto
Jul 14, 2008, 09:32 PM
OMG I feel so dumb.

That was the first place I looked, disk utility.
I saw my unmounted drives, but they were all grayed out. I failed to see the big blue ''click here to mount button''.
Thanks matt321

I love my new mac pro. There is no way now, I could ever go back to a imac:)