PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Mac Pro again, which monitor to go with it? Any recommendations?

jjahshik32
Jul 14, 2008, 02:46 PM
Ok, so I know I made a thread a while back about selling my mbp because of the nvidia gpu issues and I dont want to run into any problems in the near future and hassle so might as well sell it for the near price of the mac pro 2.8ghz 8 core model again.

Anyway since that's covered soon, now I'm wondering which monitor to buy. I know I loved the apple cinema display 23" to death but I'm trying for a new and different approach this time.

Can anyone here recommend me a good monitor around the $600 range with 1920x1200?

So far I've looked at the samsung 245bw that I can buy brand new for $400.

bigbird
Jul 14, 2008, 02:55 PM
I have a Dell 2407 with mine and am very happy. I think the latest model in their high end 24" series is the 2408.

TheStrudel
Jul 14, 2008, 02:58 PM
I bought a Doublesight DS-263N new for $800, which, as a color-accurate H-IPS monitor, was totally worth it to me. If color is at all important, I'd recommend picking up a refurb from doublesight's website ($600 for a 26" H-IPS monitor...). I know it seems like a no-name monitor, but I've found it to be a very good buy. The Samsung you're talking about is a TN panel, which are to be avoided if possible (dithering, low viewing angles, etc.). If you're interested, you can now buy it direct from doublesight:

http://www.doublesight.com/shop/product.asp?idx=24

If you need accurate color, a TN panel's not going to cut it - you'll want a PVA panel at the very least. If you don't, feel free to cheap out. Generally speaking, I wouldn't shell out $2500+ for a computer and stick a cheap display in front of it - kind of like buying a $1000 DSLR and putting $100 glass in front of it. But that's just me...most people aren't necessarily doing photo or video work - if you're a programmer, a TN panel will do you just fine, and some of those 24" occasionally drop as cheap as $300.

jjahshik32
Jul 14, 2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks for that, I never even heard of that company doublesite but I'll look into it.

I dont do any color work but for a bad ass machine like the mac pro, I'd want a really nice monitor and I do appreciate good color and an all around look.

Wow you say they use an h-ips screen?

blownco
Jul 14, 2008, 03:54 PM
2x30" ACDs FTW

jjahshik32
Jul 14, 2008, 04:34 PM
2x30" ACDs FTW

Lol, even one would be more than enough for me.

But I'm going to take a look at other monitors and I have a feeling in the end I'll get the 23" ACD.. just hope the update it soon though~~! Which I doubt.

CWallace
Jul 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm quite pleased with my Dell 2408FPW.

nanofrog
Jul 14, 2008, 07:30 PM
Hi CWallace:

I've been looking into the Dell 2408WFP. I don't do graphics design/video editing. Mostly CAD/CAM type stuff. Any issues you think for this?

It seems to have a lot of bang for the buck. :D

Thanks,
David.

m1stake
Jul 14, 2008, 09:37 PM
The 23" ACD is still what I'd get.

As was said before why spend $3,000 on a computer to put a crappy screen in front of it?

hugodrax
Jul 14, 2008, 09:59 PM
The 23" ACD is still what I'd get.

As was said before why spend $3,000 on a computer to put a crappy screen in front of it?

Kind of like buying a canon EOS-1 and buying a made in china somyounguy brand 75 dollar 18-300 plastic zoom lens in front of it.

CWallace
Jul 14, 2008, 10:14 PM
Hi CWallace:

I've been looking into the Dell 2408WFP. I don't do graphics design/video editing. Mostly CAD/CAM type stuff. Any issues you think for this?

It seems to have a lot of bang for the buck. :D

Thanks,
David.

It should be fine for that work.

idyll
Jul 14, 2008, 10:34 PM
I'd recommend one of Apple's own. LOVE them.

If not, then any of the Dells will do.

ChrisA
Jul 14, 2008, 10:49 PM
I dont do any color work but for a bad ass machine like the mac pro, I'd want a really nice monitor and I do appreciate good color and an all around look.

It would help a lot if you'd say what you are going to do with your new Mac Pro. We have to assume it's something that requires a "ton" of compute power. The way I see it is that if you have a fixed budget like $600 or $1200 then you can spend tha money to buy either (1) physical size, or (2) color accuracy, or (3) extra features like USB ports and sound or (4) whatever.

My point is that it's a fixed sum game you only gain one desirable attribute by getting less of another. This is true no matter what the budget.

What y should do is tell everyone which applications you run and which are most important to you. For example if you are a musician and use "Logic" or Pro Tools you are going to want a lot of screen space and not much else is important. Much different if you run Photoshop 6 ours a day.

Every time some one asks the "What should I buy" question everyone replies to simply by what they have but are your and their needs to same?

jjahshik32
Jul 15, 2008, 02:05 AM
I've been rendering and encoding some hd content and using the mac pro to store alot of movies and music with the help of the hdd bays.

I watch some movies on it or what not but 1920x1200 isnt really necessary for the mac pro. It would be nice to have it though.

ekwipt
Jul 15, 2008, 05:41 AM
I'm quite pleased with my Dell 2408FPW.

+1 have two of the suckers calibrated with my spyder 3 elite they look quite fantastic

ZeelessOne
Jul 15, 2008, 07:34 AM
Acer P223Wwd

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009124

$250 22'' LCD with good reviews at NewEgg.

Also whitish/silverish to better match Macs.

TheStrudel
Jul 15, 2008, 10:13 AM
22" LCDs are pointless. Lower pixel density than 20" LCDs, usually use TN panels. The dell 2408 uses a PVA panel and it's all right, but I like the Doublesight better. By the same token, Doublesight also sells a 24" PVA panel (also 1920x1200) which is apparently pretty good and a bit cheaper than the dell. Few on this forum have heard of the Doublesight displays; over on [H]ardForum they rave about them. It's better bang-for-buck than an ACD, and pretty much the cheapest you can get an H-IPS panel, and its extra options (1:1 pixel mapping, sRGB preset, 4 USB ports, 2 DVI ports) are pretty worth it. ACDs are certainly nice, but I think this monitor represents much better value for money at this point. And if you feel like waiting, they're about to refresh the display line and release the 265W, which has a better stand and HDMI. Another notable attribute of the monitor that I forgot to mention is a much better response time than ACDs (I don't feel like it's terribly important, as I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything, but nice for watching movies and video editing).

ACDs are great. Consensus seems to be that of all monitors, they match SWOP and print standards the best. But if you're not working towards print, the advantage isn't going to be that great. Personally, I was hoping apple would release LED backlit ACDs soon, but that doesn't seem likely.

Silencio
Jul 15, 2008, 01:50 PM
That Doublesight 26" is a really good buy on a really good panel. I have a Planar PX2611W, which is pretty much the same displays as the Doublesight 26". The only differences are that Planar is a more well-established company with a solid reputation for supporting their products and a good warranty, and the Planars cost $150-200 more than the Doublesights.

FireSlash
Jul 15, 2008, 05:15 PM
I'm using a HP w2408. Looks good, does everything you'd want, has an ambient light sensor (If you read a lot of text/code, you'll come to appreciate this. At least your eyes will), and the price is right.

Snagged mine at a best buy for $300. Just wish I had the desk room for two;)

jjahshik32
Jul 15, 2008, 10:05 PM
Which are better dell 2407 or 2408? Also are some of the 2408 screen have s-ips panels?

TheStrudel
Jul 15, 2008, 11:16 PM
$300 for HP's 24" (reputedly a decent monitor) seems pretty darn good. Sure it wasn't their other, cheaper 24"? $300 actually seems ludicrously cheap for a decent 24" PVA. As I understand it, some of the 2407s (panel lottery...) were IPS, while all of the 2408s are PVA. Not totally certain, though - if anybody could confirm this, that'd be swell. And while we're on the subject, that $300 for the 2408 isn't still going on, is it?

ThirteenXIII
Jul 16, 2008, 01:11 AM
$300 for HP's 24" (reputedly a decent monitor) seems pretty darn good. Sure it wasn't their other, cheaper 24"? $300 actually seems ludicrously cheap for a decent 24" PVA. As I understand it, some of the 2407s (panel lottery...) were IPS, while all of the 2408s are PVA. Not totally certain, though - if anybody could confirm this, that'd be swell. And while we're on the subject, that $300 for the 2408 isn't still going on, is it?

I havent seen 300$ for either of the models and BestBuy usually only sells the TFT based displays. so he might have got the w2408h (though it has HDMI but is a TFT cheaper display possibly not PVA or IPS) unless it was a return or floor model? they usually discount steeply on that.

the lowest ive seen the for is around $400 and thats not bad compared to 800$ 23" ACD lol

Ive been looking at a decent display for my macpro aswell.
I was thinking of getting the 2207 but since its a not native resolution and is generally stretch id looking for a good 24" that isnt too hugely priced.

FireSlash
Jul 17, 2008, 01:33 AM
It's not a 2408h, I've got it connected via DVI to my mac.

the monitor was returned, then turned into a floor model, which had just gone EOL in their systems.

With Best Buy, after a certain amount of time, they can't return products to the vendor. With other producs, they can never be returned (as if often the case with HP, Gateway, and Dell monitors), so it comes down to the retailer making a choice between selling an outdated monitor deeply discounted, or sending it to be disposed of based on a dollar:pound ratio. I'll admit I paid $340+tax, as I added a 4 year warranty (I don't trust floor models or returns, this was both), but it's been rock solid so far.

If your store hasn't marked monitors like these down, try asking about it. They'll often lower the price further to move old open item products, as they depreciate in value rapidly once they hit EOL. In their systems, EOL products are tracked as lost money, so recouping some of that by selling it below cost is still a victory to them

Rendition
Jul 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
I think the PVA-panels from the high-end HP are good price/performance. IPS-panels from NEC are the best though.

D4F
Jul 17, 2008, 12:07 PM
I have the 23" ACD and plan on purchasing another one.
Extremely good quality.

nightfly13
Jul 17, 2008, 12:37 PM
I have a Dell 30" (3007WFP) and a 2407WFP in Portrait mode (it pivots, but you can buy any 24" monitor and versa wall mount it 90 degrees rotated) and, while some would call it overkill, I'm sure pleased. I'm buying a buddy's 20" for good measure.

I would really like to emphasize that having 1920 vertical pixels for viewing web pages is fantastic. The 2560x1600 for most of my small windows (mail, finder, IM clients, iTunes etc.) and then the 24 showing MASSIVE webpage real estate. I generally prefer widescreen monitors, but for web pages, sure is nice to have 'em turned and it's so easy to do in OS X.

If I was to have only 1, then I wouldn't put it in portrait mode, but if you can swing 2, one in each direction is a great compromise.

MatchFrame
Jul 18, 2008, 11:59 AM
Here's another vote for the Dell 2408WFP. I just bought a Mac Pro with one of these. Looks gorgeous.

1920x1200, HDMI, Dual DVI, VGA, Component, Built-in Media Card reader, 4 USB ports, landscape/portrait swivel, PIP, and great color. All for a very nice price.

kobhart
Jul 19, 2008, 12:08 PM
Ditto on the 2408. It's great. The extra USB ports are convenient, and I've made use of the media card reader. I've got a region free dvd player hooked up with the component so I can switch over and watch movies. I've plugged my brother's PS3 and it looked fantastic. When I get my own I can simply plug it into the HDMI port and play games and watch bluray in full hi-def. No need for a TV.
I have no complaints.

Mac pro 8
Jul 19, 2008, 02:12 PM
I would like to 2nd that notion. I also have a Mac with Dell 2408.:p

AppleNewton
Jul 19, 2008, 02:24 PM
I was looking at the HPw2408 (with DVI) perhaps the HDMI model....i found a decent one for a good price (new) and the Dell 2408 (as it has alot of options)

however i dont know how well the color replication and backlighting is for those screens.

but ive heard nothing but the best of those two monitors. so my choice will be between those two.

jjahshik32
Jul 19, 2008, 02:48 PM
looks like the dell 2408 got a alot of the votes around here. Whats the cheapest you guys can get one for? If I can find one for 380-450 Id buy one. Also if I don't buy one directly from dell but its sealed with 1 year standard warranty and say I get a dead/stuck pixel, would dell replace it for me??

YahonMaizosz
Jul 19, 2008, 09:06 PM
looks like the dell 2408 got a alot of the votes around here. Whats the cheapest you guys can get one for? If I can find one for 380-450 Id buy one. Also if I don't buy one directly from dell but its sealed with 1 year standard warranty and say I get a dead/stuck pixel, would dell replace it for me??

YES.. DELL will replace it..

They replaced my 3007WFP-HC in just 2 days.. They overnight the new display and I received it next day at 9am.. That is some REAL service..:D

The best thing, I can return the old display anytime I want and they even paid for it also.

MacHappytjg
Jul 19, 2008, 09:46 PM
buy a tv problems solved could get a good one for 600 espically in the states if thats where your located

TheStrudel
Jul 19, 2008, 09:58 PM
Terrible idea. For one, TVs are big with low pixel density or low resolution, consume lots of power, and aside from being unsuited in other ways for computer use (few have DVI ports, for example. Yes, I know you can use DVI-HDMI but there's a reason there are screws on DVI cables), most have TN panels. As has been discussed on this forum time and time again, TN panels are not a great solution. And you couldn't get a 1080p TV for $600. We've already listed three monitors you could get for $600 that could do 1080p, and none of them were even TN panels. No, that option isn't meant for a desktop.

teohyc
Jul 20, 2008, 07:34 AM
I've the old Dell 2405 for years and it's still performing.

At the end of the day, you'll be looking at the screen and not the design of the monitor most of the time.

kobhart
Jul 20, 2008, 08:46 AM

Dell has a three year limited warranty that comes standard. You pay extra for additional years, but the three years is included in the price. As far as I know you would get that even if you went through a different vendor.

skye12
Jul 20, 2008, 09:12 AM
Dell has a three year limited warranty that comes standard. You pay extra for additional years, but the three years is included in the price. As far as I know you would get that even if you went through a different vendor.

IF your Dell works great. Consider yourself lucky. Had way too many friends wind up dealing time after time with the Dell customer "MISERY" department.

jjahshik32
Jul 27, 2008, 02:45 AM
buy a tv problems solved could get a good one for 600 espically in the states if thats where your located

I already have a 52" sony bravia xbr4 and I'm not going to use that as my main screen for the mac pro.

TheStrudel
Jul 27, 2008, 10:05 AM
Heh, I wouldn't imagine one uses a pro screen from their couch. Funny to imagine, though. 52" feels monstrous. How's the quality on the screen, out of curiosity?

jjahshik32
Jul 27, 2008, 02:52 PM
Heh, I wouldn't imagine one uses a pro screen from their couch. Funny to imagine, though. 52" feels monstrous. How's the quality on the screen, out of curiosity?

The sony bravia xbr4 is one of the best jaw dropping screen's I've ever laid my eye candy's on!

1080p just looks crazy especially with motion enhancer. Its like I've never seen TRUE hd and all this time saw fake hd until I saw it on the bravia =D

When I watch a movie and especially in 1080p or 720p the picture and glass is so amazing that it looks like I'm peaking through a window watching live action in real life.

My friends see it and their just stunned as well, like man the hd I've been viewing all this time seems like crap or fake hehe.

Well it better be, bought it 8 months ago for $3899 finally when it dropped from $4499.

jjahshik32
Jul 27, 2008, 03:11 PM
I've been reading alot of reviews and I think I'm going to stick with my initial decision with the 23" ACD... now thinking if I should go ahead and get the mac pro now or wait until nehalem since the early announcement (hoping for late october release).

nanofrog
Jul 27, 2008, 03:16 PM
Wait if you can, buy now if you can't. :)

adevejian
Jul 27, 2008, 06:06 PM
Although I love the look of the ACD's, the ghosting has been a big issue for me as I use them at work all the time for graphics/video work. The Dell 2405FPW 24" I'm currently working on at home has never once had image burns or any problems although it isn't as visually appetizing as the ACD's.

voxnj
Jul 27, 2008, 06:24 PM
If you want to go 30", a few non-apple to consider:

NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi 30" widescreen 2100
Samsung SyncMaster 305t 1400 no hdcp
Dell 3007Wfp HC 1300

I wouldn't go with any monitor that doesn't have HDCP capability, that is if you ever want to watch blue ray anything on it.

Rendition
Jul 29, 2008, 09:40 PM
Doublesight and HP are going to release new IPS panels in the next few weeks, so I would wait for those if you can. Doublesight will be 26" and HP will be 24".

Mangaroo
Jul 30, 2008, 02:57 AM
466 or so dell 30" ?

http://emioni.com/product_info.php?currency=GBP&products_id=6542

shipping shows up as 22--i know i know..too good to be true etc

acarle208
Jul 30, 2008, 09:11 AM
Dell 2409 1920 x1080 DVI HDMI VGA 379$

TheStrudel
Jul 30, 2008, 10:18 AM
Doublesight and HP are going to release new IPS panels in the next few weeks, so I would wait for those if you can. Doublesight will be 26" and HP will be 24".

I was given to understand that Doublesight's upgrade to the 265W used the same panel, but changed the bezel, stand, and added an HDMI port. Are you thinking of the 27" and 30" displays they're going to release, or is my information wrong and they're actually changing the panel on the 26"?

4God
Jul 30, 2008, 11:35 AM
Dell 2409 1920 x1080 DVI HDMI VGA 379$

Wow, good find. It looks like it's similar to the 2408 minus the extra ports. I just ordered one.

EDIT: I stand corrected, it's more like the E248WFP since it has no height adjustment and no USB ports. Not sure about the screen though, I may be canceling this one.

EDIT 2: Cancelled. I wish Apple would drop the price just a little on those displays though.