PDA

View Full Version : Not Reading any Discs

Mkeller1397
Jul 14, 2008, 03:44 PM
Hi everyone

I just purchased a mac pro about 4 months ago and I love it, I have never had a problem with it until today, I went to install a new program on it and it did not even read it, it made a hi pitched sound for a short time then stopped, waited about 10 seconds did the same thing. After a couple times of doing this it would eject the disc, so I figured I would try another disc, I have tried many differen discs such as games, cds, programs and nothing has worked, I am out of Ideas and don't know what to do.

Thanks for any suggestions.
-Mike

dbam987
Jul 14, 2008, 03:49 PM
Sounds like the drive went bad. It happens. If there is an Apple Store near you, you can take it there for them to check it out and replace it for you. Since you've only had it for 4 months, you are definitely covered by the warranty.

Mkeller1397
Jul 14, 2008, 08:05 PM
uh.. is there any way to test this, like a program i can dl to run a test on it?

Mkeller1397
Jul 14, 2008, 08:25 PM
Sorry guys I don't mean to be posting so much, but just found out that if I put the discs in that came with the computer that they work and the computer is able to read these with out any problems at all.
Does this mean that the drive isnt bad? or can it still be gone?

Thanks
-Mike

rpaloalto
Jul 14, 2008, 09:21 PM
The disks that you are trying, other than apple install disks. Are the manufactured disks, or were they burned on another computer?

Sounds like your drive is out. I would call apple and tell them to send you another dvd drive.

Mkeller1397
Jul 15, 2008, 11:43 AM
Alright I did a few new tests and A dvd movie worked fine, then I tried a CD, not burned, it did not work, so I tried a burned cd, Did not work, Then I tried a World of Warcraft disc, no good, then i tried a Sims 2 Disc, works fine....

I have no idea where to go from here...

Any help would be much appreciated ?

Thanks
Mike

dbam987
Jul 15, 2008, 11:52 AM
It could be the lazer on it has some dust or dirt that is preventing disc's from being read or written to. Your best bet it to call up Apple support or take the Mac Pro to a nearby Apple Store (that has a service department) to have them take a look. Take the disc's that are causing the issue as well to help explain your case.

Hope that helps.

Mkeller1397
Jul 15, 2008, 12:20 PM
Alright I'm going to do that, ill keep you guys posted.
Thanks for all the help
-Mike