PDA

View Full Version : Classic used for jogging

mattyb240
Jul 14, 2008, 04:31 PM
Simple and stupid i know, but i am concerned about the moving parts in the hard drive, is it ok to take it jogging?:D

Thanks

DeaconGraves
Jul 14, 2008, 04:35 PM
I used to jog with a 5th Gen iPod a while back. While I don't think you can do any permanent damage to it, I recall it locking up when skipping to a new song, requiring a reboot. If you're not running too intensively, you might be okay.

Not to mention that the thing's pretty darn heavy (at least compared to a shuffle or nano)

Teddy66
Jul 14, 2008, 05:29 PM
I haven't heard of any problems. Just get a good sports band for it. Unless you fall a lot there really isn't too much vibration transfered to it.

CBA
Jul 14, 2008, 11:41 PM
I would get a shuffle instead (cheap and lite). I had a few friends who lost their iPods to running as they used the regular (classic?) with a moving hard drive. I got a nano that I have taken running for 1-2 years with no problems.

Edit: btw threads on Runnersworld forum seem to agree on moveable parts in HD leading to failure with running

Wayne1003
Jul 15, 2008, 03:36 AM
I would like to buy the iPod shuffle for jogging but I am not sure whether it can live long or lot. I hope it can be with me for at least 5 years.

Is it possible?:confused:

dextertangocci
Jul 15, 2008, 05:28 AM
Not good for the Hard Drive IMO

reclusivemonkey
Jul 15, 2008, 06:13 AM
Its worth noting the Nike Plus system will not run on a Classic as it is stated the movement is not good for the Classic.

magid
Jul 15, 2008, 01:18 PM
I wouldnt be too concerned if you are using an arm band or have it clipped to your hip. The ipod minis were advertised for running and they had regular hdds in them.

QCassidy352
Jul 15, 2008, 03:13 PM
I used to run with a HD based ipod, and it would lock up sometimes. You can do it, but it's really not what it's designed for. You should consider getting a shuffle, which is only $50 now, and perfect for running.