Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
It looks pretty good (esp. that 13fps mode), but I find that all superzooms give up something in terms of quality, and 10MP jammed into a smaller sensor usually doesn't resolve near the advertised amount.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Should be good for high speed photo's.

No, SLRs are faster. With the SLR you trip the shutter and there is zero delay. The image is captured exactly at the split second you want. The SLR will also have very much better optics and allow you to shoot with at higher ISO and therefore faster shutter speed. You can get into a good used SLR for about $350

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
No, SLRs are faster. With the SLR you trip the shutter and there is zero delay. The image is captured exactly at the split second you want. The SLR will also have very much better optics and allow you to shoot with at higher ISO and therefore faster shutter speed. You can get into a good used SLR for about $350

Sorry but my dad wanted to spend like 300 max and he didn't want me to get a used one either. My camera is still good!

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Yes it's not a bad camera. But, it won't even touch a used DSLR in terms of image quality and speed. It's not all about FPS, because with non SLR cameras there is a delay from when you press the shutter release, and when the shutter actually opens. IMO, save up and get a used DSLR or even a new starter DSLR in a few years.

Don

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
Yes it's not a bad camera. But, it won't even touch a used DSLR in terms of image quality and speed. It's not all about FPS, because with non SLR cameras there is a delay from when you press the shutter release, and when the shutter actually opens. IMO, save up and get a used DSLR or even a new starter DSLR in a few years.

Don

I will thanks for the advice.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Buy it, use it, love it... :D You will probably outgrow that camera eventually but in the meantime you will be improving your technique and learning more about the technology while getting better pictures than with what you have right now... but I predict that eventually you will only be willing to settle for the image quality and superior handling of a dslr camera.;)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Not meaning to dis the OP or the camera he bought, but having seen a few threads like this on the forum over the past year or so...

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask opinions, oh, I don't know - BEFORE buying the camera? :D

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Not meaning to dis the OP or the camera he bought, but having seen a few threads like this on the forum over the past year or so...

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask opinions, oh, I don't know - BEFORE buying the camera? :D

From what I understand, his Father bought it for him, which probably means that he had no idea that his Father was buying it fir him. But yea, I do understand what you're saying.

Don

P.S.

I love your avatar, isn't it the "Picasso logo"?

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Motorsports photography will be very limited with a point and shoot. Too much shutter lag. You also want something that can do 3-5 shots/sec. I agree that getting a used SLR is better not only for the improved shutter and sensor you get, but for more options in terms of lenses.

_ACT2896.jpg

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
Hey guys guess what I cancelled my order because they said it was in stock but it wasn't and i'm not going to try and wait and then my event I'm taking photo's for let it pass. So maybe i'll look into a SLR camera!

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Hey guys guess what I cancelled my order because they said it was in stock but it wasn't and i'm not going to try and wait and then my event I'm taking photo's for let it pass. So maybe i'll look into a SLR camera!
You're gonna need an SLR if you really want to pursue the race photography. No way around that. I looked at your photos, and they look really nice....

If you don't mind some feedback/advice, the cars look like they're standing still & as a result the pictures lack a sense of motion and action. This is because your shutter is too fast. What you need is to switch to a lower shutter speed and start developing a good panning technique. Try using shutter priority and start shooting around 1/200 sec, give or take. That will give you some nice wheel and background blur and give the photos a sense of action going on. Check the link in my sig and you'll find plenty of examples in my photo gallery. I also have a race picture thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/483841/

Of course, you'll be very limited doing this with a P&S camera because of the shutter lag and inability to shoot in continuous mode.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
Thanks RaceTripper! I was thinking about getting the Nikon D40 but the thing is I keep thinking if the megapixel's aren't high then the photo won't be any good! I saw your photo's and they are awesome! What kind of camera do you use? My mac price is like 330 but I'm sure I can find one cheaper. Thanks

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Thanks RaceTripper! I was thinking about getting the Nikon D40 but the thing is I keep thinking if the megapixel's aren't high then the photo won't be any good! I saw your photo's and they are awesome! What kind of camera do you use? My mac price is like 330 but I'm sure I can find one cheaper. Thanks

6mp is more than enough, they'll look and print better than the vast majority of photos from compacts, 12mp or not. No camera made today has too few pixels for reasonable print sizes. At any rate, the lens would become the problem.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA

More megapixels do not necessarily mean better quality photos.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I use a D200 with a Nikkor 70-200/2.8 AF-S VR. This is not a cheap rig. But a D40 is a great starting point. Check out KEH.com for used cameras. Very reputable, and they always have stuff that is in better condition than they even claim.

The D40 has plenty of resolution. I agree what the others say about Mp count, to a point. You will find that you do a lot of cropping. With that said, I can do 100% crops and still get great prints at large sizes. At 6MP, the D40 will be very worthy as a starter SLR and will serve you well. In any case, it will be way better for motorsports than any 10-12 MP point 'n' shoot you can find.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
For motorsports you might consider getting a used D40 and try to get a 70-300 lens to shoot with. The D60 and D40 you linked include a slow 18-55 lens, which are OK for portrait and wide angle stuff (paddock, people, etc) , but will have very limited usefulness for shooting the race cars. I don't know much about drags, but for sports car racing you need to be able to reach 130-180 mm minimum. Longer is even better (wish I had a fast 40mm prime).

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
Well I just ordered my D40 with a 18-55mm lens all for 350.00! I'll buy a better lens in a month or 2 but this one should be good for right now. Thanks for all the help RaceTripper. I'm just waiting for my mom to come home so I can get the Credit Card! lol I'll order a lens in a little. I bigger and better one.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Well I just ordered my D40 with a 18-55mm lens all for 350.00! I'll buy a better lens in a month or 2 but this one should be good for right now. Thanks for all the help RaceTripper. I'm just waiting for my mom to come home so I can get the Credit Card! lol I'll order a lens in a little. I bigger and better one.
Good for you! Enjoy, and post some pictures when you start using your new camera. You will never regret stepping up from a P&S even if it seems like you're giving up some features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.